Do you want to discuss boring politics? (14 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

No it’s referencing even Major managed A general election majority against that background. Neil Kinnock was a pretty good Labour leader who did balance the Union demands and recognised aspirations as well. His shadow cabinet especially Hattersley was strong.

A year later after major’s two defeats in a week he still lost. Starmer is pathetic he has nothing. The irony of course is if Corbyn hadn’t allowed Starmer his stupid Brexit fudge - which led to the election catastrophe- and admitted he wanted a hard Brexit and uk Job protectionism- he may have won why he caved in to Starmer and even allowed him in the shadow cabinet ive no idea

Well aside from the twaddle about unions being anti-aspiration I completely agree. Corbyn we all knew was pro Brexit but got caught in the focus group trap, tried to please everyone and ended up angering them instead.

I did go around several picket lines yesterday-no Labour MPs to be seen presumably following Starmer's orders

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No why should they?
Grendel said:
It’s nothing to do with trains it’s a domino impact where industries will all demand the wage rises if these get their way - as we saw in the 70’s - unions smelled blood - nurses teachers then private sector unions will go for huge pay demands and the tax payer in the end would pick up the tab

It was your argument. If others get big pays rises they'll ask for it too.

skybluetony176

No it’s referencing even Major managed A general election majority against that background. Neil Kinnock was a pretty good Labour leader who did balance the Union demands and recognised aspirations as well. His shadow cabinet especially Hattersley was strong.

A year later after major’s two defeats in a week he still lost. Starmer is pathetic he has nothing. The irony of course is if Corbyn hadn’t allowed Starmer his stupid Brexit fudge - which led to the election catastrophe- and admitted he wanted a hard Brexit and uk Job protectionism- he may have won why he caved in to Starmer and even allowed him in the shadow cabinet ive no idea
But Major won more votes against that background than Boris won on a wave of populism. So you must be having a dig at Boris.

Brighton Sky Blue

Which is why Labour and others are trying to stick all this shit on the Tories as a party rather than Johnson specifically. Hopefully it works.

Yet offering no solutions to the country's problems in the process, or at least if they are not being anywhere near vocal enough. I mean you still have some people here saying that Sneer played a blinder in not commenting on the strike action despite it being on the mind of basically every working person.

No conviction, no charisma, no empathy for working people.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I mean really Blair was a snake whose only interest was Blair

the Lib Dems would sleep with Stalin if they had a seat at the top table. They are a slimy bunch of opportunists with not one ounce of principal
Again, the top quote works just as well for Boris, why slimy opportunists without principal works for his party.

Grendel

To give themselves more money.

That's not the same thing as bettering yourself.

The word you were looking for is enrich.

no it’s bettering yourself - having a holiday home is better than not having one and you need money - having a shed load you can give your children is a thing everyone should strive for

Brighton Sky Blue

no it’s bettering yourself - having a holiday home is better than not having one and you need money - having a shed load you can give your children is a thing everyone should strive for

You would I am sure agree that buying a house now is far harder than it was for ADM when he got the opportunity.

Grendel

You would I am sure agree that buying a house now is far harder than it was for ADM when he got the opportunity.

That wasn’t the argument and if you save while living at home for a while it’s manageable - my oldest daughter now has £50 grand of savings accumulated from living with us for 5 years

David O'Day

View attachment 25075
So just by using these figures alone - it would take all Labour & LD voters plus at least 20% of that Tory vote to defect to keep it in the next GE.
Yes and the tories are less likely to vote labour so the anti tory vote should go to the LD's

James Johnson's polling of Tiverton voters shouldn't many won't go back to the tories while Johnson is in charge.

It's a great result for Labour as it shows they don't have to beat the tories on their own

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yep that works well doesn't it. We never get entitled, clueless rich kids being given everything on a plate and thinking they're above everyone else because they've got loads of stuff.

Aspiring to make sure your kids can have roof over their head, food in their belly is something to strive for. Giving them the means to have a massive influence regardless of whether they have the abilities or intelligence for it isn't. Because the latter are now making it harder and harder for the former to happen.

Brighton Sky Blue

none what parent does that - always find that odd to be honest

Well I paid my dad £350 a month for the time I lived with him while retraining. Not every child has a parent willing to put them up for nothing for years on end and so it's no wonder your daughter could accumulate that much in a 5 year period.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

none what parent does that - always find that odd to be honest
I got charged rent to live at home after I got a job. Way less than it would have cost me to rent on the market though so still a good deal.

I thought you wanted kids to be given a dose of realism and what life is really like rather than being cossetted from it?

Grendel

Yep that works well doesn't it. We never get entitled, clueless rich kids being given everything on a plate and thinking they're above everyone else because they've got loads of stuff.

Aspiring to make sure your kids can have roof over their head, food in their belly is something to strive for. Giving them the means to have a massive influence regardless of whether they have the abilities or intelligence for it isn't. Because the latter are now making it harder and harder for the former to happen.

