England Match (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

I like the home nations to do well personally
Having Irish parents I grew up supporting the Republic but want to see England do well in tournaments when Ireland don’t qualify.

The FA has got a lot to answer for IMO for the decades of poor to mediocre performances from the English national side in tournaments.

Brighton Sky Blue

You’d be better off looking beyond that and trying to keep up with country’s with similar populations and resources across the rest of Europe.

Northern Ireland have done far better than Scotland despite traditionally losing their better players to the Republic, having a smaller pool of players and a much worse domestic league set-up. I agree with the Scots on a huge number of things, but mention of England turns most into bitter arseholes.

England haven't been a roaring success but there's at least the possibility of them going deep into major tournaments unlike the City who look set to be marooned in a shit league with no permanent ground for years to come. Until the latter changes there's something to cheer about when the national side are in good form.

Sick Boy

Northern Ireland have done far better than Scotland despite traditionally losing their better players to the Republic, having a smaller pool of players and a much worse domestic league set-up. I agree with the Scots on a huge number of things, but mention of England turns most into bitter arseholes.

England haven't been a roaring success but there's at least the possibility of them going deep into major tournaments unlike the City who look set to be marooned in a shit league with no permanent ground for years to come. Until the latter changes there's something to cheer about when the national side are in good form.

If you’re happy to gauge success by comparing records with other teams in the British Isles then fair enough ;) Can you name another European country with a similar sized population and resources that would be envious of the national side’s record in major tournaments over the last 50 years?

Surely for the larger international sides success should be measured based upon performance in major tournaments rather than actually qualifying?

SkyblueBazza

If you’re happy to gauge success by comparing records with other teams in the British Isles then fair enough ;)
Absolutely! It is in the English FA's remit to define success & apply a realistic to.escale to achieve it.

If the other nations in the BI become less effective & England simply measures itself against them...we are doomed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Absolutely! It is in the English FA's remit to define success & apply a realistic to.escale to achieve it.

If the other nations in the BI become less effective & England simply measures itself against them...we are doomed

Shit, I cannot believe I am agreeing with SB ffs!

Sick Boy

England should be measuring itself against the likes of France, Spain, Germany and Italy. All of who have had success in major tournaments over the last 15 years.

Brighton Sky Blue

If you’re happy to gauge success by comparing records with other teams in the British Isles then fair enough ;) Can you name another European country with a similar sized population and resources that would be envious of the national side’s record in major tournaments over the last 50 years?

Surely for the larger international sides success should be measured based upon performance in major tournaments rather than actually qualifying?

Where did I ever say I was defining success by those parameters? It just brings me a bit of personal satisfaction to see Scotland continue to do the worst out of the home nations in light of all the crap I had to listen to in Scottish pubs over the years. Elsewhere you'll have also seen me go on and on in praise of German football both for the success of the national side and the Bundesliga. All I'm saying is that it's nice to see England do well when Cov are in a seemingly permanent rut.

SkyblueBazza

England should be measuring itself against the likes of France, Spain, Germany and Italy. All of who have had success in major tournaments over the last 15 years.

I might well agree with you, but it is still the English FA's remit to define what England's measure of success should be.

SkyblueBazza

Where did I ever say I was defining success by those parameters? It just brings me a bit of personal satisfaction to see Scotland continue to do the worst out of the home nations in light of all the crap I had to listen to in Scottish pubs over the years. Elsewhere you'll have also seen me go on and on in praise of German football both for the success of the national side and the Bundesliga. All I'm saying is that it's nice to see England do well when Cov are in a seemingly permanent rut.
You aren't being vindictive there are you?

Brighton Sky Blue

You aren't being vindictive there are you?

It's hard not to be when you have years of

'All England fans keep going on about 1966'
'England fans are all so arrogant they all think they're going to win the World Cup every time'
'Typical English arrogance'
'The Nazis weren't so bad because they didn't really bomb Scotland' (a genuine quote)

As I say when not going on anti-English rants I could agree with them on 99% of most issues.

The coventrian

Having Irish parents I grew up supporting the Republic but want to see England do well in tournaments when Ireland don’t qualify.

The FA has got a lot to answer for IMO for the decades of poor to mediocre performances from the English national side in tournaments.
Your English not irish ffs. My mums a dubliner I've Irish family but I'm not bothered about the Irish national team as I'm not a plastic paddy.

The coventrian

You’re a bit sad really, aren’t you?

You equate not being pro-Brexit and an English nationalist to somehow being anti-English and hating the country.

