Coventry v Yeovil matchday thread (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

TEAM NEWS

Yeovil midfielder Gavin Williams is close to a comeback from a calf injury but the opening League One game against Coventry might come too soon.
Loanee Rohan Ince remains sidelined with a shin problem.
Coventry hope to have midfielders Adam Barton and John Fleck available for the trip to Huish Park.
Barton missed the midweek League Cup win over Dagenham because of international duty, while Fleck had a hamstring problem.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM

Yeovil Town manager Gary Johnson told BBC Somerset:
"It doesn't bother me that people think we are second favourites to go down.
"They're only going on the last few seasons, where the club has been struggling in the relegation zone.
"The bookies aren't here watching us during pre-season."

AFCCOVENTRY

Team news ahead of Saturday's League One clash between Yeovil and Coventry at Huish Park.

Yeovil boss Gary Johnson hopes to welcome Rohan Ince and Gavin Williams back into his side on the opening day of the season.

Chelsea loanee Ince has been struggling with a shin injury while Williams missed their midweek League Cup victory over Colchester with a calf injury.

Both players face a late fitness test and Johnson was forced to name only five substitutes out of a possible seven on Tuesday night.

Midfielder Keanu Marsh-Brown is pushing for a starting place after scoring from the bench in an impressive display. Gozie Ugwu or Sam Foley are the likely options to drop out.

Defender James McAllister, who returned to the club in the summer, is expected to be appointed captain for the season after being handed the armband for most of pre-season and for Tuesday night's win.

Coventry hope to welcome back Adam Barton and John Fleck.

Midfielder Barton, a summer signing from Preston, missed Tuesday's 1-0 Capital One Cup win at Dagenham & Redbridge due to international duty with the Republic of Ireland's Under-21 side, despite only recently returning from a dislocated ankle and broken leg.

Fleck, another summer arrival, also sat out of the cup triumph with a slight hamstring complaint sustained during pre-season.

ggrady

What's the betting if we draw/lose it will be because barton didn't play at dagenham and flecky isn't match fit. I do remember him saying no excuses this year so e better stick to that

AFCCOVENTRY

Yeovil are one of the favourites to go down so that means we can't be complaisant today. It's going to be a real hot day today so it isn't going to be 100mph football. It's going to be lethargic.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeovil won't go down, not under Johnson. He had them in the play-offs last time he was there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenging for them again this season looking at some of his shrewd signings.

Once again-the bookies are basing their odds on the market. Are there many people likely to back Yeovil? Nope. Will many back Preston, Coventry and Sheff U, regardless of what signings they make or players they lose? Hell, yeah.

Nonleagueherewecome

Is Jennings available to be picked?

My worry is a lack of fitness for him, Fleck and Barton if selected. It may well mean that Carl Baker has to carry the midfield today.

S

SkyBlue Baker96

ahh yeah cheers pal, my worry also is , obviously not all of them will be injured but if a few of them say Barton, Fleck and Jennings got injured our midfield would be very bare and look poor if certain of the first team don't step up

torchomatic

I like his quote about the bookies this week after being told they were one of the favourites to go down. He said that the bookies obviously hadn't seen them in training.

Yeovil won't go down, not under Johnson. He had them in the play-offs last time he was there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenging for them again this season looking at some of his shrewd signings.

Once again-the bookies are basing their odds on the market. Are there many people likely to back Yeovil? Nope. Will many back Preston, Coventry and Sheff U, regardless of what signings they make or players they lose? Hell, yeah.

Grendel

Well thorn said himself he expects promotion so let's see if he can deliver what the squad in his view is clearly capable of.

Grendel

I think we will win.

torchomatic

Yeah, I reckon we'll win today.

Grendel

I think other than the Sheffield game the fixture list is quite kind early on. I think we will have 16 points after 7 games and be top.
There will be lots of euphoria, lots of people telling me how great the manager is and then we will start to lose some games.
No wind up I think we will fly out the blocks.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Can't see many changes from Tuesday. Although Hussey was dire we have no replacement.

I'm interested to see how Barton, Fleck and Jennings are going to fit into an already packed midfield. Id like to think Sheff will be dropped, and Daniels was pretty non existent Tuesday for me, forgetting he was playing at times so he'll be the obviously choice to drop. But then what about Baker and Kilbane? Kilbane is captain so won't be dropped easily, although I struggle to see him playing the majority of the games in one season.....

coundonskyblue

<p>
I think other than the Sheffield game the fixture list is quite kind early on. I think we will have 16 points after 7 games and be top.</p>
<p>There will be lots of euphoria, lots of people telling me how great the manager is and then we will start to lose some games.</p>
<p>No wind up I think we will fly out the blocks.

Apart from last season, isn't that how we start every year?

Its just to make it even more painful im sure!

shmmeee

ahh yeah cheers pal, my worry also is , obviously not all of them will be injured but if a few of them say Barton, Fleck and Jennings got injured our midfield would be very bare and look poor if certain of the first team don't step up

Lots of ifs and nuts in that post. Even if our three arguably best midfielders get injured at the same time, this is our midfield:

Kilbane
Thomas Baker
McSheffrey

And we still have this in reserve:

Daniels
Bell garner
Ruffles

I think well be OK.

Ccfcisparks

Starting line up:
#CoventryCity XI v #YeovilTown - Murphy, Hussey, Brown, Wood, Clarke, Kilbane (c), Fleck, Daniels, Barton, Ball, McDonald

torchomatic

What's the bench?

PVA

Very strong bench. Probably as strong as we've had for a couple of years.

TBH I'd rather Brown played as the holding midfielder with Malaga at CB.

torchomatic

Thanks, Parks. Even the bench looks good! Makes a change from last season. It's nice to know when we change things a senior player is coming on.

pusbccfc

Bit surprised? Daniels starting...?
When there's Baker + Jennings on the bench?
Only two players bar the goalkeeper were regulars last season? Very risky!

Users who are viewing this thread