Do you want to discuss boring politics? (26 Viewers)

PVA

Really worrying development and I wish more people would understand the implications.

It won’t even register with the vast majority of the population, they’ll be totally oblivious to it, so the government will get away with it.

Of the minority that it does register with, half will call it out for the bullshit that it is and the other half will see headlines of ‘Boris cracks down on woke leftie judges!!’ and think it’s a good thing.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is perfectly normal. We definitely don't live in a banana republic. No siree.

How dare you!

We don't live in a banana republic.

We live in a banana consitutional monarchy and don't you forget it!

Evo1883

Seems this is one that is going to stick. I think rightly so as I remember how difficult it was not seeing friends and family last year. Then it turns out that they had a knees up.

Not that I believe ConGov with their polls , but the fact that potentially 40% of torys dont care that they had a Christmas party pisses me off and just shows the levels they will stoop to to look after the thundercunt in charge

David O'Day

Not that I believe ConGov with their polls , but the fact that potentially 40% of torys dont care that they had a Christmas party pisses me off and just shows the levels they will stoop to to look after the thundercunt in charge
40% of Tory voters wouldn't care if he pissed in their nans face

That's their hardline base that will support them no matter what

fernandopartridge

You only have to look at some of the Tories on here to see that

Evo1883

Prince Harry's comments on quitting your job for your mental health have been debated by many torys on social media .. who would have you nibble the dirt from their shoe for 8 pound a day .

The lad is absolutely 100% correct anyway if he actually said it such is the media spin .

If you are deeply unhappy at work and it's effecting your mental health , take it from me ... quit and keep going until you find something that makes you happy 😊

chiefdave

Prince Harry's comments on quitting your job for your mental health have been debated by many torys on social media .. who would have you nibble the dirt from their shoe for 8 pound a day .

The lad is absolutely 100% correct anyway if he actually said it such is the media spin .

If you are deeply unhappy at work and it's effecting your mental health , take it from me ... quit and keep going until you find something that makes you happy 😊
I'm sure he's absolutely correct but I doubt I'd have much success telling the bank I couldn't pay the mortgage as I've quit my job.

Evo1883

I'm sure he's absolutely correct but I doubt I'd have much success telling the bank I couldn't pay the mortgage as I've quit my job.

My story is exactly that ..

Told the bank I was struggling , they didn't give a fuck , I didn't give a fuck .. repossessed, went bankrupt so they didn't receive their 55,000 pound .. moved on no fucks given , happier than ever 🤣

That was 10 years ago .

Mental health over personal wealth 🙏

Be happy , 1 life

On a more serious note , look for something else if the job is making you seriously unhappy

Grendel

Well he kept the Prince and Sussex titles as is living off the back of it no wonder he’s happy

PVA

Well this sounds like a total shit show.

Raab gets a kicking for being woefully inept and Johnson chose to save some dogs rather than people.

Frostie

Well this sounds like a total shit show.

Raab gets a kicking for being woefully inept and Johnson chose to save some dogs rather than people.

I thought the whole animals taking up space that people could use was debunked as myth ages ago. They went in the hold which is uninhabitable to humans.

chiefdave

Something doesn't add up here, for a change. At the time it was reported that Nowzad chartered their own plane, the animals were in the cargo hold and they offered the spare capacity for government use. The plane left with hundreds of empty seats after their offer was rejected.

PVA

I thought the whole animals taking up space that people could use was debunked as myth ages ago. They went in the hold which is uninhabitable to humans.

Yeah if you read the report it's not space on the plane that is the issue, or even number of planes. The issue was the space at the airport and deployment of troops.

In prioritising these animals it required British soldiers to support them when they could have been deployed to support the evacuation of others, plus they took up capacity in the airport which could have been used to process more people.

Paragraph 212 is pretty definitive;

Screenshot_20211207-105628.png

shmmeee

Yeah if you read the report it's not space on the plane that is the issue, or even number of planes. The issue was the space at the airport and deployment of troops.

In prioritising these animals it required British soldiers to support them when they could have been deployed to support the evacuation of others, plus they took up capacity in the airport which could have been used to process more people.

View attachment 23004

Never understood why this was in doubt. It’s obvious in that situation all resources are stretched and taking some will have knock on effects elsewhere. It’s just the media got everyone into a tizz about cute animals and everyone lost their mind.

Frostie

View attachment 23004

Oh sure, then yeah that makes sense in terms of support but as @chiefdave says, Nozwad chartered their own aircraft & offered up space on it to others. Why was it not used?

chiefdave

To me it seems like the charity is being scapegoated - 'its not our fault, blame them'. Not like there was an orderly queue of people waiting to get onto planes and people lost their place in the queue to make way for Nowzad. If they had far more people to get out than they had capacity for why were planes taking off with hundreds of empty seats?

Given that Nowzad got themselves transported to the airport and chartered their own plane surely all that was needed was for someone miles away to sign off on the paperwork and then some assistance to get from outside the airport to their waiting plane. Not sure you can blame tens of thousands being left behind, emails being unanswered for hours etc on that.

David O'Day

To me it seems like the charity is being scapegoated - 'its not our fault, blame them'. Not like there was an orderly queue of people waiting to get onto planes and people lost their place in the queue to make way for Nowzad. If they had far more people to get out than they had capacity for why were planes taking off with hundreds of empty seats?

Given that Nowzad got themselves transported to the airport and chartered their own plane surely all that was needed was for someone miles away to sign off on the paperwork and then some assistance to get from outside the airport to their waiting plane. Not sure you can blame tens of thousands being left behind, emails being unanswered for hours etc on that.

No you can blame both for this and the people who worked at the charity being left behind.

If the bloke wasn't such an egotistical c**t they could of evacuated the staff and the simple fact remains that if they hadn't more deserving people would of escaped.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Of course it's better to not do work that's affecting your mental health. But he's in the lucky position of never having to worry about whether he has a job or not. The bills will get paid anyway.

If you're in a position whereby you're working just to keep a roof over your head and food on your table then having the option to just quit isn't there, and often the hours and effect it's having on your mental health means it's nigh on impossible to get out of the rut.

There will be Tories who are of the opinion that the lower orders should just stop complaining and accept their lot so that they and their mates can make a fortune from their endeavour, because they believe that is what is important and drives society (it isn't). There do seem to be plenty of them (and increasing) who's views would be more akin to the Victorian age.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It works both ways, as there will be Labour supporters who would do the exact same if it was the other way round. It makes politics worthless if people will just excuse one side for something they would be demanding resignations etc for form the other.

I'd love to see people being told that Labour/Tories had broken the rules on having these parties and get their reaction, then the interviewer to correct themselves and say it was the other and see how they respond.

Skybluefaz

Thanks for bringing up the career stuff to allow me to crow about getting a 2:1 in my degree last week. Now I can put BSc after my name if I want to look a proper c**t.

I know I was in a privileged position to be able to change career tracks at 30. Not everyone is. I quit my job a month ago now and I'm freelancing, on a project for the company I used to work for for the time being. I was proper miserable and feeling like shite towards the end of my time at my last company, even though it was in a sector I wanted to work in. The people and environment really didn't work for me. Now I'm looking at graduate jobs but primarily I'd like to stay self employed and build my own thing. I do feel much better for leaving my last job though.

Liquid Gold

Thanks for bringing up the career stuff to allow me to crow about getting a 2:1 in my degree last week. Now I can put BSc after my name if I want to look a proper c**t.

I know I was in a privileged position to be able to change career tracks at 30. Not everyone is. I quit my job a month ago now and I'm freelancing, on a project for the company I used to work for for the time being. I was proper miserable and feeling like shite towards the end of my time at my last company, even though it was in a sector I wanted to work in. The people and environment really didn't work for me. Now I'm looking at graduate jobs but primarily I'd like to stay self employed and build my own thing. I do feel much better for leaving my last job though.
Congrats on the degree skybluefaz BSc from Liquid Gold BA MA

I was also in a horrible job that was going nowhere that I hated, always ill with stress doing 4 peoples jobs. Took the time out to get my masters and now work in a sector I I've always wanted to and been at the same job for years.

