Do you want to discuss boring politics? (16 Viewers)

Grendel

I will if you have a way to pay for my two children’s university housing. It’s a business that takes a lot of work rather than a second home.

He’s not being honest he’s belittling people he believes are only struggling because they don’t work hard enough and that’s bollox

Oddly most can’t just buy another house to pay for university for your children

Why do you think you are above those who can’t buy Another house

the hypocrisy is staggering

Brighton Sky Blue

I will if you have a way to pay for my two children’s university housing. It’s a business that takes a lot of work rather than a second home.

He’s not being honest he’s belittling people he believes are only struggling because they don’t work hard enough and that’s bollox

Not being funny but if you just sold the property wouldn't that give you the money without the work?

NorthernWisdom

Some people are a 'bit thick', for want of a better term.
They can't study and retrain and better themselves.
But anyone who puts in full working week, week in and week out, year in, year out should be able to afford a certain standard of living which means their rent/mortgage, heating, food and a bit spare.

At the moment they can't and that's scandalous.
It's also worth saying that at different times, different skills are appreciated more. Back in the 17th century, the degree to have was a literature degree - medicine was seen as a lower class degree compared to it really. Ditto when I did mine, IT and business studies were for the relative thickos.

And, of course, because plumbers and mechanics were devalued not so long ago, now there's a shortage so they provide a decent income if you are one.

Swings and roundabouts - if your skills happen to fall into something that pays well then great, if you happen to be skilled at something nobody values money-wise, that can be bad luck as much as anything else.

It's difficult to say without being crass and snobby (and I appreciate it's easier said than done), but a street cleaner has a more immediate material effect on my quality of life than a hedge fund manager. I've got no problem with anybody being rewarded if they work hard, but that should apply across the board really, and not just in whatever suits at the time.

Grendel

It's also worth saying that at different times, different skills are appreciated more. Back in the 17th century, the degree to have was a literature degree - medicine was seen as a lower class degree compared to it really. Ditto when I did mine, IT and business studies were for the relative thickos.

And, of course, because plumbers and mechanics were devalued not so long ago, now there's a shortage so they provide a decent income if you are one.

Swings and roundabouts - if your skills happen to fall into something that pays well then great, if you happen to be skilled at something nobody values money-wise, that can be bad luck as much as anything else.

It's difficult to say without being crass and snobby (and I appreciate it's easier said than done), but a street cleaner has a more immediate material effect on my quality of life than a hedge fund manager. I've got no problem with anybody being rewarded if they work hard, but that should apply across the board really, and not just in whatever suits at the time.

i think a surgeon could clean a street I wouldn’t want a street cleaner remaining my appendix

skybluetony176

Sounds like Raab’s baby is falling apart at the seams. The bill he’s drafted to erase human rights is apparently so full of holes it isn’t worth the paper it’s written on and so badly drafted it’s just going to get pulled apart in the houses while debated. Good old Raab.

David O'Day

Sounds like Raab’s baby is falling apart at the seams. The bill he’s drafted to erase human rights is apparently so full of holes it isn’t worth the paper it’s written on and so badly drafted it’s just going to get pulled apart in the houses while debated. Good old Raab.

the new Chris Grayling

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You and your like being whom ? I bought a council flat in South London. in the mid 1980s under the RTB scheme . I didn't have to do it . I wanted to better myself. Five years later I sold it and bought a 3 bed semi in Ernesford Grange in cash from the proceeds. Mortgage free by the time I was 27. I've been able to help my own kids buy homes for themselves they'd never been able to afford otherwise, because I know how bloody difficult it is.
It's not all about me, me, me. I was fortunate the opportunity came my way but I had the motivation to take it and make what I could of it. Others wouldn't have bothered. When I'm dead and gone it'll be worth something to my kids and grandkids.
But it is pretty selfish ultimately, because it's only your offspring you're bothered about. If it gives your kids more but other kids end up suffering because of it, so be it. You got what YOU wanted.

I'm fine with people wanting to protect their kids and family - it's one of the most basic traits ingrained in us and many other species. A roof over their heads, food in their belly and being happy.

But at the same time I acknowledge that every single other person wants that too. I know there will be people who find this hard to fathom, but when I think of other people even though I don't know them I put myself into the position of if I did - if they were my nan, brother, mum - and what would I want for them. Because the alternative is looking at them and thinking "why should I give a fuck about them?", which is the mindset you're ultimately supporting. So while you're putting your own kids first, it would mean that every single other person doesn't give a shit about them. If your kids suffer so their family can have more then that's the way it's got to be. You're advocating a system whereby everyone else will be looking to take from your kids at any opportunity and not care about them. That seems like a very odd thing to desire for your children.

So instead why shouldn't I look at ways to achieve what every single one of us wants together, rather than fighting each other and everyone ending up being unhappy and huge numbers failing in such a basic task? You say how difficult it is for your kids to buy a home, and you're right. But is the problem there caused by people like yourself and your kids wanting to buy a home or the greedy bastards who own loads of them, use them to line their own pockets and still want more. But rather than try and make that situation better you're just playing their game armed like the Black Knight from Monty Python.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

i think a surgeon could clean a street I wouldn’t want a street cleaner remaining my appendix
But if the street cleaner doesn't do his job I'm more likely to die of some horrible bacterial infection or disease long before I need a surgeon to remove my appendix.

Brighton Sky Blue

But it is pretty selfish ultimately, because it's only your offspring you're bothered about. If it gives your kids more but other kids end up suffering because of it, so be it. You got what YOU wanted.

I'm fine with people wanting to protect their kids and family - it's one of the most basic traits ingrained in us and many other species. A roof over their heads, food in their belly and being happy.

But at the same time I acknowledge that every single other person wants that too. I know there will be people who find this hard to fathom, but when I think of other people even though I don't know them I put myself into the position of if I did - if they were my nan, brother, mum - and what would I want for them. Because the alternative is looking at them and thinking "why should I give a fuck about them?", which is the mindset you're ultimately supporting. So while you're putting your own kids first, it would mean that every single other person doesn't give a shit about them. If your kids suffer so their family can have more then that's the way it's got to be. You're advocating a system whereby everyone else will be looking to take from your kids at any opportunity and not care about them. That seems like a very odd thing to desire for your children.

So instead why shouldn't I look at ways to achieve what every single one of us wants together, rather than fighting each other and everyone ending up being unhappy and huge numbers failing in such a basic task? You say how difficult it is for your kids to buy a home, and you're right. But is the problem there caused by people like yourself and your kids wanting to buy a home or the greedy bastards who own loads of them, use them to line their own pockets and still want more. But rather than try and make that situation better you're just playing their game armed like the Black Knight from Monty Python.

Both my grandads were miner’s sons, one in Cov and the other Durham. The one in Cov married someone who’d come into a bit of inheritance and used it to open a few newsagents. He then gave my dad a bit of cash to set up a video rental trolley which he used to fund going to the polytechnic to get an HND and work in computing. Both were/are Tories because they felt they supported small businesses and entrepreneurship.

The one in Durham got into a grammar school and got the A-levels needed for medical school. Then graduated from that, settled in Coventry and got himself a nice big house still in the family’s hands. He voted Labour his whole life, as did most of his children despite the privilege, because he didn’t think it was fair that he was able to go to a selective school and he had no problem paying more of his success back into society.

The first ones couldn’t see that they owed success to a helping hand. The second couldn’t see that it wasn’t unfair for him to succeed-just that more didn’t have the same opportunity.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Another reason why THIS government needs you to believe wages are the problem with inflation

Over a decade of real terms wage deflation. Current inflation rate 9.5%. So obviously it's wages that are the problem :rolleyes:

It's not even like it's that difficult to dispel.

Users who are viewing this thread