European championships 2020 thread (3 Viewers)

Otis

All this shit about Henderson being good around the other players.

Surely he can still go and be around the players without taking up a squad place if he isn't going to be fit enough?
Nowt stopping him being in the camp and around the squad is there. It's a nonsense.

hill83

Right.

Im in the mood now. Took me a while but bring it on. We're gonna piss it.

Even ordered the 98 world cup retro top.

🦁🦁🦁🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

jfdYQJ.gif

SBAndy

There is absolutely no chance this happens, but I’d love us to go for the Barnsley method of a triple attacking change at half time. Start with Grealish-Kane-Sancho and then switch to Rashford-Foden-Sterling. Yes, Phil Foden as a false 9. Would be bonkers.

Tommo1993

There is absolutely no chance this happens, but I’d love us to go for the Barnsley method of a triple attacking change at half time. Start with Grealish-Kane-Sancho and then switch to Rashford-Foden-Sterling. Yes, Phil Foden as a false 9. Would be bonkers.

Surely a world beating press can ease past poxy old Europe?

CJ_covblaze

Whatever you may think about Southgate’s tactics I have to say he does speak extremely well.

Not sure if this has already been posted but definitely worth a read:

He’s an incredibly articulate and intelligent individual. Throughly nice chap too.

CCFCSteve

A better essay writer than he is a manager

Bit harsh, especially at international level. World Cup semi, nations cup final (for what it’s worth) and appears to have got players enjoying playing for England again. So, better than most England recent managers !

Soon find out tho I guess. Reckon it could be his last England tournament either way

SBAndy

Bit harsh, especially at international level. World Cup semi, nations cup final (for what it’s worth) and appears to have got players enjoying playing for England again. So, better than most England recent managers !

Soon find out tho I guess. Reckon it could be his last England tournament either way

I’d be surprised if he goes before the World Cup considering there’s only a year between the two.

SBAndy

I’m convinced that nobody could do a satisfactory job with England given the presssure from the fans and the press. Hopefully him being a decent bloke means he’s just getting them in the right mind frame to go out and play some quality tournament football.

Quite. Fans demanding swashbuckling football - you only have to look at the fans’ pick of the starting XI on Sunday to see how ridiculous our expectations are and how lacking we are when it comes to knowledge of the tactical side of the game.

SeaSeeEffCee

Quite. Fans demanding swashbuckling football - you only have to look at the fans’ pick of the starting XI on Sunday to see how ridiculous our expectations are and how lacking we are when it comes to knowledge of the tactical side of the game.
You'll struggle to find many teams that have won international tournaments by playing pretty football throughout. International football is always more conservative and cautious, especially when so much if on the line.

Last edited:

CCFCSteve

I’d be surprised if he goes before the World Cup considering there’s only a year between the two.

Forgot about it only being a year away !! (lost the Covid year !). Would make sense for him to give it a go but all depends how we do I guess

no_loyalty

You'll struggle to find many teams that have won international tournaments by playing pretty football throughout. International football is always more conservative and cautious, especially when so much if on the line.

I remember when Greece won the Euro’s, they were very defensive, I think they won the majority of their matches 1-0.

SeaSeeEffCee

I remember when Greece won the Euro’s, they were very defensive, I think they won the majority of their matches 1-0.
The great Spain team that won the World Cup in 2010 scored 8 goals in 7 games and won all their knock-out games 1-0. Even the France side that won the last World Cup were being criticised back home for playing boring stuff. It's just what works at these tournaments.

CJ_covblaze

What others have said is right. Teams that play defensive football tend to do well in tournaments. It would be interesting to see what happens if we went all out attack though. I doubt many sides would be able to handle it.

Saddlebrains

And this is why we wont go as far as people think. International tournaments do tend to be pretty defensive.

So naturally you need a strong defence

Im not sure what we have can be described as strong.

We will probably score 3 or 4 a game.

Thing is we'll probably concede 2 or 3 also

SlowerThanPlatt

Will be a Walker, Stones and Mings back three I think. When you watch Mings play, it reinforces how much better Maguire is. Need him fit.

Grealish is still odds against to start

baldy

He had an easy route to the semis though

SlowerThanPlatt

He had an easy route to the semis though

Granted but you can only beat what you’re drawn against. England have failed many times in the past against lesser countries.

Iceland didn’t go according to plan or the 2014 World Cup. 2010 we finished 2nd to the USA in the group

Users who are viewing this thread