EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (9 Viewers)

Terry_dactyl

I understand the flippancy.

If we are to get promoted let's hope the ground situation can gradually be resolved.
Yeah, will be crucial. I’m sure it’s probably be discussed elsewhere on here but has there been any news on how lockdown is impacting on Wasps? If the rumours to be believed they were already struggling prior to all this?

Philosorapter

Yeah, will be crucial. I’m sure it’s probably be discussed elsewhere on here but has there been any news on how lockdown is impacting on Wasps? If the rumours to be believed they were already struggling prior to all this?

I think any team in a sport which has gone down the cash path is going to struggle in the current environment.

I really don't like giving them any exposure, especially in the General Chat here.

The ones that adapt the quickest to the situation will get the best results.

Terry_dactyl

I think any team in a sport which has gone down the cash path is going to struggle in the current environment.

I really don't like giving them any exposure, especially in the General Chat here.

The ones that adapt the quickest to the situation will get the best results.
I see, the walls have ears is it? Fair enough.
I may be off the mark but I think that SISU will be looking upon all this as an opportunity. I’m just not clever enough to know why!

The coventrian

It’s completely illogical! If we’d been winning most weeks since dropping out the PL, we’d have been back there ages ago! The last 3 seasons have been pretty good, especially this one. But it took us dropping down to the bottom tier to do it! Hardly “winning most weeks”. And I’d rather be thumped by Liverpool or Chelsea than Yeovil or Tranmere.
Crazy logic isnt it. We had some bloody good times in the top flight. A lot of our younger fans have just witnessed lower league dross. Why deny them the privilege of seeing top flight football because us older ones have already been there done it etc.

Magwitch

I understand the flippancy.

If we are to get promoted let's hope the ground situation can gradually be resolved.
This needs sorting gone a bit quiet lately with this coronavirus issue and matches being suspended but it is a possible Achilles heel all the time, won’t make too much difference for a while as I suspect behind closed doors will be with us for a bit, be nice to get it sorted so when crowds return it can be in Cov.

Mcbean

Football won’t be the same watching it on computer sadly but I am guessing all this year bcd but at least we might get a bit more coverage in the press as the championship will be full of old Prem / Division 1 games for the pundits to look up - at the moment the only Cov game they seem to remember is Sutton !

Liquid Gold

Just like league 1 was a big step up from league 2, we invested enough made sure we had a good foothold in the league and pushed this season we can do the same in the championship, albeit alot more money required.
The gap between league one and the championship is astronomical compared to leagues one and two. Single players will be raking in more than entire squads at this level. Staying up will be an enormous achievement on our budget.

tisza

Crazy logic isnt it. We had some bloody good times in the top flight. A lot of our younger fans have just witnessed lower league dross. Why deny them the privilege of seeing top flight football because us older ones have already been there done it etc.
absolutely. I saw some terrible City sides/performances when we were in Div 1 but it's still the memories of watching some outstanding results/performances against the likes of Liverpool in the 80s (when they were outstanding) that remain.
It's just a fact that knowing Utd/liverpool/Spurs etc were coming on Saturday was a lot more exciting than the likes of some of teams we've been playing last few seasons.
Then you've got bigger crowds leading to better atmosphere and a bigger day out anyway.

matesx

The gap between league one and the championship is astronomical compared to leagues one and two. Single players will be raking in more than entire squads at this level. Staying up will be an enormous achievement on our budget.

Yep staying up on goal difference would be a great 1st season

TomRad85

I think we'll be relying on finishing above the other 2 promoted teams plus maybe one or two others that are entering financial difficulty. Blues, Derby, Wednesday from what I hear.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

alfielloyd

agreed, we might get away with the back part of our team, but bearing in mind walsh and o'hare will likely be gone the front part of our team will need a complete overhaul. without a ground, funding what will be necessary will probably not happen. just hope fans remember whatever happens robins should not be sacked after a run of defeats.

Gibbo

That's the thing, there is definitely a roadmap being used to jump divisions here.

I'm not one to count my chickens before their hatched but climbing the Championship should be no different from previous seasons. Just the quality of opposition gradually improving.

Rinse and repeat.
You are the numbers guy, check the numbers. Those with parachute payments have £40m those without average £4.5. We will have less. The rinse and repeat will probably be an endless struggle to stay in the Championship.....unless we find a sugar dadfy

tisza

One of the keys would be how well they use the loan market.
Plus with BCD for a chunk of next season likely there will probably be a big rein-in by many Championship clubs on spending this summer (hence the sudden urgency for wage cap discussions for that division over last 2-3 weeks). Might level the field a bit.
But the gap is absurd - Rick Parry told the select committee owners were having to put in around 16 million of their own money (as loans put on the clubs) to get promoted.
Physios on £191,000 and kit men on £56,000! Crazy wages don't add up in EFL with clubs on the brink | Daily Mail Online
EFL’s Parry says clubs face £200m shortfall as talk turns to salary caps and rescue packages - Inside World Football

Gibbo

It is no more illogical than watching your team being thumped most weeks. In the last 10 years in the top flight we had one good season - by that we nearly got to halfway. I was glad we got relegated in the end, after 30+ years I was fed up of it. In 32 years we got into Europe via the League once. I have friends who are West Ham United fans - success equals winning the Everton Cup, i.e. coming 7th, or just staying in the top flight. All that anxiety and little fun. I'd rather beat Doncaster, Oxford and Rotherham on successive weeks. The peak of my ambitions is that we get to the play offs of the Championship, but lose in the semi finals

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was just wondering where the Vile are in all this? I seem to recall they were really struggling when the season was halted. 2nd from bottom with a game in hand, which, if they won, would take them above the relegation zone. I know it's nowt to do with us really, but the thought of playing them again in the league excites me, especially as my fat fuck son-in-law is a Vile fan! And he's had the nerve to bring up my grandson the same way! Wanker! Would love to send him a sweaty pair of unwashed city socks, but I haven't spoken to him for about 3 years, and wouldn't waste my energy.

SlowerThanPlatt

It is no more illogical than watching your team being thumped most weeks. In the last 10 years in the top flight we had one good season - by that we nearly got to halfway. I was glad we got relegated in the end, after 30+ years I was fed up of it. In 32 years we got into Europe via the League once. I have friends who are West Ham United fans - success equals winning the Everton Cup, i.e. coming 7th, or just staying in the top flight. All that anxiety and little fun. I'd rather beat Doncaster, Oxford and Rotherham on successive weeks. The peak of my ambitions is that we get to the play offs of the Championship, but lose in the semi finals

You would rather stay in League One than be towards the bottom of the Championship?

Voice_of_Reason

As someone who watched CCFC rise up from Division 3 (South) and the old Division 4, experiencing the entire Jimmy Hill era and 34 years unbroken time in the top flight, I enjoyed the top flight even though we struggled most seasons. Every game allowed me to see the top teams and international players and the experience of staying up despite everyone saying we would be relegated was brilliant. Would love to experience e that again.

shepardo01

It is rumoured that cattermole is was on 60k p/w.... that would have certainly been more than our total squad wage last season...
I think Sunderland's wage bill in L1 last year was 12-14m - chairman said that would put them top half of Championship, and they failed in LG 1!
Astounding figures.
I kind of felt sorry for the guys picking up the pieces of Ellis Shorts reign as owner.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I grew up in the 90s. I’d disagree - I enjoyed the late 90s more than I enjoyed playing Stockport, Forest Green and Barnet.

I’d much rather watch the likes of Rooney v Liam Kelly. One season in league 2 was awful. Yeah we got promoted and won the play offs. The only games I proper enjoyed were the play off games. The rest of the league is pure dross, as is league one.

beating teams like Arsenal And United meant much more, now I expect to beat everybody the lower we go down, and it’s pure disappointment when we don’t

what’s the difference between no success in e championship as opposed to 17th in the prem?

kg82

We’ve had, at a push, 3 good seasons in 19 since we were relegated from the Prem, and 2 excruciatingly bad ones.

RegTheDonk

agreed, we might get away with the back part of our team, but bearing in mind walsh and o'hare will likely be gone the front part of our team will need a complete overhaul. without a ground, funding what will be necessary will probably not happen. just hope fans remember whatever happens robins should not be sacked after a run of defeats.
Have to agree with MR. He's had a couple of weeks where the wheel seemed to come off, but by god he's turned it around.
Probably the only time I can recall wanting Villa to stop up!
We will most likely struggle to pay the bills next season and I expect MR and Body will have to negotiate wages and transfers ... however the rest of the pack may also be handicapped playing BCD for a while. Perhaps that gives us an additional few months to barter over the Ricoh?

D

Deleted member 4439

Orderd the little one a baby kit from the shop £40 down to £15 in the sale, orderd yesterday will be delivered today just in time for promotion

S/he'll be walking by the time this is decided.

Gynnsthetonic

I'd just like to be back in Cov with 20000+ crowds again, when you have 8000 there with 36 away fans it's a horrible football experience!

DannyThomas_1981

I hear both sides of this. For me as a supporter for 40+ years, I've actually enjoyed the last 3 seasons more than any other. The revival of the team under Robins has been epic; and the quality and style of play has been brilliant to watch. For me and I know it's different for others; that's much more enjoyable than playing in the top flight and fighting successive relegation battles. These past 3 years have provided my best City memories.

Travs

It doesn't matter how we are promoted, we have pretty much walked this season and we don't even have a ground!! I find that hilarious.
The others can do one..it is just jealousy,
We have played 34 away games this season and still beat the lot of them with games in hand and points to spare.
FUCK EM.

We've hardly "walked it". While we were hovering around the lower playoff positions, people here were regularly claiming we'd flop. Some even taking relegation. We didn't win away until well into the season.

Yes we appear to be a step above most teams in terms of consistency, and what we can do on our day.... But to claim we walked it is forgetting half the season.

Grendel

I hear both sides of this. For me as a supporter for 40+ years, I've actually enjoyed the last 3 seasons more than any other. The revival of the team under Robins has been epic; and the quality and style of play has been brilliant to watch. For me and I know it's different for others; that's much more enjoyable than playing in the top flight and fighting successive relegation battles. These past 3 years have provided my best City memories.

Ridiculous sorry it’s just a bonkers argument - it’s rubbish compared to top flight football

steve cooper

As someone who watched CCFC rise up from Division 3 (South) and the old Division 4, experiencing the entire Jimmy Hill era and 34 years unbroken time in the top flight, I enjoyed the top flight even though we struggled most seasons. Every game allowed me to see the top teams and international players and the experience of staying up despite everyone saying we would be relegated was brilliant. Would love to experience e that again.
Yes, I pride myself in having been to at least 80% of the entire 34 years of home games, and can honestly say I never felt too despondent about losing streaks. Obviously any loss is a disappointment whatever division we are in, but I can certainly remember the excitement that went with winning relegation battles, as much as the odd times we beat the likes of Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread