Do you want to discuss boring politics? (37 Viewers)

shmmeee

Ed Miliband looks a bit funny eating a bacon sandwich - unelectable.
Cameron eats a hot dog with a knife and fork - perfectly normal.

TBF to him Ed was up against probably the best opposition any Labour leader has faced since Thatcher, freshly detoxified from coalition with the Lib Dems. Shit like the EdStone and “hell yes I’m tuss enuss” didn’t help, but I don’t doubt it would have been a lot closer against May or Johnson.

jimmyhillsfanclub

TBF to him Ed was up against probably the best opposition any Labour leader has faced since Thatcher, freshly detoxified from coalition with the Lib Dems. Shit like the EdStone and “hell yes I’m tuss enuss” didn’t help, but I don’t doubt it would have been a lot closer against May or Johnson.

There was also a fair chunk of the population (press) that believed he wasn't even the best Milliband...

Brighton Sky Blue

Well that and sacrificing 40 Scottish seats on the alter of the indyref the year before which then allowed the Tories to pick up a lot of the Lib Dem seats on the back of SNP scaremongering. Cameron was I think genuinely surprised by the result.

One will always wonder how the other Miliband would have fared

shmmeee

Well that and sacrificing 40 Scottish seats on the alter of the indyref the year before which then allowed the Tories to pick up a lot of the Lib Dem seats on the back of SNP scaremongering. Cameron was I think genuinely surprised by the result.

One will always wonder how the other Miliband would have fared

Honesty I don’t think he’d have done much better. The Tories hasn’t been in power for 18 years and seemed a lot more moderate. Also things like the banana pic suggest he’d have had a few gaffes of his own, plus all the same “scary Marxist dad” attacks obviously.

I’ve seen nothing from David in either policy or personality terms to back up the idea he was some kind of electoral messiah. Though TBF I joined during Millibands leadership and David pretty much vanished once he lose.

I think between the SNP, Cameron, the need for change, and the looming Brexit vote promise, 2015 was a much harder election for Labour than is often recognised

Brighton Sky Blue

Honesty I don’t think he’d have done much better. The Tories hasn’t been in power for 18 years and seemed a lot more moderate. Also things like the banana pic suggest he’d have had a few gaffes of his own, plus all the same “scary Marxist dad” attacks obviously.

I’ve seen nothing from David in either policy or personality terms to back up the idea he was some kind of electoral messiah. Though TBF I joined during Millibands leadership and David pretty much vanished once he lose.

I think between the SNP, Cameron, the need for change, and the looming Brexit vote promise, 2015 was a much harder election for Labour than is often recognised

Perhaps, but he just came over like Pitt the Younger from Blackadder getting bullied by pretty much anyone. In the debates the audience just seemed to feel sorry for him. Against someone who was probably in charge of the Eton toast racks it just looked embarrassing.

fernandopartridge

I don't think Cameron was particularly popular, I can't remember now how much was made of the Tory manifesto commitment to the EU referendum

fernandopartridge

Perhaps, but he just came over like Pitt the Younger from Blackadder getting bullied by pretty much anyone. In the debates the audience just seemed to feel sorry for him. Against someone who was probably in charge of the Eton toast racks it just looked embarrassing.

His delivery isn't good and you're right, he sounds exactly like Pitt the Younger. What he says is generally OK though imo.

shmmeee

I don't think Cameron was particularly popular, I can't remember now how much was made of the Tory manifesto commitment to the EU referendum

It was the start of coalescing the right around Brexit so meant a more unified party. Before they won and realised it was all bollocks.

I think the general position was the coalition was “OK” and Labour had only been out of power for five minutes. I’m not sure anyone expected the LDs to collapse quite like they did either. But generally I don’t think the country was in the mood for a Labour govt.

shmmeee

Yeah generally he was pretty awful and looked a lot better after he resigned. I’m not saying Milliband was great, just that I think he was up against a better electoral machine than Corbyn was or Starmer will be

Liquid Gold

Yeah generally he was pretty awful and looked a lot better after he resigned. I’m not saying Milliband was great, just that I think he was up against a better electoral machine than Corbyn was or Starmer will be
I also think Miliband suffered from his advisors trying to make him into something he wasn't in the same way they did Brown.

Instead of focusing on their qualities they tried to push characteristics that were deemed as popular but they both came over looking insincere and that is a right turn off.

It's no coincidence they both look better without that media management.

shmmeee

I also think Miliband suffered from his advisors trying to make him into something he wasn't in the same way they did Brown.

Instead of focusing on their qualities they tried to push characteristics that were deemed as popular but they both came over looking insincere and that is a right turn off.

I think the self appointed adults in the party weren’t capable of moving past Blair or seeing the shift away from liberalism happening post GFC.

NorthernWisdom

Still the same

Users who are viewing this thread