European championships 2020 thread (6 Viewers)

COV

Is he though ? What has he actually achieved .

Is there many England managers in the last 30 years who would have struggled to get us to that semi final in 2018 with those players and that draw ?

The route was almost too easy

He gets way too much credit for that , and not enough stick for his tactical fuck ups against Croatia and then Holland in the nations league

We lost 3 matches in the 2018 world Cup , we were bang average

my take on that is that he has potential to be one of the great England managers, but you only get so long in that zone before you move to the ”failure” category. He needs to win something.

Evo1883

We’ve got to two semi-finals under Southgate. First time since 1996. Even something as small as winning the first Euros game ever. All this stuff build momentum.

We lost twice to a star-studded Belgium side who were one of the favourites to win the whole thing. Had the beaten France, they’d have won it all.

It wasn’t a particularly difficult run in, but we beat the winner of Germany’s group and even had we played Germany, I have no doubt in my mind we’d have beaten them. They looked like we did in 2010.

Luka Modric won the Ballon D’or for taking Croatia to the final, beating Denmark, Russia and ourselves en route to the final...

Southgate’s achievement in 2018 is not something to be discredited at all.

Personally the games we won were expected , the game against Croatia which knocked us out his decision making was disastrous . His inability to react and shore up the midfield when Croatia took control cost us .

We also needed pens to beat an average Colombia

COV

To be honest I've not thought about it at all .
So I wouldnt be able to give you an answer off the cuff.

There are many many many managers out there better than Gareth Southgate

Marco Rose would have been a good choice from gladbach until he signed on at dortmund , I'm not arsed about where out manager is from

Aggressive high press style

yes but if there are so many options name one?

imho we’re doomed as long as the Premier League retains its absolute dominance over the game, nobody else has a similar situation.

last English manager to win the top division?Howard Wilkinson, 1992

Evo1883

yes but if there are so many options name one?

imho we’re doomed as long as the Premier League retains its absolute dominance over the game, nobody else has a similar situation.

last English manager to win the top division?Howard Wilkinson, 1992

Honestly this isn't a reason to keep him if for example we get knocked out in the round of 16 , it's the FA's job to sift through and contact clubs / managers to try and hire the correct man .

For me Southgate isn't the correct man to get the best from these players

Now watch us win it and me look like a right c**t ...which I would love to happen

Paul Anthony

I can never hear the Dutch anthem without expecting a rendition of "Twelve Days of Christmas"

CJ_covblaze

Both channels including women on their panels,again,just to tick boxes
Some of the most knowledgeable people around are women we’ve seen on our screens in the past couple of days.

CJ_covblaze

To be honest I've not thought about it at all .
So I wouldnt be able to give you an answer off the cuff.

There are many many many managers out there better than Gareth Southgate

Marco Rose would have been a good choice from gladbach until he signed on at dortmund , I'm not arsed about where out manager is from

Aggressive high press style
An England manager should be English. Wasn't happy when the FA appointed Wiegman and would be equally disappointed if they went down that route again. The FA have gone on and on about English clubs not giving English coaches a chance and they go and appoint someone from Holland themselves. Personally I think it should be in the rules like it is for players. Why should it be any different?

CJ_covblaze

Sky Blue Pete

An England manager should be English. Wasn't happy when the FA appointed Wiegman and would be equally disappointed if they went down that route again. The FA have gone on and on about English clubs not giving English coaches a chance and they go and appoint someone from Holland themselves. Personally I think it should be in the rules like it is for players. Why should it be any different?
Southgate has done as well as any England manager since Alf Ramsey and Bobby Robson. I think some England fans are utterly deluded

Evo1883

Because its about success , why limit yourself

Evo1883

Southgate has done as well as any England manager since Alf Ramsey and Bobby Robson. I think some England fans are utterly deluded

Not sure it's as simple as that , we beat Panama, Tunisia, Sweden and Colombia on pens .

Lost twice to Belgium and Croatia when it mattered , we were favourites for that semi .

It was a very favourable run to the final, easiest world Cup run in my lifetime to a final for an England team at a world Cup and probably won't be as easy for a very long time

That's not deluded that's talking logically.

France as an example beat

Denmark
Uruguay
Argentina
Belgium
Croatia

Now compare and contrast

Users who are viewing this thread