Ex-councillor Brian Patton to stand v Ann Lucas on Get Cov Back to the Ricoh platform (3 Viewers)

lewys33

I cant believe politics makes its way on to a football forum so much. You've got to laugh haven't you?

covcity4life

you have got my vote brian!

well done KCIC- proper movement by fans to get ccfc back and giving them a chance to move forward.

_brian_

Is he _brian_? If he was, and I was eligible to vote, he'd get mine everytime.

LOL!

Very nice of you to say so, lordsummerisle, but I don't know where yours* has been!!! LOL!

(*When you said** 'mine' I've purposely misinterpreted it to mean your peni5 for the sake of some Friday fun and frolics!!!)

(**Typed.)

duffer

Does it matter who he supports?

All the "usual suspects" getting their knickers in a twist. We only need MMM, Schmeee and SBJ for a full "condemnation" set. Funny how holding a banner with muppets on outside an empty office is "doing something" and this isn't.

You've got to laugh, haven't you?

You know Torch is angry when he talks about people getting their 'knickers in a twist'.

I'd absolutely agree that this is 'doing something', my concern is that it's doing the wrong thing.

Houdi

So, sorry if this has been asked before, but what exactly is this protest parties policy on the Ricoh?
Does it really matter anyway. To be honest you could probably stick a red rosette on Tim Fisher and he would get elected in Holbrooks. Even if by some miracle he was to win,the voting arithmetic changes from what 54-0 to 53-1,it would be a 48 hour story. Whether people like it or not most people in Coventry aren't willing to go to the stake over the Ricoh Arena, and certainly not in favour of SISU acquiring it just to aid an exit strategy, to help them recover some/all of their losses.

martcov

Just viewed the YouTube video. The guy is a joke and a Tottenham fan as well. The only plus in the whole thing is that CCFC's plight gets a mention. Yes it does matter that he is a Tottenham fan as no-one can claim that a passionate CCFC fan is fighting for his club ( which may have got him some sympathy votes ). He isn't. He has been offered the chance to get his name in the papers and taken it. He cannot change anything. A vote for him is a wasted vote.

RegTheDonk

It shouldn't matter if he's a Spurs fan but if we're picking up on that, plus all the other potentially negative points, think how the other parties will milk this spin.

I agree with martcov though, there is far too much work to be done in that ward to overturn the reds.

Can he get his deposit back now, or is that gone forever? ;)

covcity4life

Just viewed the YouTube video. The guy is a joke and a Tottenham fan as well. The only plus in the whole thing is that CCFC's plight gets a mention. Yes it does matter that he is a Tottenham fan as no-one can claim that a passionate CCFC fan is fighting for his club ( which may have got him some sympathy votes ). He isn't. He has been offered the chance to get his name in the papers and taken it. He cannot change anything. A vote for him is a wasted vote.

lol council employeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Rob S

Not wanting to step into a good ol' Friday Night Fight Night on SBT :whistle: but I'll pick up on a few things from yesterday and move onto more a bit later.

As i have stated many times I have a distrust of the current owners and in light of that my preference would be for the club to own 100% of a longer lease and CCC retaining the freehold with the lease having triggers that should certain events occur (place the club in admin, separate club and lease etc) the lease is terminated and returns to CCC. Would give the club all the benefits of ownership and both supporters and the council some protection against anything underhand from SISU or future owners.
This is pretty spot on in my view. Brian / GCBTTR aren’t pushing a particular strategy apart from ‘get round the table and negotiate’.

There is so much potential variation between various leasehold options & strictures, details to be worked out WRT existing contracts and so forth.

One very, very important option needs to be thought about too: A multi-party agreement that would transfer the stadium to the club and then the club & stadium to a new owner. Everybody wins and this is something we’ll be talking about more as things progress I think.

This is playing into SISU's hands. I'm not a leftie, but I am proud of the way that our council has not allowed itself to be blackmailed by SISU. Neither you nor Patton will get any votes from me.
With all due respect, you might want to question the reasons for your pride a bit.

