Deegan (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFCCOVENTRY

I doubt the club would have known about it had it not been for this forum. Damn this OP! :)

Even then they'll only find out free the CET run an article using this post as its 'source'

They know about it. It flashed up on the official comms CCFC twitter lead...

Clever Deegan :jerkit:

Macca

As another posted pointed out, if some of you get your wish and he is kicked out, who are we going to pick? Our squad is down to the bear bones as it is!

Further on the IRA, the organisation for which Deegan has been catigated for defending:

They have destroyed all their weapons in process validated by neutral international monitors (including a former ANC cabinet minister from South Africa, and the former President of Finland) and signed off on by the British authorities and the unionists

They have confirmed in the Stormont (Good Friday) Agreement, via Sinn Fein (their political wing) their willingness to abide by democratic processes in Northern Ireland, including power-sharing with moderate nationalists and the unionists, and re-approved this in the St Andrews Agreement and the Hillsborough Agreement.

As a result, Sinn Fein candidates are legitimately and democratically elected to council seats, NI Assembly seats, MEP roles and Westminster seats (they abstain from the latter). To the best of my knowledge they have fulfilled these roles reasonably diligently and responsibly.

The IRA recognised the authority of the Republic of Ireland parliament, by sending MPs to attend sessions of the lower house of Parliament, the Dail. This confirms their acceptance of the current status quo, as does their participation in the NI assembly at Stormont.

So although the IRA have a very dark history indeed, we can clearly see that they are now an organisation using peaceful means to achieve their political ambitions, much the same as any other political party.

I have no love of the IRA but engaging and working with them on a shared solution has to be better than continued internecine war.
Let's park this one and move on.

Very level headed stuff. Unfortunately I m not and therefore would advocate sticking a bullet between their eyes

CJparker

Well that would bring you down to their level!!

Isn't there enough hatred in the world?

Macca

Only language these types understand. Anyhow this is about an average player being a cock so I ll leave it there I think ;)

rob9872

As long as e all get behind st George tonight we can move on

Macca

This forum really is full of snap-decision, conclusion jumping, slander-peddling morons. No wonder I hardly come on here.

And you were expecting???? Try the Mensa forum, I only come on this forum to talk to people with all the above traits:D

Otis

This forum really is full of snap-decision, conclusion jumping, slander-peddling morons. No wonder I hardly come on here.

Surely you mean, snap decision making, pitchfork wielding, you kill my dad I kill your dad, KKK hooded, hate-filled, vengeful morons? :D

Sick Boy

Would it be OK for someone to show support for the British army on twitter? I am sure there are some people in the middle-East who seem them as being scumbags?

pyeman

Fuck off,kill them all,don't trust them,the queen should kick that c**t in the bollocks not shake his murdering hand

mark82

Would it be OK for someone to show support for the British army on twitter? I am sure there are some people in the middle-East who seem them as being scumbags?

That is different. The British Army do not target innocent people with bombs and are an officially recognised army, not a terrorist group.

Let's put some context to this. If I worked in Iraq and was a public figure to some Iraqi's then, yes, it would be disrespectful to take to twitter supporting the British army when some of my followers may have had family killed by them. Deegan works in England where a number of innocent people were killed by the IRA, some of whom will be Coventry fans. It is 100% unacceptable for him to support them on twitter and he should be reprimanded for it.

CJparker

Freedom of speech and all that - they are now a non-violent organisation committed to democracy - no matter what their crimes, he's entitled to support them nowadays.

covcity4life

That is different. The British Army do not target innocent people with bombs and are an officially recognised army, not a terrorist group.

Let's put some context to this. If I worked in Iraq and was a public figure to some Iraqi's then, yes, it would be disrespectful to take to twitter supporting the British army when some of my followers may have had family killed by them. Deegan works in England where a number of innocent people were killed by the IRA, some of whom will be Coventry fans. It is 100% unacceptable for him to support them on twitter and he should be reprimanded for it.

if you say so.

dongonzalos

I suppose technically, you are right a no bombs were used, however it shows this is quite a complicated issue......

Despite the general unease in Dublin as news broke of the killings, a war-weary populace continued with life. Approximately 5,000 spectators went to Croke Park for the Gaelic football match between Dublin and Tipperary, which began thirty minutes late, at 3:15 p.m. Meanwhile, outside the Park, unseen by the crowd, British security forces were approaching and preparing to raid the match. A convoy of troops drove in from the northwest, along Clonliffe Road, while a convoy of police and Auxiliaries approached the Park from the south or Canal end. Their orders were to surround the grounds, guard the exits, and search every man in the Park. The authorities later stated that their intention was to announce by megaphone that all males leaving the stadium would be searched and that anyone leaving by other means would be shot. But for some reason, shots were fired as soon as the police convoy reached the stadium, at 3:25 p.m.

By the time Major Mills got his men back under control, the police had fired 114 rounds of rifle ammunition, and an unknown amount of revolver ammunition as well, not counting 50 rounds fired from the machine guns in the armoured car outside the Park.[15] Seven people had been shot to death, and five more had been fatally wounded; another two people had been trampled to death by the crowd. The dead included Jeannie Boyle, who had gone to the match with her fiancé and was due to be married five days later, and two boys aged 10 and 11. Two football players, Michael Hogan and Jim Egan, had been shot; Hogan was killed, but Egan survived, along with dozens of other wounded and injured.

Agreed! He's a footballer -apparently- keep your political ideals to yourself Deegan! Get on with playing football. Have to say I'd be glad to see tha back of him after this. He should make a full apology to fans via the media. Many of us oldies were around in the seventies and remember the Birmingham pub bombings - look them up if your too young to have known about them- then tell me why we should put up with the little twat giving it the large. Would it be acceptable if we had a German player who bogged up the Nazis's? I don't think so Deegan is bloody idiot and the sooner he realises this the better. Can't believe any decent City fans would ever look at him in the same light again.
If we never see him in a city shirt again it will be too soon!

Sick Boy

How can you compare the IRA to the Nazis?

Should support for the British army also be banned on Twitter? There will be plenty of people who have family who have suffered thanks to them who would be offended, or is that ok?

psgm1

Banned
Gary Deegan

My uncle was part of the crew that had to go in after those scumbags sabotaged those soldiers in that car.

What they did was horrific - and this guy defends them!

I hope they cancel his contract immediately, and he NEVER plays football again.

UTTER DISGRACE.

Sterling Archer

Any news from the club about this? Considering who he is playing for and what league he is in, it was a retarded thing to say. I can't say I'd be too bothered about him leaving purely on football grounds, his passing for a midfielder is attrocious.

blueflint

bollocks

The way the British army behaved in Ireland was just as disgraceful.
what utter twallop dont put our army or other forces down they deserve better not gonna say anymore as dont want to start a war

ajsccfc

My uncle was part of the crew that had to go in after those scumbags sabotaged those soldiers in that car.

What they did was horrific - and this guy defends them!

I hope they cancel his contract immediately, and he NEVER plays football again.

UTTER DISGRACE.

I very much doubt he was actually defending them, more being very stupid and not realising exactly what he was saying.

smileycov

Facebook User
It is my understanding that he was having banter with McPakewho has elected to represent Northern Ireland over Scotland. Deegan put up the RA, aimed at McPake, Banter in bad taste possibly and misguided, hardly Supporting the IRA though is it!!! Think some have gone over the top and blown it all out of proportion. just my entitled opinion of course

matesx

I very much doubt he was actually defending them, more being very stupid and not realising exactly what he was saying.

common sense breaks out on SBT!!

SkyBlueJohnso

i'm not getting into the politics of the IRA, British Army, Nazi regime etc etc, but fact is he is a professional footballer, a role model to lots of young kids, in a position of responsibility, who would no doubt have terms in his contract or a code of conduct of what he can/cannot do or say. actively supporting an organistaion of a terrorist nature in the public domain is not acceptable and should be dealt with accordingly. using social networking sites is very dangerous for people in high profile positions like footballers, tv/film stars, celebrities etc and they are all well aware of the risks. having said that it can be used in so many positive ways and put them in touch with the real world and fans like all of us on here.

deegan needs to be punished accordingly, is sacking him the right answer? maybe!

SkyBlueJohnso

It is my understanding that he was having banter with McPakewho has elected to represent Northern Ireland over Scotland. Deegan put up theRA, aimed at McPake, Banter in bad taste possibly and misguided, hardly Supporting the IRAthough is it!!! Think some have gone over the top and blown it all out ofproportion. just my entitled opinion of course

proves again without knowing the full story - who are we to judge! if said as misguided banter then different to a blatant statement of support!!!

ericagradus

It is my understanding that he was having banter with McPakewho has elected to represent Northern Ireland over Scotland. Deegan put up the RA, aimed at McPake, Banter in bad taste possibly and misguided, hardly Supporting the IRA though is it!!! Think some have gone over the top and blown it all out of proportion. just my entitled opinion of course

Couldn't agree more.

He is actively supporting a terrorist group FFS! I have lots of friends from Ireland from both side of the 'divide' none of whom would ever dream of making statements on social media. He is a role model -poor one granted- but he has a responsibility towards fans. So without getting into a pointless argument I just think he should come out and make an apology he's already divivded the support of fans. How old are you SB? Old enough to remember the City fans in the West End singing Celtic, Rangers,Celtic, Rangers? That was banter, up the RA is not!

smileycov

Facebook User
He is actively supporting a terrorist group FFS! I have lots of friends from Ireland from both side of the 'divide' none of whom would ever dream of making statements on social media. He is a role model -poor one granted- but he has a responsibility towards fans. So without getting into a pointless argument I just think he should come out and make an apology he's already divivded the support of fans. How old are you SB? Old enough to remember the City fans in the West End singing Celtic, Rangers,Celtic, Rangers? That was banter, up the RA is not!

He has appologised, and removed it. He stated it was Banter between him and James. As i said Misguided and bad taste.

wilbertorama

Im from Dublin and have lived in Belfast, "up the RA" is a lot different than "up the IRA".....Up the RA is just slang for up the Irish!People should not make blanket statements about things unless they know what they are talking about, this is a non story!It would be like an English player tweeting Go Blighty! PC gone mad!!!

shy_tall_knight

Andy Goram played for us - after he was pictured holding a UVF flag, I doubt you can call a common chant like "up the RA" - active support, stupid but I doubt he has any strong views on the issue.

What will happen to Deegan by the club depends on many things but mostly financial, if Shitsu think he is too expenssive they will look to terminate his contract, or try to sell him but I think this is a storm in a tea cup but doesn't help the CCFC cause, especially if his own fans barrack him over this when as often his football is so poor he gets enough stick anyway. When will there be some good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread