European championships 2020 thread (1 Viewer)

Frostie

Do we beat the Germans Tuesday frostie lad ?

Tough to call.
It's almost role reversal on previous meetings where we're now the incredibly structured, efficient but boring side & they have lots of talent but no idea how to use it.

Assuming they stick with their 3-4-3 it depends which personnel they use for me. If they continue to waste Kimmich at RWB & persist with the pairing of Kroos & Gundogan in midfield I think we've got a good chance.
Definitely want to see us push our full backs on more & double up & restrict their wing-backs. Hummels has a mistake in him & without facing an out & out striker we can hopefully keep it pretty tight.

They're still a very good side but definitely have some weaknesses to be exploited.

cc84cov

Tough to call.
It's almost role reversal on previous meetings where we're now the incredibly structured, efficient but boring side & they have lots of talent but no idea how to use it.

Assuming they stick with their 3-4-3 it depends which personnel they use for me. If they continue to waste Kimmich at RWB & persist with the pairing of Kroos & Gundogan in midfield I think we've got a good chance.
Definitely want to see us push our full backs on more & double up & restrict their wing-backs. Hummels has a mistake in him & without facing an out & out striker we can hopefully keep it pretty tight.

They're still a very good side but definitely have some weaknesses to be exploited.
Word is he’s gonna stick with 4231 I would play the same side as Czech but trippier at left back unless he trusts shaw against Kimmech

Frostie

Word is he’s gonna stick with 4231 I would play the same side as Czech but trippier at left back unless he trusts shaw against Kimmech

Makes sense. I've seen a lot of pundits & fans calling for us to match them up with a 3 at the back but I think that's unnecessary. You'd have 3 x CBs vs no striker & Gnabry's movement could then cause us problems dragging them out of position. You'd also lose the opportunity to double up on their dangerous wing-backs.

I would definitely expect Trippier to come in for his set pieces, I'd prefer it not to be at LB though as it restricts him getting forward.

cc84cov

Makes sense. I've seen a lot of pundits & fans calling for us to match them up with a 3 at the back but I think that's unnecessary. You'd have 3 x CBs vs no striker & Gnabry's movement could then cause us problems dragging them out of position. You'd also lose the opportunity to double up on their dangerous wing-backs.

I would definitely expect Trippier to come in for his set pieces, I'd prefer it not to be at LB though as it restricts him getting forward.
For me walker has to start at right back and he trusts trippier especially defending and as you say set pieces which haven’t been great.

D

Deleted member 11652

I would pick:

Pickford

Trippier
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Phillips

Sterling
Grealish
Foden

Kane

Southgate will pick:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire

Trippier
Rice
Phillips
Shaw

Mount (even though he won’t have trained)
Sterling

Kane

COV

I would pick:

Pickford

Trippier
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Phillips

Sterling
Grealish
Foden

Kane

Southgate will pick:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire

Trippier
Rice
Phillips
Shaw

Mount (even though he won’t have trained)
Sterling

Kane

Quite like your team, but I suspect Saka will start. Would very much like to see Sancho play.

Evo1883

I'd match them

Pickford

Saka / Chilwell/ Shaw
Stones
Maguire
Walker /white
James /trippier

Mount / Bellingham
Rice /Phillips (either or )

Foden / grealish
Kane
Sterling

Or
343 however you what to look at it

He will play 4231

Liquid Gold

I think we looked good in the 4231 so would keep that. Would like to see Sancho but he isn't going to drop him in for this game.

Don't expect to see Saka in either, would probably replace him with Foden but I think Southgate will do that and replace Grealish with Mount.

I think Maguire will start too after a decent game last week and a week of further recovery and I wonder if he'll bring in Henderson for one of Phillips and Rice for that big game experience.

Evo1883

I think we looked good in the 4231 so would keep that. Would like to see Sancho but he isn't going to drop him in for this game.

Don't expect to see Saka in either, would probably replace him with Foden but I think Southgate will do that and replace Grealish with Mount.

I think Maguire will start too after a decent game last week and a week of further recovery and I wonder if he'll bring in Henderson for one of Phillips and Rice for that big game experience.

Completely forgot about Henderson 🙃

cc84cov

I'd match them

Pickford

Saka / Chilwell/ Shaw
Stones
Maguire
Walker /white
James /trippier

Mount / Bellingham

Foden / grealish
Kane
Sterling

Or

He will play 4231
We haven’t conceded is the word on media outlets if it’s not broke don’t fix it I think we go in 4231

David O'Day

For me walker has to start at right back and he trusts trippier especially defending and as you say set pieces which haven’t been great.
Walker is technically limited and switches off a lot when guarding the back post which plays into Germany's hands with Gosens liking to attack that area. Trippier at LB would allow Kimmich to press forward more freely.

I would go with Trippier Stones Maguire Shaw as the back four.

David O'Day

Think Saka may get the nod for his defensive work

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

When people say it opens up to the final - are we forgetting we probably have to play Holland, Belgium or Portugal in the semi?

Or is that a forgone conclusion like beating Sweden or Ukraine?

I mean I’m all up for it’s coming home but it’s hardly a clear route

covmark

When people say it opens up to the final - are we forgetting we probably have to play Holland, Belgium or Portugal in the semi?

Belgium and Portugal are on the other side of the draw.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Tommo1993

Thought the semi final possibilities were one of Wales, Czech, Ukraine, Sweden?

Godiva

You're forgetting Denmark ... who will face Italy in the final :cool:

Mucca Mad Boys

I'd match them

Pickford

Saka / Chilwell/ Shaw
Stones
Maguire
Walker /white
James /trippier

Mount / Bellingham

Foden / grealish
Kane
Sterling

Or

He will play 4231

Good to see you’re decisive in picking the team!

Joking aside, I don’t think we should match them. Personally, there’s no need to change a defensive shape we’ve not played in this tournament, especially since we haven’t conceded yet!

With the current setup, Rice drops between the centre backs quite a lot anyway.

Sky Blue Harry H

According to Declan Rice today 'There's not been no negativity in training'

Like I've said before - it's Southgate affecting the team !!

Users who are viewing this thread