Do you want to discuss boring politics? (22 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

CCFCSteve

Let the gerrymandering commence

Think that’s a little OTT BSB. This shouldve happened a long time ago ie roughly same number of people in each constituency (Also should happen in US where it’s even more ridiculous !) I’d have personally liked it to have been with a cut in number of MPs and reform of House of Lords like suggested a while back, maybe with an element of PR involved

Also the new borders should be decided independently so as to not provide a distinct advantage to any parties but the concept is correct

As DOD suggests this isn’t something that won’t happen quickly (if at all)

Brighton Sky Blue

Think that’s a little OTT BSB. This shouldve happened a long time ago ie roughly same number of people in each constituency (Also should happen in US where it’s even more ridiculous !) I’d have personally liked it to have been with a cut in number of MPs and reform of House of Lords like suggested a while back, maybe with an element of PR involved

Also the new borders should be decided independently so as to not provide a distinct advantage to any parties but the concept is correct

As DOD suggests this isn’t something that won’t happen quickly (if at all)

The Lords is what needs heavily curtailing, not the Commons. Taking seats away from everywhere and giving them to southern England is pretty much the opposite of ‘levelling up’

CCFCSteve

The Lords is what needs heavily curtailing, not the Commons. Taking seats away from everywhere and giving them to southern England is pretty much the opposite of ‘levelling up’

But there’s no curtailing, it’s proposing making constituencies an equal size, which conceptually is correct (it’s how it’s delivered which needs proper scrutiny). Aa I said above the democrats have wanted to do something similar in US for ages as it’s 10 times worse there

Ps don’t get me started in HoL !

Last edited:

wingy

But there’s no curtailing, it’s proposing making constituencies an equal size, which conceptually is correct (it’s how it’s delivered which needs proper scrutiny). Aa I said above the democrats have wanted to do something similar in US for ages as it’s 10 times worse there

Depends if we think one size fits all really?
It may for all I know, trying to think of something comparable but coming up with zilch.

wingy

Interesting if the central policy of say the last 50 year's skews the economy to be so London centric that it actually drives the growth of population to the capital,sort of centralises that power even more.
So it will take policies to reverse this to the regions.
Maybe Covid will reverse this trend ,anecdotal evidence of this from the media.

Brighton Sky Blue

There is a good reason for not overlapping rural and urban constituencies as the needs are quite different. Just weighting things more in favour of the south exacerbates the bias already there

CCFCSteve

There is a good reason for not overlapping rural and urban constituencies as the needs are quite different. Just weighting things more in favour of the south exacerbates the bias already there

Agree about the challenges around rural/urban constituencies. Its a tricky balance between serving the constituency and then MPs forming part of central government. The latter is why I think constituencies should be broadly equal in populations though

Ps last thing any of us want is a more London/south centric government focus. Not sure government do either bearing in mind there’s more left leaning support down there

Philosorapter

Should he stay or should he go now?

If he goes there will be trouble.

All.PNG

But if he stays there will be double.

Labour.PNG

Philosorapter

Um…. Not sure what reality you’re in where Owen Smith won the leadership.

But the challenge was there and at least the membership had a vote on it. I am sure you would fully back this if it happened again.

shmmeee

But the challenge was there and at least the membership had a vote on it. I am sure you would fully back this if it happened again.

Yeah and the party rejected it because we don’t sack leaders before a GE no matter how poor they are. As Corbyn showed.

But sure, if you want to see Sultana or Burgon get curb stomped while the party looks like a joke crack on.

Starmers approvals even now are miles ahead of Corbyns in 2016 and Corbyn won at a canter. *Because the party doesn’t sack leaders before a GE*.

chiefdave

I'm in Coventry South and if this is similar to the last time it came up we were going to be bundled into Kenilworth!

Philosorapter

I'm in Coventry South and if this is similar to the last time it came up we were going to be bundled into Kenilworth!

There are no major changes to Coventry, the number of MPs stays the same. Just a few changes between the Coventry North East and Coventry South boundaries.

Binley and Stoke way.

Ian1779

Yeah and the party rejected it because we don’t sack leaders before a GE no matter how poor they are. As Corbyn showed.

But sure, if you want to see Sultana or Burgon get curb stomped while the party looks like a joke crack on.

Starmers approvals even now are miles ahead of Corbyns in 2016 and Corbyn won at a canter. *Because the party doesn’t sack leaders before a GE*.
It will be the right of the party that tries to remove him if anyone does.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sultana and Burgon are the only ones asking the questions I want asking and looking like they give a shit. Not to say I want either as leader just I want to see more of that from the incumbent

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Agree about the challenges around rural/urban constituencies. Its a tricky balance between serving the constituency and then MPs forming part of central government. The latter is why I think constituencies should be broadly equal in populations though

Ps last thing any of us want is a more London/south centric government focus. Not sure government do either bearing in mind there’s more left leaning support down there

Most of the S/SE leans to the right. As does most rural communities. London has more left leaning but even that has an almost equal area voting blue in most of the affluent areas.

I totally agree about equal representation in terms of population, but the rural constituencies wouldn't like it as they would become bigger.

The US are constantly doing this to 'level up' district populations but it's consistently been show that the way they do it is incredibly haphazard and seems to be designed to minimise the voice of those more likely to vote democrat

shmmeee

Sultana and Burgon are the only ones asking the questions I want asking and looking like they give a shit. Not to say I want either as leader just I want to see more of that from the incumbent

This is 2016 all over again. He may be shite (I actually think he’s doing OK considering, but still) but until you’ve got someone better all you do by attacking him is strengthen him. Burgon and Sultana are the Owen Smiths of the left.

The left clearly hasn’t learned shit from the last five years which is incredibly frustrating.

Brighton Sky Blue

This is 2016 all over again. He may be shite (I actually think he’s doing OK considering, but still) but until you’ve got someone better all you do by attacking him is strengthen him. Burgon and Sultana are the Owen Smiths of the left.

The left clearly hasn’t learned shit from the last five years which is incredibly frustrating.

I did say I wouldn’t have either of them as leader. But they are some of quite few asking what I want to be asked. Also not yet at the point of wanting Starmer to go though

Ian1779

They are asking the questions not attacking him directly. People whispering about replacing Starmer are from the right.

CCFCSteve

Bit sloppy for a data guy

Wonder if this is all part of his masterplan though. Cummings waits for Hancock to tell his version of events at the hearing (perjure himself for want of a better phrase) and then after it’s done Cummings produces his evidence. Hancock doubly in the shit.

skybluetony176

I see that the Daily Heil and Express are losing their shit because Oxford students elected to take down a portrait of the queen from their common room. The only countries I’ve been where it’s mandatory to display an image of the head of state are tin pot dictatorships.

chiefdave

I see that the Daily Heil and Express are losing their shit because Oxford students elected to take down a portrait of the queen from their common room. The only countries I’ve been where it’s mandatory to display an image of the head of state are tin pot dictatorships.
Thought they were keen on Universities being able to do whatever they liked. Or does that only apply when its certain types of event being cancelled?

skybluetony176

Thought they were keen on Universities being able to do whatever they liked. Or does that only apply when its certain types of event being cancelled?
Surely you’re not accusing the Daily Heil of hypocrisy in pursuit of a culture war are you?
One of the areas they’ve declared a no go area for “whites” is 88% white and weeks earlier in another article they described it as a beautiful leafy area perfect for their readership to settle in.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

clint van damme

On the day when some charities have released a report on terminally ill people having their benefits withdrawn.
A cynic might say this is a deliberate distraction.

Ian1779

Replaced her with a topless Katie Price poster… fucking students.

Users who are viewing this thread