European championships 2020 thread (5 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

Bellingham just has to play. Him and Foden are both generational talents.

I haven’t seen enough of Bellingham to comment on him but Foden is a special player and hopefully the next England manager will get the best out of him as this one won’t.

Ccfcisparks

I haven’t seen enough of Bellingham to comment on him but Foden is a special player and hopefully the next England manager will get the best out of him as this one won’t.
Bellingham has had a great season at Dortmund at only 17. I dont think there are many players in the world his age holding down a consistent first team spot at a top level team.

Evo1883

Bellingham looks to me in the Gerrard mould ... he's a unique midfielder in the squad there isn't another like him

Evo1883

Looking at the england squad compared to France , I'm not quite sure it's as strong as the media would have you believe .
Il be very surprised if we win the tournament

CJ_covblaze

I'm glad his missed out, Foden and Grealish are x10 better than he'll ever be.
Feel similar. He’s a very good player that I want to do well but others are more deserving of the place.

Frostie

Looking at the england squad compared to France , I'm not quite sure it's as strong as the media would have you believe .
Il be very surprised if we win the tournament

Spot on. I'm not a Southgate fan & he'll get crucified if he plays 2 x CDM's but, he almost has to in order to protect the defence which is so, so weak.
People think it's just throw the best players on the pitch & they will automatically win it all like it's FUT. Never going to happen.

Evo1883

Apart from the bookies who’s giving England a serious chance?

Talksport reckon England are the second coming of Brazil 1970 , lineker always gushing over our "talent"
But seriously
There's a fair few people that believe England can win this.

For starters we get through the group we play either france or Portugal (can't see Germany going through that group )

Ccfcisparks

Talksport reckon England are the second coming of Brazil 1970 , lineker always gushing over our "talent"
But seriously

For starters we get through the group we play either france or Portugal (can't see Germany going through that group )
I think we could beat Portugal in all honesty. It would be close but there’s a chance

Evo1883

I think we could beat Portugal in all honesty. It would be close but there’s a chance

There's a chance ofcourse , on our day , as at any point in history , we can beat anybody .

My worry is teams with attacking talent will run us ragged at the back , you saw it in the last couple years whenever we play a side that attacks well we struggle

Terry Gibson's perm

I think that England have the basis of a good team with a couple of gaps but have a third rate manager, even if they fail he will survive

Ccfcisparks

There's a chance ofcourse , on our day , as at any point in history , we can beat anybody .

My worry is teams with attacking talent will run us ragged at the back , you saw it in the last couple years whenever we play a side that attacks well we struggle
Yeah I agree with that, thats why I would have been tempted to take AWB as he is the best defensively out of all the RB.

D

Deleted member 11652

Spot on. I'm not a Southgate fan & he'll get crucified if he plays 2 x CDM's but, he almost has to in order to protect the defence which is so, so weak.
People think it's just throw the best players on the pitch & they will automatically win it all like it's FUT. Never going to happen.

I don’t think it’s that at all. But playing 5 at the back with Rice and Phillips / Henderson is embarrassing. England’s results have been poor it’s not like what he’s doing has even worked against average sides.

Do you honestly think a back 5 and 2 cdm’s gives a better chance of winning than say 4 at the back with Rice holding and Mount and Grealish in front of him? That’s the opposite extreme.

Southgate is a negative manager and a poor one at that. He isn’t the man to get the best out of them.

Terry Gibson's perm

I don’t think it’s that at all. But playing 5 at the back with Rice and Phillips / Henderson is embarrassing. England’s results have been poor it’s not like what he’s doing has even worked against average sides.

Do you honestly think a back 5 and 2 cdm’s gives a better chance of winning than say 4 at the back with Rice holding and Mount and Grealish in front of him? That’s the opposite extreme.

Southgate is a negative manager and a poor one at that. He isn’t the man to get the best out of them.

Do you think England would win it with one of the top managers like Pep or Klopp? I think Southgate would struggle to get a premier league job if he got sacked.

Frostie

We've had this debate with City earlier in the season - if you play it properly it's more of a back 3 rather than a back 5.

That said, no I absolutely wouldn't want us to play that way anyway &, as I keep saying, I'm no Southgate fan but he's going to get crucified regardless I feel.

My preference would be something like this but it's asking a lot of Bellingham so wouldn't be at all surprised if he went with Phillips or Henderson there.
Yes Mount obviously is an incredible talent who can pretty much do it all so can help out defensively but I think best use is allow him to do his pressing high up the pitch, forcing mistakes, alleviating danger on our backline.

LINEUP111621962589309.png

My issue is more when you see people suggesting teams like this & saying "
Look how good we are, we'd to win it all if not for Southgate"

On paper it's not that much different but in reality, it's much too free form & would get torn apart imo.

LINEUP111621962451118.png

Ccfcisparks

We've had this debate with City earlier in the season - if you play it properly it's more of a back 3 rather than a back 5.

That said, no I absolutely wouldn't want us to play that way anyway &, as I keep saying, I'm no Southgate fan but he's going to get crucified regardless I feel.

My preference would be something like this but it's asking a lot of Bellingham so wouldn't be at all surprised if he went with Phillips or Henderson there.
Yes Mount obviously is an incredible talent who can pretty much do it all so can help out defensively but I think best use is allow him to do his pressing high up the pitch, forcing mistakes, alleviating danger on our backline.

View attachment 20251

My issue is more when you see people suggesting teams like this & saying "
Look how good we are, we'd to win it all if not for Southgate"

On paper it's not that much different but in reality, it's much too free form & would get torn apart imo.

View attachment 20252
I'd always start James over TAA, regardless of opposition. I think he's stronger defensively and still decent going forward.

Get Pickford out too, much rather D.Henderson starts over him

Terry Gibson's perm

I'd always start James over TAA, regardless of opposition. I think he's stronger defensively and still decent going forward.

Pickford is erratic and prone to a calamity, Henderson seems more steady, Southgate loves Pickford because he can kick the ball well doesn’t seem to matter he can’t save it.

Frostie

Totally agree on TAA.

I don't think Pickford is that bad & Henderson is poor with his feet which rules him out.

Hutch11

Pickford is far and away our best keeper, never put a foot wrong for England and has been great for Everton these last few weeks
He's not in the top 10 keepers in the world but he's the best we have

David O'Day

Feel similar. He’s a very good player that I want to do well but others are more deserving of the place.

Out the 3/4 who play similar roles he's the weakest. That us not saying he is a bad player just Foden/Grealish/Mount are better

D

Deleted member 11652

Is it just me that thinks we'll do fuck all because the defence is shite?

We could potentially have a back 4 of 2 players from each of the two championship league finalists with 2 Europa league finalists in reserve. We’ll do fuck all because our manager is league one standard

CJ_covblaze

But seriously

It’s a difficult one to call in that group. Hungary could be difficult to beat. However if Germany do win in that game it probably won’t matter what they do against the other two sides as that will probably be enough for them to qualify.

If we come second we will play second place in the Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia group.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread