Ex-councillor Brian Patton to stand v Ann Lucas on Get Cov Back to the Ricoh platform (1 Viewer)

Rob S

So nominations closed at 4pm today and we have a candidate standing in Holbrook ward (note singular for election ward name).

Here's an extract from the press release that went out earlier (full version here):

A former councillor is to stand on a ‘Get Cov Back To The Ricoh’ platform against Coventry City Council leader Ann Lucas in next month’s elections.

Experienced city politician Brian Patton will stand in the Holbrook ward in the May 22 council elections against the leader who has presided over a year of the bitter dispute which resulted in Coventry City Football Club playing home matches 35 miles away in Northampton.

Brian – a long-standing critic of the council’s involvement in the Ricoh Arena and how it has affected the club – aims to pressurise the council to do more to get the Sky Blues back to the council-owned stadium for next season.

The Get Cov Back To The Ricoh campaign – set up last year to represent fans and Coventry people who believe the club’s Ricoh return should be the priority whoever owns the club or stadium – launched its “Vote Them Out" campaign earlier this month. The launch included:

1. A demonstration for fans and the public on May 10 outside the Council House, at 1pm.
  2. A call for all voters to contact candidates including sitting councillors in their wards to ask what they would do to get the Sky Blues back to the Ricoh – and vote against them if they are not satisfied.
  3. To urge people to stand on a platform of Get Cov Back To The Ricoh.

The Get Cov Back To The Ricoh campaign is delighted today to announce that Brian Patton, a former Labour councillor, has thrown his hat into the ring in time for today’s close of nominations.

Brian has been a highly vocal public critic of the council’s involvement in the Ricoh Arena since a deal was approved in 2003 to build the stadium. He has also criticised the £14.4million secret council deal to bail-out the part-council owned Ricoh management company, Arena Coventry Limited, in January last year. That deal will next month be subject to a Judicial Review into whether it was a mis-use of taxpayers’ money.

Brian said: “I was approached by the ‘Get Cov Back to The Ricoh’ campaign team to stand in these elections and jumped at the chance, because I believe the way the council has handled this issue has been appalling. People will remember that I raised concerns about the Ricoh Arena when it was first discussed – and the concerns I raised then have been proven to be the case.

[More here]

Rob S

A few more things

We spoke to a lot of people about standing (I have the fried ear to show for it) and a couple of people more would have stood but for work or health reasons. Most of the others, understandably, were worried about crossing the line into the bear pit of local politics and all of the fun that can entail. To quote one person: ‘I get enough grief on Twitter as it is!’

However, Brian has loads of experience of local politics and has weathered the storms so is a great candidate and not just for the single issue of Get Cov Back to the Ricoh. He’s stood up to the party machine in the past and is well respected in Coventry.

He will be standing as an Independent rather than under a GCBTTR party so he can be genuinely independent if he gets elected. There will be a manifesto released next week but the main thrust of his stance is in the press release.

Anyone who wants to get involved &/or help out in any way (or just send us some random abuse – try and make it funny tho’) can email [email protected] or get hold of us on Twitter @CovBackToRicoh

I’ll be around here for another hour this evening and I’ll pick up again in the morning for anyone wanting to have a general chit chat about the whole thing. One thing that came out of a few previous discussions here was getting questions answered by various people on the CCFC-side of things and we’re trying to get meeting(s) at some point soon so I’ll put up a separate thread to get some input for that in the near future.

Feel free to DM me here too if questions need answering and I’m not around. We’re pretty busy at the moment so hovering on the internet is a luxury these days ;-)

BTW, thanks to everyone who chipped in on previous threads about this as it really helped out with feedback and how we can take this forward. One of the things that I’ve really enjoyed about this whole escapade is talking with people from so many different points of view. Even the people who have completely disagreed with us have been sharp, decent and funny but then that’s Cov & Warwickshire for you. (There's a tourism slogan in there somewhere.)

mrtrench

This is playing into SISU's hands. I'm not a leftie, but I am proud of the way that our council has not allowed itself to be blackmailed by SISU. Neither you nor Patton will get any votes from me.

Rob S

.... but what's his plan to get us back ?
What is he going to do differently to make it happen?
If its give the stadium to Sisu he might not win :)

I think everybody wants them back !!

It's all part of a wider strategy by all fans groups to try and get these people back round the table to sort this out. Brian standing against the council leader puts an extra bit of pressure on the council side of the equation.

We're working on having some interesting things come out over the course of the campaign so keep an eye on things.

Rob S

What party to Brian previously represent as a councillor

Labour. From the press release:

He became a Labour councillor in a by-election in 1997 and remained a councillor until he was barred from standing by the party in the 2008 local elections. He said: ‘This was because I refused to accept a written warning for abstaining on a vote in Full Council – ironically about the Ricoh Arena.”

italiahorse

Labour. From the press release:

He became a Labour councillor in a by-election in 1997 and remained a councillor until he was barred from standing by the party in the 2008 local elections. He said: ‘This was because I refused to accept a written warning for abstaining on a vote in Full Council – ironically about the Ricoh Arena.”

I thought the only votes were whether to progress it or not ?

Abstain ?

duffer

What party to Brian previously represent as a councillor

Was a Labour Councillor, then went to Lib Dems. Also ran unsuccesfully for MP as a Lib Dem in 2010.

I can't help but feel that there's a hint of political opportunism about this chap, but maybe that's unfair. It is only my opinion, fwiw.

SkyBlueSid

Was a Labour Councillor, then went to Lib Dems. Also ran unsuccesfully for MP as a Lib Dem in 2010.

I can't help but feel that there's a hint of political opportunism about this chap, but maybe that's unfair. It is only my opinion, fwiw.

I knew Brian Patton years ago and he was a very sound bloke. He played for the football team I used to manage and I made him captain because, although he wasn't the best player in the team, he was the best for the job, reliable and straight up. Not seen him for years but good luck to him.

duffer

I knew Brian Patton years ago and he was a very sound bloke. He played for the football team I used to manage and I made him captain because, although he wasn't the best player in the team, he was the best for the job, reliable and straight up. Not seen him for years but good luck to him.

Don't know the chap personally - but anyone shifting around between parties doesn't generally come across as too committed to their political beliefs to me.

Having said that, I dug this up if anyone's interested - obviously he's been concerned about CCC funding the Ricoh for some time....

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/'Give...IL:+Labour+member+demands+cash...-a0141199403

I think that adds some weight to the point that he's doing this for what he sees as the right reasons. I don't agree with this campaign personally, but it's only fair to get the information out there...

Grendel

Don't know the chap personally - but anyone shifting around between parties doesn't generally come across as too committed to their political beliefs to me.

Having said that, I dug this up if anyone's interested - obviously he's been concerned about CCC funding the Ricoh for some time....

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/'Give...IL:+Labour+member+demands+cash...-a0141199403

I think that adds some weight to the point that he's doing this for what he sees as the right reasons. I don't agree with this campaign personally, but it's only fair to get the information out there...

No you clearly don't agree with it and your rather juvenile "exposé" of a change in parties shows what your thoughts really are.

For once someone actually is "doing something" - not standing on a hill or by a statue or holding a banner in London. This is a well thought out strategy. Elections have poor turnouts - if Lucas can be defeated the message that will send to councillors will be huge. Depends if we want the club back or we don't care. Whatever Lucas is a walking talking embarrassment and clearly not fit for office. Get rid of get and send a message.

chiefdave

we have a candidate standing in Holbrook ward
He will be standing as an Independent rather than under a GCBTTR party

So he's your candidate but not standing as GCBTTR (having already been Lib Dem and Labour), sorry, but to me that sounds like he's figured he can get a few votes by associating himself with your cause. While we can all agree getting the club back to Coventry is the number one priority this chap was against the council stepping in to finish the Ricoh project which, having already sold Highfield Road, would have left us homeless. Not sure, as a CCFC supporter, I'd be comfortable with supporting someone who took that stance.

There will be a manifesto released next week but the main thrust of his stance is in the press release.

Not seeing much in the way of policy detail in the press release. The thing that stood out for me is the suggestion that voters should contact their candidates to ask what they are doing to get us back to the Ricoh but gives no indication of what GCBTTR would do. Without a clear roadmap to how you are going to return the club to the city this is a non starter for me.

To be honest the whole thing reads as if you are seeking to place blame entirely on the council which is a more hardline stance than even the most ardent pro SISU posters on here!

Grendel

What is the strategy, there doesn't seem to be any mention of how they will facilitate the return of the club to the city?

Given you say you have no interest in the council you spend a hell of a lot of time and effort defending them.

Funny you and duffer seem to think Winston Churchill was a dreadful leader but hey ho.

Of course its s good strategy. Defeat the council leader over her and the councils stance on the Ricoh. It will send shock waves to self serving politicians. The truth I suspect is if it comes to the club getting hold of the Ricoh or stay in Northampton you and duffer will favour the latter.

Time to decide - club or the council.

Grendel

Whats his master plan,give the Ricoh to a offshore hedge fund on his own,the idiot is another Nicki Sinclair.:blue:

Wonderful. Diggerdaly clearly has a master plan all of his own. However he seems to be keeping it to himself.

Go on, tell us your strategy.

chiefdave

Given you say you have no interest in the council you spend a hell of a lot of time and effort defending them.

Funny you and duffer seem to think Winston Churchill was a dreadful leader but hey ho.

Of course its s good strategy. Defeat the council leader over her and the councils stance on the Ricoh. It will send shock waves to self serving politicians. The truth I suspect is if it comes to the club getting hold of the Ricoh or stay in Northampton you and duffer will favour the latter.

How on earth have you taken asking about this groups strategy being somehow defending the council. God knows how you then went from that to Churchill!

So the entire strategy is beat the council, then what? The council is on it's knees and tells GCBTR to go ahead and put their plan into effect, what happens then? Do they just shrug their shoulders and say 'actually we've got no plan'. This is sure to be something that comes up throughout campaigning, if you're running on a platform of getting the club back to the Ricoh its not entirely unreasonable for people to ask how you are going to achieve that.

SkyBlueSid

I think it is far more important to stick to your principles and beliefs that align yourself to a particular party. That may not be possible in national politics but it certainly is for councillors. Some councils have plenty of independents, although not so common in the big cities. No doubt that's why he defected to the LibDems, wh don't really have proper policies anyway. As long as he voted for what he believed and for why he was elected, fair play.

I reckon local government would function far better if no political parties were involved, just people elected to councils who wanted the best for their area.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I think you will find a judge will be making that decision sometime in June.

The Gentleman

It's all part of a wider strategy by all fans groups to try and get these people back round the table to sort this out. Brian standing against the council leader puts an extra bit of pressure on the council side of the equation.

We're working on having some interesting things come out over the course of the campaign so keep an eye on things.

So it's all part of a wider strategy by all fans groups is it? Have you consulted and got the backing of all of our fans groups involved in this?

So what pressure is Brian going to put on Sisu/Otium ?because as of yet (and you have had weeks to at least come up with something) we've not had a single thing about pressure on the most important people (Sisu/Otium) who can get us back to the Ricoh.

Coincidence is it to have interesting things come out against the Council in time for the JR?

Can you really guarantee that this candidate is totally independent because so far you have not been and also that if he was elected that no city services would suffer as a result of this?

chiefdave

The truth I suspect is if it comes to the club getting hold of the Ricoh or stay in Northampton you and duffer will favour the latter.

As i have stated many times I have a distrust of the current owners and in light of that my preference would be for the club to own 100% of a longer lease and CCC retaining the freehold with the lease having triggers that should certain events occur (place the club in admin, separate club and lease etc) the lease is terminated and returns to CCC. Would give the club all the benefits of ownership and both supporters and the council some protection against anything underhand from SISU or future owners.

