Do you want to discuss boring politics? (13 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Nicer for me perhaps, but if I'm helping my kids out it's not really an issue.
Well, it is because your kids would be able to afford the house and you'd have more money which could spend on them in other ways if you so chose. Ultimately you and your kids end up with less overall.

Grendel

Well, it is because your kids would be able to afford the house and you'd have more money which could spend on them in other ways if you so chose. Ultimately you and your kids end up with less overall.
So you actually now think people should have more money and not less?

dutchman

The very fact that they were living at home rent free is help. Especially as they wouldn’t have had other expenditures such as energy bills, council tax, water rates and food bills. Many young people don’t have that luxury as well as paying private landlord rent on top of that. They may also not have the luxury of living with their parents for a number of reasons such as moved away for work or simply from a disfunctional family where there isn’t the security of a family home. Not sure how people like this are supposed to save a deposit to get on the ladder.
I remember when young people living at home were expected to pay 'board & lodging' which was often almost as much as they could earn.

I'm not talking a million years ago either but 1980s.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Perhaps I should have bought her a used car or vouchers for T K Max instead of money down on a house.
What you say makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

chiefdave

The housing issue is just simple supply and demand isn't it? The population is increasing and more people live. Yet social housing has been sold off and not replaced and the rate of building is appallingly slow while developers sit on huge banks of land. Then you have to add in the huge explosion in university attendance which has seen whole areas become house after house that's occupied by students.

Plus things like this

Also the issue of what type of housing is available. Where I live, in Finham, there's a huge number of 2 and 3 bedroom properties occupied by 1 person. My Mum for example will consider moving to a flat but doesn't want to leave the area so its a non starter and she will spend the next few years the sole occupant of a large house. Was the same when I moved here, I don't really need a house, a flat would do me fine, but there's only a handful and of course they are mostly rentals.

skybluetony176

I remember when young people living at home were expected to pay 'board & lodging' which was often almost as much as they could earn.

I'm not talking a million years ago either but 1980s.
I left school in 89, got £27.50 a week YTS and paid my mum £15 of that for board and lodgings. Same for all my mates. Some may have been paying as little as £10 but they all paid something.

jimmyhillsfanclub

The housing issue is just simple supply and demand isn't it? The population is increasing and more people live. Yet social housing has been sold off and not replaced and the rate of building is appallingly slow while developers sit on huge banks of land. Then you have to add in the huge explosion in university attendance which has seen whole areas become house after house that's occupied by students.

Plus things like this

Also the issue of what type of housing is available. Where I live, in Finham, there's a huge number of 2 and 3 bedroom properties occupied by 1 person. My Mum for example will consider moving to a flat but doesn't want to leave the area so its a non starter and she will spend the next few years the sole occupant of a large house. Was the same when I moved here, I don't really need a house, a flat would do me fine, but there's only a handful and of course they are mostly rentals.

The whole market is broken..... Also add in the fact that there something like 650,000 empty houses in England alone......mental

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Perhaps I should have bought her a used car or vouchers for T K Max instead of money down on a house.
What you say makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
It's not that difficult.

If we didn't have such a shit system whereby housing is massively overpriced because far too much of it is being used as a means for financial gain rather than as places for people to live, then maybe they'd be able to afford the deposit without your help. In which case the money you're currently having to use for that you could give to them in other ways.

Grendel

It's not that difficult.

If we didn't have such a shit system whereby housing is massively overpriced because far too much of it is being used as a means for financial gain rather than as places for people to live, then maybe they'd be able to afford the deposit without your help. In which case the money you're currently having to use for that you could give to them in other ways.

It’s rubbish though in this example as property grows more then any other investment so the house in 30 years will be much higher in value and that’s a good thing if you own property

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I wonder why
Because I think about the bigger picture, have compassion for others, realise that there are many different reasons for people to be in their situations and not everyone has the same goal of making loads of money yet constantly get dictated to in policy by those that are.

Grendel

Because I think about the bigger picture, have compassion for others, realise that there are many different reasons for people to be in their situations and not everyone has the same goal of making loads of money yet constantly get dictated to in policy by those that are.

Or you are jealous

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s rubbish though in this example as property grows more then any other investment so the house in 30 years will be much higher in value and that’s a good thing if you own property
Have you at any point thought of the reasons why it grows more? Or whether that's a good situation?

It's a good thing if you own property, but that's becoming a smaller and smaller section of society and increasingly benefitting a smaller number of people hugely disproportionately. Property is no longer about having a place to live, it's about having an investment. This isn't a good thing.

Grendel

Have you at any point thought of the reasons why it grows more? Or whether that's a good situation?

It's a good thing if you own property, but that's becoming a smaller and smaller section of society and increasingly benefitting a smaller number of people hugely disproportionately. Property is no longer about having a place to live, it's about having an investment. This isn't a good thing.

It’s good for me

David O'Day

I left school in 89, got £27.50 a week YTS and paid my mum £15 of that for board and lodgings. Same for all my mates. Some may have been paying as little as £10 but they all paid something.
I am later but a gave my mum half half my 5p something part time wages in 1997.

Own her house now and no it was never a council house

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PVA

They're just all so fucking useless.

It's no wonder they have no policies when they struggle with the most basic day to day details.

skybluetony176

David O'Day

The US supreme court is doing everything it can to seemingly prop up the Democrats in November. Today's ruling is another in a line of rulings that going against everything the vast majority of Americans support.

An example is Warnock is 10 points ahead in a senate race in Georgia that the Republicans should be looking to win back.

shmmeee

So what should I have done instead ? The answer is absolutely nothing. You'd have done the same as me.

It’s not about you, people act in their own interest generally. It’s governments job to create policy that makes sure that doesn’t cause systemic harm or disadvantage others unfairly. Same as I don’t blame Amazon for not paying tax, I blame the people who made the rules so they could.

Terry Gibson's perm

I paid board after a couple of years at work and my parents put it all in the bank and when I bought my first house they gave it me all back to spend on it, it was a nice surprise

Users who are viewing this thread