It's so important to get that headspace and look what you want to do instead of plowing on just to pay the bills if you're unhappy.

chiefdave

Congrats from chiefdave BSc. Would love to be able to retrain and switch careers, not really a viable option for me unfortunately. Although to be honest I'm not entirely sure what career I'd change to! There's things I wished I had pursued back in the day but that's a bit different to making a complete change as you rapidly approach 50.

IMO we should stop pushing everyone into degrees straight after a-levels and get people out into the real world so they have a better idea what they want to do and then go to uni later on. Are there any stats for how many people actually end up in careers related to their degrees?

PVA

I have a degree and although I obviously had a good time at uni the whole thing was a total waste of time and money. For me, anyway, for plenty of people it isn't of course.

We were definitely pressured into going to uni at my school. It was just presented as the most natural thing and that only people who didn't want to make something of themselves wouldn't go. I'd say in a year group of 150 or so probably only 10 or 15 didn't go to uni.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I have a degree and although I obviously had a good time at uni the whole thing was a total waste of time and money. For me, anyway, for plenty of people it isn't of course.

We were definitely pressured into going to uni at my school. It was just presented as the most natural thing and that only people who didn't want to make something of themselves wouldn't go. I'd say in a year group of 150 or so probably only 10 or 15 didn't go to uni.

I no longer work in the industry I got my degree in (accounting, finance, business management) though that's hardly surprising as I mainly chose it because it was something that would be useful in any industry as I didn't really know what I wanted to do and still don't really.

Even so given the time and expense I'd have been better off just doing professional exams at the practice I worked for out-of-term - got paid, had tuition paid for me and had actual qualifications that would've been genuinely worthwhile. Would have still left the profession anyway but they'd have been more useful.

I'd say far more people I know with a degree work outside of their degree than within, but that's just a small sample size based on my own contacts.

I agree about the pressure to go to uni. As someone leaving school in the late 90's during the new-Labour desire for everyone to be in HE uni was definitely pushed heavily even for those it wasn't suitable for, because funding came from getting us into it. I feel over the years the value of a degree has been hit heavily and no longer carries the kudos and earning potential it used to because of it. IMO rather than getting more degrees the effort would have been better spent improving the perception and worth of things like apprenticeships and technical/vocational qualifications.

chiefdave

Looking at a completely unrepresentative sample (people I went to school with who are on Facebook!), the people who 'achieved' at school and went on to uni are mostly thoroughly miserable, stressed etc. The people who 'failed' and went off for a few years before deciding what they wanted to do and undertaking appropriate training seem far happier and have advanced pretty rapidly in their chosen careers.

I finished school and went to uni in 92 so just at the start of the big push for everyone to go and it was bad enough then but it seems out of control now.

Grendel

Looking at a completely unrepresentative sample (people I went to school with who are on Facebook!), the people who 'achieved' at school and went on to uni are mostly thoroughly miserable, stressed etc. The people who 'failed' and went off for a few years before deciding what they wanted to do and undertaking appropriate training seem far happier and have advanced pretty rapidly in their chosen careers.

I finished school and went to uni in 92 so just at the start of the big push for everyone to go and it was bad enough then but it seems out of control now.

Opposite experience to me going in the 80’s only one who went out of my friends at school really and most of my alumni have had far better careers then them

Brighton Sky Blue

I did the best at school and Uni and now get paid the least out of my friends from school. That said we have a stable and above average income while the others have mostly had to keep jumping ship every few years.

Would have been nice if big pharma wasn’t on its arse when I graduated though.

shmmeee

Congrats from chiefdave BSc. Would love to be able to retrain and switch careers, not really a viable option for me unfortunately. Although to be honest I'm not entirely sure what career I'd change to! There's things I wished I had pursued back in the day but that's a bit different to making a complete change as you rapidly approach 50.

IMO we should stop pushing everyone into degrees straight after a-levels and get people out into the real world so they have a better idea what they want to do and then go to uni later on. Are there any stats for how many people actually end up in careers related to their degrees?

Just bullshit your CV, read up about the industry for a week before the interview and drop into some middle management position where it’ll take ages before you’re found out, at which point you’ve got experience to go elsewhere. Boom new career.

Users who are viewing this thread