European championships 2020 thread (5 Viewers)

Mucca Mad Boys

We played Denmark twice and didn't score a goal , they took 4 points off us

Qualifying records count for nought. Our qualifying for 2010 and 2014 was very good, amongst the best. The tournament showing, however, was not...

Great_Expectations

Just found this thread; was an interesting read!

Of the squad selection, I think JWP is most hard done by, especially for with the four RB situation. If we play a 5, you could justify three as Walker can play CB in a 3, but if it’s a 4 then it doesn’t make sense, no matter how good the players are.

Lingard is on form, but if he was picked Southgate would be accused of ‘picking his favourites’. Plus our attacking talent is ridiculous.

Tonight’s game was poor, but doesn’t change me enthusiasm for the team. We were missing several key players, some of the XI were playing within themselves for avoid injury (consciously or subconsciously) and Austria actually looked decent enough to be fair.

I don’t get a chance to watch loads of football (other than every Cov game obviously), so it would be interesting to know if these are fair observations or atypical of those players:

Coady may be decent defensively but he cannot play football.
DCL looked poor. We’re screwed if Kane is injured. Is he a target man type, poacher, runner, what?
Bellingham is a talent.
TAA was vulnerable defensively.

Southgate has to get Foden, Grealish, Kane, Mount in the starting XI.

Defensively were aren’t great but not as poor as is being made out. Walker and Shaw/Chilwell are all good enough defensively, as is Maguire and Stones. The former lacks pace and later is prone to error, but they’re still a good enough pairing.

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s not just Southgate though is it. All international football is like this.

I don’t even particularly like Southgate but people will moan like fuck all tournament, he’ll get sacked then someone else will do the same thing and get moaned at.

England haven’t played exciting football regularly in fucking decades.

It was fun under Capello for 2010 qualifying then he completely lost the plot picking the squad for the finals and the rest is history with Hodgson and Marks + Southgate trying to bore the opposition into submission

SBAndy

Don’t understand the overreaction to that game last night. Likely only had 4 starters for the tournament, and it was obvious some were treating it as it was - a warm-up game.

Lot of people saying to start Mount, Foden, Grealish and Kane, but I think that brings a lack of pace and little running in behind. For that reason, I’d start one of Sancho, Sterling or Rashford (at this time, definitely Sancho) in place of either Grealish or Foden. 5 subs, remember. Plenty of opportunity to change it.

Frostie

Don’t understand the overreaction to that game last night. Likely only had 4 starters for the tournament, and it was obvious some were treating it as it was - a warm-up game.

Lot of people saying to start Mount, Foden, Grealish and Kane, but I think that brings a lack of pace and little running in behind. For that reason, I’d start one of Sancho, Sterling or Rashford (at this time, definitely Sancho) in place of either Grealish or Foden. 5 subs, remember. Plenty of opportunity to change it.

100%
Said it earlier, if both Foden & Grealish start + Kane drops into Midfield as he does, for all the talent on the pitch, we become easy to defend against. Everything is in front of the opposition. A really organised defence would be incredibly difficult to break down that way.

Mucca Mad Boys

100%
Said it earlier, if both Foden & Grealish start + Kane drops into Midfield as he does, for all the talent on the pitch, we become easy to defend against. Everything is in front of the opposition. A really organised defence would be incredibly difficult to break down that way.

Agreed, we need intelligent runs and pace to take full advantage of Kane’s range of passing.

I’d probably stick with 4-2-3-1 and have a midfield comprising of Mount, Rice, Sancho, Grealish and Foden. Having players like Sterling, Rashford and DCL come off the bench is a big plus and give us a lot of flexibility.

A couple of months ago, I’d certainly think this would be too unbalanced, but Mount has shown he is decent at defending under Tuchel.

D

Deleted member 11652

Already fed up of the gushing over Bellingham. Thought he was poor last night. Sky gave Rice a 5/10 saying he was left exposed by Bellingham and then gave Bellingham a 7. He’s clearly a talent for his age but he’s not ‘world class’.

Mucca Mad Boys

Already fed up of the gushing over Bellingham. Thought he was poor last night. Sky gave Rice a 5/10 saying he was left exposed by Bellingham and then gave Bellingham a 7. He’s clearly a talent for his age but he’s not ‘world class’.

He’s 17 and playing at a really high standard for that age. He had a v respectable debut and we should be proud we’ve got a player with his potential coming through the ranks.

Either way, at best, he’s going to be a wildcard substitute for us in the main tournament. We have a lot of high quality midfield options to choose from.

D

Deleted member 11652

He’s 17 and playing at a really high standard for that age. He had a v respectable debut and we should be proud we’ve got a player with his potential coming through the ranks.

Either way, at best, he’s going to be a wildcard substitute for us in the main tournament. We have a lot of high quality midfield options to choose from.

Which is fine but all I’m seeing from all the pundits is how he’s world class and should be starting. He’s a decent prospect and that is all I’m afraid. Don’t be surprised to see him in against Croatia

hill83

Tell you what. I couldn't give a fuck. I have never been less interested, less excited, and had so little expectation for an international tournament in my life.

Is it the minimal fans shite? Is it the fact its had barely any build up? Is it that its not in 1 country which we all know creates a massively carnival atmosphere? Or is it because we all Know Southgate hasnt got a fucking clue?

I cant be alone in this surely?

Oh and that was fucking turgid shite

You are whinging all over the F1 thread as well to be fair. What do you like?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Fucking whinging bastards in here.

I can’t wait personally. Best time of the year.

Exactly.

Three football matches every day for weeks. A chance to be a proper flag shagger and drink loads of booze too.

I'm not expecting us to pull up any trees, but it should be a laugh. Not sure what is not to like.

Saddlebrains

You are whinging all over the F1 thread as well to be fair. What do you like?

I whinge about Hamilton because hes a massive hypocritical twat that has thrown more toys around than a nursery, and id rather suck your third toe than see him get another championship.

I like You Hill. Thats it. Nothing else

skybluegod

Agreed, we need intelligent runs and pace to take full advantage of Kane’s range of passing.

I’d probably stick with 4-2-3-1 and have a midfield comprising of Mount, Rice, Sancho, Grealish and Foden. Having players like Sterling, Rashford and DCL come off the bench is a big plus and give us a lot of flexibility.

A couple of months ago, I’d certainly think this would be too unbalanced, but Mount has shown he is decent at defending under Tuchel.

We would be crazy not to start Henderson if fit. The team sorely needs experience especially if there is no Maguire for the start of the tournament and even then Henderson is going to be key to any success we have.

Don't see any benefit of starting mount, Grealish and Foden as while they all offer different attributes going forward I feel Henderson would provide much better balance to the whole team.

Mucca Mad Boys

We would be crazy not to start Henderson if fit. The team sorely needs experience especially if there is no Maguire for the start of the tournament and even then Henderson is going to be key to any success we have.

Don't see any benefit of starting mount, Grealish and Foden as while they all offer different attributes going forward I feel Henderson would provide much better balance to the whole team.

Agreed. I just don’t think Henderson will be 100%, likewise with Maguire.

When fit, two dead certain starters and Hendo is a good candidate for the captaincy should anything happen Kane.

I’m not keen on starting Hendo and Rice, it’s one or the other for me!

skybluegod

Agreed. I just don’t think Henderson will be 100%, likewise with Maguire.

When fit, two dead certain starters and Hendo is a good candidate for the captaincy should anything happen Kane.

I’m not keen on starting Hendo and Rice, it’s one or the other for me!

Yep fair one, I'm hoping Henderson will be fit to start (guess we will see at weekend) but Maguire won't be which worries me!

Think it depends on the opposition whether we start Rice and Henderson top end teams might be worth the solidity, weaker teams I agree especially if it's 5 at the back!

hill83

Trent ruled out

giphy.gif

Stop fucking about with 500 right backs and get Lingard in.

David O'Day

Think he will declare for DR Congo in the future. It shows the decline of Man United that their right back isn’t considered in the top 4 English ones, James Justin of Leicester ahead of him too when fit.

AWB is a far better right back that Justin

The decline of a team that finished 2nd is shown by a player from a team that didn't even qualify for the champions league.

CCFCSteve

If we were going to get one injury pre tournament RB was probably the one we could handle without too much disruption (shame for TAA though but he’ll come again) Think he’ll bring in a centre half or midfielder depending on which of Hendo and Maguire is struggling most

CJ_covblaze

Had our tickets uploaded to the app. Top tier which is a bit shit but feel lucky and thankful to be there. Ours are pretty cheap (Cat 3) and some others that have gone for that price point are in the prime seats in the lower tier. There are some that have paid a lot more than us for Cat 2 or even Cat 1 in some cases that are 20 rows behind us! UEFA never cease to amaze me.

Our designated arrival time is 2 and half hours before kick off. Just got to hope it’s not like the Middlesbrough games where food and drink isn’t allowed to be served in the ground. Some are going to be screwed over by that when the first train from their area of the country isn’t arriving into central London until that time.

stay_up_skyblues

Wall to wall footy, some of best players in the world on show, sunshine, fantasy football, sweepstakes, bbqs, pubs…. What’s not to like ?!?

TM8792

Might as well at least see how it plays out before applying the mattress protector.

He couldn’t reach the final of the World Cup despite having the easiest route imaginable. Scraped through on pens against a weakened Colombia side.

What makes you think the Euros will be any different when it looks like we’ll have a much more difficult route?

stay_up_skyblues

He couldn’t reach the final of the World Cup despite having the easiest route imaginable. Scraped through on pens against a weakened Colombia side.

What makes you think the Euros will be any different when it looks like we’ll have a much more difficult route?

Nothing really, I don’t think we will win it and us as second favourites is ridiculous. Still enjoy the tournament and support the team.

It might be me getting older and taking a more positive outlook or perhaps COVID but the negativity, apathy and negativity on here this last season and now seems to have cranked right up.

Users who are viewing this thread