EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

How can they set a deadline until we even have a date and schedule for the Championship to resume & conclude. Surely we need that first before a vote can realistically be taken.

I'm sure the setting up of the schedule can be dragged out for a few weeks.

What would happen if there is a second surge. I would want to play the weakest teams first. How can you possible setup a schedule which is fair?

If this is a problem then why isn't it a problem for the games already played?

Brighton Sky Blue

No your original point was that any club can go under at any time due to unsound finances, mine was that forcing some clubs to play in these extenuating circumstances could cause one or more to go under.

You've just turned it into a DMAC love in again for some reason.

Hardly, he just happens to have been trying to get football back on for months. His motives are obviously self interest but the actual objective is correct

SkyBlueCRJ

That's how ridiculous it is. Bristol Rovers are in 14th place and 14 points from the playoff positions.

It is becoming a nonsense.

What's perhaps more comical is that Lincoln are currently in relegation form as since January they've registered one just the one win.

Why on earth would they want to continue.

gally9

I’ve just read that he’s said clubs that can’t or won’t play should forfeit results? Sporting integrity my arse.. what happens if we restart and corona virus goes through our club.. we end up without O hare ... Allen .. Marosi etc for 2 weeks.. at best .. we could easily lose 5 or 6 games in a way and drop out through no fault of our own.. even worse a footballer dies... he’s gonna look a right prick.

CCFC88

Hardly, he just happens to have been trying to get football back on for months. His motives are obviously self interest but the actual objective is correct
Just cause he's been trying to do it for months doesn't mean its the right thing to do. In fact it speaks louder thatches been trying to do it for months and he's still no close to achieving his aim.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just cause he's been trying to do it for months doesn't mean its the right thing to do. In fact it speaks louder thatches been trying to do it for months and he's still no close to achieving his aim.

It wasn’t right to even try and suggest ways of getting the funding in place?

SkyBlueCRJ

Watch his pitch in full

If you mean the one at the start of the mess then I've watched it. He makes some good points - not all of which I necessarily agreed with but they were sound points all the same.

But like I said, who's at fault here. Rick Parry has been in contact regularly with Sky due to the ongoing battle regarding iFollow and his request for the terms of the contact to be changed so that games could be streamed on a Saturday - which currently breaches the contract between Sky and the FL. I think this request was denied unless the FL were willing to reimburse Sky.

As he's in conversation with them already I'd hope conversations regarding solidarity payments would've at least taken place. The EFL have been shown to be incompetent, that's not up for debate. But as I've said from the very start his proposal relies on Sky being flexible when they're the ones in a strong negotiating position - which is hardly comforting.

CCFC88

Kiss me I’m Irish

In all seriousness he was proposing this 2 months ago and was coming up with ways of meeting the funding shortfall.
I'm sure he was, and I can't knock his effort. If his plans had any credence to them though they would have been put in motion.

Just cause he's told talksport he has a plan doesn't mean it works and certainly doesn't mean it works for the other 22 teams in the league

Brighton Sky Blue

If you mean the one at the start of the mess then I've watched it. He makes some good points - not all of which I necessarily agreed with but they were sound points all the same.

But like I said, who's at fault here. Rick Parry has been in contact regularly with Sky due to the ongoing battle regarding iFollow and his request for the terms of the contact to be changed so that games could be streamed on a Saturday - which currently breaches the contract between Sky and the FL. I think this request was denied unless the FL were willing to reimburse Sky.

As he's in conversation with them already I'd hope conversations regarding solidarity payments would've at least taken place. The EFL have been shown to be incompetent, that's not up for debate. But as I've said from the very start his proposal relies on Sky being flexible when they're the ones in a strong negotiating position - which is hardly comforting.

Fairer

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm sure he was, and I can't knock his effort. If his plans had any credence to them though they would have been put in motion.

Just cause he's told talksport he has a plan doesn't mean it works and certainly doesn't mean it works for the other 22 teams in the league

Never said he had all the answers. But he was visibly trying to find ways of getting it to work.

chiefdave

Other than him keep saying he wants the games played has he made any practical proposal as to how that would actually happen or who would cover the costs? We don't even have a return date for the Prem with all the money involved there!

We've been told by the EFL it would take a minimum of 56 days to complete the games and several managers have said a minimum of 2 weeks for a pre-season. With player contracts expiring 30 June that would mean the latest players could return to training to get the season finished would be 21 April, does anyone see a problem there?

SkyBlueCRJ

Other than him keep saying he wants the games played has he made any practical proposal as to how that would actually happen or who would cover the costs? We don't even have a return date for the Prem with all the money involved there!

We've been told by the EFL it would take a minimum of 56 days to complete the games and several managers have said a minimum of 2 weeks for a pre-season. With player contracts expiring 30 June that would mean the latest players could return to training to get the season finished would be 21 April, does anyone see a problem there?

Genuinely the only message I've taken from his interviews and press coverage is me, me, me, me, me, me.

No solutions offered or realistic proposals issued for clubs that cannot afford to play on.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Showing Saturday afternoon games is down to UEFA and they have already suspended the restriction to allow games to be shown, hence the 2:30pm kick offs in the Bundesliga being on BT Sport this weekend.
Uefa lifts Saturday 15:00 football TV blackout in England and Scotland
Any involvement from Sky will be around the number of games they show. There's pressure from the government for games to be free to air as well but that's probably only going to impact the Prem and Championship. BBC1 aren't going to be showing L1 games in prime time!

SkyBlueCRJ

Showing Saturday afternoon games is down to UEFA and they have already suspended the restriction to allow games to be shown, hence the 2:30pm kick offs in the Bundesliga being on BT Sport this weekend.
Uefa lifts Saturday 15:00 football TV blackout in England and Scotland

What about the contract that's in place? Does that suspension on the restriction override it's terms then?

EFL bid to rewrite deal with Sky Sports in order to broadcast all league matches live on iFollow | Daily Mail Online

wingy

Isn't there some scheme to extend contracts for one month?
I wish there wasn't though cos all this pontificating and shite would be over now

chiefdave

What about the contract that's in place? Does that suspension on the restriction override it's terms then?

EFL bid to rewrite deal with Sky Sports in order to broadcast all league matches live on iFollow | Daily Mail Online
The games wouldn't be in any contract as they wouldn't have been allowed to show them. L1 will be a non issue. If football does get played it will be behind closed doors so Sky, BT, Amazon and anyone else prepared to cover the cost of showing games will get as many as they like to ensure every game is being broadcast. With the Prem alone, let alone the Championship, that will give enough games for pretty much wall to wall coverage. Top 2 divisions playing twice a week is enough matches for 6 live games a day!

Users who are viewing this thread