Damien Collins interview - sisu/acl crucial decision for football league (1 Viewer)

skybluefred

Highfield Rd was a fabulous ground when standing was allowed, well able to support a Premiership team. With the introduction of all seater
stadia it could no longer hold sufficient numbers of fans to make it viable. Further more Coventry fans did not want to support a
struggling side that could not compete with the bigger clubs.

Richardson made a decision to build a new stadium with greater capacity, an idea that was correct because it would generate greater
revenue for CCFC. His big mistake was to try and build on contaminated land which was going to cost a fortune to clean up.

Richardson-Mcginnity-Robinson all lost vast sums of their own money in trying to make CCFC successful for the fans, they failed badly.

The darkest day in CCFC's History then occurred when sisu arrived. From day one of their tenure we have had disaster after disaster,
and still we have a small number of fans who support them.

The threads on this forum are all the same--fans resorting to verbally abusing one another over the same topic which has died
a hundred deaths.

Time to sit back and wait and see what happens because we cannot alter the outcome.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Highfield Rd was a fabulous ground when standing was allowed, well able to support a Premiership team. With the introduction of all seater
stadia it could no longer hold sufficient numbers of fans to make it viable. Further more Coventry fans did not want to support a
struggling side that could not compete with the bigger clubs.

Richardson made a decision to build a new stadium with greater capacity, an idea that was correct because it would generate greater
revenue for CCFC. His big mistake was to try and build on contaminated land which was going to cost a fortune to clean up.

Richardson-Mcginnity-Robinson all lost vast sums of their own money in trying to make CCFC successful for the fans, they failed badly.

The darkest day in CCFC's History then occurred when sisu arrived. From day one of their tenure we have had disaster after disaster,
and still we have a small number of fans who support them.

The threads on this forum are all the same--fans resorting to verbally abusing one another over the same topic which has died
a hundred deaths.

Time to sit back and wait and see what happens because we cannot alter the outcome.

I agree with a lot of your sentiments. Not sure whether the facts are as you portray about Richardson loss of vast sums.

I agree to build a new bigger stadium was the correct decision at the time. I hope it still is once the SISU debacle is OVER.

bigfatronssba

I'm not sure the contaminated land of the gasworks in itself was the biggest issue, except in that it required extra time to decontaminate as where the Ricoh project went wrong was the length of time it took to build. Whilst still in the Premiership moving made sense (selling your old ground before the new one is built is debatable though).
Anyway one of the biggest hold ups I remember was the group of travellers that had set up on the old gasworks that couldn't be moved. That greatly added to the build time.

Last edited:

ccfcway

People that are wrong and dont understand

Coventry Council
ACL
Higgs
The fans
Former Owners
Former players
CWR
CET
High Court judge
MP's

People who are right

SISU

People that are wrong and dont understand

Coventry Council
ACL
Higgs
The fans
Former Owners
Former players
CWR
CET
High Court judge
MP's

People who are right

SISU

You missed from the 'People that are Wrong' List: Sky Blue Trust, KCIC, Former Directors, David Conn & The Guardian. Tim is so wise and we are all so misled by these prejudiced, devious people. :sarcasm:

shmmeee

I think you may have your wires crossed about what I was disagreeing about. I don't want a rent reduction, it's too late for that. And having us back at the Ricoh, does nothing to appease me either. I don't want sisu at the Ricoh - I want them out of our club. I'll still be boycotting Sisu whether we're at the Ricoh or not!

Fair enough. That's your perogative.

Users who are viewing this thread