Derby unable to pay players wages (1 Viewer)

Colin Steins Smile

Must save a few quid though not having to pay him as a player.
Given the reports of him being paid £60k a week as a player/coach, it'll be interesting to see if with the change of role his pay was revised downwards. I'm not sure how may managers would earn anyway near £60k a week at championship level.....if someone knows better, please respond?

Happy_Martian

Given the reports of him being paid £60k a week as a player/coach, it'll be interesting to see if with the change of role his pay was revised downwards. I'm not sure how may managers would earn anyway near £60k a week at championship level.....if someone knows better, please respond?

Wonder how much Lampard got before him at Derby ?

skybluesam66

Wonder how much Lampard got before him at Derby ?
no idea what God Robins is on, but lets say £10k a week
You could argue he is one of the best performing managers in the championship at present in terms of performance v budget and expectation
Just shows how much Derby have been Spunking on "superstar" managers

SBT

Always found it dodgy that Rooney gets the job over the other, much more qualified coaches who were also the caretakers. But I suppose they're not the first team to hire a big name and hope for the best.

Danceswithhorses

Always found it dodgy that Rooney gets the job over the other, much more qualified coaches who were also the caretakers. But I suppose they're not the first team to hire a big name and hope for the best.
Wonder if Rooney's passed his coaching badges ?

Happy_Martian

<cough,cough> Terry Butcher ;)

shmmeee

Yes but I think our lot have always played by the rules both Leicester and Portsmouth got away with it and we took two heavy penalties on the chin and we are here - we couldn’t afford the expensive Ricoh so they had to do something
I'm not arguing that we are solvent. I'm arguing we are actually in a far better position than most clubs.

We are in a situation where our players registrations are generally worth more than we payed for them.

The stadium is obviously a glaring problem and hole in everything. However, if this stadium materialises in collaboration with the University I think we are on a sound footing.

What wage bill do you reckon we could sustain playing at UoW?

Grendel

What wage bill do you reckon we could sustain playing at UoW?

Given we will have loaned £50 million to buy it, have had reduced revenues over the years while it was built its safe to say very little

shmmeee

Given we will have loaned £50 million to buy it, have had reduced revenues over the years while it was built its safe to say very little

I hate to say it, but I agree, never been convinced the thing holding us back is pie money.

Loving the football, but just can’t see how we ever break through to the next level (or even sustain our current one long term) without either a foolishly rich owner or some major changes to the game itself which will never happen.

Would love to know the plan.

chiefdave

I hate to say it, but I agree, never been convinced the thing holding us back is pie money.
You'd have to sell a hell of a lot of pies to compete with clubs who have owners prepared to check £10m or more a season into a black hole in the hopes of reaching the Prem.

Even if somehow we woke up tomorrow and the club had ownership of the Ricoh without paying a penny for it I'm not sure we'd see a player budget anywhere near big enough to compete at the top end of the division.

shmmeee

You'd have to sell a hell of a lot of pies to compete with clubs who have owners prepared to check £10m or more a season into a black hole in the hopes of reaching the Prem.

Even if somehow we woke up tomorrow and the club had ownership of the Ricoh without paying a penny for it I'm not sure we'd see a player budget anywhere near big enough to compete at the top end of the division.

Where do you reckon our ceiling is? Be it Ricoh or UoW?

Sky Blue Harry H

Establish a foothold, Get a stadium (I know that's harder than it sounds) then see where we can get to. Following our team (or any other) is a bit like life; you have to enjoy the journey, not get fixated on the destination. Following City is all about the experience for me and the many happy memories and days out along the way (yes there have been a lot of crap games too!). I don't expect to see City win the PL. or maybe even get to it. in the rest of my lifetime, but just enjoy the buzz it gives me following the club. As long as we sort out a stadium within the next few years I will be happy, in terms of our 'future' - the survival of the club is paramount, and I hope our owners manage to secure it asap.

Sky Blue Harry H

The PL is our ceiling, regardless of which of the two stadia. May not happen, but not impossible. Would have to happen off the back of the stadium, plus a few Brentford style nuggets, then reinvesting well.

chiefdave

Unless something is done to make teams spend within their means I don't see how we can really look much higher than bottom third of the Championship at best. Staying in the division for any extended period of time is probably an overachievement.

If you look at recent seasons and the losses other teams rack up how do you compete with that without an owner being prepared to gamble millions or even tens of millions?

shmmeee

The PL is our ceiling, regardless of which of the two stadia. May not happen, but not impossible. Would have to happen off the back of the stadium, plus a few Brentford style nuggets, then reinvesting well.

Wonder what the lowest wage bill to be promoted to the Prem is 🤔

Magwitch

I think our owner is very mindful of that PL status commands PL wages the thought of having a 25 man squad all on atleast £20k a week will frighten Joy to death and that’s before any premier style transfer fees.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think our owner is very mindful of that PL status commands PL wages the thought of having a 25 man squad all on atleast £20k a week will frighten Joy to death and that’s before any premier style transfer fees.

I think the £100 million just in TV money cushions the blow somewhat.

shmmeee

Swindon 92/93 would be my guess :)

giphy.gif

SBAndy

Unless something is done to make teams spend within their means I don't see how we can really look much higher than bottom third of the Championship at best. Staying in the division for any extended period of time is probably an overachievement.

If you look at recent seasons and the losses other teams rack up how do you compete with that without an owner being prepared to gamble millions or even tens of millions?

Quick fag packet calculations suggest to me that we could generate a turnover of £15-18m if we had our own stadium and crowds of 20k for every game. That’s still below par for a Championship budget I believe and we’d still have to factor debt servicing costs into that.

shmmeee

Quick fag packet calculations suggest to me that we could generate a turnover of £15-18m if we had our own stadium and crowds of 20k for every game. That’s still below par for a Championship budget I believe and we’d still have to factor debt servicing costs into that.

So considering we’d pull in average Championship crowds no problem, is it just the unwillingness to rack up debt/have a rich owner that would stop us competing?

Let’s hope that salary cap comes in.

Brighton Sky Blue

So considering we’d pull in average Championship crowds no problem, is it just the unwillingness to rack up debt/have a rich owner that would stop us competing?

Let’s hope that salary cap comes in.

Add another £10 million to our budget and we’d do a better job with it than a lot of the sides on similar money I reckon.

Mcbean

Since Derby brought Rooney in their PR has been on overdrive and most days they have some coverage in the Telegraph who pay lip service to the Championship generally / once the takeover happens they will get more of the spotlight and scrutiny of course

Brighton Sky Blue

Definitely. I think we could go up with a £15-20m budget.

I know it doesn’t quite work like this but we’re competing with clubs in that sort of budget range this season with £10 million less. Put us in that range and yeah, could perhaps compete with those in the £25-30 mill range

Magwitch

I think the £100 million just in TV money cushions the blow somewhat.
But we would need every penny of that and more new players cost millions and demand three year contracts, I just don’t see the business model our owner pursues covering that. Two of last seasons promoted three are likely to be relegated along with Sheffield United who have only been there 12 months.
I do think we have the potential here to challenge the top end of our league though but we would need to sign half a dozen players to compete. The premier has become a step too far for most not in it, I reckon the three relegated last season will be the three who go up this.
replacing two of the three who went up,

Last edited:

shmmeee

But we would need every penny of that and more new players cost millions and demand three year contracts, I just don’t see the business model our owner pursues covering that. Two of last seasons promoted three are likely to be relegated along with Sheffield United who have only been there 12 months.
I do think we have the potential here to challenge the top end of the league though but we would need to sign half a dozen players to compete. The premier has become a step too far for most not in it, I reckon the three relegated last season will be the three who go up this.
replacing two of the three who went up,

Even if you come straight back down the Prem is a game changer.

I’ve seen this season as promotion to the bottom half of the Championship, hopefully we can build and go up to the top half. It would be the same in the Prem, though maybe split into thirds. Same model: buy young from below or cast off from above and improve them.

Users who are viewing this thread