European championships 2020 thread (5 Viewers)

COV

Valid point. Switzerland are one of those teams who seem to qualify all the time, cause problems. But you’d expect England to beat them.

all round, I see them as a solid squad. Croatia are the same but have Modric, who isn’t the player he was 3 years ago.

We need to be beating Switzerland or just pack the tournament in.

Switzerland are known for gaming the FIFA rankings by being very selective on who they play & when, they are nowhere near as good as people think.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We need to be beating Switzerland or just pack the tournament in.

Switzerland are known for gaming the FIFA rankings by being very selective on who they play & when, they are nowhere near as good as people think.
Croatia are similar I feel. I don’t think they’re a bad side but we should be beating Switzerland and Croatia all the time.

In terms of watching the city it’s like drawing Ipswich in the cup. We should beat them but expect us to make a fist of it

Mucca Mad Boys

Valid point. Switzerland are one of those teams who seem to qualify all the time, cause problems. But you’d expect England to beat them.

all round, I see them as a solid squad. Croatia are the same but have Modric, who isn’t the player he was 3 years ago.

Nor is Perisic, Rakatic, Lovern or Manzudkic.

Croatia should progress from the group, but it’ll be close. A draw would’ve been an underwhelming result today.

COV

No chance, their team has got older and not much better since 2018. Like us, they had an easy route to the final.

Our team in 2021 is a lot stronger than it was in 2018. For starts, Lingard and Alli - two stalwarts in 2018 - haven’t even made the squad this time around.

Yes but this is the point- what have we done with these players?

Until we start getting to at least semis on a regular basis, we have no right at all to be placing ourselves in the top tier of international sides, certainly not above Croatia. And I am an England fan, just being honest.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Until we start getting to at least semis on a regular basis, we have no right at all to be placing ourselves in the top tier of international sides, certainly not above Croatia. And I am an England fan, just being honest.
We’ve been in the semis of the last 2 tournaments ( say what you went about the nations league but we still had to beat Spain. To get there)

SBT

What a day in the sunshine. God, I’ve missed watching football with people. Spent Saturday night listening to a Leeds fan bang on about how good Phillips was, and I guess somehow he was right.

In hindsight, it’s hard to imagine how this thread could top several weeks of complaining about Southgate playing two holding midfielders and Sterling. But devoting the entire first half to bleating about players taking the knee shows that you can never keep a good whinger down.

Mucca Mad Boys

For starters, we haven’t had a major tournament since 2018 to judge on. We did get to the semis in the Nations League where we topped a group that had Spain and Croatia. Only losing to a rejuvenated and promising Netherlands team, a disappointment but exceeded expectations.

Even between 2004-2010, have we had as much depth as we have now?

We looked good today, and it’s a good foundation to build on!

Sick Boy

No chance, their team has got older and not much better since 2018. Like us, they had an easy route to the final.

Our team in 2021 is a lot stronger than it was in 2018. For starts, Lingard and Alli - two stalwarts in 2018 - haven’t even made the squad this time around.
Which sides would you say are the equivalent of England?

baldy

It's not politics, it's just plain old racism.

It really isn’t - football’s meant to be entertainment,they don’t want it politicised - you don’t go to a theatre & see the actors taking the knee...keep it away from football is all people are saying ffs,nothing to do with racism
Even John Barnes has said the same thing,it’s just virtue signaling

Last edited:

Sick Boy

It really isn’t - footballs’s meant to be entertainment,they don’t want it politicised - you don’t go to a theatre & see the actors taking the knee...keep it away from football is all people are saying ffs,nothing to do with racism
Strange, I haven’t seen you berating the Rangers fans on here.

COV

It really isn’t - footballs’s meant to be entertainment,they don’t want it politicised - you don’t go to a theatre & see the actors taking the knee...keep it away from football is all people are saying ffs,nothing to do with racism

If they want to do it then whats it got to do with you? Each to their own, or don't you agree?

Mucca Mad Boys

Are Rakitic and manzukic in the squad, they’ll progress, becuase they’re better than Scotland and Czech Republic

Just checked and neither are in the squad.

A lot has changed from 2018, and frankly, I could see Czechia doing well and Scotland are a host nation so this could be a tricky group for Croatia.

clint van damme

What about black people who don't agree with John Barnes? Does their opinion not count because they disagree with you?

COV

For starters, we haven’t had a major tournament since 2018 to judge on. We did get to the semis in the Nations League where we topped a group that had Spain and Croatia. Only losing to a rejuvenated and promising Netherlands team, a disappointment but exceeded expectations.

Even between 2004-2010, have we had as much depth as we have now?

We looked good today, and it’s a good foundation to build on!

I'm not going to disagree but let me put it this way.

England have done nothing since 1966- zilch, nothing. Not a single tournament victory, not even a final. No other serious European nation has a record as bad as us, we don't even have any serious rivalry thats reciprocated aside from Scotland. We are not seen as a threat.

So yeah- great result today and I'll be cheering them on all the way, but lets see how it goes before we start saying we've got a fantastic squad- we've seen it all before and its time to deliver now, lets leave the crowing until we can back it up.

COV

At the moment: Italy, Spain, Holland

Italy have gone 28 games unbeaten, and Holland beat us pretty handily not so long ago. If we are in that group then we're in the relegation zone.

The reality is that all these rankings are bullshit, its tournaments that matter, so in the next few weeks we'll all know exactly where we stand.

Sick Boy

Italy have gone 28 games unbeaten, and Holland beat us pretty handily not so long ago. If we are in that group then we're in the relegation zone.
Italy are only just emerging from years of transition. Not qualifying in 2018 was like some sort of major national scandal.

Reactions: COV

Mucca Mad Boys

Which sides would you say are the equivalent of England?

It’s tough to say. In terms of star quality, we’re a very good outfit. France are the best team, after that, the pack is quite crowded.

Personally, I think we’re a promising squad in a similar mould to Germany in 2010. This tournament is a big opportunity to test this crop of players.

Semi-finals is a reasonable expectation for this tournament.

Ccfcisparks

The reality is that all these rankings are bullshit, its tournaments that matter, so in the next few weeks we'll all know exactly where we stand.
Holland beat us in the nation league and we beat them. As pointed out Friday Italy played some completely shite teams in that 28.

Evo1883

England are shit at the back , it's the main thing that will hold them back .

Show me stats for 1 season I don't care , our centre halves are bang average

Declan rice is no kante either , we are heavily reliant on our front 4

We need to see how we look against a good side , personally I think if we aren't clinical we will lose as I don't think we will keep a clean sheet

COV

Italy are only just emerging from years of transition. Not qualifying in 2018 was like some sort of major national scandal.

England fans tend to obsess over Germany, but whenever we have played Italy we get taught a lesson really badly aside from that 0-0 in Rome. Whenever we've played them I've been way more nervous than v France/ Germany or anyone else really. I don't think we've ever beaten them or even drawn with them in a tournament have we? They are too smart, they are the perfect antithesis to our "up and at 'em" style, way too tactical. I think its similar with Germany- Italy have the hoodoo over them as well. We are tailor made for them. Euro 2012 was embarrassing, they should have thrashed us.

If we play Italy this time round then that really will be the acid test of how far we've come.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

It’s tough to say. In terms of star quality, we’re a very good outfit. France are the best team, after that, the pack is quite crowded.

Personally, I think we’re a promising squad in a similar mould to Germany in 2010. This tournament is a big opportunity to test this crop of players.

Semi-finals is a reasonable expectation for this tournament.
I think we’ll win if we get to the semis. Being at Wembley is a massive advantage

the crunch (if we win the group) is that we play France in the quarters - if they win their group obviously.

SlowerThanPlatt

Decent game coming up. Ukraine firmly on the upgrade, unbeaten in qualifying & topped the group with Portugal in. Netherlands without first choice keeper and centre halves, pressure was already on De Boer before that.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

England fans tend to obsess over Germany, but whenever we have played Italy we get taught a lesson really badly aside from that 0-0 in Rome. Whenever we've played them I've been way more nervous than v France/ Germany or anyone else really. I don't think we've ever beaten them or even drawn with them in a tournament have we? They are too smart, they are the perfect antithesis to our "up and at 'em" style, way too tactical. I think its similar with Germany- Italy have the hoodoo over them as well. We are tailor made for them. Euro 2012 was embarrassing, they should have thrashed us.

If we play Italy this time round then that really will be the acid test of how far we've come.
I agree with this. Hate playing Italy

Evo1883

Let's also remember , Southgate has a poor record against top sides as England manager .

COV

Holland beat us in the nation league and we beat them. As pointed out Friday Italy played some completely shite teams in that 28.

It doesn't matter though does it- come tournament time if Italy have a
I think we’ll win if we get to the semis. Being at Wembley is a massive advantage

the crunch (if we win the group) is that we play France in the quarters - if they win their group obviously.

I think we need to win. If we really are taking ourselves seriously as a footballing nation (and we should), then none of this "getting to the semis would be an achievement" stuff any more, we should be aiming to win

Ccfcisparks

It doesn't matter though does it- come tournament time if Italy have a

I think we need to win. If we really are taking ourselves seriously as a footballing nation (and we should), then none of this "getting to the semis would be an achievement" stuff any more, we should be aiming to win

yeah but your reasoning for saying Holland were better than us was that they beat us in the nations league, ignoring we beat them and Spain too.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Let's also remember , Southgate has a poor record against top sides as England manager .
Not just a Southgate thing though is it. I went through this with a friend the other day this is our record since beating Argentina in 2002

Beat

Denmark
Croatia x2
Paraguay
Trinidad and Tobago
Ecuador
Slovenia
Ukraine
Sweden x2
Wales
Tunisia
Panama
Colombia
Switzerland x2

In that time we’ve lost to
Brazil
France
Portugal x 2
Germany
Italy x2
Uruguay
Iceland
Belgium x2
Croatia
Holland

We don’t beat top tier nations

COV

yeah but your reasoning for saying Holland were better than us was that they beat us in the nations league, ignoring we beat them and Spain too.

I guess I'm saying that we've played one game in this tournament, which is way too early to be putting us above anyone really, and if we use history then we're miles away from your Hollands, Spains etc.

Users who are viewing this thread