eastwood scores twice for the reserves!!!! (3 Viewers)

ccfcway

La lucha and Ccfcway - why would you play Deegan at cdm when he's a box to box midfielder who has shown us he's got an eye for goal? Thomas has looked pretty good in that position imo apart from the southampton game.

I would play him CM, but IF AT is still here, we will be playig diamond, and as a result, Deegan can shield the back 4 and put himself about a bit.

lordsummerisle

Think that Kevin Kyle has probably got a better goal to game ratio than Eastwood.

Eastwood has never had a good scoring record in the Championship, first half a season for Southend, nothing the second half, nothing at Wolves, McCarthy knew what he was doing when he refused to let us have him on loan, only a permanent signing at the end of the season.

To think some called him "Mad Mick", who didn't have a clue.

rob9872

Reserves is about his level so hardly a surprise. Records apart, I find it astonishing that so many of you who are so quick to pounce on other flops who have comparable records in the leagues below (eg ROD/MacDonald), are prepared to afford someone so many chances. He has constantly failed, never done it at this level under many regimes, bled the club dry in terms of wages (not his fault we would all take it) whilst taking the mick out of us fans by not even staying fit to do the job which he is employed to do. Lazy scrounging gypsy should be as far away from this squad as is possible whatever our current plight.

Nick

Administrator
The thing is, if he was so unfit and unable to do his job. Why has he not been sacked and his contract terminated?

I am not saying he is blameless, just that I think there is more to it than Thorn saying he is too unfit to play.

rob9872

Thats just not true though Nick, its as if you aren't counting the games where he hasn't scored. 17 goals in 121 games is dreadful for a striker that we spent over £1m on in transfer fess and much more in wages. You only have to see his body language when he does play to see that his heart isn't in it.

A lazy 1 goal in 7 appearances striker is the last thing we need right now.

17 including a hat-trick and a few two's. The amount of games he has failed to achieve anything in is beyond bad. It wouldn't be so bad if he had other attributes like link-up or work rate that could be offered, but when he isn't on his game he offers absolutely nothing.

rob9872

Macca has proven pedigree at this level though. I agree he is frustrating and doesn't always produce but he is probably the one player in the squad who can make something happen out of nothing and worth his place (imo) if only for that. In fact this is another reason not to play Eastwood because we can't afford to carry one passenger let alone two or more.

Nick

Administrator
Macca has proven pedigree at this level though. I agree he is frustrating and doesn't always produce but he is probably the one player in the squad who can make something happen out of nothing and worth his place (imo) if only for that. In fact this is another reason not to play Eastwood because we can't afford to carry one passenger let alone two or more.

And he is from Coventry...

The thing is, I am gonna put my neck out and say I'd put a tenner on Eastwood scoring as many as Macca last season if he was given the same chance.

There is obviously something behind the scenes, as when he did go on a scoring run he was dropped straight away even though he was scoring when the other striker was fit (can't remember who it was now)

rob9872

As I understood it he was injured and never regained his place rather than dropped. Also on what evidence are you basing that Eastwood would do the business? I would happily have laid you that tenner because five years to achieve nothing in the prime of his career suggests to me that he's not up to it.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Regarding Eastwood, I think he'd suit playing just behind the strikers. He hasnt got the pace he used to, but when he has the ball at his feet, hes a good technical player. OK he hasnt really done himself any favours fitness wise this season, but I dont believe a player loses their ability just because they become unfit!

Nick

Administrator
As I understood it he was injured and never regained his place rather than dropped. Also on what evidence are you basing that Eastwood would do the business? I would happily have laid you that tenner because five years to achieve nothing in the prime of his career suggests to me that he's not up to it.

Because you are going by appearances which I think count coming on as a sub which I think a hell of a lot of those will be and our last few managers have had something against making subs before 80 minutes which has always annoyed me so to come on for 5-10 minutes, usually out of position there is not much that can be done.

With a decent run of starts, he has scored goals when he has started. I am not saying Eastwood is at a King level, but McSheffrey had a spell for 3/4 of last season when he did nothing, he was awful and Freddy could have been drafted in.

He is a technically gifted player, he has a good footballing brain and with match fitness and motivation he would score a lot of goals for us.

Nonleagueherewecome

I know what you mean lad but if he didn't want to train then surely we could have sacked him?

I believe that Thorn is a very stubborn manager take the McPake and Deegan saga's too, he seems very bolshie

He played the Deegan situation perfectly IMO. Gave him a kick up the arse, he'd been playing crap, now he's come back fitter and playing to his potential. When Fergie does that with Rooney he gets hailed as a genius; our manager does it, and we call him "bolshie"?

rob9872

Regarding Eastwood, I think he'd suit playing just behind the strikers. He hasnt got the pace he used to, but when he has the ball at his feet, hes a good technical player. OK he hasnt really done himself any favours fitness wise this season, but I dont believe a player loses their ability just because they become unfit!

Agreed . I just don't believe Eastwood ever had the ability to play at this level.

musicmanskyblue

And he is from Coventry...

The thing is, I am gonna put my neck out and say I'd put a tenner on Eastwood scoring as many as Macca last season if he was given the same chance.

There is obviously something behind the scenes, as when he did go on a scoring run he was dropped straight away even though he was scoring when the other striker was fit (can't remember who it was now)

Might have been Clinton Morrison Nick...

Nonleagueherewecome

Nick-how many games did Sheff play up front last year? I don't see Freddy scoring that many from the hole..or even up front.

rob9872

Because you are going by appearances which I think count coming on as a sub which I think a hell of a lot of those will be and our last few managers have had something against making subs before 80 minutes which has always annoyed me so to come on for 5-10 minutes, usually out of position there is not much that can be done.

With a decent run of starts, he has scored goals when he has started. I am not saying Eastwood is at a King level, but McSheffrey had a spell for 3/4 of last season when he did nothing, he was awful and Freddy could have been drafted in.

He is a technically gifted player, he has a good footballing brain and with match fitness and motivation he would score a lot of goals for us.

I disagree that he is technically gifted or has a good footballing brain but that's your opinion of which you are of course entitled. However if he has a problem with motivation when he is living a pampered lifestyle and being paid £12k per week for doing something we all love then that tells you all you need to know about his character.

ICHAN

The thing is, if he was so unfit and unable to do his job. Why has he not been sacked and his contract terminated?

I am not saying he is blameless, just that I think there is more to it than Thorn saying he is too unfit to play.

Said the same thing Nick, surely he could be sacked for breach of contract for being unable to do the job he is paid to do, but do not know how football cotracts work so that is just a guess.

As for freddie himself he has been here long enough to have proved himself, not all the managers who have been here and MM can't be wrong in not playing him? and as rob said MM must have been rubbing his hands to get rid of him.
When is his contract up anyway? Hopefully the end of the year.

rob9872

In the interest of balance so you have all the facts, FE has started 81 games and came on as a sub in 40 of his 121 games.

rob9872

Platt career - 101 goals in 531 games as a striker, less than one goal in 5 games

Juke career - 35 goals in 148 games as a striker, less than one goal in every 4 games

McSheffrey career - 81 goals in 324 as a winger. Exactly one goal in every 4 games.

O'Donovan carer - 42 goals in 146 games as a striker, approx one in every 3.5 games

Eastwood career - 107 goals in 311 as a striker, a goal in less than every 3 games.

McDonald career - 93 goals in 171 as a striker, a goal in less than every 2 games

Any chance you can replicate those stats for goals and appearances in the top two divisions of English football? I know you're only quoting stats btw but difficult to compare someone like Platt with FE who despite being a striker plays a completely different role for the team.

rob9872

IF they will pay half his wages it might give us some budget to bring someone else in that can help.

ccfcway

Any chance you can replicate those stats for goals and appearances in the top two divisions of English football? I know you're only quoting stats btw but difficult to compare someone like Platt with FE who despite being a striker plays a completely different role for the team.

yer, one is fit and prepared to play for the team, the other is happy to take his wages until his contract runs down and he moves onto another team

Dean Allsop

at the weekend I was at the ricoh and saw freddie eastwoods porshce cayanne in the car park around 2ish about twenty minutes later he and his car was in tescos petrol station, I have heard that he is fit and ready to play, but when he turns up and sees that his name is not on the teamsheet he and his brothers leave and go home, can't really blame him if he is doing what is asked but not getting picked what would you do, i would do the same, maybe he will get his chance you never know, my thoughts are play him and big mac ! up front as for me juke looks knackered after 20mins or so gets in the way and does little else to inspire anyone and as for platt not good enough, play to your strengths I was told when I played, juke and platt are not our strengths. I know I am going to getting abuse for my comments but like i said they are my thoughts.

WillieStanley

The last time I saw him play was the Norwich friendly. To me, up until he got that knock, he didn't look too bad. I'm convinced there's more to this. There's got to be. The whole thing makes no sense!!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
at the weekend I was at the ricoh and saw freddie eastwoods porshce cayanne in the car park around 2ish about twenty minutes later he and his car was in tescos petrol station, I have heard that he is fit and ready to play, but when he turns up and sees that his name is not on the teamsheet he and his brothers leave and go home, can't really blame him if he is doing what is asked but not getting picked what would you do, i would do the same, maybe he will get his chance you never know, my thoughts are play him and big mac ! up front as for me juke looks knackered after 20mins or so gets in the way and does little else to inspire anyone and as for platt not good enough, play to your strengths I was told when I played, juke and platt are not our strengths. I know I am going to getting abuse for my comments but like i said they are my thoughts.

i dont believe this happens every game. Im not saying i dont believe your story but i parked in car park B for one game earlier in the season (cant recall who we played). This was early on in the Eastwood debacle, and he was there all game, and I seen him leave after the game. Things might be different now, but thought id put it accross that this hasnt always been the case (if there is even 'a case')

Users who are viewing this thread