Do you want to discuss boring politics? (26 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There must be one hell of a prize for the winner of this year's Tory party "Who Can Say The Dumbest Thing" competition.

So many of them trying their hardest to win.

Last edited:

Grendel

There must be one hell of a prize this year for the winner of this year's Tory party "Who Can Say The Dumbest Thing" competition.

So many of them trying their hardest to win.

They’d never beat you to be fair

PVA

He's released a statement to say that the point he was making was just too nuanced for us all and we're all too stupid to understand what he was saying

Evo1883

The only man to win Labour an election in what ? ..50 years

Basically says some of what I've said many times ... sadly I can't articulate my posts in a way that come over as such however , he's not wrong.

PVA

I don't think there's any doubt (in my mind at least) that as an individual he is capable of governing.

He's intelligent enough and statesman-like enough to be able to do the job perfectly well.

Certainly compared to the incumbent. He's a million times more suited to being Prime Minister than Johnson.

It's just whether his party is electable.

Or maybe he just needs to mess his hair up and tell a few jokes.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He's released a statement to say that the point he was making was just too nuanced for us all and we're all too stupid to understand what he was saying

But...but.. Labour treat everyone like they're stupid.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Basically says some of what I've said many times ... sadly I can't articulate my posts in a way that come over as such however , he's not wrong.

I think Starmer is capable of governing the UK (if Johnson is then frankly there can't be that many people that aren't). What I don't think he's capable of is convincing the general public he is.

Ian1779

He’s wrong in the sense that the world is changed from 97 and what is needed has evolved.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Going back to the migrant situation, Diane Abbott would be in charge of sorting all that shit out. People won't vote for that.

Starmer I think does have some potential, however, he needs to clear out some of the shite that sits in the party.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Going back to the migrant situation, Diane Abbott would be in charge of sorting all that shit out. People won't vote for that.

Starmer I think does have some potential, however, he needs to clear out some of the shite that sits in the party.

But they would vote for a party that would have Priti Patel sorting it out...

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

But they would vote for a party that would have Priti Patel sorting it out...

Exactly.

How worrying is it that the labour option is even worse.

You cannot defend it. People will not vote for them whilst you have members like that.

The fact labour can still not win against one of the worst governments I can remember is entirely down to them.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Exactly.

How worrying is it that the labour option is even worse.

You cannot defend it. People will not vote for them whilst you have members like that.

The fact labour can still not win against one of the worst governments I can remember is entirely down to them.

This is what I never understand. People saying they will not vote for Labour because of people like that. But are willing to vote for a party with Johnson, Patel, Rees-Mogg, Hancock, Raab, Dorries, Truss, Gove without even going into the backbenchers who say stuff like those on the UC uplift didn't need it but MP's can't be expected to get by on over £80k, or the guy who thinks criminality in young males is increasing because Dr. Who is now a woman.

These people are just as bad as anything Labour has so if you're using the excuse you can't vote for Labour because of who is in their party then you have absolutely no reason whatsoever to vote for the Tories either.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This is what I never understand. People saying they will not vote for Labour because of people like that. But are willing to vote for a party with Johnson, Patel, Rees-Mogg, Hancock, Raab, Dorries, Truss, Gove without even going into the backbenchers who say stuff like those on the UC uplift didn't need it but MP's can't be expected to get by on over £80k, or the guy who thinks criminality in young males is increasing because Dr. Who is now a woman.

These people are just as bad as anything Labour has so if you're using the excuse you can't vote for Labour because of who is in their party then you have absolutely no reason whatsoever to vote for the Tories either.

So don't listen and keep losing then.

Labour could win pretty easily and yet they can't work it out despite being told what they need to do.

I despise both parties for the record.

PVA

Many people, for various reasons, are just dyed in the wool Tory voters and they will never, ever change.

Johnson could decapitate a puppy live on air, Rees-Mogg could announce everyone earning under 100k is a filthy peasant and a large group of people would still bend down to lick their boots and put a cross in the Tory box at the next election (and throw in a 'but Labour' for good measure).

It doesn't matter what they do, or how bad they are, they won't change their vote.

The only way to win is to pool together some of the votes from the 60% or so of the population who don't vote Tory.

CCFCSteve

Many people, for various reasons, are just dyed in the wool Tory voters and they will never, ever change.

Johnson could decapitate a puppy live on air, Rees-Mogg could announce everyone earning under 100k is a filthy peasant and a large group of people would still bend down to lick their boots and put a cross in the Tory box at the next election (and throw in a 'but Labour' for good measure).

Its the same on both sides PVA which I can never understand…people should vote for who they think would be best for the country and them at the time, not who they or even their family has voted for over the decades… A thatcher government is very different to a Cameron government and a Corbyn government would’ve been very different to a Blair government.

The difference in 2019 was many traditional Labour voted Tory, many for the first time, because of brexit and corbyn. I think with a competent labour leadership, many will return at the next election

Reactions: PVA

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So don't listen and keep losing then.

Labour could win pretty easily and yet they can't work it out despite being told what they need to do.

I despise both parties for the record.

I'm not a Labour supporter.

But tell me exactly what it is that makes Starmer, Rayner, Dodds, Reeves, Nandy, Burnham and Abbott so much worse and unelectable compared to Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Raab, Hancock, Patel, Dorries, Truss, Fletcher and Rosindell?

Grendel

I'm not a Labour supporter.

But tell me exactly what it is that makes Starmer, Rayner, Dodds, Reeves, Nandy, Burnham and Abbott so much worse and unelectable compared to Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Raab, Hancock, Patel, Dorries, Truss, Fletcher and Rosindell?

They are not already in power for a start

CCFCSteve

Starmer's seen as Metropolitan Liberal elite however, and that still taps into some people feeling unrepresented through no fault of his own.

Yeah, he could struggle because of that and I’m sure the Tories will lay the Remainer stuff on thick. If we’re struggling because of Brexit (or more importantly it’s negatively impacting traditional Labour voting areas that voted Tory last time) then that might not cut through much though. I personally believe the next election will be played out more on competence and Johnson will be struggling unless he can turn things round sharpish

NorthernWisdom

Yeah, he could struggle because of that and I’m sure the Tories will lay the Remainer stuff on thick. If we’re struggling because of Brexit (or more importantly it’s negatively impacting traditional Labour voting areas that voted Tory last time) then that might not cut through much though. I personally believe the next election will be played out more on competence and Johnson will be struggling unless he can turn things round sharpish
I doubt it'll be Johnson there by that time. Brexit also seems to be stuck in some kind of rut now, where some people will refuse to blame anything on it. And let's face it, if last election Dennis Skinner could be voted out because of Brexit, anything's fair game - if ever there was an MP who was more leave than the current PM, that was one. He'd have gladly voted for us to leave given the chance!

Best they can hope for next election, probably, is slashing the majority and having them and Lib Dems in position to claim seats to tip the balance the election after that - is a depressing thought, but it's too big a majority to turn around in one go, barring a catastrophe.

Users who are viewing this thread