I’m trying to discuss football rather than pathetic jingoistic political crap. Not any of the national sides comparable to England would swap the records of the last 50 years.

Get back carrying out your Royston Vasey act.
What are you on about you racist.
Why do you hate this country?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Your English not irish ffs. My mums a dubliner I've Irish family but I'm not bothered about the Irish national team as I'm not a plastic paddy.

People being born here and can't be bothered to learn the bloody language....

itsabuzzard

What are you on about you racist.
Why do you hate this country?
You are insane. SB was pointing out that England have underperformed in the finals of major tournaments for just about forever, which is undeniable. I agree with him. Reaching the semis last time out was no big deal given the draw they got. Hammering a woeful Montenegran side is hardly a cause for celebration. Get some perspective.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Sort of, but you came across as being a little bitter. The reaction you sometimes get in Scotland is exactly what you'd expect from a country overshadowed by a "bigger" neighbour.

There's that and then there's just brazen nonsense. The Longshanks schtick gets very tedious after the millionth time

itsabuzzard

There's that and then there's just brazen nonsense. The Longshanks schtick gets very tedious after the millionth time
I agree there are far too many people who like to bear an historical grudge and it is tedious in the extreme. Nationalism is an unpleasant disease.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree there are far too many people who like to bear an historical grudge and it is tedious in the extreme. Nationalism is an unpleasant disease.

It would just grate being told the same stereotypes or historical grudges time after time. After years and years I just got tired of it I suppose. Not all Scots are like it either-but enough are to leave a sour taste.

CJ_covblaze

It is undeniable that compared to countries in Europe with comparable populations, the lack of silverware over 50+ years tells a very different picture to the one that gets pushed.

Can’t deny that. With our population we should do better. However not many with a similar amount do so much in so many different sports. We’re world Champions in ODI Cricket, Runners up in the Rugby Union World Cup, Semi finalists in the last women’s and men’s football world cups, one of the best in the world in Rugby League, Olympic hockey champions, pretty much secured in the top 5 or 6 of the medal table at every Summer Olympic and Commonwealth Games, an excellent record in some Winter Olympic sports, at the top table in World Ice Hockey, have countless cycling world champions, won plenty of world titles in F1, Superbikes and GP, etc etc etc. That’s before you look at the likes of bowls, darts and snooker. We do pretty well for our size.

The coventrian

You are insane. SB was pointing out that England have underperformed in the finals of major tournaments for just about forever, which is undeniable. I agree with him. Reaching the semis last time out was no big deal given the draw they got. Hammering a woeful Montenegran side is hardly a cause for celebration. Get some perspective.

Oh I'm insane? Take a look at his post history. Hes forever slagging off this country in general. He hates England.
Who said hammering Montenegro is a cause for celebration? Why not just enjoy the moment? I guess if we'd of scraped a 1 nil win then twats like you would of been moaning that we were shit etc. We cant win here ffs.
Reaching the semis was no big deal? As an England fan who actually goes to the games it was a big deal. We know we've under performed for years now. But then a lot of other major nations have as well.
Oh and fuck the bitter jocks. Its thise lot and the likes of you who go on about 66 and 'they think they'll win the world cup ' etc. We don't we know we're probably a semi final side at best.
Try getting behind the national team instead of slagging it off.

Sick Boy

Oh I'm insane? Take a look at his post history. Hes forever slagging off this country in general. He hates England

I think insane is being kind.

I’ve actually spent hours on a thread arguing against something that I think will be incredibly damaging for the country because I want what’s best for it.

SlowerThanPlatt

Oh I'm insane? Take a look at his post history. Hes forever slagging off this country in general. He hates England.
Who said hammering Montenegro is a cause for celebration? Why not just enjoy the moment? I guess if we'd of scraped a 1 nil win then twats like you would of been moaning that we were shit etc. We cant win here ffs.
Reaching the semis was no big deal? As an England fan who actually goes to the games it was a big deal. We know we've under performed for years now. But then a lot of other major nations have as well.
Oh and fuck the bitter jocks. Its thise lot and the likes of you who go on about 66 and 'they think they'll win the world cup ' etc. We don't we know we're probably a semi final side at best.
Try getting behind the national team instead of slagging it off.

The entire argument of him being a racist and hating the country is because he said England have underachieved at tournaments in relation to their rivals which you’ve now posted yourself?

Either you’re having a laugh or just completely thick

Users who are viewing this thread