Grendel

How on earth have you taken asking about this groups strategy being somehow defending the council. God knows how you then went from that to Churchill!

So the entire strategy is beat the council, then what? The council is on it's knees and tells GCBTR to go ahead and put their plan into effect, what happens then? Do they just shrug their shoulders and say 'actually we've got no plan'. This is sure to be something that comes up throughout campaigning, if you're running on a platform of getting the club back to the Ricoh its not entirely unreasonable for people to ask how you are going to achieve that.

I suggest you do some research. Look at a certain independent MP in Telford who stood on one issue as an Independant and won.

As for Churchill you and suffer referenced his changing political parties and suggested opportunism. Churchill was a liberal before defecting to the Tories so one assumed that you thought the same of him.

skybluetony176

So it is the club who will be getting hold of the Ricoh and not another sisu company?

chiefdave

I suggest you do some research. Look at a certain independent MP in Telford who stood on one issue as an Independant and won.

Again you have plucked something out of thin air. I have not said its impossible for an independent to win I have asked what they will do if they do win. Should they get in and the rest of the council place Patton in charge of getting the club back to the city what then, what is their actual plan for achieving their aims?

Rusty Trombone

Rob, the Telegraph quotes this from you.....“We warned last October that the council ruling out an unencumbered sale of the Ricoh, and insisting that the club could only return as tenants, would leave our beloved Sky Blues playing ‘home’ games 35 miles away for years and years – threatening the club’s future.

“While the club’s owners Sisu must take a good part of the responsibility for that, most people accept the football club needs to own its own stadium to obtain vital commercial revenues.”

So Rob, can I ask, How much do you think it will cost for the Council to pay off existing leases so that the Ricoh can be sold unencumbered?

I don't think 'most people' accept the football club needs to own it's own stadium, I don't think even SISU accept that.

Don't you agree that obtaining a long lease for the club to operate from the Ricoh would be a far cheaper (unless you want SISU to be gifted the arena) and much more realistic approach?

chiefdave

As for Churchill you and suffer referenced his changing political parties and suggested opportunism. Churchill was a liberal before defecting to the Tories so one assumed that you thought the same of him.

To be honest not too bothered about what party Churchill was, he wasn't saying he could get us back in Coventry.

chiefdave

Don't you agree that obtaining a long lease for the club to operate from the Ricoh would be a far cheaper (unless you want SISU to be gifted the arena) and much more realistic approach?

Agree with you there. As I've said before the solution is very easy. The club purchase Higgs share (and pay for it, not put it on the never never!), they then clear the loan and purchase CCC share. CCC then move the lease to say a 99 year lease with peppercorn rent. If the club (i.e. SISU) want to alter any of the deals in place with existing tenants they do so once they are running the whole complex. The solution is really not that difficult unless any party is determined not to agree a deal or has unrealistic demands. If SISU were to state they would be happy with this I think you would see a lot of pressure on the council to agree to it.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

So is Churchill untouchable? I think not.

ccfcway

The launch included:

1. A demonstration for fans and the public on May 10 outside the Council House, at 1pm.
  2. A call for all voters to contact candidates including sitting councillors in their wards to ask what they would do to get the Sky Blues back to the Ricoh – and vote against them if they are not satisfied.
  3. To urge people to stand on a platform of Get Cov Back To The Ricoh

1. We have done this, it doesnt make a jot of difference to SISU
2. Mr Patton, what would you do to get the Sky Blues back to Ricoh ?
3. 90% of fans are already making a stand !

This all comes down to number 2 surely ?.

If Mr Patton can let us know what he would do if elected, Coventry citizens can then decide, as opposed to asking the others what they would do. Surely its a "vote for Patton", as opposed to a "non vote for someone" else he is looking for ?

Last edited:

henry the wasp

I thought Churchill was a tory before defecting to the liberals, then defecting back to the tories?
"Anyone can rat, but it takes a certain ingenuity to re-rat". Is a quote from Churchill.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Many people despised Churchill , do the research !!

Users who are viewing this thread