Do you want to discuss boring politics? (16 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

He’s is the product of a political cataclysm that ended in one of the two major political parties trying to circumvent a democratic decision of the people.

The whole political circus went into disrepute the minute the People’s Vote campaign got going.

We’re now all stuck with the shitshow.
This is absolute nonsense. Nobody tried to circumvent a deocratic decision. In fact, offering up a vote on every decision made at every point would be true democracy. It was as much that the Leader of the Opposition was a) perceived as an IRA and terrorist sympathiser, so lost a huge number of floating votes, and b) caught himself between wanting to leave the EU in actuality, and his party's preferred policy so came across as vague, insincere and bumbling (indeed, a magnified version of his main performances) c) said policy going more hardcore because they saw the Lib Dems polling well on their commitments to work out a deal to stay in the EU, so wanted a piece of that, therefore making their ownposition appear muddled and insincere, while also taking votes of the Lib Dems to neither party's advantage d) the opposition parties were unable to co-ordinate a policy through parliament due to them detesting the Leader of the Opposition, and said Leader being unwilling to compromise in any way to work out a deal with other parties, and e) a total lack of co-ordination across electoral seats, which saw opportunities lost and losses magnified.

Johnson did indeed offer an end to stalemate, and in that he has delivered as promised. Still, Starmer is committing to keeping the current deal, so that ought to please everybody.

Grendel

This is absolute nonsense. Nobody tried to circumvent a deocratic decision. In fact, offering up a vote on every decision made at every point would be true democracy. It was as much that the Leader of the Opposition was a) perceived as an IRA and terrorist sympathiser, so lost a huge number of floating votes, and b) caught himself between wanting to leave the EU in actuality, and his party's preferred policy so came across as vague, insincere and bumbling (indeed, a magnified version of his main performances) c) said policy going more hardcore because they saw the Lib Dems polling well on their commitments to work out a deal to stay in the EU, so wanted a piece of that, therefore making their ownposition appear muddled and insincere, while also taking votes of the Lib Dems to neither party's advantage d) the opposition parties were unable to co-ordinate a policy through parliament due to them detesting the Leader of the Opposition, and said Leader being unwilling to compromise in any way to work out a deal with other parties, and e) a total lack of co-ordination across electoral seats, which saw opportunities lost and losses magnified.

Johnson did indeed offer an end to stalemate, and in that he has delivered as promised. Still, Starmer is committing to keeping the current deal, so that ought to please everybody.

Starmer is a europhile he will fudge the single market issue near election time if he hasn’t been booted out before then

shmmeee

Starmer is a europhile he will fudge the single market issue near election time if he hasn’t been booted out before then

Problem with this position is if you only accept Brexiters it condemns us to poor quality leaders forever more. We’ve seen first hand in the Tory party that that level of ideological purity does to a cohort of politicians.

Grendel

Problem with this position is if you only accept Brexiters it condemns us to poor quality leaders forever more. We’ve seen first hand in the Tory party that that level of ideological purity does to a cohort of politicians.

ironic given the previous leader and shadow chancellor were the biggest Brexiters of anyone and certainly meant it far more than Johnson

• Haha
Reactions: PVA

skybluetony176

Boris is a europhile who pretended to be a brexiteer and then made such a hash of it you can only assume it’s deliberate so at some point we join again.

shmmeee

ironic given the previous leader and shadow chancellor were the biggest Brexiters of anyone and certainly meant it far more than Johnson

And you thought they were high quality?

The same issue can be seen on the left where the majority of the talent was sat on the backbenches because they weren’t pure enough.

Grendel

And you thought they were high quality?

The same issue can be seen on the left where the majority of the talent was sat on the backbenches because they weren’t pure enough.

Well I thought McDonnell was

Ian1779

Respectfully I disagree.

Whilst the more politically astute would indeed agree with your points, the majority of people saw a simple binary choice - between a party ready to ‘do’ Brexit and a party ready to ‘stop’ Brexit.

