DO NOT boo the knee (1 Viewer)

fatso

To be honest mate people go to football matches to watch good football. So as long as robins keeps churning out results and performances we’ll be fine.

The reality is though, and listened to klopp for a fantastic interview with the head of the Liverpool lgbt group, as long as fans are outwardly showing discrimination whether racist, homophobic or whatever else it is gonna put people off.

I am all for taking the piss out of opposing fans and the crowd rivalry is a huge part of the excitement. When it becomes that people are discriminated against it goes too far.

The reality is I know if I go to certain games with my old man (which I do). There are certain places, let’s take millwall as the example, whereby we could easily be on the end of racist abuse.

Imagine you’re getting ready for a match day, looking forward to the buzz of the game, having a few beers etc. but at the back of your mind you’re thinking ‘I wonder if me or my dad will get racially abused today’

Like pause to think about that a minute and how that can detract from what otherwise is our favourite time of the week

People think booing the knees is not the same as it’s not as overt as directly racially abusing someone but by saying I don’t agree that you have the right to stand up against racism, it really does feel like the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the honest reply, I can only try and imagine what it must be like.
FWIW, you and your old man can sit with me any time you like. I'd be proud to support our club together!

COV

Then as a white person I can only apologise to you for the minority of morons who continue to make you feel uncomfortable in any way in this day and age.
I can assure you that the vast majority of City fans do not accept any form of racism.
I'd be interested to hear of any ideas you may have to make people more likely to attend home matches.

Backtrack alert

Liquid Gold

I don't think he's actually being serious. Just some teenage edgelord with empty cans of monster and crusty wank socks around him looking for bites on the internet over the summer holiday as he can't get anywhere near a girl.

I don't think he's actually being serious. Just some teenage edgelord with empty cans of monster and crusty wank socks around him looking for bites on the internet over the summer holiday as he can't get anywhere near a girl.
Teenager, thank you Comedy Gold and thank you for the insight to what you got up to as a teenager. Just think though your Mum used to handle your crusty socks to put them in the wash so she handled your love juice in more ways than 1

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yeah each to their own, I just think it was a dumb strategy to use that particular gesture, just gives racists even more fuel

But the gesture was picked up by organisations like BLM because it was having an impact. If the players chose a different gesture (let's say for sake or argument lying face down on the floor) if that gained traction those same organisations would adopt that and you'd have the same bullshit argument by racists of that gesture being political.

better days

To be honest mate people go to football matches to watch good football. So as long as robins keeps churning out results and performances we’ll be fine.

The reality is though, and listened to klopp for a fantastic interview with the head of the Liverpool lgbt group, as long as fans are outwardly showing discrimination whether racist, homophobic or whatever else it is gonna put people off.

I am all for taking the piss out of opposing fans and the crowd rivalry is a huge part of the excitement. When it becomes that people are discriminated against it goes too far.

The reality is I know if I go to certain games with my old man (which I do). There are certain places, let’s take millwall as the example, whereby we could easily be on the end of racist abuse.

Imagine you’re getting ready for a match day, looking forward to the buzz of the game, having a few beers etc. but at the back of your mind you’re thinking ‘I wonder if me or my dad will get racially abused today’

Like pause to think about that a minute and how that can detract from what otherwise is our favourite time of the week

People think booing the knees is not the same as it’s not as overt as directly racially abusing someone but by saying I don’t agree that you have the right to stand up against racism, it really does feel like the same thing

Good measured & illuminating post
You're right about Millwall of course
But they also hate almost everyone don't they?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The reality is no white person has the right to tell a person of colour how they should feel about racism

This is the one small thing about the issue that I'm slightly concerned with. It's very much become a one-way street as if racism can only exist in one direction.

Of course in this country, and the west in general, the problem is massively weighted towards black/brown people but it's not solely that.

For instance, white rappers had, and still have, a much harder time being seen as credible in the industry because it's considered 'black' and it's not for 'white people'. Do you think those white rappers don't experience racism? Should a person of colour have the right to tell them how to feel about racism?

Bands like the Rolling Stones etc have been criticised over the years because they've 'appropriated' black music, which is surely nothing more than showing how much they like and appreciate it by incorporating it into their songs. If a black person wanted to do folk/country and western/classical/heavy metal and someone accused them of 'appropriating' white music that would be looked upon as a racist statement. Black comedians like Nish Kumar do a lot of material about 'white people' which if the situation were reversed would see them hounded out of the industry like the dinosaurs like Manning etc rightly were.

So while I understand what your saying because you're in a situation whereby you're far more likely to suffer from the scourge of racism, it's not just a one way street.

Right so a minutes silence/black armband you would be in support of?
Can’t remember saying that! I know what you mean by slower than platt now, I thought it meant as in pace. You crack on with your opinion on hurty words and I’ll be bothered by things that affect lives. Do you have an outside interest rather than skyblues talk?

SlowerThanPlatt

Can’t remember saying that! I know what you mean by slower than platt now, I thought it meant as in pace. You crack on with your opinion on hurty words and I’ll be bothered by things that affect lives. Do you have an outside interest rather than skyblues talk?

There was me thinking one of our players was racially abused on Tuesday, from what you’re saying he should accept this and concentrate on more important things?

There was me thinking one of our players was racially abused on Tuesday, from what you’re saying he should accept this and concentrate on more important things?
So you get offended for other people? That is so good to hear. I am part of a group who finds and exposes pedophile, we are in Scotland over the weekend, so shall I add your name to our group? We can pick you up in the van

Last edited:

Evo1883

You clearly don’t know irony
First person I've ever seen with a negative reaction score
giphy.gif

SkyBlueGuy

How about people don’t want politics in football? Why not show a gesture before the game about child abuse, domestic abuse, people who get mugged, people who have lost their houses due to losing their jobs?

Mate, you can't be selective about what you want politics involved in. I'd love if we could do that. My first choice would be removing political involvement in education, followed by a whole host of other areas before I'd get to football. But that just isn't the way our country works. Sport (and particularly football) is a national concern, so naturally (like it or not) it is politicised. Its impossible to remove it without a complete overhaul of our political system. Brexit (like it or loathe it) has had impacts on football as has a plethora of other issues (including tackling racism). Suggesting otherwise is either just wishful thinking or very naive

Users who are viewing this thread