Why would I want to give a single penny more than I have to through taxation to some dog poor parasites who be bothered to improve their own lives

Family first

Grendel

Well I paid my dad £350 a month for the time I lived with him while retraining. Not every child has a parent willing to put them up for nothing for years on end and so it's no wonder your daughter could accumulate that much in a 5 year period.

Each to their own but I can’t understand that

Grendel

I got charged rent to live at home after I got a job. Way less than it would have cost me to rent on the market though so still a good deal.

I thought you wanted kids to be given a dose of realism and what life is really like rather than being cossetted from it?

just can’t see why I’d profit off my Iwn children - weird but that’s just my view

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Why would I want to give a single penny more than I have to through taxation to some dog poor parasites who be bothered to improve their own lives

Family first
Well that's clear them isn't it.

No nuance. No thought that sometimes situations can change out of the blue that really affects someone's ability to change their life. Never happens that someone becomes ill and unable to work, or a parent dies leaving the other with a huge amount of cost and responsibility.

Fact is you've been fortunate to not have had the rug pulled from under your feet at any point. What if you'd had a stroke that left you paralysed and unable to work when your kids were just a few years old? Or had a heart attack and died suddenly? Would you daughter have been able to get £50k together then?

For someone who goes on about other people being naive and clueless you seen to do a very very good of it yourself.

Brighton Sky Blue

Each to their own but I can’t understand that

Well for more contrast, yes I went to the same school as your kids but I suspect unlike them, contributed to my fees through part time work. He gave me the choice of continuing to go to a private school if I paid towards the fees, or he would pay me a similar amount each week to go to a local comp. I chose the private school.

Then in later years lived with my dad who asked for rent which I felt was reasonable considering all he'd paid on my behalf up to that point. I was glad to do it to be honest.

In general most young people can't count on years of rent free living to save up a deposit.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Lib Dems tried to take this down before it could be spotted, but be under no illusions about whose side they're really on

1656278514544.png

Grendel

Well that's clear them isn't it.

No nuance. No thought that sometimes situations can change out of the blue that really affects someone's ability to change their life. Never happens that someone becomes ill and unable to work, or a parent dies leaving the other with a huge amount of cost and responsibility.

Fact is you've been fortunate to not have had the rug pulled from under your feet at any point. What if you'd had a stroke that left you paralysed and unable to work when your kids were just a few years old? Or had a heart attack and died suddenly? Would you daughter have been able to get £50k together then?

For someone who goes on about other people being naive and clueless you seen to do a very very good of it yourself.

I honestly don’t see your point. My father died when I was 15 rug pulled then I think

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

just can’t see why I’d profit off my Iwn children - weird but that’s just my view
It wasn't profiting. I come from a single parent family and with a single income she spent years spending every penny just keeping our heads above water, along with the added responsibility of looking after two kids. She worked damn harder than most under incredible pressure so don't give me some bullshit about not being bothered to improve their own lives. When I went to work it was only right I pay towards my upkeep, and even then I got it below cost. I really should have paid more.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Frankly if we could somehow put to the U.K. you as the voice of the Labour Party it would really be the end wouldn’t it - how’s the Marstons pub that you buy supplies from the guy with the nasty podcast going? He’s banned from Twitter now I see.

I actually also find it very curious you used David O Day as your name. It’s clearly a made up name but who is he? I am genuinely curious.
He managed to make an anagram out of Martin McGuiness.

Tommo1993

It’s the closest to relevant threads I can find. Have left DHL, with quite a lot of funds in their pension scheme. I have no idea how to transfer my pension. I have a Legal & General account, is it just best to move it to that? Have done a little bit of research but I’m no clearer.

skybluetony176

Well for more contrast, yes I went to the same school as your kids but I suspect unlike them, contributed to my fees through part time work. He gave me the choice of continuing to go to a private school if I paid towards the fees, or he would pay me a similar amount each week to go to a local comp. I chose the private school.

Then in later years lived with my dad who asked for rent which I felt was reasonable considering all he'd paid on my behalf up to that point. I was glad to do it to be honest.

In general most young people can't count on years of rent free living to save up a deposit.
I always paid my mum rent when I lived at home, I was earning good money, single parent home, so my mum appreciated it even though she was working full time, got all my meals, all my washing done, it was cheap living and enabled me to save for a deposit on my first house while still having a good lifestyle. I also did things like pay for repairs, replace white goods etc. my mum never asked, I just did it because I could. It taught me some valuable lessons about the cost of living also so I was well placed to manage my finances when I did leave home. I also think this was pretty typical for my generation, can’t think of a single mate who didn’t do the same while living at home once working.

fernandopartridge

It’s the closest to relevant threads I can find. Have left DHL, with quite a lot of funds in their pension scheme. I have no idea how to transfer my pension. I have a Legal & General account, is it just best to move it to that? Have done a little bit of research but I’m no clearer.

I'd seek some professional financial advice on it if I were you

Users who are viewing this thread