End of Woke News? (3 Viewers)

rob9872

The problem with shite like this, is the reason such channels exist in the first place.

I've never actually seen it yet and it looks like if I'm going to then I might have to be quick, but the name-calling of grouping everyone as gammons and still banging on about Brexit unable to accept the result 5 years on rather than actually doing anything tangible to support and get the best out of it or start a campaign to vote for reinstatement, is part of the cause and not the solution.

It seems there is no middle ground any longer and you must be hard right or hard left and if you're not with us then you're against us. Pretty disappointing actually and I think we're better than that and all it's doing is driving a wedge and actually making things more divisive. I'm actually beginning to think that's many people's agenda, almost so they can say 'I told you so'.

Skybluefaz

The problem with shite like this, is the reason such channels exist in the first place.

I've never actually seen it yet and it looks like if I'm going to then I might have to be quick, but the name-calling of grouping everyone as gammons and still banging on about Brexit unable to accept the result 5 years on rather than actually doing anything tangible to support and get the best out of it or start a campaign to vote for reinstatement, is part of the cause and not the solution.

It seems there is no middle ground any longer and you must be hard right or hard left and if you're not with us then you're against us. Pretty disappointing actually and I think we're better than that and all it's doing is driving a wedge and actually making things more divisive. I'm actually beginning to think that's many people's agenda, almost so they can say 'I told you so'.
Sorry this joke upset you Rob.

rob9872

Sorry this joke upset you Rob.
Sorry, yeah that did come across a bit miserable. Was more of a rant at the general it's all ok from one side type thing than the actual content, which was moderately funny. Better? :)

Skybluefaz

Sorry, yeah that did come across a bit miserable. Was more of a rant at the general it's all ok from one side type thing than the actual content, which was moderately funny. Better? :)
It's just a bit of tit for tat and a British humour which we're well and truly fucked if that's gone. This is the channel that came along being all bombastic 'anti-woke' 'not scared to speak the truth' all that bollocks. I think the truth is the majority of people in the UK are much more near the middle than is portrayed by outlets such as GB news. The fact that people are not interested in it might be the proof of that.

Grendel

James Felton - the poor mans David Baddiel and a David Schneider twin

skybluetony176

Has Andrew Neill left the channel permanently?
Crossed the English Channel and now living in France allegedly. Apparently if he does return he’ll be broadcasting from his EU paradise, while slagging of the EU for attention. Such a ridiculous notion it’s almost got to be true.

COV

James Felton - the poor mans David Baddiel and a David Schneider twin

Know nothing about James Felton but David Baddiel is the least funny funny man I’ve ever known, I don’t understand how he’s made a living as a comedian all these years.

Grendel

Know nothing about James Felton but David Baddiel is the least funny funny man I’ve ever known, I don’t understand how he’s made a living as a comedian all these years.

He's funnier than Mr S and M Dave Schneider

COV

Crossed the English Channel and now living in France allegedly. Apparently if he does return he’ll be broadcasting from his EU paradise, while slagging of the EU for attention. Such a ridiculous notion it’s almost got to be true.

Well whatever the situation with him, I come back to the power of the simple gesture of taking the knee- it even managed to cause big problems for GB News. Each to their own opinions but 11 blokes kneeling down has has more impact than all the politicians put together I reckon, massively effective

skybluetony176

Well whatever the situation with him, I come back to the power of the simple gesture of taking the knee- it even managed to cause big problems for GB News. Each to their own opinions but 11 blokes kneeling down has has more impact than all the politicians put together I reckon, massively effective
In a recent poll disapproval amongst voters of the England team taking the knee has fallen from 37% to 32% over the last week. The self proclaimed silent majority are an ever shrinking minority. Maybe just maybe the country is waking up to the culture war being fabricated by the right.

rob9872

In a recent poll disapproval amongst voters of the England team taking the knee has fallen from 37% to 32% over the last week. The self proclaimed silent majority are an ever shrinking minority. Maybe just maybe the country is waking up to the culture war being fabricated by the right.
Could it not simply be that the message is getting through as to the reason they are doing it and not the reason previously perceived by some? Surely that's a good thing as if people can change their mind as the become educated otherwise what's the point in any of it? Hopefully it's simply that rather than a cheap point scoring process for one side to bash the other, although I get the impression that you'd prefer that not be the case.

skybluetony176

Could it not simply be that the message is getting through as to the reason they are doing it and not the reason previously perceived by some? Surely that's a good thing as if people can change their mind as the become educated otherwise what's the point in any of it? Hopefully it's simply that rather than a cheap point scoring process for one side to bash the other, although I get the impression that you'd prefer that not be the case.
You’ve literally just made the same point as me and then used agreeing with me to cheaply point score while accusing me of preferring it if cheap point scoring was to happen. Special talent.

rob9872

You’ve literally just made the same point as me and then used agreeing with me to cheaply point score while accusing me of preferring it if cheap point scoring was to happen. Special talent.
Well done for completely missing the point.
Your quote specifically mentioned "culture war being fabricated by the right". Completely unnecessary and irrelevant to the fact people are being educated and nothing to do with what side of the political divide they sit on. I'd also wager a number of those against the knee might have voted remain too with many racists and bigots on both side of the fence. Perish the thought.

skybluetony176

Well done for completely missing the point.
Your quote specifically mentioned "culture war being fabricated by the right". Completely unnecessary and irrelevant to the fact people are being educated and nothing to do with what side of the political divide they sit on. I'd also wager a number of those against the knee might have voted remain too with many racists and bigots on both side of the fence. Perish the thought.
In the context of GB news it’s completely relevant. The whole reasoning of the existence of GB news is because of the phoney culture war that the right is raging against the Woke minority running the world. Hence their bizarre response to Guto Harri and the even bizarrer response from their viewers to boycott, labelling him things like Marxist sleeper agent. This phoney war is being played out by our right wing government, our right wing press that even with the advent of GBeebies still isn’t right wing enough for some and any right wing commentator with a platform.
And now you’re bringing Brexit into it unnecessarily. More cheap point scoring?

rob9872

1) Brexit was already in it by the first post I responded to at the top of this page
2) Your post was reference the country, the knee and the culture war by the right - no mention of GB News
3) G Beebies - super funny play on words
4) The station perhaps has a strong RW narrative, I've not seen it, but that's like suggesting that Tommy Robinson or Nick Griffin are calling out someone for being Marxist, not the average guy on the street.
5) The press are not right wing either imo. Some are balanced some are polar opposites, tabloids are mostly trash. On TV if anything I'd say it leans to the left, but it seems so contentious from both sides that the truth means it's probably fair.

My point is that it's easy to suggest right wing politics is racist which is what your post I responded to implies, by pointing the relevance of it to the 37% now 32% against the knee. It's something I've never quite got. The far right yes, but those are morons. It's ok to be financially right and socially more central, but that's not accepted by many. In my experience I'd say the north of the country is more racist - the north with more unemployment, more deprivation, less education and more Labour voters. I'd see that as more of a divide than left or right (and no I'm not suggesting everyone in the north is racist before the argument spins that way!).

Liquid Gold

GB news was the idea that you could make an actual TV channel out of twitter beef.

That website has properly ruined brains.

shmmeee

1) Brexit was already in it by the first post I responded to at the top of this page
2) Your post was reference the country, the knee and the culture war by the right - no mention of GB News
4) The station perhaps has a strong RW narrative, I've not seen it, but that's like suggesting that Tommy Robinson or Nick Griffin are calling out someone for being Marxist, not the average guy on the street.
5) The press are not right wing either imo. Some are balanced some are polar opposites, tabloids are mostly trash. On TV if anything I'd say it leans to the left, but it seems so contentious from both sides that the truth means it's probably fair.

My point is that it's easy to suggest right wing politics is racist which is what your post I responded to implies, by pointing the relevance of it to the 37% now 32% against the knee. It's something I've never quite got. The far right yes, but those are morons. It's ok to be financially right and socially more central, but that's not accepted by many. In my experience I'd say the north of the country is more racist - the north with more unemployment, more deprivation, less education and more Labour voters. I'd see that as more of a divide than left or right (and no I'm not suggesting everyone in the north is racist before the argument spins that way!).

Agree with a lot of this, but I’d argue education (or rather lack of it) is the biggest indicator of right wing support. Cummings says that’s what made Leave so effective was recognising and playing to this.

COV

With regard to points 4 and 5 in your dissertation, isn’t it a question of populism rather than every channel being permanently and irreversibly RW or LW?

Ultimately they’re all going after viewers and readers, so they’ll say whatever they sense people want to watch and read. In this case GB News obviously got it wrong, so they will now have to say exactly the opposite to get people back watching, which is what they’ve done.

So doesn’t this suggest that GB News isn’t fundamentally racist/ anti-racist at all, it suggests that they’re willing to bend to whatever their viewers want them to be.

rob9872

Agree with a lot of this, but I’d argue education (or rather lack of it) is the biggest indicator of right wing support. Cummings says that’s what made Leave so effective was recognising and playing to this.
I'd say lack of it is related to far right yes, but (in my head at least) there is a distinct difference and inequality to those who are on the right side of the political spectrum and those on the far right. In fact I'd say those on the right of centre (without any basis or fact so purely my own speculation) would be above average in terms of intelligence. However of course I would say that :)

shmmeee

I'd say lack of it is related to far right yes, but (in my head at least) there is a distinct difference and inequality to those who are on the right side of the political spectrum and those on the far right. In fact I'd say those on the right of centre (without any basis or fact so purely my own speculation) would be above average in terms of intelligence. However of course I would say that :)

Hard to find as so much research focuses on generic “liberal” vs “conservative” views when looking at education, and those studies that go in depth like the “clans” study don’t mention demographic characteristics much.

What has been shown is the higher educated people tend to be more polarised, with a slight advantage to left wing (by a couple of percentage points) there.

Of course now we get to a educated vs intelligent debate.

Personally I’d find it hard to believe anyone with any grasp of economics would back centre right economics, the entire premise is built on a misunderstanding of macroeconomics, but that’s my biases showing maybe :)

D

Deleted member 4439

Is it time to change the thread title to the end of gammon news ;)

Interestingly, those knobs who've been found engaging in online racist abuse are millennials and Gen X, though I wouldn't want to tar everybody in those age groups with the same brush.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread