Match Thread Coventry v Watford (1 Viewer)

Frostie

Watford were awful against QPR. Their left back was right footed and really struggled. They won’t play like that again.

I think I read that Deeney and Gray have one goal from open play between them. Odds on a goal each for them then.

1 open play goal each rather than between them.
One guess who Gray's goal was against...

Briles

Robins put all his eggs in one basket for the last 3 games, completely unchanged (Bar Dabo Injury) in an attempt to gain maximum points. He is going to have to rotate now, and this will be against teams where we would need our strongest 11 to get any sort of result. I expect some very defensive peformances coming up.

Paxman II

I worry about M.Callum. He has been off his game of late, so needs to improve.
Rose will be back. Allen to come in with just one up front.

Can get a result here, but need to be at our confident best from the get go.

Colin Steins Smile

I also worry about McCallum as we've seen a few opposition teams have given me the impression of channelling more attacks on his side.

As for team selection, I'm concerned that having two players test positive for Covid that we could lose someone else before Saturday and given that we are short of a number of key players....thats a worry.

edgy

I also worry about McCallum as we've seen a few opposition teams have given me the impression of channelling more attacks on his side.

As for team selection, I'm concerned that having two players test positive for Covid that we could lose someone else before Saturday and given that we are short of a number of key players....thats a worry.

Get it called off then. Like a few teams have done against us.

cc84cov

The weak link

Any opposition that’s done their homework will target him

Otis

Oh.

I gave that a like but then realised you said "get go", so I will take it back.

Frostie

Definitely better as a wing-back than in a back 4, indeed it's a better system for the whole team really.

cc84cov

I think McCallum gets some very unfair criticism all be it he has not been at his best - still keeps the shirt for me.....it's either him or the youngster from Ross County who I definitely would not throw into the mix for this game!
Of course he keeps the shirt he’s the golden boy we sent giles packing

Rugby Sky Blue

Another tough game but we weren’t awful against them at Vicarage are last time out. A great Hamer header for us

Kyle will be back and we saw Rose and Dacosta back. No idea how close Walker is and we really need him back.

We looked much more comfortable with wingbacks and Dacosta is a starter. Does O’Hare need a rest? Allen should get a chance.
Yeah Queens Park Rangers got lucky which was unfortunate for us as Watford had a very disjointed team out players playing out of position and players who hadn't featured all season playing. They had a teenage right back at left back Will Hughes playing on the wing and half their under 23's on the bench. Not sure what the reason for this was but if they play similar line up against us I fancy an upset. If they have a full team out tbough I wouldn't put money on us scoring as they are very good defensively.

Rugby Sky Blue

Hmm Watford play my favourite 4-4-2 as a rule....however don't think we now have the players to match them.

I think we go 3-4-1-2 - QPR got a lot of joy down the right so hopefully Dacosta can get at them down that side too.
Think I would line up with the following team injuries/illness taken into account

Marosi

Osti Rose Hyam

DaCosta James Hamer McCallum

O'Hare

Gyokeres Biamou

Subs: Bilson, Pask, Sheaf, Shipley, Allen, Eccles, Jobello, Bapaga, Walker (Fingers crossed he's fit enough for the bench.
Problem with Watford against QPR was that they had a teenager who was not a left back playing at left back and they had Hughes playing left wing as Sema had been out injured. When they brought Sema on late on he ripped QPR to bits so I assume that he will be starting on Saturday. Both Watfords wing backs were out against QPR but if Massina and Kiko femenia are available they certainly wont be weak down the wings.

cov donkey kick

Problem with Watford against QPR was that they had a teenager who was not a left back playing at left back and they had Hughes playing left wing as Sema had been out injured. When they brought Sema on late on he ripped QPR to bits so I assume that he will be starting on Saturday. Both Watfords wing backs were out against QPR but if Massina and Kiko femenia are available they certainly wont be weak down the wings.
Reckon that'll be the team.

cc84cov

Anyone who’s done their research will now be attacking the full backs more than ever Hyam a right footed CB will not be unnoticed either will mccallum’s struggles

clint van damme

It's Hyam who is the weak link, they get in the gap between Hyam and Mccallum, whereas Osti tends to be more alert / mobile

I also think Hamer tends to naturally drift to that side to offer some support to the RB/RWB but the only player who offers anything like that on the left is Shipley who in general just doesn't look up to this level, the whole left hand side needs looking at and has done for some time.

Grendel

It's Hyam who is the weak link, they get in the gap between Hyam and Mccallum, whereas Osti tends to be more alert / mobile

Yep he’s nowhere near the level required

shmmeee

I also think Hamer tends to naturally drift to that side to offer some support to the RB/RWB but the only player who offers anything like that on the left is Shipley who in general just doesn't look up to this level, the whole left hand side needs looking at and has done for some time.

Exactly this, though the shape we go to off the ball in 433 it’s almost Györkeres’ job to cover McCallum and Sheaf/James tucks inside. When we went 532, I didn’t think James came across as well as Hamer. Like you say could be Hamer having played RWB is more comfortable doing that.

Is Hilßner isn’t going to be competitive we need a LCM in in the summer to fill that roles Shipley plays. And we’re desperate for a LCB. I think having a left footed ball playing CB would improve us offensively so much as well. Roses use of the ball from the right yesterday showed what an impact it can make.

steve101

I am concerned if Rose is expected to play 90 minutes against Watford due to his lack of game time and risk of further injury. The same can be said of Dacosta. Pask looks far too awkward in the wing-back role. I would go for Rowe on the bench.

AFCCOVENTRY

I am concerned if Rose is expected to play 90 minutes against Watford due to his lack of game time and risk of further injury. The same can be said of Dacosta. Pask looks far too awkward in the wing-back role. I would go for Rowe on the bench.

Kyle is back tomorrow at training after completing self isolation.

shmmeee

I think I’d bring McFadz in, Rose needs time in short bursts or U23s ideally, and even when fit I’m not sure who drops out the back line. I’d say Hyam but the others will have the same problem being right footed. We’ve missed Fadz at set pieces though I think.

Users who are viewing this thread