A message our media was more than happy to share far and wide.

shmmeee

Well I thought McDonnell was

McDonnell is the closest the SCG has to quality and even he pulled the red book trick which backfired spectacularly and is best known for supporting the IRA and wishing Thatcher dead. And I like the guy generally. But you can’t claim an abundance of talent when Richard fucking Burgon makes the front bench.

We have two broad church parties, you can’t demand ideological purity on either side without letting the loonies run the asylum.

Grendel

Why is PVA laughing at this is it untrue?

• Haha

Grendel

McDonnell is the closest the SCG has to quality and even he pulled the red book trick which backfired spectacularly and is best known for supporting the IRA and wishing Thatcher dead. And I like the guy generally. But you can’t claim an abundance of talent when Richard fucking Burgon makes the front bench.

We have two broad church parties, you can’t demand ideological purity on either side without letting the loonies run the asylum.

It’s just ridiculous though isn’t it?

Honestly in some respects I don’t mind Rayner either. At least she’s a conviction politician and has something about her and is growing into her role.

The funny thing is it’s the tories that have been diluted. Johnson is just a lazy liberal really. I can’t think of anybody left in the Tory party that’s truly Tory - Raab perhaps

it’s a bit of a sad day in uk politics when we have Starmer as the voice of the left - he’s right midfield I must admit I’d rather lose an election to Rayner and McDonnell at least it’s an agenda - not one I remotely support but it would get politics back on track. Now its Starmer with a bit of Ed Davy thrown in

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s just ridiculous though isn’t it?

Honestly in some respects I don’t mind Rayner either. At least she’s a conviction politician and has something about her and is growing into her role.

The funny thing is it’s the tories that have been diluted. Johnson is just a lazy liberal really. I can’t think of anybody left in the Tory party that’s truly Tory - Raab perhaps

it’s a bit of a sad day in uk politics when we have Starmer as the voice of the left - he’s right midfield I must admit I’d rather lose an election to Rayner and McDonnell at least it’s an agenda - not one I remotely support but it would get politics back on track. Now its Starmer with a bit of Ed Davy thrown in

Indeed, I have had Tory friends complaining that Johnson isn’t right wing enough. Patel is surely enough of an immigrant hating bully to satisfy them though?

skybluetony176

Even if you put the sexual harassment aside you have to remember that this is a guy who got the whips job as part of the shake up to address the party culture within the party

stupot07

Even if you put the sexual harassment aside you have to remember that this is a guy who got the whips job as part of the shake up to address the party culture within the party

Why have they even got a (subsidised) bar/pub in their work place? I'd face disciplinary action if I popped to the pub for a couple of pints at lunch time and then came back tipsy in the afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PVA

So we'd go from a corrupt habitual liar as PM to a bloke who thinks the police don't investigate historical crimes. Great.

To be fair though he would be far better than the incumbent.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Why have they even got a (subsidised) bar/pub in their work place? I'd face disciplinary action if I popped to the pub for a couple of pints at lunch time and then came back tipsy in the afternoon.

Apparently a lot of parliament business is done in the bars is the standard justification. Off course they could always be dry bars if only during the standard working day, no alcohol to be served until after 7pm for example.

Brighton Sky Blue

Fabricant is unhinged.

Northern Tory MPs:

giphy.gif

duffer

It's quite remarkable that these people can shout about Starmer not prosecuting Jimmy Savile and then on live television literally defend a sex offender because he's in their party. This fucking country

So he committed 'inappropriate behaviour' but wasn't "guilty" of it. Presumably his hands just do their own thing without any conscious control. (I have this exact same problem when I'm trying to hit a ball with a cricket bat, in all fairness).

The only reason he's not on the sex offenders list is because no one has taken their complaint to the police, thus far at least. I fancy someone who wasn't a rich, Tory MP, might find themselves in a more awkward position.

Ian1779

There something like 30 bars in the place.

Brighton Sky Blue

This article is a few months old but the person who wrote it has confirmed that Pincher is the man accused.

What a lovely chap.

Can we just skip to the part where the argument is ‘nobody cares about the attempted sexual assault’?

wingy

Pretty extraordinary if that article is accurate and I haven't misunderstood it Incidents dating back to 2002 and 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread