Do you want to discuss boring politics? (15 Viewers)

shmmeee

The language needs to start changing before we have another Jo Cox situation on our hands

I know it’s wrong. But the thing that annoys me most about that article is the guy had a fucking confederate flag in his bag. Get some fucking British racism. You’re supposed to be a nationalist!

Grendel

Simon Gilbert has a top knot on his head

wingy

Like how the article also casually slips in that the two homes were built in breach of planning laws. Shouldn't there be some action about that as well?
Normally get knocked over if you're a regular pleb .
If they were pikeys be roundly condemned .

wingy

One sided perspective but informative

I think we're likely to follow the existing conservation /quota system anyway .
At least according to Gove around 3 years ago

Not the panacea fishermen probably were hoping for.

chiefdave

Probably being a bit sensationalist as the media do,but interesting from the economic viewpoint of subsidy.
Is that just a regular occurrence but a good opportunity for someone to have a dig at Johnson after his “I remember how some people used to sneer at wind power 20 years ago and say that it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding,” comments?

Bizarrely that person was Johnson!

shmmeee

Is that just a regular occurrence but a good opportunity for someone to have a dig at Johnson after his “I remember how some people used to sneer at wind power 20 years ago and say that it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding,” comments?

Bizarrely that person was Johnson!

Thought it was interesting that they’ve been paying generators to not generate power because of oversupply during lockdown.

wingy

You know it's quite interesting and has been obvious for year's and certainly the case for at least twenty years.
This Idea of public investment in infrastructure .
The model used to be Gov't extract's taxation and dispensed to projects.
Now we have taxation plus end user's funding through enhanced rate per unit , thinking energy, transportation etc sure there are others.
So we have taxation close or at historical levels and additionally inflated rates on services provided.

NorthernWisdom

shmmeee

fernandopartridge

One sided perspective but informative

I think we're likely to follow the existing conservation /quota system anyway .
At least according to Gove around 3 years ago

Not the panacea fishermen probably were hoping for.

I don't think fishermen were ever that bothered tbh, it's been an issue invented by politicians.

NorthernWisdom

The more things change eh?
Yeah I did see similarities. In that respect, though, it shows how much the left was beaten, that Corbyn ended up the torch bearer. Benn was a great orator, and a great mind. Of the current lot, McDonnell was certainly better at the rhetoric and firebrand nature, but prone to the odd gaff and stupid moment. Corbyn to be leader just didn't end up with the same passion in it as you'd have maybe expected / hoped for the great left vision.

But that article is interesting, about waiting for the appropriate time, about delivering a great speach, changing the direction of a movement through force of conviction and personality. Kinnock is an interesting politician really because, at his best, he could move people, he could persuade people to follow, he had fire... but somehow was never quite seen as a PM in waiting.

shmmeee

Yeah I did see similarities. In that respect, though, it shows how much the left was beaten, that Corbyn ended up the torch bearer. Benn was a great orator, and a great mind. Of the current lot, McDonnell was certainly better at the rhetoric and firebrand nature, but prone to the odd gaff and stupid moment. Corbyn to be leader just didn't end up with the same passion in it as you'd have maybe expected / hoped for the great left vision.

But that article is interesting, about waiting for the appropriate time, about delivering a great speach, changing the direction of a movement through force of conviction and personality. Kinnock is an interesting politician really because, at his best, he could move people, he could persuade people to follow, he had fire... but somehow was never quite seen as a PM in waiting.

No balding ginger Welshman will ever be seen as PM material. He could have been possessed by JFK and that would’ve still been the case.

Both left and centre left of the party lack anyone with that kind of rhetoric. I have a theory about the reduced role of the church and unions in left wing politics cutting off the supply of good orators. Church for the fire and brimstone, unions for the ability to take people with you and negotiate. Too many left wing politicians are activists and not leaders these days.

NorthernWisdom

No balding ginger Welshman will ever be seen as PM material. He could have been possessed by JFK and that would’ve still been the case.

Both left and centre left of the party lack anyone with that kind of rhetoric. I have a theory about the reduced role of the church and unions in left wing politics cutting off the supply of good orators. Church for the fire and brimstone, unions for the ability to take people with you and negotiate. Too many left wing politicians are activists and not leaders these days.
Interesting too, the bit about Kinnock feeling the need to speak to the people.

wingy

Interesting. .
Breath of fresh air really in a world of crap
Noting the system of MMP and 3 year term .
Quite novel.

Ian1779

Interesting. .
Breath of fresh air really in a world of crap
Noting the system of MMP and 3 year term .
Quite novel.
You could reasonably argue she has won an outright majority because of her response to the pandemic which has made traditional National party voters switch to support her.

Grendel

You could reasonably argue she has won an outright majority because of her response to the pandemic which has made traditional National party voters switch to support her.

Its somewhat easier to manage in a country like New Zealand then Europe. She’s a fairly die hard capitalist but just has a better PR approach I guess

Grendel

People wouldn’t have as many issues with capitalism if it paid its way fairly.

The gap between the rich and the poor in New Zealand is pretty similar isn’t it??

Users who are viewing this thread