Are you…

Proud of the fact that £millions less is coming into the city because the football team doesn’t play there?

Proud of the fact that rather than speak out about their plans for the future or ask questions councillors are being gagged by their leaders?

Proud of the fact that the opposition, rather than speak out, are complicit with the ruling group? Is this democracy in action in Coventry?

Proud of the fact that major investors in the city are being put off by the prospect of getting caught up in a similar scenario?

And so forth.

It is completely ridiculous that a council is refusing to negotiate on a stadium with a limited value and in doing so is preventing millions of pounds from being spent in the city.

So it's all part of a wider strategy by all fans groups is it? Have you consulted and got the backing of all of our fans groups involved in this?
So what pressure is Brian going to put on Sisu/Otium ?because as of yet (and you have had weeks to at least come up with something) we've not had a single thing about pressure on the most important people (Sisu/Otium) who can get us back to the Ricoh.

Coincidence is it to have interesting things come out against the Council in time for the JR?

Can you really guarantee that this candidate is totally independent because so far you have not been and also that if he was elected that no city services would suffer as a result of this?
We keep in touch with the Trust and talk about a lot. However, the point about a wider strategy by all fans groups is that we are doing our bit by holding the Council to account, KCIC/NOPM/Etc. are working on Sisu & the Trust cover areas in between (e.g. club accounts). It’s not a co-ordinated strategy by any means but we (GCBTTR) decided to fit into a particular gap and we see that as being part of the whole range of protest and action that needs to take place.

You’ve got a good point about the coincidence but it might be founded on something else. Why do you think that the JR is happening so long after the appeal was decided?

martcov

You talk a lot. Ok. Why is the JR taking so long then? What is your strategy? Getting people together implies that you are talking to all sides. Not heard anything from ML that he wants to talk to CCC about purchasing a stadium. If SISU haven't shown interest in negotiating, what do you expect Brian to achieve?

J

Jack Griffin

In my view it is best to wait till the JR is done, then all the evidence will be in the open and an impartial judgement will have been made.

All these people trying to pressurise the council or cut a deal on the magic figure of £3M make me think that SISU are on the run & nearing the end of their grasp on the club..

The Gentleman

Not wanting to step into a good ol' Friday Night Fight Night on SBT :whistle: but I'll pick up on a few things from yesterday and move onto more a bit later.

This is pretty spot on in my view. Brian / GCBTTR aren’t pushing a particular strategy apart from ‘get round the table and negotiate’.

There is so much potential variation between various leasehold options & strictures, details to be worked out WRT existing contracts and so forth.

One very, very important option needs to be thought about too: A multi-party agreement that would transfer the stadium to the club and then the club & stadium to a new owner. Everybody wins and this is something we’ll be talking about more as things progress I think.

With all due respect, you might want to question the reasons for your pride a bit.

Are you…

Proud of the fact that £millions less is coming into the city because the football team doesn’t play there?

Proud of the fact that rather than speak out about their plans for the future or ask questions councillors are being gagged by their leaders?

Proud of the fact that the opposition, rather than speak out, are complicit with the ruling group? Is this democracy in action in Coventry?

Proud of the fact that major investors in the city are being put off by the prospect of getting caught up in a similar scenario?

And so forth.

It is completely ridiculous that a council is refusing to negotiate on a stadium with a limited value and in doing so is preventing millions of pounds from being spent in the city.

We keep in touch with the Trust and talk about a lot. However, the point about a wider strategy by all fans groups is that we are doing our bit by holding the Council to account, KCIC/NOPM/Etc. are working on Sisu & the Trust cover areas in between (e.g. club accounts). It’s not a co-ordinated strategy by any means but we (GCBTTR) decided to fit into a particular gap and we see that as being part of the whole range of protest and action that needs to take place.

You’ve got a good point about the coincidence but it might be founded on something else. Why do you think that the JR is happening so long after the appeal was decided?

In answer to your last question, I would imagine that the council have bigger things on their mind such as planning for important things like local elections and deciding where to allocate money for the really important services in the city. Which is why i want to see exactly what is on your manifesto and should the unthinkable happen and your man gets in and it happens to affect those important services in some way and the good work that Ann Lucas is doing for the people of Coventry then I would imagine that there will be a lot more serious questions coming your way.

If your man does get in and then after the JR it comes to light that CCC and in particular Ann Lucas has done no wrong and proved that she at least tried to get CCFC back to Coventry, then will your man stand down straight away and issue an full apology for wasting everybodies time? You say at the top of your post that you aren't pushing any particular strategy but then lower down say that you want to hold the Council to account but then say you just want people to negotiate, it all sounds very confusing to me.

martcov

We have just had an impartial judgement, which the judge claimed to be a nil nil draw, but some want to believe that SISU won because they quoted excerpts from emails which mean CCC must be the bad guys and more will come out. Watch this space etc. etc.. So I think the JR may still not be the end of the dispute, especially if there are appeals.

L

limoncello

In answer to your last question, I would imagine that the council have bigger things on their mind such as planning for important things like local elections and deciding where to allocate money for the really important services in the city. Which is why i want to see exactly what is on your manifesto and should the unthinkable happen and your man gets in and it happens to affect those important services in some way and the good work that Ann Lucas is doing for the people of Coventry then I would imagine that there will be a lot more serious questions coming your way.

If your man does get in and then after the JR it comes to light that CCC and in particular Ann Lucas has done no wrong and proved that she at least tried to get CCFC back to Coventry, then will your man stand down straight away and issue an full apology for wasting everybodies time? You say at the top of your post that you aren't pushing any particular strategy but then lower down say that you want to hold the Council to account but then say you just want people to negotiate, it all sounds very confusing to me.

Whereabouts in Holbrooks do you live? Anywhere near the Parkgate? Is it any good nowadays? I haven't been in there since it became the New Parkgate Hotel or whatever it's called.

letsallsingtogether

Funny but they won't answer that one then again can't see why Grendel is backing a former CC Councillor he recons they are all incompetent?

Perhaps they can come up with a compelling reason as to why sisu can be entrusted with the stadium then?

The Gentleman

Whereabouts in Holbrooks do you live? Anywhere near the Parkgate? Is it any good nowadays? I haven't been in there since it became the New Parkgate Hotel or whatever it's called.

Well if you had anything about you then you would have seen that I have posted before about where I live and that is Browns Lane, so nice try. But then again maybe you have but you're going for a cheap laugh in which case, fuck me you're funny.

L

limoncello

Well if you had anything about you then you would have seen that I have posted before about where I live and that is Browns Lane, so nice try. But then again maybe you have but you're going for a cheap laugh in which case, fuck me you're funny.

I hadn't seen you post where you lived before, but then again I've got a life and don't spend all of my time on forums. It was just the way you were going on made me think you must be a potential voter. My aunt and uncle live just down the road from the Parkgate.

Thanks for the polite answer, anyway.

robbiethemole

I used to work at Browns Lane plant,.............................. but as a complete outsider can I ask how the hell this bloke is gonna "get everyone around the table" to negotiate when Seppala said she doesn't negotiate, and ML and TF can't string two sentences together without backtracking?

Weren't all the decisions regarding the Ricoh and the CVA rejection agreed by ALL parties in the Council? so why all the anger at Ann Lucas, is it just because she's the Council leader

Rob S

We have just had an impartial judgement, which the judge claimed to be a nil nil draw, but some want to believe that SISU won because they quoted excerpts from emails which mean CCC must be the bad guys and more will come out. Watch this space etc. etc.. So I think the JR may still not be the end of the dispute, especially if there are appeals.

Very important distinction needs to be highlighted here. The judge referred to the decision on costs as a nil-nil draw, not the outcome of the case. IIRC Simon Gilbert reported the latter but the transcript says otherwise.

martcov

Very important distinction needs to be highlighted here. The judge referred to the decision on costs as a nil-nil draw, not the outcome of the case. IIRC Simon Gilbert reported the latter but the transcript says otherwise.

No. The judge was referring to the whole case and when referring to the costs he said he would have ordered both parties to pay their own costs. ML tried to spin that in saying that SISU agreed to pay their costs because Joy recognized that Higgs was a charity. Utter bullshit and totally unnecessary if you intend at some time restarting negotiations with Higgs. This implies that SISU are not seeking negotiations. How then do you think someone of Brian's caliber can get SISU to the negotiating table?

duffer

From the transcript:

MR JUSTICE LEGGATT: ... These days, the usual approach is not, as it once was, to treat the counterclaim and the claim independently; it's to look overall at who the winner is and it seems to me that this is a case which has effectively ended as a nil-all draw, if I'm allowed to use the comparison.

He was talking about the award of costs, but he does that in reference to winners and losers. He refers specifically to the case ending as a nil-all draw. What conclusion did you draw, Rob?

Grendel

From the transcript:

MR JUSTICE LEGGATT: ... These days, the usual approach is not, as it once was, to treat the counterclaim and the claim independently; it's to look overall at who the winner is and it seems to me that this is a case which has effectively ended as a nil-all draw, if I'm allowed to use the comparison.

He was talking about the award of costs, but he does that in reference to winners and losers. He refers specifically to the case ending as a nil-all draw. What conclusion did you draw, Rob?

I'm rapidly drawing a conclusion about you.

Rob S

WRT Ann Lucas it is because she is leader so represents the Council as a whole. In an ideal world our slate would have been against Ann Lucas (Lab, Holbrook), Michael Gammon (Con, Earlsdon) Phil Townsend (Lab, Lower Stoke) & Julia Lepoidevin (Con, Woodlands) based on leadership (AL & PT) and marginality (MG & JL) and to cover both political parties.

If we were solely bothered about votes Brian Patton would run in Henley as that is where he has the best name recognition & polling record but that doesn't really make the point of calling the Council to account.

One thing I will say is that I like Ann Lucas a lot and there's nothing personal about this as far as I'm concerned, but she is the leader at the moment and has presided over the past 12 months of this saga (on the CCC side) so it's her that gets the fun of an extra opponent in her ward.

martcov

I'm rapidly drawing a conclusion about you.

What would that be? It seems to me that Justice Leggat was quite clear that he was referring to the "case" being a nil nil draw. Maybe that doesn't fit into your world view. Neither did the Higgs article. Nor that the costs were to be borne by both parties and not that Joy generously paid her own costs. I can't wait for the JR.....

RegTheDonk

WRT Ann Lucas it is because she is leader so represents the Council as a whole. In an ideal world our slate would have been against Ann Lucas (Lab, Holbrook), Michael Gammon (Con, Earlsdon) Phil Townsend (Lab, Lower Stoke) & Julia Lepoidevin (Con, Woodlands) based on leadership (AL & PT) and marginality (MG & JL) and to cover both political parties.

If we were solely bothered about votes Brian Patton would run in Henley as that is where he has the best name recognition & polling record but that doesn't really make the point of calling the Council to account.

One thing I will say is that I like Ann Lucas a lot and there's nothing personal about this as far as I'm concerned, but she is the leader at the moment and has presided over the past 12 months of this saga (on the CCC side) so it's her that gets the fun of an extra opponent in her ward.

Surely it would make more sense to fight on a front where you had a chance of getting in? From the inside, perhaps he could call the council to account?

Going up against and failing to beat Lucas sends the message that the council were right, or the general public don't care.

martcov

You still haven't answered my question. How do you expect Brian to get SISU to negotiate with the council when they are constantly maligning the council? If they want to restart negotiations, then Brian will have to stop them slagging off the council. There is no point trying to move the council until you get agreement from SISU on what they want and if they are prepared to negotiate. Up until now Joy doesn't do negotiations as they only waste time.

Users who are viewing this thread