Ellis Simms Going Forward (2 Viewers)

BlueSkiesForever

I just rewatched some highlight reels of Ellis Simms this morning (always have to watch something with my breakfast don’t know why) and was sort of shocked at the difference in current quality. Do we know where Ellis is? Anyone seen him lately? It’s like he’s been replaced with a doppelgänger that’s lacking ability and confidence, and I sort of feel for him as there’s probably a lot of pressure from fans (like me), the manager, the team and also himself. I’m just wondering what you guys think the best thing to do is?

I’m wondering if it’s best to start Wright and Simms together, sounds stupid (and I know many of you will be quoting that part and just relying with the words “it does”) but Godden is not lacking in confidence whatsoever and he’s experienced enough with the club and Robins to know that sometimes you have to be dropped for other reasons than your performance, which has been pretty good so far. I look at that £11-£12 mil we’ve spent of Simms and Wright and think we really should be getting more out of them. What’s your thoughts?

StrettoBoy

I suspect it is a confidence thing with Simms. He needs to get a couple of goals under his belt and I think he will be fine.

Of course, as you say, this means he needs to get some game time and it will be counter-productive if the fans get on his back. He needs our support, not abuse.

SBT

Putting aside the ridiculous criticism of his early performances (he's been fine for us so far), I do feel a bit sorry for him - he presumably came in thinking he was going to be the main man, the marquee signing, and the centrepiece of our attack. A few weeks later we signed a more expensive and more highly-rated striker who the fans have quickly taken to and is keeping him on the bench. Not the ideal start to a move when you presumably had plenty of other good options on the table.

clint van damme

I just rewatched some highlight reels of Ellis Simms this morning (always have to watch something with my breakfast don’t know why) and was sort of shocked at the difference in current quality. Do we know where Ellis is? Anyone seen him lately? It’s like he’s been replaced with a doppelgänger that’s lacking ability and confidence, and I sort of feel for him as there’s probably a lot of pressure from fans (like me), the manager, the team and also himself. I’m just wondering what you guys think the best thing to do is?

I’m wondering if it’s best to start Wright and Simms together, sounds stupid (and I know many of you will be quoting that part and just relying with the words “it does”) but Godden is not lacking in confidence whatsoever and he’s experienced enough with the club and Robins to know that sometimes you have to be dropped for other reasons than your performance, which has been pretty good so far. I look at that £11-£12 mil we’ve spent of Simms and Wright and think we really should be getting more out of them. What’s your thoughts?

Wright's getting better every game, not sure what more you want?
Simms is a concern but I'm sure he'll come good but the longer he goes on not scoring the more the doubts about him will grow.
And no, we shouldn't drop Godden.

BlueSkiesForever

Putting aside the ridiculous criticism of his early performances (he's been fine for us so far), I do feel a bit sorry for him - he presumably came in thinking he was going to be the main man, the marquee signing, and the centrepiece of our attack. A few weeks later we signed a more expensive and more highly-rated striker who the fans have quickly taken to and is keeping him on the bench. Not the ideal start to a move when you presumably had plenty of other good options on the table.
Yeah good point tbf, he’s probably a bit pissed that he’s signed for us if we’re only going to use him as an impact sub, another reason why I feel we should start Wright and Simms together, even if it’s just for one game to see how it pans out.

hamertime

You simply cannot drop Godden or Wright just to help Simms confidence, it would be insane.

He has to find his own way of getting into the team by himself. I’m not sure you can feel sorry for a player who is earning thousands a week.

if he is going to make it as a top level professional footballer, these are the challenges he needs to rise to.

BlueSkiesForever

Wright's getting better every game, not sure what more you want?
Simms is a concern but I'm sure he'll come good but the longer he goes on not scoring the more the doubts about him will grow.
And no, we shouldn't drop Godden.
I agree with you about Wright, I just grouped the cost of them together because I feel like we’ve spent a lot on them and we should be thinking about starting them together, either way you look at it it’s going to be at least £5 million worth of a brand new signing sitting on the bench if Godden starts every single week for the rest of the season. Again it’s not a criticism of Godden but I feel we should be giving them both game time to bring out the best in them, never know it could be the best combo in the world.

Kingokings204

I think he has been fine. Lacking a goal and maybe a touch of confidence but it’s been 5 games. Been at the club less than 2 months. He clearly has quality and will get goals in this league. I’m afraid where we live in this football world where everything has to be instant with fans. Was Vik was Hamer? No chance but turned in to our best ever players. Time and patience but a 22year old who clearly has bags of potential. Same with our other players MVE is better now than a month ago imo.
Chelsea have spent 115m on caicedo and he gave a penalty straight away. Patience

Time and the robins management I have faith he can be fantastic for us.

BlueSkiesForever

You simply cannot drop Godden or Wright just to help Simms confidence, it would be insane.

He has to find his own way of getting into the team by himself. I’m not sure you can feel sorry for a player who is earning thousands a week.

if he is going to make it as a top level professional footballer, these are the challenges he needs to rise to.
But if he never gets the chance to start then how is his confidence going to grow, it’s sort of a catch-22 situation.

Skybluecol

Drop Godden? Not a chance....he's playing well, chasing down defenders well (which Wright has to do more), scoring goals and is high on confidence......last thing you do is drop him for a game atm

hamertime

But if he never gets the chance to start then how is his confidence going to grow, it’s sort of a catch-22 situation.
Like any other player, will have to wait for an injury or do something when he comes on. What would it say to other players if he was starting on a sympathy card. It’s irrelevant what we’ve paid for him he’s here now.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’d assume when we were speaking to him we’d have been honest enough about our other targets but that his game time wouldn’t suffer that much as a result. This is a long season, he’ll get plenty of opportunities.

ccfcchris

That's the brutal reality of football.

johnwillomagic

Ludicrous!! Do you think Pep does that with payers on his bench at Man City! :rolleyes:

He is behind Godden and Wright for me in pecking order in terms of performance - so unless we play three up front he has to bide his time on the bench, get his head down and train well and take his opportunity when it arises just like at any other professional football club.

I am sure with the volume of games played and injuries he will more than get his chance during the season he just has to take it when it arises.

clint van damme

I agree with you about Wright, I just grouped the cost of them together because I feel like we’ve spent a lot on them and we should be thinking about starting them together, either way you look at it it’s going to be at least £5 million worth of a brand new signing sitting on the bench if Godden starts every single week for the rest of the season. Again it’s not a criticism of Godden but I feel we should be giving them both game time to bring out the best in them, never know it could be the best combo in the world.

If Godden keeps scoring he should stay in in my opinion.
If he it's a barren spell or gets injured Simms needs to be ready to take his chance. And Im sure at some point that will happen.

StrettoBoy

I suppose having three decent strikers is a nice problem to have. Simms will get his chances whether due to injury, loss of form by the others or substitutions when we are well ahead or one of the others is tiring.

Brighton Sky Blue

He’s only 22 and has shown more than enough in his career so far that he’ll do a job for us. Even Tavares who’s the same age and done nothing in his career so far gets more leeway ffs.
Plenty saying we didn't need to bring in a 4th striker because Tavares will be back soon.

croatskyblue

Drop the top scorer so someone else can hopefully get more confident- weird.

I’m sure Simms will be ok, but I somehow doubt Robins is the type to sacrifice goals purely in order to give a player a warm feeling about himself.

Simms needs to be ready to take advantage if Wright/ Godden have a dip or get injured, but chopping Godden now would be a daft thing to do. We’re only just starting the season, this is over the top.

fatso

So your suggesting dropping a player that has confidence and is scoring goals for a player who has no confidence and isn't scoring goals.

What page of the football managers handbook will I find that little gem?

M.R. morning Matty, I've decided that, because your playing so well and scoring goals, and contributing to the team effort, that it would be a good example to the whole squad to drop you, in favour of that useless waste of money Simms.

M.G. OK boss I totally get it, I promise in future to loaf around like a useless twat, and generally look like I don't want to be here, and couldn't give a fuck about ccfc.

M.R. Brilliant, I knew you'd understand, and with that attitude, you'll be back in the side in no time at all.
Can you ask Fadz to come in please.

Last edited:

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Robins made some comments about Simms needing to work a bit harder (or maybe adapt something in his game I can't remember exactly) almost immediately after we'd signed him didn't he? That may be affecting him a bit whilst he gets used to what Robins and Viveash want him to do for us and he will hopefully come good when he does get a little run in the side. I hope he is getting frustrated to be honest, hopefully spurs him on to find those required improvements and make a case for starting more games.

KFT

Chances are that he will get his opportunity to make an impressino against Hull, albeit not with Wright.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeah good point tbf, he’s probably a bit pissed that he’s signed for us if we’re only going to use him as an impact sub, another reason why I feel we should start Wright and Simms together, even if it’s just for one game to see how it pans out.
He’s in competition with Godden and Wright for a starting berth. So he won’t be an impact sun if he takes his chances.

It’s only 5 games in, nothing is set in stone and plenty will change.

shmmeee

If Godden keeps scoring he should stay in in my opinion.
If he it's a barren spell or gets injured Simms needs to be ready to take his chance. And Im sure at some point that will happen.

Godden is due an injury in about six games if I recall the stat correctly.

Simms has been fine, only Latibeadiere has played more minutes than Godden, which is about twice as many as Simms. It's not like Simms has had a decent run and failed.

Reactions: AOM

JSL

He did reasonably well in pre season friendlies, scoring a few goals. I think his confidence has gone since Wright was signed. He will have thought he was going to be top dog until then but now he not and his head has dropped. it will come back I am sure but he needs a run in the side to get it. That can only currently happen if there's and injury for Wright or Godden

Offhegoes

Got to say, I think he looks good. Just short of match practice, and confidence. He came on at Swansea, and turned 2 of their defenders on the half way line and powered past them. It instantly reminded me of prime Cyrille Regis.

StrettoBoy

He did reasonably well in pre season friendlies, scoring a few goals. I think his confidence has gone since Wright was signed. He will have thought he was going to be top dog until then but now he not and his head has dropped. it will come back I am sure but he needs a run in the side to get it. That can only currently happen if there's and injury for Wright or Godden

That sums up my thoughts exactly 👍

skybluecam

I don't find Simms' career highlights so far particularly impressive really - lots of scrappy finishes and his first touch is often massive.

Godden will inevitably get injured and he'll get an extended starting run.

Users who are viewing this thread