EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (7 Viewers)

ccfc92

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200518_102250_com.twitter.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20200518_102250_com.twitter.android.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20200518_102256_com.twitter.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20200518_102256_com.twitter.android.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 66

Brighton Sky Blue

He is a prick when playing BCD will force clubs under, your Rochdales Accringtons etc. All in the vain hope of a very much outside chance promotion.

The only danger caused has been by the EFL not being more proactive in securing funds for the clubs. Nobody negotiated even when DM laid out specific ways that the funding could be obtained.

Sky Blue Harry H

The faster this gets resolved the better before it gets out of hand - they will be back to null and void if we are not too careful - fuckers

It can't end null and void - L2 'promoted' would go nuts. Only really Southend calling for it. Bolton don't want another points deduction season all over again.

steve cooper

Revealed: How League One sides intent to vote in EFL meeting

Alarmingly there are 6 fence sitters who are being described as swing voters.

This isn't great news for us at all if true given that as much as 40% of the league already want the season to continue.
Published by the Telegraph which in the past week has written editorials containing such statements as Coventry are top with 34 points, and Rotherham are currently 11th in the league.

SkyBlueCRJ

To be fair, I think we'd be OK with whatever scenario comes out on top. End it now; we go up. Play on: we go up.

I'd certainly fancy us to go if the season was resumed but a week ago no one wanted it to play on and now suddenly they do. It's quite clear that the unpredictability and prolonged uncertainty, combined with the endless rants from the Lord Prick of Peterborough isn't helping anyone so whatever the decision is it needs to be made in the next meeting.

SkyBlueCRJ

Published by the Telegraph which in the past week has written editorials containing such statements as Coventry are top with 34 points, and Rotherham are currently 11th in the league.

They already made a typo in the headline so hopefully that sets the theme for the rest of the article.

Tbh I do hold a certain scepticism about the 'swing voters'. Realistically this is one of the biggest decisions in L1 history so it's not exactly a time for owners to take the view of 'fuck it lets see what happens when we rock up'.

My guess is they're keeping their cards close to their chest as they don't want to get involved in a public spat.

Brighton Sky Blue

They already made a typo in the headline so hopefully that sets the theme for the rest of the article.

Tbh I do hold a certain scepticism about the 'swing voters'. Realistically this is one of the biggest decisions in L1 history so it's not exactly a time for owners to take the view of 'fuck it lets see what happens when we rock up'.

My guess is they're keeping their cards close to their chest as they don't want to get involved in a public spat.

That or McAnthony is working to persuade as many other chairmen to join him as he can

SkyBlueCRJ

The owner of a football club trying to get football played.

That's all well and good what about the teams who can't afford to play?

Don't be as naive to assume he wants football to be played to protect the integrity of the game.

He's bitter because the most popular decision doesn't work in his favour so he's going on the aggressive to ensure he gets his way.

Skyblueweeman

Showing balls would have been to get the funding in place and make every effort for football to be played. Calling a football chairman trying to get games on a prick is like being in the twilight zone

His point is right though BSB. EFL showing no backbone...although I can't say I'm surprised.

jordan210

Don't be as naive to assume he wants football to be played to protect the integrity of the game.

He's bitter because the most popular decision doesn't work in his favour so he's going on the aggressive to ensure he gets his way.

He hasn't help himself by making it all about him and claiming he has missed out on a 25 million transfer.

I can fully understand his argument and it has legs. He just hasn't handled himself well.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m not and well aware it’s mostly the play off sides gagging for a restart. But a broken clock is right twice a day and speaking as a football fan it escapes me why we’re all sat here finding excuses not to play and to not find any feasible way of making it happen. If clubs can’t find a way to fund 8 BCD games what actually does that say about lower league finances? Or about the EFL not making any effort to reshuffle the commercial deals so that money due further down the line comes now?

This problem isn’t going away even with a new season.

AFCCOVENTRY

L1 is going to end up very messy I feel. If they are saying 51% for a majority that isn’t a fair reflection across the leaves imo. 75% is fair for any decision.

Brighton Sky Blue

His point is right though BSB. EFL showing no backbone...although I can't say I'm surprised.

They get criticism from me as well. But when nobody acts then it has given somebody proposing action more influence than he otherwise would. At least he outlined a way in which funding could be delivered to the member clubs.

Liquid Gold

The longer this drags on the less likely any football is going to be played anyway. It obviously isn't going to happen as some clubs would go under so won't vote for it but even if they agreed today that we'll play on theres the 3 week pre season and then only a few weeks until contracts expire. What the EFL cn do is set a deadline whereby a recommencement has to be agreed upon, if we go past that then we just look at how to finish on ppg, nothing else.

Sky Blue Pete

The longer this drags on the less likely any football is going to be played anyway. It obviously isn't going to happen as some clubs would go under so won't vote for it but even if they agreed today that we'll play on theres the 3 week pre season and then only a few weeks until contracts expire. What the EFL cn do is set a deadline whereby a recommencement has to be agreed upon, if we go past that then we just look at how to finish on ppg, nothing else.
They will absolutely do this. I have more time for Efl now I think I understand that their priorities are not the same as we all think they should be.

AFCCOVENTRY

EFL meeting on Weds. Voting on Friday.

Fry is ok with Coventry going up but not Rotherham.

Peterborough United are made to wait on their fate again as League One clubs not expected to vote again until the end of the week
Peterborough United are not expected to learn their 2019-20 season fate until the end of the week.
By Alan Swann
Monday, 18th May 2020, 10:43 am
T0FLMTIyNDg2MDQx.jpg

Barry Fry (right).
Posh director of football Barry Fry told the Peterborough Telegraph today (May 18) that League One clubs would not be askled to vote on any further scenarios until after an EFL board meeting scheduled for Wednesday (May 20).

League One clubs failed to make any decisions at a meeting on Friday. Fry says there is no chance the season will be delared null and void, but how to decide promotion and relegation issues is very much up for debate.

Posh need a weighted points per game average (home and away form taken into account) to finish in the play-off places. A straight points per game formula, as League Two clubs have already decided to adopt, would drop Posh out of the play-off places.

T0FLMTIyNDg2MDQ2.jpg

Barry Fry believes it would be unfair if Rotherham (white) are promoted ahead of Posh under a points-per-game scenario. Copyright: Joe Dent/JMP

“The League One season will not be declared null and void,” Fry stated. “Promotions will be granted. There will be play-offs, but as yet the League One clubs can’t agree on the way forward.

“The EFL board are meeting on Wednesday. They will then present the possible scenarios to the clubs and we will then vote on them later in the week, probably on Friday.

“My fear is the EFL deciding League One should follow what League Two have done, but that would be wrong as Rick Parry (EFL chairman) has said the Championship, League One and League Two clubs can make their own decisions.

“I know the EFL want to promote Coventry and Rotherham (the current top two) and then have play-offs. I can just about see why Coventry would be allowed to go up, but promoting Rotherham would be wrong.

“They are only two points ahead of two teams and three points ahead of four other teams. Ourselves and Oxford have a better goal difference. Rotherham might go on and finish second if we played the season out, but equally they might finish eighth.

“Different play-off proposals have been made as well. Our chairman has suggested eight teams could be involved, but we will just have to wait and see what happens.

“Obviously a weighted points per game suits us if we can’t play on. It’s also a lot fairer than a straight points-per-game formula.

“One thing for sure is we won’t vote to try and scrap relegation like League Two clubs have. There is no sporting merit in that at all.”

Magwitch

Think it was just to highli
He hasn't help himself by making it all about him and claiming he has missed out on a 25 million transfer.

I can fully understand his argument and it has legs. He just hasn't handled himself well.
If a division three player moved for £25 million anytime let alone in this current climate I’ll show my backside in Broadgate.

SkyBlueCRJ

I’m not and well aware it’s mostly the play off sides gagging for a restart. But a broken clock is right twice a day and speaking as a football fan it escapes me why we’re all sat here finding excuses not to play and to not find any feasible way of making it happen. If clubs can’t find a way to fund 8 BCD games what actually does that say about lower league finances? Or about the EFL not making any effort to reshuffle the commercial deals so that money due further down the line comes now?

This problem isn’t going away even with a new season.

The state of lower league finances has always been dire. If it's taken a global pandemic for that to be revealed to you then you've clearly got a lot of catching up to do.

No one has said the problem is going away, but playing the remaining games isn't exactly the solution to remedying the financial plight in L1 and L2.

It escapes me why you don't seem to understand that. Rick Parry has himself claimed that multiple clubs in the EFL are likely to go bust by the summer. Do you think forking out to play a handful of games is going to help their situation when multiple clubs are already at their knees? Or perhaps is it a bit wiser to end the season now, bide time and hope that the EFL pulls their finger out and tries to plug the £200M black hole.

I certainly know which option I'd take.

Brighton Sky Blue

The state of lower league finances has always been dire. If it's taken a global pandemic for that to be revealed to you then you've clearly got a lot of catching up to do.

No one has said the problem is going away, but playing the remaining games isn't exactly the solution to remedying the financial plight in L1 and L2.

It escapes me why you don't seem to understand that. Rick Parry has himself claimed that multiple clubs in the EFL are likely to go bust by the summer. Do you think forking out to play a handful of games is going to help their situation when multiple clubs are already at their knees? Or perhaps is it a bit wiser to end the season now, bide time and hope that the EFL pulls their finger out and tries to plug the £200M black hole.

I certainly know which option I'd take.

Patronising guff

Magwitch

EFL meeting on Weds. Voting on Friday.

Fry is ok with Coventry going up but not Rotherham.

Peterborough United are made to wait on their fate again as League One clubs not expected to vote again until the end of the week
Peterborough United are not expected to learn their 2019-20 season fate until the end of the week.
By Alan Swann
Monday, 18th May 2020, 10:43 am
T0FLMTIyNDg2MDQx.jpg

Barry Fry (right).
Posh director of football Barry Fry told the Peterborough Telegraph today (May 18) that League One clubs would not be askled to vote on any further scenarios until after an EFL board meeting scheduled for Wednesday (May 20).

League One clubs failed to make any decisions at a meeting on Friday. Fry says there is no chance the season will be delared null and void, but how to decide promotion and relegation issues is very much up for debate.

Posh need a weighted points per game average (home and away form taken into account) to finish in the play-off places. A straight points per game formula, as League Two clubs have already decided to adopt, would drop Posh out of the play-off places.

T0FLMTIyNDg2MDQ2.jpg

Barry Fry believes it would be unfair if Rotherham (white) are promoted ahead of Posh under a points-per-game scenario. Copyright: Joe Dent/JMP

“The League One season will not be declared null and void,” Fry stated. “Promotions will be granted. There will be play-offs, but as yet the League One clubs can’t agree on the way forward.

“The EFL board are meeting on Wednesday. They will then present the possible scenarios to the clubs and we will then vote on them later in the week, probably on Friday.

“My fear is the EFL deciding League One should follow what League Two have done, but that would be wrong as Rick Parry (EFL chairman) has said the Championship, League One and League Two clubs can make their own decisions.

“I know the EFL want to promote Coventry and Rotherham (the current top two) and then have play-offs. I can just about see why Coventry would be allowed to go up, but promoting Rotherham would be wrong.

“They are only two points ahead of two teams and three points ahead of four other teams. Ourselves and Oxford have a better goal difference. Rotherham might go on and finish second if we played the season out, but equally they might finish eighth.

“Different play-off proposals have been made as well. Our chairman has suggested eight teams could be involved, but we will just have to wait and see what happens.

“Obviously a weighted points per game suits us if we can’t play on. It’s also a lot fairer than a straight points-per-game formula.

“One thing for sure is we won’t vote to try and scrap relegation like League Two clubs have. There is no sporting merit in that at all.”
Fleetwood will win play-offs anyway, they have the Joey Barton factor.

Legia Sky Blue

I would still rather we opted to play on, and win the title on the field of play, instead of getting awarded it by committee, if that is in anyway possible. If we go up through PPG calculation then fine I will happily take that, but now null and void seems off the table, I don't want to see this ridiculous idea of up to 10 clubs involved in play offs, possibly including us, given any credence.

no_loyalty

Gillingham, Lincoln and Bristol Rovers also want the season concluded as they still think they could sneak into the playoffs. I think Gillingham may of sneaked in as they were on a very good run, but no chance Lincoln and Bristol Rovers would have made it.

Users who are viewing this thread