Do you want to discuss boring politics? (20 Viewers)

Ian1779

I thought quite a few schools didn't have uniforms now?

The argument is that it makes everyone equal. What you're wearing becomes another potential bullying tool. Kids being made fun of because they don't have the £100 trainers or the right brands. Puts even more pressure on parents to get that stuff because the kids want to fit in, or at least not be teased.

It's an extra expense on top of normal clothing though. Ideally they'd be provided by the school for free (or at least heavily subsidised) if it were considered that important. In these days of be whoever you want to be I'm surprised someone hasn't challenged uniforms as a restriction of freedom of self expression.

If every school wore the same colour trousers/jumpers/blazers etc and only the badge and tie changed they should be able to be mass produced cheaply but if it was done via a centralised contract undoubtedly some mate of a minister's company would get it and each pair of trousers would end up costing £100.
Schools should have standard blazers, shirts trousers etc along with PE kit. If they want personalised badges or embroidery, the school should cover the cost.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Thats going to happen wherever they are thiugh. Every kid brings £500+ of electronics with them these days.

Im actually a fan of uniform generally but the new “buy this specific overpriced thing from one specific store” can get bent.

I’ve said before but my ideal system would have three schools: primary (Y1-5), middle (6-9) and secondary (10-13) and I feel then you could do away with uniform in secondary.

I agree entirely about the having to buy from specific suppliers. Another way private enterprise and a profit motive has worked its way into public services.

Although it was all on one site my primary was 'split' into infants (R,1,2,3) then juniors (4,5,6) but I think yours probably makes more sense, especially now education goes up to Y13.

shmmeee

I agree entirely about the having to buy from specific suppliers. Another way private enterprise and a profit motive has worked its way into public services.

Although it was all on one site my primary was 'split' into infants (R,1,2,3) then juniors (4,5,6) but I think yours probably makes more sense, especially now education goes up to Y13.

I just think Y6 is too old for primary and Y7/8 too young for secondary. Y9 is a difficult one as a bit of a transition year but when I’ve seen it in Leicestershire it stops them growing up too quickly and acting like 18 year olds when they’re 13.

Evo1883

The tories in coventry have tabled a motion to privatise the waste collection .

Labour are to vote against it

Memo we got today

NorthernWisdom

They do not. The treasury doesn't get on the phone to HMRC to ask them to transfer across tax receipts before issuing a department with a budget.
Nor is it rational to just print whatever cash it wants.

Seriously, it's absolutely crazy to assume you can just devalue your currency by printing what you feel like, in a global economy. If you're suggesting the treasury just pluck a figure out of the air when setting a budget, then that is absolute madness too (well, tbf maybe not under this lot!). There are enough examples of that failing spectacularly to show it's naive at best, totally irresponsible at worst.

fernandopartridge

Nor is it rational to just print whatever cash it wants.

Seriously, it's absolutely crazy to assume you can just devalue your currency by printing what you feel like, in a global economy. If you're suggesting the treasury just pluck a figure out of the air when setting a budget, then that is absolute madness too (well, tbf maybe not under this lot!). There are enough examples of that failing spectacularly to show it's naive at best, totally irresponsible at worst.

For somebody who purports to be a bit of a thinker, you're not reading what I am saying. I am saying that public spending is not dependent on tax income. Your post agrees with that. I haven't said that it means the government should just print money.

Tax has a function but it is not to fund public spending. As I've said, read the book I've mentioned and open your mind a little.

COV

Finally something interesting in polictics

The Labour minister for climate change, Juliet James, is the sister of the Aphex Twin :)

shmmeee

Finally something interesting in polictics

The Labour minister for climate change, Juliet James, is the sister of the Aphex Twin :)

I saw this. This is the kind of politics that will get Labour back in government. Cool Britannia 2.0

Reactions: COV

robbiekeane

Thats going to happen wherever they are thiugh. Every kid brings £500+ of electronics with them these days.

Im actually a fan of uniform generally but the new “buy this specific overpriced thing from one specific store” can get bent.

I’ve said before but my ideal system would have three schools: primary (Y1-5), middle (6-9) and secondary (10-13) and I feel then you could do away with uniform in secondary.
Sort of how it is in the US

COV

I saw this. This is the kind of politics that will get Labour back in government. Cool Britannia 2.0

And if she gets her brother to do some music for the campaign then victory is assured.

1997- D Ream, Things can only get better
2024- TBC- will likely sound like corrugated iron being pelted by rocks to the backdrop of samples from a warzone.

Apt for the direction of politics over that period I'd say

Evo1883

1.25% national insurance rise April 2022
giphy.gif

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Tories once again protecting their backers over the many. I'll say it again as I've said many times before, working people voting for them are turkeys voting for Christmas.

I still think a lot of people vote for them as the lesser of two evils. You might think that is wrong, but good luck trying to educate them otherwise.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Define evil in this context? What is evil about the alternative(s)?

I don't speak for every single person in the population, but I suspect the percentage of people who aren't avid fans of both the conservatives and labour is very high. I certainly don't see an overwhelming amount of people pledging blind loyalty to one or the other anymore. Let's face it, they are both a shambles and I get the impression that many people do vote conservative purely to keep labour out, even if they don't really like them either.

Evil can be whatever poison you want it to be depending on what policies and type of politician you like or don't like, but in this context it was just more of a turn of phrase.

David O'Day

It does take a lot to piss of the left, right and centre and they've done it in one quick go with this

skybluetony176

I wonder if the brexit yacht will get cancelled now. We clearly can’t afford it given we need an over 10% rise in NI to pay for things we do need.

shmmeee

Tories overspending on tax breaks for their mates and brexit yachts. The problem with spending g other people’s money is you run out of it. Should’ve fixed the roof while the sun was shining.

Have I missed any?

Now the Tories have accepted they’ve lost the argument on the size of the state perhaps they will also consider how best to fund it fairly?

skybluetony176

I keep hearing/reading that there’s a pandemic, we have to pay for it somehow. I can’t see how social care reforms and the financial cost of the pandemic are linked. As far as I can tell we borrowed the money to pay for the pandemic costs and the problems in social care were not caused by the pandemic but by a decade of austerity. Basically the working man is paying for the banking crisis again, first in the form of austerity now again in a tax hike to remedy the effects of austerity. Just more proof that austerity didn’t work and the elite who bought around the banking crisis still get off Scot free. Is that about the size of it?

Users who are viewing this thread