The Athletic Article (1 Viewer)

Bertola

Decent Article on The Athletic about us and our playoff hopes today

Coventry City are in hunt mode and prepared to pounce on any sign of weakness from the teams above them in the fight for the Championship play-offs.

Along with Norwich City and West Bromwich Albion, Mark Robins’ side are hoping to upset one of Millwall, Blackburn Rovers and Luton Town and sneak into the top six in their remaining eight games.

ADVERTISEMENT

They have a trump card in their arsenal — goal machine Viktor Gyokeres. Their Swedish talisman leads the Championship’s ‘goal contribution’ charts alongside Middlesbrough’s Chuba Akpom with a combined total of 26 goals and assists.

But there is much more to Coventry than meets the eye when trying to explain why they could be on track for their best season yet under Robins, who, in his second spell at the club, is the third-longest serving manager in the EFL (after Accrington Stanley’s John Coleman and Harrogate Town’s Simon Weaver).

Gradual improvement on the pitch over the season, as well as positive news off it in January with Doug King becoming the majority owner, has been crucial as City have climbed from the foot of the table following four straight losses in late August to their current high of eighth, three points off the top six. Playing in variations of a 3-4-2-1 formation, Coventry have an impressive defensive record and are able to use width with the versatility of leading man Gyokeres to their advantage in an effective system.

Their 17 clean sheets this season is the best record in the Championship and only Burnley (29), Sheffield United (33) and Luton (35) have conceded fewer goals than Coventry’s 37. It is a vast improvement on last season’s 10 clean sheets as City finished 12th and is helped by their league-low rate of conceding from set pieces with just two goals scored by the opposition all season from corners and free kicks.

Out of possession, Robins has his side well drilled and active as they lead the Championship for most tackles won (432, Sheffield United next best with 422) and ball recoveries (2263, Luton next best with 2122). This fits with what we see from the way they set up with three at the back, as shown in the still below from the 4-1 win over Blackpool, and the way they use a strong defence as a platform to attack.

Coventry can build from the back starting in this instance by using Ben Sheaf, who has dropped deeper from midfield to offer an outlet, but they are not the type of team to dwell on the ball or overplay as shown by their league-high 97 ‘direct attacks’ (a possession that starts in a team’s defensive half and results in a shot or touch inside the opposition penalty area within 15 seconds). That total of 97 is at least 30 more than any other Championship team this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

On the whole, their style is fast, with the second highest ‘direct speed’ (how quickly the ball moves upfield) of 1.67 metres per second in the division but does not rely on long aerial balls to Gyokeres.

When Coventry win the ball back they immediately think forward — and fast. The clip of their second goal in February’s 2-0 win over Rotherham United scored by Gyokeres illustrates the type of goal that they have scored multiple times this season after striking fast from a ball recovery.

Dutch midfielder Gustavo Hamer is vital to much of Coventry’s attacking play as part of an exciting and youthful midfield that has seen impressive performances from ex-Arsenal academy product Sheaf and Aston Villa academy product Callum O’Hare.

Hamer’s figure of six passes into the final third per game is only bettered by five players with more than 900 Championship minutes this season and the 25-year-old’s connection with fellow attackers has brought seven assists. Below is a map of his open-play passes that shows how effective he is at progressing the ball into dangerous areas — a trait also illustrated by his tally of 1.9 ‘progressive passes’ (completed passes that move the ball towards the opponent’s goal at least 10 yards) per 90 minutes.

Some of the lighter areas, reflecting a higher concentration of passes, from Hamer are to wide areas that reflect the advanced positions wing-backs Jake Bidwell and Fankaty Dabo adopt. Gyokeres likes to drift wide to be fed into the channel and run onto the ball, which is one of his strengths as well as his hold-up play.

The 24-year-old will be in demand again this summer but his value in the short term for Coventry is in his ability to create by running at players or even when he is man-marked. A repeated passing action in Coventry’s attacks this season has been to work the ball out wide and then pull the cross back to the top of the box allowing one of the central midfielders extra time on the ball at the top of the box.

ADVERTISEMENT

This worked to good effect for Sheaf’s goal against Blackpool as shown in the still below where Coventry break quickly, as is their strength, with Hamer releasing Gyokeres on the left with Sheaf in support centrally.

