Do you want to discuss boring politics? (7 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

Frontline healthcare workers aside, I'm afraid public sector pay rises this year generally would be seen as a slap in the face for the millions of folks who have lost their jobs, had their earnings decimated, seen their businesses go under & look forward to more of the same in 2021....

Disgraceful that the MPs are taking theirs.......but not at all surprising.

It isn't the fault of public sector employees, it is not a race to the bottom

Brighton Sky Blue

Frontline healthcare workers aside, I'm afraid public sector pay rises this year generally would be seen as a slap in the face for the millions of folks who have lost their jobs, had their earnings decimated, seen their businesses go under & look forward to more of the same in 2021....

Since we’ve had it frozen for a decade it’s just restoring to where it should have been anyway.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, I'd say having a semi-guaranteed job is reward enough atm, and it's time to support others less fortunate. Shame MPs won't lead from the front in that, mind you.

In normal circumstances I'd be all for the campaign against wage depression, but this is not a normal year. It's been horrible for just about everybody, and I suspect there are very few people who can say they've enjoyed their job this year, and it's been an absolute pleasure!

I don’t know where you’ve got that impression I’ve never been happier

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well yes. To be clear, given the year we've had, I'm not even against a pay freeze for the public sector this year. But yes, leading by example is surely the way forward.

I've said before it should be written legislation that MP's shouldn't be allowed a salary increase greater than the lowest percentage increase for public sector workers. If possible I'd include the top civil servants in that.

wingy

I think the essential worker's who've made sure food has been on our tables and worked through while most had an extended holiday should get a £1k bonus in their Xmas pay packets .
I say this as someone who has nearly been bankrupted by this blight.

Edit: or a tax holiday equivalent to £1k.

Skybluefaz

I think the essential worker's who've made sure food has been on our tables and worked through while most had an extended holiday should get a £1k bonus in their Xmas pay packets .
I say this as someone who has nearly been bankrupted by this blight.

Edit: or a tax holiday equivalent to £1k.
The local coop gave all staff an extra weeks wages. Decent move

shmmeee

MPs getting a three grand pay rise I see,The leaders of all parties should come out and give it to a kids charity.
Didn’t Dave Nellist refuse his MPs salary when he was an MP in the 80’s? Just took a living wage etc?

Nadia Whittome gives a chunk of hers away to charities so she only earns the average wage.

Don’t agree with a some of her politics, but very admirable I think.

Ian1779

True enough....but equally its not the fault of those employed outside of the public sector & its relative security.
I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is what it is.....
If only we had a government that would appropriately tax all the companies that have made a fuck load of money out of the Cov-ID pandemic.

Haven’t multimillionaires/billionaires seen their wealth increase by like 25% or something?
But it’s those pesky teachers that are being greedy (which I know you are not actually saying - buts that how they’ll let it be perceived)

CCFCSteve

I've said before it should be written legislation that MP's shouldn't be allowed a salary increase greater than the lowest percentage increase for public sector workers. If possible I'd include the top civil servants in that.

This is the time for MPs to step up, show us that things have improved since the expenses scandal and we are all in this together......apart from some notable exceptions I won’t hold my breath !

Grendel

The problem is their wages are low in comparison to the private sector and there should be an actual wage level which makes people want uk be an MP

Grendel

If only we had a government that would appropriately tax all the companies that have made a fuck load of money out of the Cov-ID pandemic.

Haven’t multimillionaires/billionaires seen their wealth increase by like 25% or something?
But it’s those pesky teachers that are being greedy (which I know you are not actually saying - buts that how they’ll let it be perceived)

Most workers in the private sector will get no pay increase

CCFCSteve

The problem is their wages are low in comparison to the private sector and there should be an actual wage level which makes people want uk be an MP

Agree with this (and with NW earlier) but now just doesn’t feel the right time when hundreds of thousands in the private sector will be made redundant and there’s a public sector pay freeze.

ps I think they do ok with pensions, perks etc but still probably not going to attract the best from private sector if they are focussed solely on pay

shmmeee

Yeah, I'd say having a semi-guaranteed job is reward enough atm, and it's time to support others less fortunate. Shame MPs won't lead from the front in that, mind you.

In normal circumstances I'd be all for the campaign against wage depression, but this is not a normal year. It's been horrible for just about everybody, and I suspect there are very few people who can say they've enjoyed their job this year, and it's been an absolute pleasure!

While I get the emotional part, on a purely practical level putting money in people’s pockets to spend is exactly what’s needed when it’s the entertainment and hospitality sectors that have been hit so hard.

It’s not construction and the like that need it like normal government stimulus. Raising the minimum wage and public sector pay is probably the best idea.

Answer in this country is always drag everyone down to equalise rather than raise everyone up. Pensions, wages, whatever, if the public sector have it good the answer is never “so should everyone” but always the green eyed monster.

shmmeee

Find me a private sector job you can do with no experience and no qualifications that earns you £80k/year in your first year.

Let’s not pretend these are board level quality people here. Most would be lucky to rise to middle manager is a regional mobile phone sales business. This theory is always floated but if anything as pay has gone up the quality of MPs has gone down.

Grendel

Find me a private sector job you can do with no experience and no qualifications that earns you £80k/year in your first year.

Let’s not pretend these are board level quality people here. Most would be lucky to rise to middle manager is a regional mobile phone sales business. This theory is always floated but if anything as pay has gone up the quality of MPs has gone down.

Ridiculous - why aren’t you doing it then? Oddly you big up far inferior versions who can only make to council levels. I wonder why

shmmeee

Ridiculous - why aren’t you doing it then? Oddly you big up far inferior versions who can only make to council levels. I wonder why

You been at the beers again?

Nadia Whittome, care worker. Mahiri Black student. Grant Shapps dodgy fucking ebook salesman. I could go on. And yet also the landed gentry, people like Sunak with personal fortunes and people like Starmer who rose to the top of their profession.

The problem with getting good quality politicians is at the top of the funnel. It requires too much party loyalty and time served. It requires navigating a minefield of weirdos and even weirderdos and these days having anonymous nobheads on Twitter claim you’re part of some mental conspiracy and deserve duffing up or worse.

And yeah, most of the ones who do it do it because they want to make a positive difference. And there are a few pricks, because: humans. So while I don’t rate the quality of politicians, I also don’t buy into the conspiracy theories and shit stirring.

Ian1779

Most workers in the private sector will get no pay increase
I know that - and you can see the huge disparity in the private sector where some people have been furloughed for 6+ months and some that have worked every day on a barely minimum wage as they were classed as key workers.

But still we have people getting rich off the back of others peoples hardship.

fernandopartridge

When you take into account expenses it isn't a bad salary. I don't have a problem with them getting a pay rise tbh, it is illogical to argue against it imo.

skybluetony176

If Ben Bradley worked for a large corporation he’d be a janitor. No way he’s took a pay cut to be an MP. Being tipped for ministerial position. He has all the right qualifications in this dumbed downed government too.

skybluetony176

Besides, you could say the same about any public sector worker pretty much. Take nurses for instance. I don’t believe that private healthcare nurses earn much more than NHS nurses but they have the bonus of working structured single shifts, they aren’t stretched like NHS nurses at certain times of the year or in a pandemic, I dare say they have better benefits and pensions too.

fernandopartridge

If Ben Bradley worked for a large corporation he’d be a janitor. No way he’s took a pay cut to be an MP. Being tipped for ministerial position. He has all the right qualifications in this dumbed downed government too.
He's thick as shit. He made a c**t of himself and ended up being schooled by Martin Luther King's daughter the other day

David O'Day

Grenners acting like he knows about high salaries.

Last time he had a job he made most of his money when customers told "here's a fiver keep the change"

clint van damme

the problem isn't so much them getting a pay rise but the fact they deny it to others who clearly deserve it.
I was going to type that they wouldn't get away with making decisions as poor/corrupt as some that they've made recently if they worked in the private sector but then 2 examples came immediately to mind that have happened in my own company in the last couple of years which cost the company millions and those responsible didn't lose their jobs.

David O'Day

To be fair to those criticising they also get recommendations for pay rises for workers that they’re happy to ignore. Maybe the answer is to take public sector pay out MPs hands too?

maybe but the point is they don't give themselves pay rises

fernandopartridge

To be fair to those criticising they also get recommendations for pay rises for workers that they’re happy to ignore. Maybe the answer is to take public sector pay out MPs hands too?
That's a good point. The other option is just to guarantee an annual cost of living increase based on RPI.

People in the private sector (I'm one of them despite working in the broad public sector) being against pay rises for public sector workers is misguided. Where is the incentive for any employer to increase pay if you know wages are suppressed elsewhere?

NorthernWisdom

That's a good point. The other option is just to guarantee an annual cost of living increase based on RPI.

People in the private sector (I'm one of them despite working in the broad public sector) being against pay rises for public sector workers is misguided. Where is the incentive for any employer to increase pay if you know wages are suppressed elsewhere?
I agree with the latter point. It's the same whenever people protest about removal of conditions, perks etc. because they don't have them. Surely they should be supported to maintain them, and then everybody campaigns for other areas to *gain* them too!

That being said, Covid has exposed certain benefits I hadn't thought of until now of the public sector. I work both private, and public. The private job has all-but evaporated (depended on funding, and the funding is going into rescuing projects already up and running, rather than new ones) whereas the public job is, at least, secure in its hours and pay, and tbf to senior management, they've managed the crisis very well, in my view.

I don't think, however, it's appropriate for pay rises this year as it is exceptional. What that money should be used for is funding additional jobs, re-training, and other areas that will be needed going forward. By all means, in normal circumstance it's been ludicrous that public sector pay has been frozen as long as it has, but we're not in normal times. Compared to my other job, I'm glad to have one at all atm!

And yes, I appreciate it's probably naive to expect funding for public benefit going forward but... you never know!

Users who are viewing this thread