EFL Decision on Coventry’s future expected today (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Every club in the top 6 is going to be concerned about the same thing surely?

Plus, momentum wasn't the only thing that was going for us.
Yes true enough

steve cooper

It’s not so much about logistics but more that if you’ve got the general public who aren’t being tested for whatever reason but footballers are it’s going to cause anger, which is entirely understandable.
The best we can hope for is PPG, IMO. League 1 is not going to be a priority for the footballing authorities, all of the talk is about the PL and the £££.
I think people are looking at the testing issue as of today's situation, but testing will need to be ramped up massively before we can even consider relaxing lockdown rules. If that happens testing should not be an issue. I don't think there will be any chance of any events going ahead until testing is under control and widely available.

Grendel

I think people are looking at the testing issue as of today's situation, but testing will need to be ramped up massively before we can even consider relaxing lockdown rules. If that happens testing should not be an issue. I don't think there will be any chance of any events going ahead until testing is under control and widely available.

What you are basically saying is most lower level sport will cease to exist

Brylowes

Every club in the top 6 is going to be concerned about the same thing surely?

Plus, momentum wasn't the only thing that was going for us.
No ‘but we were the only team that had built up a real momentum’ so therefore
We are the only team that can realistically ‘lose its momentum.

olderskyblue

Maybe play just the outstanding fixtures so every team has played the same number of games, then ppg to finish it. (Probably already been suggested?)

CCFC88

Maybe play just the outstanding fixtures so every team has played the same number of games, then ppg to finish it. (Probably already been suggested?)
I'm not sure this can happen due to the Bury situation though? If there had been no postponements through the season one team minimum would have always been behind on games played until season was finished.

Frank Sidebottom

Excellent that they may have to review the whole damn thing.

Voiding seasons makes no sense.
Yeah I can't see the value of scrapping a season thats 80% done so that a season that may be heavily delayed anyway.
I think they may need to do something radical and freeze all leagues as they are and start next season (when safe) with 6 leagues of 15/16 based on current league positions and then revert back to the original format the following season again using league positions to restructure.

Flying Fokker

Yeah I can't see the value of scrapping a season thats 80% done so that a season that may be heavily delayed anyway.
I think they may need to do something radical and freeze all leagues as they are and start next season (when safe) with 6 leagues of 15/16 based on current league positions and then revert back to the original format the following season again using league positions to restructure.
Am I right in thinking there are 72 clubs in the EFL usually 4 x 18. Where would that leave city?

Paxman II

The French have announced League 1 and 2 will no longer be completed. Standings will be worked out to a system yet to be determined. basically means current standings will be used with possibly a ppg to finalise it. So I fully expect our EFL will (when they finally get their heads out of the sand) follow suit. Which will confirm our promotion. Keep the champagne on ice guys just a little while longer!

BackRoomRummermill

The French have announced League 1 and 2 will no longer be completed. Standings will be worked out to a system yet to be determined. basically means current standings will be used with possibly a ppg to finalise it. So I fully expect our EFL will (when they finally get their heads out of the sand) follow suit. Which will confirm our promotion. Keep the champagne on ice guys just a little while longer!

this was said by me and many others weeks ago

Colin Steins Smile

Concerning news from Germany where they started to lift some of the restrictions and infection rate has now risen again. This might raise questions of football returning there with the impact of affecting decisions here

covcity4life

Concerning news from Germany where they started to lift some of the restrictions and infection rate has now risen again. This might raise questions of football returning there with the impact of affecting decisions here
Its bound to raise everywhere once lockdown is eased

This virus isnt going anywhere soon and authorities will be expecting the rise. Jist got to hope its not too big a spike

SkyBlueCRJ

he’s entertaining though

It's unlikely that millions will go back to work anytime soon though and those that do will be forced to action serious social distancing in order to work safely. Something that cannot be replicated on a football pitch. Does he not watch the news - or maybe he's been drooling over Trump's press conferences whilst cooped up in his Miami home for a bit too long?

The bloke is genuinely a dodgy dance away from being the EFL's very own David Brent.

wingy

It's unlikely that millions will go back to work anytime soon though and those that do will be forced to action serious social distancing in order to work safely. Something that cannot be replicated on a football pitch. Does he not watch the news - or maybe he's been drooling over Trump's press conferences whilst cooped up in his Miami home for a bit too long?

The bloke is genuinely a dodgy dance away from being the EFL's very own David Brent.
If the players and everyone else involved is quarantined before hand and during where is the risk.
For instance I haven't had it nor been out of my front door for a month ,nor have my grandkids.
I could visit them knowing with certainty I am no harm to them .

Otis

If the players and everyone else involved is quarantined before hand and during where is the risk.
For instance I haven't had it nor been out of my front door for a month ,nor have my grandkids.
Well, not from the virus anyway.

Paxman II

Not true apparently. You can carry the virus unbeknown to you.

Paxman II

As with everything we need to end uncertainty at some point. Players, clubs, fans TV, you name it. A bit like Brexit!

Ian1779

At least he’s committed to getting the season finished. I’m more inclined to listen to his opinion (even if I disagree) than those chairman coming out with this voiding nonsense.

covboy1987

As with everything we need to end uncertainty at some point. Players, clubs, fans TV, you name it. A bit like Brexit!

Think the news that Germany if confirmed (hopefully not) may have a second wave is going to be an issue to any football in the medium term till a vaccine is found

SkyBlueCRJ

In theory yes, but that's far easier said than done. Realistically footballers would have to be treated in the same manner as society's vulnerables in order for you to guarantee their safety which means themselves, and their families may not be able to go out for food shops or even a walk due to the risk of coming into contact with others, and in turn put themselves at risk catching the virus and spreading it to teammates/the opposition.

Unfortunately your personal situation is irrelevant as there are many that haven't been following the enforced guidelines, including footballers. You only have to do a quick google search and you'll find plenty of reports in the media of footballers flouting the guidelines - and that's just the high profile ones that are being reported on. So can you really guarantee that every single footballer in the Premier League and the EFL won't break quarantine throughout the duration of the remainder of the season and avoid catching the virus? More importantly, can the powers at be ensure footballers can safely play if the season is resumed? As Simon Jordan rightly pointed out if cases of Covid-19 begin appearing whilst the season is underway then they could actually risk themselves of facing a worst case scenario situation of corporate manslaughter.

Call me a pessimist but relying on every single footballer to respect social distancing guidelines in the run up and during the season just won't happen IMO.

Last edited:

David O'Day

In theory yes, but that's far easier said than done. Realistically footballers would have to be treated in the same manner as society's vulnerables in order for you to guarantee their safety which means themselves, and their families may not be able to go out for food shops or even a walk due to the risk of coming into contact with others, and in turn put themselves at risk catching the virus and spreading it to teammates/the opposition.

Unfortunately your personal situation is irrelevant as there are many that haven't been following the enforced guidelines, including footballers. You only have to do a quick google search and you'll find plenty of reports in the media of footballers flouting the guidelines - and that's just the high profile ones that are being reported on. So can you really guarantee that every single footballer in the Premier League and the EFL won't break quarantine throughout the duration of the remainder of the season and avoid catching the virus? More importantly, can the powers at be ensure footballers can safely play if the season is resumed? As Simon Jordan rightly pointed out if cases of Covid-19 begin appearing whilst the season is underway then they could actually risk themselves of facing a worst case scenario situation of corporate manslaughter?

Call me a pessimist but relying on every single footballer to respect social distancing guidelines in the run up and during the season just won't happen IMO.
That's we they have ordered the boatload of test kits

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread