Do you want to discuss boring politics? (26 Viewers)

wingy

Piece on Beeb just now, people extending the repayment mortgages by ten to fifteen years,is that a a broker explaining the hardship people are feeling or someone attempting to open it up, trying to make it seem normal and expected to maintain a 40 yr term

CCFCSteve

Piece on Beeb just now, people extending the repayment mortgages by ten to fifteen years,is that a a broker explaining the hardship people are feeling or someone attempting to open it up, trying to make it seem normal and expected to maintain a 40 yr term

I suppose it’s better than the alternative which is repossessions. You’d hope that if unemployment stays relatively low so people don’t lose their jobs, as rates drop, terms can be reduced again. The 10 year, which a lot of mortgage companies use as barometer for rates is now around 3.75% after dropping significantly recently.

Unfortunately, as we all know,,there’s a massive housing shortage and as I’ve probably said a million times a combo of rapid population growth (migration and people living longer) and inadequate planning by successive governments has meant ever increasing house prices - they can only probably drop significantly if unemployment shoots up which nobody wants. At least one benefit is less chance of negative equity for homeowners…doesn’t help the poor kids trying to get on the ladder though

chiefdave

Saw a suggestion recently that even longer terms should be allowed and that it passes to your kids if you die before repaying it!

Suspect what will happen now is if and when rates drop they’ll allow people to borrow more over a longer term and we will have another problem to deal with down the line

SBT

Is Piers Morgan in a spot of bother now re: phone hacking? From what I can remember he’s consistently denied ever even knowing about it, including at least once while under oath.

Macca1987

Judge found in favour of Harry in 15 of his 33 counts, got awarded £100 odd grand, Judge lashed into Mirror, Sunday Mirror and the People and had a go at the top bods on each, said they would have known, that included Morgan

JAM See

Judge found in favour of Harry in 15 of his 33 counts, got awarded £100 odd grand, Judge lashed into Mirror, Sunday Mirror and the People and had a go at the top bods on each, said they would have known, that included Morgan
It's easy. The COVID inquiry has shown.
Just say, "I don't recall" over and over again.
Simples.

skybluetony176

The Mirror group has now accepted the judgment and responsibility for hacking.

I don’t think Harry’s lawyers are finished either, they’re going after everyone in turn. Think the Murdoch group is next and their evidence to the Leveson inquiry has already been called into question, especially from one of the sons, want to say James.

skybluetony176

It's easy. The COVID inquiry has shown.
Just say, "I don't recall" over and over again.
Simples.
Don’t think that will help them. It’s evidence they’ve already given under oath to the Leverson inquiry that now being called into question. If criminal proceedings are put to them in court they’ll have to prove they didn’t lie, they’re going to have to remember something to do that otherwise they’ll be doing an Andy Coulson. Even getting a job with the Tories couldn’t stop him going to prison.

shmmeee

The Mirror group has now accepted the judgment and responsibility for hacking.

I don’t think Harry’s lawyers are finished either, they’re going after everyone in turn. Think the Murdoch group is next and their evidence to the Leveson inquiry has already been called into question, especially from one of the sons, want to say James.

Never thought I’d be cheering Harry on but here we are.

chiefdave

Won’t someone spare a thought for Michelle Mone, the real victim in the PPE crisis. Not sure who advised her to do the media rounds playing the victim but I suspect that it was the same people who advised prince Andrew to do the same.
It was absolutely extraordinary wasn't it? Admitted she had lied for years denying she would benefit while also claiming she declared it but not to the right people but that's definitely not her fault. Her husband not being listed on any company documents but being the ultimate beneficiary presumably not his fault either.

It was all about how bad it's been for her and how we should feel sorry for her while she's living a life of luxury with our money.

Grendel

It was absolutely extraordinary wasn't it? Admitted she had lied for years denying she would benefit while also claiming she declared it but not to the right people but that's definitely not her fault. Her husband not being listed on any company documents but being the ultimate beneficiary presumably not his fault either.

It was all about how bad it's been for her and how we should feel sorry for her while she's living a life of luxury with our money.

It was a catastrophic interview and won’t help her in the ongoing investigations

Technically she’s correct that she hasn’t benefited but it’s likely she - and certainly her family - will in the future and it’s obvious she should have declared her interest

PVA

Hopefully only 5 months left of these wankers in charge. And hopefully not to return for a very long time.

skybluetony176

Hopefully only 5 months left of these wankers in charge. And hopefully not to return for a very long time.

May or October according to certain outlets that attended drinks at No.10 last night. He’s apparently ruled out Jan 2025 which is the latest he can call it. I’m not convinced he’ll make it past the end January 2024 and get to call a GE. Problem the Tories have if they get rid of him in the new year is getting 2 sensible candidates to a member’s vote. Are there any sensible Tories left? Sunak was probably the most sensible they can muster so it will end up being Suella vs someone like Cleverly or Hunt and the nutter membership who put Truss in number 10 will have no qualms putting in Braverman and I dare say she’ll want to wait until January 2025. Best hope for the country looks like Sunak holding on to the next GE and the sooner that GE comes the better for the country. Taxi for the Tories.

Users who are viewing this thread