Blackpool’s defenders are so concerned about the threat Gyokeres poses that four have drifted to the left so when he crosses the ball to Sheaf, who has not been tracked, he has time for a touch before a well-executed finish.

In another example, Bidwell is in an advanced position on the left and opts not to use Gyokeres even though he is in a good position — instead, he cuts the ball back to Jamie Allen, who scored the opener.

Gyokeres’ movement poses a real threat and defenders are not wrong to be wary of his presence in the box as his shot map below shows how prolific he is in that area. Only Sheffield United’s Oli McBurnie has a better goal contribution rate of 0.57 non-penalty expected goals (xG) and assists (xA) this season, with McBurnie’s sample coming from half as many minutes as Gyokeres. Those ‘expected’ figures suggest that Gyokeres is frequently finding himself in good goalscoring positions and creating high-quality chances — his goals are not simply coming from lucky potshots and his assists are not a result of his team-mates doing all the hard work.

Unbeaten in nine matches, including seven points from their three games against play-off rivals Luton, Millwall and Sunderland, Coventry are building a head of steam coming into the final throes of the Championship season.

Last season saw Nottingham Forest make a late surge into the top six and in 2019-20, Swansea City snuck into the play-offs on the final day. This season, it seems the late, well-timed push is coming from Coventry.

And in the words of manager Robins before the last international break of the season, “You have got to dare to dream.”

shmmeee

I always feel when everyone starts to take notice is when it all falls apart. Will need to summon the spirit of the L1 campaign post Christmas and take a couple of unexpected scalps I reckon if we’re to do it.

Some amazing stats though, love how quickly we progress.

rob9872

Ohare hasn’t made too much of an impact though
Bollocks!

Our form massively improved when he returned to the team. I suspect if we still had him we'd be even higher as it tookus a while to adjust without him until Palmer got settled and then we were unfortunately derailed again. Without O'Hare's short cameo run of games pre-world cup that had everyone believing, confidence and expectation would be looking the other way over our shoulder rather than upwards.

Great article by the way from the OP.

Sky Blue Pete

Bollocks!

Our form massively improved when he returned to the team. I suspect if we still had him we'd be even higher as it tookus a while to adjust without him until Palmer got settled and then we were unfortunately derailed again. Without O'Hare's short cameo run of games pre-world cup that had everyone believing, confidence and expectation would be looking the other way over our shoulder rather than upwards.

Great article by the way from the OP.
Ok how many games did he play ??

rob9872

So that's 57 points from 38 games currently.
27 games without him - 34 points
11 games with him - 23 points

On the same ratios over the season points per game would be 2nd with him or 15th without

rob9872

I'm not suggesting either of those would be the case, simply the stats. There are a whole load of reasons we are where we are, key injuries beyond him (Fadz, Palmer Godden and more), Wasps, ground issues, squad depth, 6 of first 7 games away, confidence in being rooted to the foot of the table. But facts are facts and we're simply a much better team with O'Hare in than not.

shmmeee

I'm not suggesting either of those would be the case, simply the stats. There are a whole load of reasons we are where we are, key injuries beyond him (Fadz, Palmer Godden and more), Wasps, ground issues, squad depth, 6 of first 7 games away, confidence in being rooted to the foot of the table. But facts are facts and we're simply a much better team with O'Hare in than not.

If he’d been fit (and not sold) all season, or even just after his first injury, we’d be top 4. I’d put money on it.

Irish Sky Blue

I agree, I think being without O’Hare has been a major factor in why we aren’t firmly in the play off positions. Robins has found a way to be competitive with out him (and subsequently Allen and Palmer) but I felt we were a much more fluent and dangerous team with him playing. I think his presence also helped Gyokeres to shine even more. This despite the fact that I didn’t feel Callum quite hit the heights he achieved last season.
The fact we are where we are is a tremendous tribute to the players and staff as so many problems have been overcome to achieve what we have so far.

Irish Sky Blue

I suppose the reality is that if he’d not got injured we wouldn’t have had him for those 11 games he’d have been at Burnley
You can then speculate what Robins would have done with the money and who he would have been able to bring in. You would think that either with O’Hare or the replacements brought in we would have had a better squad and therefore a higher league position.

Grendel

You can then speculate what Robins would have done with the money and who he would have been able to bring in. You would think that either with O’Hare or the replacements brought in we would have had a better squad and therefore a higher league position.

I suspect most of the money would have been used to pay off ever increasing loans

Sky Blue Pete

Yep fair comments

fatso

We could be pushing for second place had it not been for those rugby playing wankers totaly fucking the pitch up.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

So that's 57 points from 38 games currently.
27 games without him - 34 points
11 games with him - 23 points

On the same ratios over the season points per game would be 2nd with him or 15th without

You might as well do statistics which incorporate the weather if you are going to frame it that much. It's nonsense. You haven't factored in four of the games he was involved in where he was only on the pitch a few minutes. He's scored no goals, and got 3 assists this season. We are also hammering teams more recently when he hasn't been playing. Not to mention other players thriving in (what may be a coincidence) his absence.

We definitely have something different when he plays, crucially more energy, but what does this translate to? He is also extremely wasteful. There were people on here giving out barrages of abuse when he got injured towards those saying we would be alright, going on about how we would struggle to win a game and our season was over. We are currently in the form of our lives and we've barely heard a pip out of those sentimental about him for weeks.

Would we have been so effective in the last ten games if he had been playing for example? No one can honestly and truly answer that, but we have certainly done a million times better than a lot of people thought we would without him. If we get to the playoffs and win them, what then? We would have won the FA Cup and got Champions League qualification if he had played? He's a good player, and I do think he has some attributes you don't get from others, but talk of us being comfortably in the playoffs if he had been fit is getting carried away.

rob9872

You might as well do statistics which incorporate the weather if you are going to frame it that much. It's nonsense. You haven't factored in four of the games he was involved in where he was only on the pitch a few minutes. He's scored no goals, and got 3 assists this season. We are also hammering teams more recently when he hasn't been playing. Not to mention other players thriving in (what may be a coincidence) his absence.

We definitely have something different when he plays, crucially more energy, but what does this translate to? He is also extremely wasteful. There were people on here giving out barrages of abuse when he got injured towards those saying we would be alright, going on about how we would struggle to win a game and our season was over. We are currently in the form of our lives and we've barely heard a pip out of those sentimental about him for weeks.

Would we have been so effective in the last ten games if he had been playing for example? No one can honestly and truly answer that, but we have certainly done a million times better than a lot of people thought we would without him. If we get to the playoffs and win them, what then? We would have won the FA Cup and got Champions League qualification if he had played? He's a good player, and I do think he has some attributes you don't get from others, but talk of us being comfortably in the playoffs if he had been fit is getting carried away.
If you try a bit harder you could even miss the point more.

rob9872

You said we would be second in the league with him. It's there above, written in English by you.

What point have I missed?
Perhaps you're simply taking it our if context to be a dick?

I didnt say we'd be second with him I said the continued points with and without him would give those positions, even qualified why that wouldn't be the case in the very next post. You of course have read and know that but doesn't fit your narrative. I simply pointed that we were a better team with him in it. Ffs this place can be tedious.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Perhaps you're simply taking it our if context to be a dick?

I didnt say we'd be second with him I said the continued points with and without him would give those positions, even qualified why that wouldn't be the case in the very next post. You of course have read and know that but doesn't fit your narrative. I simply pointed that we were a better team with him in it. Ffs this place can be tedious.

How am I being a dick? You've posted a series of posts saying how much higher we would be in the league with COH, and then finalised that by saying 'facts are facts, we are a better team with him'.

You're saying I'm missing the point, but if you aren't saying what I have just quoted above (your literal words), then what the fuck are you saying?

rob9872

How am I being a dick? You've posted a series of posts saying how much higher we would be in the league with COH, and then finalised that by saying 'facts are facts, we are a better team with him'.

You're saying I'm missing the point, but if you aren't saying what I have just quoted above (your literal words), then what the fuck are you saying?
That wasn't the post you quoted though, you posted that I said we'd be second with him. I didn't. I said the ppg ratio when he played was equivalent to second. Two massively different things.

Also, if you don't think we are better team with than without him then I don't know where to go with this, not only stats but so abundantly clear he contributes positively.

slowpoke

I suspect most of the money would have been used to pay off ever increasing loans
We would have got pretty well Jack shit from any money received for O’Hare or any other player we sold for big money look what happened to the Hyam money ?
Imo sisu we’re after a last ditch payday before pissing off.

Users who are viewing this thread