Match Thread Coventry v Northampton Match Thread - Saturday 27th Aug (3 Viewers)

Great_Expectations

Another frustrating first half. We've been by far the better team. I'm not a fan of the formation, but at least today the players look as though they understand it more.

Sordells first touch is poor and he should have had at least one. However, it's his first game back so I won't write him off yet.

Probably Jones for Sordell at the 60 minute mark.

Despite the score line, we shouldn't be too disheartened by the performer. Saying that, I'd happily take a shit performance and 3 points.

Ref is abysmal.

PVA

Simple question, but why lower down the leagues do managers go for flashy formations? Our best time under Pressley was a bog standard 4-4-2, when players are a bit less quick in thought it's easier, and a quick winger crossing to a big bastard in the middle... at least you create some chances now and again.

(I reserve the right to revise this opinion if we win 5-1 and then go on a 10 game winning streak)

In fairness we had Clarke and Wilson up front then.

That's 40 goals a season. We don't have one striker anywhere near as good as them, let alone two at once.

ccfcway

True but have a look at the away stats aswell

5th game today and only let in more than one goal once.

If you let in 1 or less a game, you stand a decent chance of getting something out of it.

We are just not getting the breaks at the other end at the moment.

Johnnythespider

Where's that? Saw a police van blue lighting it to the Wheatsheaf. Bizarrely also saw a load of stewards going round to corporate after 30 mins, surely it hasn't kicked off in there!
Down the road from the sheaf, not sure of all details as I was inside when this old boy came in with blood streaming down his face.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

stupot07

Frustrating and disjointed. Don't deserve to be losing but lack of composure And quality in the final third means we dong deserve to be winning either. The forward 3 don't look right to me, Tudguy is far too casual on the ball. We keep ignoring the right hand side. That said ghadzev and McCann are playing well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Simple question, but why lower down the leagues do managers go for flashy formations? Our best time under Pressley was a bog standard 4-4-2, when players are a bit less quick in thought it's easier, and a quick winger crossing to a big bastard in the middle... at least you create some chances now and again.

(I reserve the right to revise this opinion if we win 5-1 and then go on a 10 game winning streak)

Mowbray would probably argue do we have the players for 442. But I'd say Reid can accommodate on the wings. Ruben or even Haynes the other? Clearly got a few CM's to choose from. As today shows we have 3 who can play up top (OK, not very well but they're out and out strikers by trade......allegedly ;) ) and defence we have four who can play

stupot07

Mowbray would probably argue do we have the players for 442. But I'd say Reid can accommodate on the wings. Ruben or even Haynes the other? Clearly got a few CM's to choose from. As today shows we have 3 who can play up top (OK, not very well but they're out and out strikers by trade......allegedly ;) ) and defence we have four who can play
Reid and Jones could easy play on the wing in a 442 and like you say Ruben or Haynes could fill in. You look at the squad and it favours a 442 far more than a 343 that we're currently playing.

johnwillomagic

Well I did say if TM plays 4-4-2 we will win and if he doesnt we will draw! Team screams out for 4-4-2 with subs he could easily switch to this second half.....
we will see have been ok first half though.

Warwickhunt

This is the best football I have seen this season Sordell can hold the ball and Agyie is causing problems. The forwards are quite mobile which makes good watching. I would say 53% city possession I know we are 1 down which I think we do not deserve to be. But I am actually comfortable watching the game providing TM doesn't fucking it up at half time we could pull it back

NorthernWisdom

Well... Reid is surely the best example of someone who's best suited for 4-4-2?

I don't quite understand why we've signed him to play in a different system to what he's used to. Appreciate it's still early days, but seems... odd.

covhead1

5th game today and only let in more than one goal once.

If you let in 1 or less a game, you stand a decent chance of getting something out of it.

We are just not getting the breaks at the other end at the moment.
I admire your optimism, I wish I could share it :)

stupot07

Not really. He's a winger, wingers like playing as high up the pitch as possible i.e in a 3, not in a midfield 4 where they have to track back more.
Got to disagree with this. Most people who play a front 3 don't play out and put wingers, much better in a 4 where they can hug the touchline and supply the front men. A good example is united in their pomp with giggs on the left and kencheslkis on the right.

Grendel

Got to disagree with this. Most people who play a front 3 don't play out and put wingers, much better in a 4 where they can hug the touchline and supply the front men. A good example is united in their pomp with giggs on the left and kencheslkis on the right.

Agree. Also given reids lack of goals in his career he is not a front 3 player. Today we have two out and out forwards playing wide in the 3 and tudgay starting in the middle.

What is they about?

Users who are viewing this thread