Do you want to discuss boring politics? (26 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Sky Blue Pete

Can anyone explain to me how a family on the breadline being given £1200 in handout can pay an electricity and gas bill that increases by £2000

fernandopartridge

She’s like a chat bot whose entire training set is the Daily Express archive.
Currently the lack of any scrutiny from the 4th estate is helpful for Labour as for whatever reason the media isn't trying to translate what's being said into something even vaguely reasonable. Sunak's response is to follow her lead.

Annoyingly my local Tory MP knocked my door not long before I got back yesterday. He would have got a piece of my mind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

Lib Dems on -11% according to the Mail

View attachment 25930
YouGove, IGove,WeGove

giphy.gif

SBbucks

Honesty I don’t think he’d have done much better. The Tories hasn’t been in power for 18 years and seemed a lot more moderate. Also things like the banana pic suggest he’d have had a few gaffes of his own, plus all the same “scary Marxist dad” attacks obviously.

I’ve seen nothing from David in either policy or personality terms to back up the idea he was some kind of electoral messiah. Though TBF I joined during Millibands leadership and David pretty much vanished once he lose.

I think between the SNP, Cameron, the need for change, and the looming Brexit vote promise, 2015 was a much harder election for Labour than is often recognised

I’m not sure where you get “The Tories hasn’t been in power for 18 years” from. The Tories had already been in power for 5 years when Milliband lost the 2015 election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I’m not sure where you get “The Tories hasn’t been in power for 18 years” from. The Tories had already been in power for 5 years when Milliband lost the 2015 election.

Not on their own. So they couldn’t be full blown mental Tories like we have now.

SBbucks

Not on their own. So they couldn’t be full blown mental Tories like we have now.

You think the Liberals had much say? The flagship Liberal policy (removing Uni tuition fees) was abandoned almost immediately and their impact was minimal other than propping up Cameron & Osborne. It was a Tory government.

Brighton Sky Blue

You think the Liberals had much say? The flagship Liberal policy (removing Uni tuition fees) was abandoned almost immediately and their impact was minimal other than propping up Cameron & Osborne. It was a Tory government.

Don’t forget the AV referendum

shmmeee

Yes. Or more specifically the electorate.

fernandopartridge

Oh come on, the 2010-15 government slashed departmental budgets in a proper Tory way. I'm sure you've seen that ridiculous comment from Polly McKenzie which implied that the Lib Dems voted for such austerity in exchange for carrier bag charges.

SBbucks

Oh come on, the 2010-15 government slashed departmental budgets in a proper Tory way. I'm sure you've seen that ridiculous comment from Polly McKenzie which implied that the Lib Dems voted for such austerity in exchange for carrier bag charges.

Agreed, it was a proper Tory government, with all the associated damage caused to the country. The Liberals did not lessen the effect at all and were largely ignored (and subsequently scapegoated).
Back onto the original point, the primary reason Labour lost was that while their policies were popular the country did not see EM as a prime minister. The Tories were very unpopular at the time due to the austerity measures, but as many polls at the time showed, Cameron was seen as prime minister material and EM clearly was not. We will never know if David M would have won or not had he been leader, but it would certainly have been much closer and likely would have resulted in a hung parliament, probably with Labour with most seats. All parties were planning for a hung parliament right up to the exit polls. Read Campbell volume 8 for detailed background.

Ian1779

Agreed, it was a proper Tory government, with all the associated damage caused to the country. The Liberals did not lessen the effect at all and were largely ignored (and subsequently scapegoated).
Back onto the original point, the primary reason Labour lost was that while their policies were popular the country did not see EM as a prime minister. The Tories were very unpopular at the time due to the austerity measures, but as many polls at the time showed, Cameron was seen as prime minister material and EM clearly was not. We will never know if David M would have won or not had he been leader, but it would certainly have been much closer and likely would have resulted in a hung parliament, probably with Labour with most seats. All parties were planning for a hung parliament right up to the exit polls. Read Campbell volume 8 for detailed background.

Their policy offer lacked depth though - couple that with their obliteration in Scotland post IndyRef and you have the perfect storm of poor planning and ideas.
It’s a microcosm of what Starmer has appeared to try and do so far which is why it is so frustrating. His recent announcement on energy is welcome but we need more than a 2015 re-hash.

Sky Blue Pete

Their policy offer lacked depth though - couple that with their obliteration in Scotland post IndyRef and you have the perfect storm of poor planning and ideas.
It’s a microcosm of what Starmer has appeared to try and do so far which is why it is so frustrating. His recent announcement on energy is welcome but we need more than a 2015 re-hash.
We need a powerful argument of redistribution and policies that make this a reality

skybluetony176

Tory MP’s getting upset on twitter because people keep pointing out that sewerage being deliberately discharged into rivers and seas is a direct result of them voting to allow water companies to deliberately discharge sewage directly into them last October. Labour wanted to put an amendment into the bill but were accused of playing politics

8615C3F2-3863-495D-A95D-A522C5093D61.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread