Doug King live on air Monday (1 Viewer)

KenilworthSkyBlue

Hang on that’s something different. If he bought the club with debt then he lied about us being debt free. Regardless I’m talking about operating losses from here out. Sisu lent us cash at extortionate rates. Is that was King plans to do as well? Would be nice if someone a bit more with it than the average BBC reporter could ask the questions TBH.

Without stating the obvious King clearly has the same strategy whereby the club's operating losses need to be covered as much as possible. The price hikes with regards to tickets and hospitality are a clear indicator of this.

It's also why I've said repeatedly that I very much doubt anything more than a quarter of Gyokeres' fee will be reinvested back into the playing budget as I've long thought that the bulk of this would probably be utilised to cover operational losses for the forthcoming season. The same will likely apply to Hamer as I'd imagine DK will look to keep much of his fee as a reserve for the following season.

The concern is, is that if we're still going to be relying on continually selling our best players to keep us afloat, it's not a particularly strong strategy for achieving promotion.

I think you're correct in saying further questioning needs to be posed to King. Not that I expect any of the questions to be answered in full.

CCFCSteve

Has anyone asked Doug what he thinks he brings to the table as owner? Would be interested to hear his reply, I’m guessing the usual about being a great businessman. But I’d really like to know why someone buys a club at this level with no intention of putting money in.

It’s a fair question. I just see it as he’s a step up from SISU.

Willing to cover losses - SISU could no longer willing/able to do this, hence Hyam sale. This should help us sell for a stronger position. I also got the impression previously that King won’t be charging the previous crazy rates SISU would charge for covering losses.

Seek to maximise revenue - not sure WTF SISU we’re doing here but already we’re seeing a marked change in this area. Obviously only able to do this if there’s success on the pitch

Provide stability/longer term planning - it felt like SISU were all hand to mouth. No investment in training ground etc. infrastructure is massively important, especially when attracting players

I wouldn’t be surprised if in the medium term he secured investment partners which would be more of a game changer.

Appreciate lots of ifs and buts and I’m still to be convinced as this will naturally take time. It’s a cliche but actions speak louder than words so I want to see how the window/season goes before forming judgment… we’ll probably know a lot more in 12 months

Grendel

1 million I think spent on Scott Dan and Danny Fox I think.

They invested around £26 million at the point of purchase

shmmeee

I guess I just want to see something positive from him. You can talk about fans doing their bit, but when we’ve had record ticket sales two seasons running I’d argue it’s the club that’s not pulling their weight here. Ultimately no matter how much Doug doesn’t want to lose money, that’s what’s going to happen due to the state of the game at this level. There’s no route to profitability at this level, you get out one way or another.

Happy_Martian

Nowhere in that interview did DK say he wouldn’t be putting money into the team. All he said was by increasing revenues it allows us to become more competitive with the top teams in this division. He’s also not going to be shouting from the rooftops what our budget is as that just weakens our hand in any negotiations.

I got an alternate impression. He did say that he's primarily using his money to develop the off-field side of the business. And this included covering any operating losses accrued. I agree that he didn't say he wasn't financially supporting the squad but he does want to maximise any revenue streams to help improve the team. If anything, this is improving on what SiSu did as any F&B, season tickets, Sky TV money will be ringfenced into going into the squad (and not to repay debtors if we have any or buying any handbags for Mrs K or restocking King of Shaves accessory packs ;) ).

Dann, Fox, Eastwood, Westwood were the headline ones, although Dann was more than that I think.

1687166976512.png

SeaSeeEffCee

I suppose like the last six months it’s wait for September to judge.
Agreed. King hasn’t really done anything yet outside of what you’d expect a new owner to do. Let’s wait and see how much investment there is into the team this summer and how serious he actually is about us being a team that consistently challenges for the play-offs.

NorthernWisdom

I got an alternate impression. He did say that he's primarily using his money to develop the off-field side of the business. And this included covering any operating losses accrued. I agree that he didn't say he wasn't financially supporting the squad but he does want to maximise any revenue streams to help improve the team. If anything, this is improving on what SiSu did as any F&B, season tickets, Sky TV money will be ringfenced into going into the squad (and not to repay debtors if we have any or buying any handbags for Mrs K or restocking King of Shaves accessory packs ;) ).

View attachment 30255
Must be true then...

KenilworthSkyBlue

I guess I just want to see something positive from him. You can talk about fans doing their bit, but when we’ve had record ticket sales two seasons running I’d argue it’s the club that’s not pulling their weight here. Ultimately no matter how much Doug doesn’t want to lose money, that’s what’s going to happen due to the state of the game at this level. There’s no route to profitability at this level, you get out one way or another.

I'm pretty sceptical of King and he needs to prove his worth but realistically we need to see where the club/squad is at post January at the very least as there's a huge amount of work to be done this year.

For me the priorities are: further infrastructure into the training ground, commercial department and backroom staff, align the club with more impactful partners/sponsors and ultimately to give Robins the means to build a competitive squad that is capable of challenging in the top half.

If he can realise all that I'll be happy with how things have started. Still a lot of work to be done in the long run, especially with regard to liaising with Frasers Group and trying to build that relationship further. But ultimately that would provide us with a pretty positive springboard in the short term.

In a way I'm less concerned about him putting his hand in his pocket (or others' pockets) than I am about him providing some direction for the club. As that was what was obviously seriously lacking before.

It was constantly hand to mouth, trying to get through each month without a catastrophe from occurring.

Last edited:

Balli001

Record sales last year but a quarter were kids tickets and hospitality was virtually free.

GIMOC

I see the king apologists out in force this morning. he didn’t answer the most important question, how many boxes have been sold so far. the extra revenue would amount to half a mill. Don’t think that will bridge the gap with the ‘bigger clubs’

NorthernWisdom

I'm pretty sceptical of King and he needs to prove his worth but realistically we need to see where the club/squad is at post January at the very least as there's a huge amount of work to be done this year.

For me the priorities are: further infrastructure into the training ground, commercial department and backroom staff, align the club with commercial more impactful partners/sponsors and ultimately to give Robins the means to build a competitive squad that is capable of challenging in the top half.

If he can realise all that I'll be happy with how things have started. Still a lot of work to be done in the long run, especially with regard to liaising with Frasers Group and trying to build that relationship further. But ultimately that would provide us with a pretty positive springboard in the short term.
All seems fair. Think we have to be braced for next season not being particularly good on the pitch, too, and judge as much as to whether we're setting up properly for medium term succeess.

Sky Blue Pete

Yep I like he’s investing in what he is.
The only meaningful investment under him will come from player sales

hill83

I see the king apologists out in force this morning. he didn’t answer the most important question, how many boxes have been sold so far. the extra revenue would amount to half a mill. Don’t think that will bridge the gap with the ‘bigger clubs’

Oh no, are we at the ‘apologists’ phase already. It’s not even 5pm yet either.

Where’s McNally by the way?

Briles

Youre right here is no profitability, so its all about minimising losses. This is why a more prudent owner is key and not an all or bust mentality. He will obviously give Robins a budget and it certainly won't be less than SISU did even without the Gyok or Hamer sales. The expectation with a "new owner" is cash injection, but its not always about the squad. Thing is some fans who buy season tickets do it for pitch entertainment and don't really consider the behind the scenes running costs.

Robinshio

What doesn’t sell will go on a match by match basis and would easily sell for £500 a match if needed big games for £1000 or more. So as a minimum we will get £15k per box

KenilworthSkyBlue

Youre right here is no profitability, so its all about minimising losses. This is why a more prudent owner is key and not an all or bust mentality. He will obviously give Robins a budget and it certainly won't be less than SISU did even without the Gyok or Hamer sales. The expectation with a "new owner" is cash injection, but its not always about the squad. Thing is fans who buy season tickets do it for entertainment and don't really consider the behind the scenes running costs.

Playing devils advocate here but it won't be much more either, Gyokeres and Hamer sales included. If he wants to minimise losses the budget will more or less have to remain the same.

Although with much of the deadwood departing I don't think the budget necessarily needs increasing all that much as in the context of what Robins has at his disposal there's a lot more room to manoeuvre this summer.

Saddlebrains

I smelt a rat when DK said that player sales would not used to pay off debt, yet when he took over, we were supposed to be debt free. Unless of course he is referring to future debt such as him financing infrastructure.
Am still of the opinion that for whatever reason, SISU have brought him in to facilitate a sale and that proceeds from said sale will ultimately end up in SISU's pockets less DKs commission.
Don't like MA, but feel he will end up owning us.

Nail on head tbh

shmmeee

Youre right here is no profitability, so it’s all about minimising losses. This is why a more prudent owner is key and not an all or bust mentality. He will obviously give Robins a budget and it certainly won't be less than SISU did even without the Gyok or Hamer sales. The expectation with a "new owner" is cash injection, but it’s not always about the squad. Thing is some fans who buy season tickets do it for pitch entertainment and don't really consider the behind the scenes running costs.

Ultimately the current spend isn’t sustainable. We will go down eventually with it. Robins and Viveash come along once in a blue moon. We’ve had this discussion under Sisu. There’s a finite time before they go where we could get serious bang for our buck and hair shirts now will waste that opportunity.

Balli001

Surely it matters how many we sell when the season starts. We havent started pre season yet and you want to beat him down over unsold boxes a week after they go onsale. Odd.

Briles

Ultimately the current spend isn’t sustainable. We will go down eventually with it. Robins and Viveash come along once in a blue moon. We’ve had this discussion under Sisu. There’s a finite time before they go where we could get serious bang for our buck and hair shirts now will waste that opportunity.

I think we will be happy after the transfer window, we never said that under SISU really

Briles

Playing devils advocate here but it won't be much more either, Gyokeres and Hamer sales included. If he wants to minimise losses the budget will more or less have to remain the same.

Although with much of the deadwood departing I don't think the budget necessarily needs increasing all that much as in the context of what Robins has at his disposal there's a lot more room to manoeuvre this summer.

Yeah I think with the season ticket sales and departing players Robins will have a bigger budget than usual

shmmeee

I never get the September thing. The season begins on 5august

Gats when the window closes and we know what the squad looks like. We’ve done the “go mental in early august only for us to sign/sell some one major” before.

shmmeee

5 year premier league package

5 year stadium deal

Dougs only putting his own cash into the only asset we have, Ryton.

It stinks of a short term view of ownership, tidying it up where possible, improving the asset we have and making the backroom set up more professional to then sack it off

Five year plan on the pitch too.

Users who are viewing this thread