European championships 2020 thread (12 Viewers)

Covkid1968#

Don't really care for England much....lost interest years ago. I used to follow England to a number of games, but gave up. I'll be a band wagoner and watch when we get to the QF's.

PVA

France should be favourites, England second favourites.

Spain and Germany look weaker than they have for a long time.

The Belgian squad is aging and feels like they've missed their chance with their golden generation.

It's not just English media and English bookies that have England as favourites, it's worldwide.

skybluesam66

Maddison screws up about once every 3 months, keep screwing up and then your club and international managers will not trust you
With the other talent in the squad which is at least as good as him , he is behaving himself out of the picture

Sick Boy

I really want to go back to Sestri Levante, but might just settle on Lago di Garda.
That coastline is amazing, I’ve been down the road from there before. Let me know if you end up planning on going to Garda. Keep in mind that you’ll need a negative test to get back into the UK and it needs to be in English, Spanish or French.

Liquid Gold

England are just too imbalanced to threaten the best sides. Decent going forward but poor at the back, playing with wingbacks and wingers ends up with a compressed wing and gaps in the middle. We still don't have enough players playing around Europe that gives them further experience because the PL pays them too much.

I'd be happy with a QF game.

Frostie

England are just too imbalanced to threaten the best sides. Decent going forward but poor at the back, playing with wingbacks and wingers ends up with a compressed wing and gaps in the middle. We still don't have enough players playing around Europe that gives them further experience because the PL pays them too much.

I'd be happy with a QF game.

Completely agree.

Also, we have one playing in Europe & doing fantastically well in Fikayo Tomori, even being hailed for his performances by Baresi & Maldini (not bad judges of CBs!) yet he's overlooked for the likes of Tyrone Mings 😔

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That coastline is amazing, I’ve been down the road from there before. Let me know if you end up planning on going to Garda. Keep in mind that you’ll need a negative test to get back into the UK and it needs to be in English, Spanish or French.

I'll definitely let you know. All day drinking sounds like an idea I could get behind.

I'll be going back to Amsterdam from there so at present I'm not 100% on what the rules are. Wouldn't surprise me if they were more relaxed than the UK to be honest.

SeaSeeEffCee

Had a look at the predictors last night and think we have a decent chance at making the final tbh. A lot of talk about our team but a lot of the historic big boys like Netherlands, Spain, Germany are very weak at the moment, and the ones who are strong (France, Italy, Belgium) will be on the other side of the draw to us in all likelihood. We'll have to play one of France/Portugal/Germany in the Ro16, but get through that and it shouldn't be too bad from there onwards.

Of course, if Maguire is injured we're completely fucked and may as well not bother going given how weak our back up CBs are.

D

Deleted member 11652

Had a look at the predictors last night and think we have a decent chance at making the final tbh. A lot of talk about our team but a lot of the historic big boys like Netherlands, Spain, Germany are very weak at the moment, and the ones who are strong (France, Italy, Belgium) will be on the other side of the draw to us in all likelihood. We'll have to play one of France/Portugal/Germany in the Ro16, but get through that and it shouldn't be too bad from there onwards.

Of course, if Maguire is injured we're completely fucked and may as well not bother going given how weak our back up CBs are.

We have to get out of a group containing two teams and that have beaten us in recent years plus Scotland who are always going to be a tough game for us.

Even if we win the group we then have to play France / Germany / Portugal as you’ve said. I think it’s very unlikely we make the Quarters

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Maddison screws up about once every 3 months, keep screwing up and then your club and international managers will not trust you
With the other talent in the squad which is at least as good as him , he is behaving himself out of the picture

I agree. His footballing talent is without question and based on that he would be in the squad, even with the plethora of attacking talent we have.

Terry Gibson's perm

We have to get out of a group containing two teams and that have beaten us in recent years plus Scotland who are always going to be a tough game for us.

Even if we win the group we then have to play France / Germany / Portugal as you’ve said. I think it’s very unlikely we make the Quarters

If England go out in or before the quarterfinals Southgate should be told to resign with no pay off as he has failed. I think they will go out around the quarters but he will survive say that he is building for the future.

Frostie

If England go out in or before the quarterfinals Southgate should be told to resign with no pay off as he has failed. I think they will go out around the quarters but he will survive say that he is building for the future.

I'll never understand why he was given a new 4 year contract in the first place, barmy decision.

Yes, the 2018 WC went well - he rightly got some plaudits & was flavour of the month then but he was contracted until Euro 2020 anyway. Once the Euros was postponed they should have just given him a 1 year extension.

4 years is far too long for most managers given the usual churn but, given his questionable club record previously, to dole out such a lucrative contract after a handful of good games is just typical of our FA unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 11652

I'll never understand why he was given a new 4 year contract in the first place, barmy decision.

Yes, the 2018 WC went well - he rightly got some plaudits & was flavour of the month then but he was contracted until Euro 2020 anyway. Once the Euros was postponed they should have just given him a 1 year extension.

4 years is far too long for most managers given the usual churn but, given his questionable club record previously, to dole out such a lucrative contract after a handful of good games is just typical of our FA unfortunately.

I would argue it didn’t go well at all and people got carried away with the it’s coming home nonsense. I said this at the time and got laughed at but it seems ever since people are starting to come to terms with it

Frostie

I would argue it didn’t go well at all and people got carried away with the it’s coming home nonsense. I said this at the time and got laughed at but it seems ever since people are starting to come to terms with it

I think given the previous failures it has to be deemed a relative success but agree it was massively overhyped given the level of opposition.

D

Deleted member 11652

I think given the previous failures it has to be deemed a relative success but agree it was massively overhyped given the level of opposition.

The fact that our best result was against Sweden says it all.

We couldn’t even beat a Columbia side missing James Rodriguez in normal time.

We even needed a last minute winner against Tunisia.

CJ_covblaze

CJ_covblaze

With the squad we have available anything less than the semis is a failure.

CJ_covblaze

Weird flex that is, would rather my club won the JPT than England winning anything.

Winning promotion, the play offs and the EFLT was brilliant and I'll never forget it. However it's pipped by seeing the shootout win v Colombia, Trippier's free kick and Buttler running out Guptill.

TM8792

Glad "Cov Blaze Cj" is country before club. Hopefully he drops the club completely. Easily one of the cringiest city fans on twitter (and there are literally hundreds of them) with the worst flag I've ever seen to boot.

Saddlebrains

"Some people have different priorities in life to you". Shocker!
Fair play to CJ. He follows England all over the world, which no doubt costs a fortune. No wonder he supports England more passionately.
Each to their own.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Alright no need to cry about it, just find it a strange opinion to put on a Coventry City fans forum, that a penalty shootout victory against an average at best team and a free kick somehow trumps any if the success we've had in the last few years. Cant fathom it

Users who are viewing this thread