End of Woke News? (3 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If that's accurate it's interesting that more people watch morning news than evening news.
What exactly do they imagine has happened during the night? Perhaps they are more interested in overseas stories? Is this why morning news discussion points are dominated by opinions and what's in the papers?

People are getting up, getting ready for work etc so not really paying huge attention. It's background noise. As has been said in the evening it's a desire to relax and so people want something more entertaining. Maybe the early evening news might be on while they have dinner but normally for me it's something I've recorded as I'll now have time to actually sit down and watch it.

Plus if they've been asleep for the past 8 hrs something might have happened overnight compared to in the evening when they've been checking phones and having alerts pinged to them throughout the day.

oakey

Interesting. Personally never watch news in the morning. I check my phone first thing and family or friends sometimes send me links to stories in the news that I have seen already before bed. I go to sleep around 1am and can't recall any news story that happened overnight barring election nights and Grenfell.

COV

It seems nobody is interested in what they are pumping out.

But that just makes it a very sad indictment of Labour and the rest- clearly the public has no appetite for the GB news agenda, yet labour are still not any kind of attractive alternative to voters.

So yeah, it’s funny how shockingly bad the channel appears to be & how few people watch it, but it’s also a terrible state of affairs when the opposition are so far behind even when evidence suggests people don’t want to see or hear right wing stuff

skybluetony176

But that just makes it a very sad indictment of Labour and the rest- clearly the public has no appetite for the GB news agenda, yet labour are still not any kind of attractive alternative to voters.

So yeah, it’s funny how shockingly bad the channel appears to be & how few people watch it, but it’s also a terrible state of affairs when the opposition are so far behind even when evidence suggests people don’t want to see or hear right wing stuff
TBH I don’t think GB News target audience is true conservative either. Most will probably end up voting Conservative through a lack of options/or to keep the “Woke” out but it’s more the Tommy Robinson, Laurence Fox fan boys that’s their target audience.

Grendel

Depends what you believe and if you also define Sky as right wing due to its ownership and add them together…oh I thought BBC news was right wing as well

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Depends what you believe and if you also define Sky as right wing due to its ownership and add them together…oh I thought BBC news was right wing as well

I'm certainly not saying BBC news is right wing. I'm pointing out that those on the right accuse it of being leftie/woke because it ISN'T right wing. This can be shown when they had that American guy (Shapiro, I think) on a programme who accused Andrew Neil of being a leftie, when he's clearly to the right. Basically, you're not as right-wing as me so therefore you're a raving leftie. That's why we end up with things like Sky News, GB News and Fox. It's for people not interested in balance or factual reporting - it's for people who just want their own views thrown back at them in an echo chamber.

BBC is more centrist and tries to offer a balanced viewpoint, but quite often that involves having to give equal airtime to people like Farage or just random unqualified members of the public against actual experts. They do this with the left as well and have on students with little/no experience or with a bee in their bonnet about the issue of the day but their argument is flawed.

One thing I will say it is increasingly doing is being apologetic or underreporting Tory failings, largely due to veiled threats of funding cuts or selling it off.

Oh, and to save you the trouble of reacting

:ROFLMAO:

Grendel

I don't watch Sky News very often but I don't think the Comcast owned news outlets in the US are seen as right wing. If anything they seemed to have upset Trump (who didn't).
My point is those running U.K. sky news are the same people they always have been

shmmeee

Never seen anyone question Sky News TBH. They’re generally seen as on par with the other big news channels and like them are properly regulated (unlike the press).

chiefdave

Never seen anyone question Sky News TBH. They’re generally seen as on par with the other big news channels and like them are properly regulated (unlike the press).
Murdoch did plan to launch a news channel similar to GB News but binned it off once they looked at the numbers and realised it wasn't financially viable and concentrated on radio instead.

And of course Fox News was on Sky for a while but multiple issues with Ofcom and low ratings saw the plug pulled on that.

Is this the first week since Neil decided he'd had enough? Seems his show was the only thing pulling any sort of rating, be interesting to see how that slot holds up. If that falls in line with the rest of the channel and the overall ratings decline continues you've got to wonder how long those behind the channel will keep funding it.

COV

Murdoch did plan to launch a news channel similar to GB News but binned it off once they looked at the numbers and realised it wasn't financially viable and concentrated on radio instead.

And of course Fox News was on Sky for a while but multiple issues with Ofcom and low ratings saw the plug pulled on that.

Is this the first week since Neil decided he'd had enough? Seems his show was the only thing pulling any sort of rating, be interesting to see how that slot holds up. If that falls in line with the rest of the channel and the overall ratings decline continues you've got to wonder how long those behind the channel will keep funding it.

Has Andrew Neil actually fully resigned or just gone on leave?

I didn't really know too much about the bloke but having just read up- fully in favour of invading Afghanistan & Iraq, climate change denier, his views on HIV/ AIDS are disgusting & he got caught telling lies but refused to accept responsibility blaming an employee- does not sound like the nicest of blokes really.

Last edited:

Evo1883

Has Andrew Neil actually fully resigned or just gone on leave?

I didn't really know too much about the bloke but having just read up- fully in favour of invading Afghanistan & Iraq, climate change denier, his views on HIV/ AIDS are disgusting & he got caught telling lies but refused to accept responsibility blaming an employee- does not sound like the nicest of blokes really.

To be fair , he is one of the country's most respected interviewers .
Generally pretty good at his job

shmmeee

To be fair , he is one of the country's most respected interviewers .
Generally pretty good at his job

As long as you don’t ask him about any of those topics, yeah. Being a climate denier kind of writes you off as a serious commentator though. It’s a basic test of ability to follow science and logic.

Evo1883

As long as you don’t ask him about any of those topics, yeah. Being a climate denier kind of writes you off as a serious commentator though. It’s a basic test of ability to follow science and logic.

Neil to Phillip schofield in 2020

He continued: "I replied that climate change was real and needed to be confronted. But that did not mean siding with the nonsense scaremongering of extinction rebellion."

Maybe he used to deny climate change 🤷‍♂️

shmmeee

Neil to Phillip schofield in 2020

He continued: "I replied that climate change was real and needed to be confronted. But that did not mean siding with the nonsense scaremongering of extinction rebellion."

Maybe he used to deny climate change 🤷‍♂️

Yeah classic back-pedalling cos he knows it’s totally unsupportable now.

“it’s not a thing”

“‘Maybe it is a thing but it’s not serious”

“maybe it’s serious but we can’t do anything” <- we are here

“maybe we could have done something but it’s too late now”

He’s a slightly more refined Brendan O’Neill, who is a slightly more refined baldy off here. Their idea of critical thinking is to think the opposite of whatever the prevailing thought is at the time.

It makes him an entertaining interviewer but a sub par political thinker.

Evo1883

Yeah classic back-pedalling cos he knows it’s totally unsupportable now.

“it’s not a thing”

“‘Maybe it is a thing but it’s not serious”

“maybe it’s serious but we can’t do anything” <- we are here

“maybe we could have done something but it’s too late now”

So you would rather he continued denying climate change ? Strange

shmmeee

So you would rather he continued denying climate change ? Strange

Id rather he didn’t to start with.

We’re at the point now where climate denial is clearly batshit and no one who wants a veneer of respectability can credibly deny it, so he’s not.

Yet he’ll magically find some problem with every mitigation strategy discussed and offer none himself.

Ask yourself why he gets XR on and not say an actual climate scientist?

Evo1883

Id rather he didn’t to start with.

We’re at the point now where climate denial is clearly batshit and no one who wants a veneer of respectability can credibly deny it, so he’s not.

Yet he’ll magically find some problem with every mitigation strategy discussed and offer none himself.

Just say mate , you don't like Andrew Neil .

It's that simple really

shmmeee

It's that simple really

Its not about like. I’d agree he’s probably the best interviewer. He’s also a crank is all.

He’s put up as some bastion of impartiality and reason but he’s an absolute loon with extreme political views that taint his output 🤷

David O'Day

I don't watch Sky News very often but I don't think the Comcast owned news outlets in the US are seen as right wing. If anything they seemed to have upset Trump (who didn't).

Yeah Comcast own things like MSNBC who are seen as leaning liberal.

COV

It's that simple really

Thats nothing to do with it though is it. I know Ronaldo is the best at what he does, I don't like the guy though

Everyone says how nice a bloke Southgate seems but you don't rate him at all

Professional ability and likeability are not the same thing

Last edited:

PVA

Exactly.

Another example - Nigel Farage is very good at what he does... but is a total prick.

oakey

Thats nothing to do with it though is it. I know Ronaldo is the best at what he does, I don't like the guy though

You're right, of course, but unfortunately that's not how human psychology works. If we like someone we give them the benefit of the doubt. We overlook flaws and the reverse is true of those we dislike. To change would be to admit we are poor judges of character - which is too much of a stretch for some people.
It explains why BoJo is still popular. To admit he's a shyster would mean, if I'd voted for him, that I've been a fool. Much better to claim he's doing his best despite his flaws and that these flaws are unimportant. They're all as bad as each other is another trope which is clearly just being lazy. Find politicians who are better, stand as an independent youself or don't vote at all - but don't vote for populist clowns.

Evo1883

Yes I mean the fact you dislike Ronaldo or Neil are irrelevant really , your opinion on the matter is entirely yours

Reactions: COV

skybluetony176

Going well then

It sounds like they might be paving the way to cancel Guto Harri for taking the knee. GB news has said that he was in breach of their “standards” and are unable to confirm if he’s been sacked or not. Bunch of snowflakes running the channel as well as a bunch of snowflakes watching it. It’s actually amazing how quickly the channel and its target audience has become everything it’s supposed to be against.

shmmeee

Thought they were against boycotts, at least that's what they said when people were threatening to boycott advertisers.

Their apology thread is amazing.

Tweet 1: We are totally anti-racist and have no company policy about taking the knee
Tweet 2: Taking the knee was a serious breach of our standards
Tweet 3: We let both sides of the debate down

Like the other culture warriors they've found themselves backed into a corner and it's hilarious to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread