Do you want to discuss boring politics? (11 Viewers)

shmmeee

Tesla looks well overvalued atm.

Question is whether they catch up to justify it, or go bust in a dot com bubble echo.

Elon Musks ego bubble will never pop!

I think they’ve missed their chance TBH. Musk shat the bed on self driving and Model 3 production then decided to become a living meme.

These days the big boys are making cars just as exciting but without the new company build issues that plague Tesla. I think their only saving grace now is the amount of data their fleet collects and the advantage that might give them in autonomy. Still a long way to go to prove autonomy will ever be more than a party trick though.

David O'Day

That’s exactly what will happen. The moderation applied clearly wasn’t fit for purpose, and I’m pretty certain that Ofqual would have done pretty much the same thing.

Carnage awaits.

They used an algorithm that actually knocked you down marks if your school wasn't a traditional high achiever so kids who qwhen to poorer schools but worked hard were being downgraded basically for where they lived.

The SNP and their devolved Scottish education dept. signed off on this so they need to be doing more than saying sorry.

Grendel

Oh I know nothing about cars, especially the economics of them. Just saying as a car buyer, that’s the bracket they fit in in my mind. But as you say maybe that doesn’t recognise their size today.

The funny thing is Jaguar is always positioned in market research as a premium brand above the normal German marques. Sounds great but when you try and appeal to that market the perception is not positive.

It’s also never been able to afford to invest in cheap engine derivatives and has always struggled with that. Most Audi BMW cars are low engine shite but sell millions due to the brand. Jaguar never conquered Europe and has always lost money in the states. It’s sold ok in some Far East markets such as Korea but never has global appeal. It will sadly other than the sports car and the SUV be binned I think

Ian1779

They used an algorithm that actually knocked you down marks if your school wasn't a traditional high achiever so kids who qwhen to poorer schools but worked hard were being downgraded basically for where they lived.

The SNP and their devolved Scottish education dept. signed off on this so they need to be doing more than saying sorry.

This is what they were suggesting they would do in England when we went through the process of allocating grades. The trouble is that some schools will have done their own moderation to account for things like their predictions being massively inflated from historical performance, or out of sync based on prior attainment. Those schools will be further penalised for trying to do the process fairly with these factors in mind.

Also as you say, students are most disadvantaged by being either in deprived areas or like my school which is finally on an upward trajectory after a few years of underperformance.

Ian1779

This is what they were suggesting they would do in England when we went through the process of allocating grades. The trouble is that some schools will have done their own moderation to account for things like their predictions being massively inflated from historical performance, or out of sync based on prior attainment. Those schools will be further penalised for trying to do the process fairly with these factors in mind.

Also as you say, students are most disadvantaged by being either in deprived areas or like my school which is finally on an upward trajectory after a few years of underperformance.
In this unique circumstances - they could have reallocated both OFSTED/HMI and senior officials within Ofqual and the exam boards to scrutinise an individual centres submission and then awarded CAG when they were happy with that final submission.

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s exactly what will happen. The moderation applied clearly wasn’t fit for purpose, and I’m pretty certain that Ofqual would have done pretty much the same thing.

Carnage awaits.

New arrangements for September in my school have been leaked and they are already causing me tonnes of stress. If this way of working is the new normal I’ll find another job.

Brighton Sky Blue

I suppose the one difference is that English students will be able to resit in the autumn if they’re unhappy whereas the Scots are yet to confirm.

Brighton Sky Blue

Are you allowed to share on here?

Year groups in bubbles with staggered break and lunchtimes. They’ll be taught in a designated classroom for the day but practicals need to be pre booked and because of the need for deep cleaning they will likely have to be limited to a couple a day. It’s that which is really worrying me because pretty much every lesson I do has some kind of practical aspect.

Ian1779

Year groups in bubbles with staggered break and lunchtimes. They’ll be taught in a designated classroom for the day but practicals need to be pre booked and because of the need for deep cleaning they will likely have to be limited to a couple a day. It’s that which is really worrying me because pretty much every lesson I do has some kind of practical aspect.
Have they given you any direction on if you can or need to modify the practical aspect of your subject? (Science is it?)

Brighton Sky Blue

Have they given you any direction on if you can or need to modify the practical aspect of your subject? (Science is it?)

Not yet because the approach always seems to be to leak it out in parts. When I did it in June students had demarcated practical workspaces but that’s impossible for GCSE and below.

ovduk78

Our son goes back to school on thursday and we have his new timetable. He is in S4, he is 15 so it's his exam year, and he has all his subjects in 1 block per day, eg 4 biology & 2 maths on monday, 4 french & 2 english on tuesday etc and they lunch breaks are split in 2 for the whole school. I don't know how they are going to do it for the children in S1 & S2 who are too young to have made their choices and will be learning 10/12 different subjects. We are not convinced that the schools should be going back and worry this could lead to a spike in coronavirus and our son still thinks that break times will be a free for all and he will be playing football with his mates.

Ian1779

Not yet because the approach always seems to be to leak it out in parts. When I did it in June students had demarcated practical workspaces but that’s impossible for GCSE and below.
Has there been anything published in the Ofqual consultation that says they will make adjustments to next years examinations in regards to practical content?
If it can’t be done because of the new systems that the school are putting in place then something has to give. For example could you have a situation where you demonstrated all the practicals rather than them doing them? I don’t know enough about Science curriculum as to whether that is relevant or not.

In Maths they’ve made not a single adjustment at all. It’s going to have a hugely negative impact.

David O'Day

SNP completely backtracked and every person downgraded will have the non downgraded grade instead.

Is this a good thing as some of them would of genuinely been inflated grades and would have needed to be downgraded. Unis and employers will know this which could mean that the class of 2020 is devalued.

Ian1779

SNP completely backtracked and every person downgraded will have the non downgraded grade instead.

Is this a good thing as some of them would of genuinely been inflated grades and would have needed to be downgraded. Unis and employers will know this which could mean that the class of 2020 is devalued.
It will mean that every kid will now know exactly what their teacher predicted. Will create another can of worms - much smaller than this one of course.

shmmeee

Is this where we admit that exams are a pretty shitty judge of ability and move to something more sensible all round for teachers and students?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is this where we admit that exams are a pretty shitty judge of ability and move to something more sensible all round for teachers and students?

Don't mind them a bit as it can be a good relfection of ability to cope under pressure/time constraints, but really didn't agree with the removal of coursework, both individual and group, as that 's far closer to what actual working environments are like.

As I said at the time, get those MP's that voted for it to have to memorise everything they want put in a bill before being locked in a room for three hours with no ability to refer to anything and whatever they come out with after that time is whats put forward for voting. See if they thing that's a good way to work or a good reflection of what they're capable of.

Just a load of people who hark after 'classical' education and think it's what got them where they are (it's not most of the time - it's the contacts they made in the privileged environs of the school, not what they learned)

Ian1779

Don't mind them a bit as it can be a good relfection of ability to cope under pressure/time constraints, but really didn't agree with the removal of coursework, both individual and group, as that 's far closer to what actual working environments are like.

As I said at the time, get those MP's that voted for it to have to memorise everything they want put in a bill before being locked in a room for three hours with no ability to refer to anything and whatever they come out with after that time is whats put forward for voting. See if they thing that's a good way to work or a good reflection of what they're capable of.

Just a load of people who hark after 'classical' education and think it's what got them where they are (it's not most of the time - it's the contacts they made in the privileged environs of the school, not what they learned)
A combination of continual well moderated teacher assessment and examinations could be a good compromise.
I also feel that we should value and reward hard work and endeavour that is irrespective of academic ability. I’ve seen so many kids that work incredibly hard to achieve a Grade 1 or 2 because that’s all their intellect will allow them to achieve. Recognising in some kind of certification is important for self esteem.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A combination of continual well moderated teacher assessment and examinations could be a good compromise.
I also feel that we should value and reward hard work and endeavour that is irrespective of academic ability. I’ve seen so many kids that work incredibly hard to achieve a Grade 1 or 2 because that’s all their intellect will allow them to achieve. Recognising in some kind of certification is important for self esteem.

I agree about the reward for effort.

We used to have grades in years 7-9 that were like A1, C3 etc, where the letter represented the ability and the number represented the effort. So you could have the kid with health problems finishing near the bottom of PE but trying their best getting like a D1 whereas the natural athlete that just coasted round Xcountry but still won got an A3.

wingy

Williamson's offer is a Hobson's choice in reality.
The algorithms aren't fit for purpose.
How Interesting that this initiative was jet propelled into existence yesterday evening , as the Labour leader was going to focus attention here today .

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Outsmarted? Some of the people on this thread are hilarious.

Their business will almost certainly suffer from this woke virtue-signalling nonsense.

So just support c***ish behaviour because of the effect it'll have on your bottom line? If you had a problem with the Gillette ad is says more about you than them. If you don't partake in or accept the behaviour they're decrying in that ad you've got no problem with it because it's not calling you out.

Loads of businesses lost out from ending slavery and child labour. Virtue signalling twats.

TomRad85

Used to hit my wife... thank God the Gilette ad showed me the error of my ways. Absolute pile of shit. Some of you really do eat up this bollocks.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread