Coventry Talbot (1 Viewer)

Legia Sky Blue

Anyone remember when Jimmy Hill was Chairman that he wanted to change the club name? A lot of our younger supporters may not be aware that JH was unpopular with a large proportion of our support at the time, who were not keen on some of his ideas like all seater stadia, our investment in US soccer, and of course wanting to rename us Coventry Talbot, and I was bitterly opposed to the idea myself.

Anyhow when I read the other week that the Ref Bull F1 guy is a City fan, it got me thinking whether I would now take us changing our name to Red Bull Coventry, if SISU were to sell up, and Red Bull wanted to make us their English club. I know there is probably zilch chance of it happening, but I reckon I would accept that now, as long as I thought it would progress the club, which it would surely do. After all, clubs have changed their names before, and effectively remained the same outfit, retaining the same identity and history, and of course we already changed name ourselves, given that in the first 15 years of our history we were Singers FC.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Red Bull Coventry. A change of colours and crest as well no doubt. They can f@ck right off with that.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Ha ha - damn this 'sky blue' thing!!
An elephant sitting on a football. How ridiculous. It'll never catch on. Lord knows what the red bull badge would look like .

chiefdave

This seems to come up regularly. Even the EFL would draw a line at changing a club name to Red Bull so they'd just be sponsors. If they want to pump huge amounts of money in to get the stadium and club I'd quite happily go to the Red Bull arena and watch us play in a slightly different shade of blue in line with what their other clubs wear.

ccfcway

i suspect the EFL would put a stop to it. Didn't TNS FC "Total network solutions" change their name away from the sponsor ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

…OMG.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Could we become Coventry Red Bull Elephants?

I'd have no problem with us playing in red (with a bit of green) as they are after all the city colours.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What do you mean? The Talbot Solara and sunbeam were great motors and very economical and cheap to maintain. Spare parts also readily available-Rowleys scrap yard was full of them!
As I said, I knew nothing about cars then . Not much better at it now.

Legia Sky Blue

i suspect the EFL would put a stop to it. Didn't TNS FC "Total network solutions" change their name away from the sponsor ?

Would they though? The EFL seem quite flexible with their rules when it suits them, if you think about their previous dealings in regard of fit & proper ownership, or us playing within a certain distance from the City Centre. Also in terms of Red Bull (and unlike JH's plan with Talbot), they actually own their football clubs as well as sponsor them.

CJ_covblaze

It’d be a no from me. If they ever came sniffing around it’d be for Wasps and ACL again.

Alkhen

Changed to The New Saints to retain the TNS initials I think. Isn't there an Airbus United in Wales too?

Alkhen

I recon I'd stretch to 'RB Coventry City' maximum, they can leave the badge and shirt colour but could live with a massive sponsor

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
We have . The Talbot one I hated. I always associated Talbot with absolutely crap cars. What did I know though. I couldn't drive then.
I was the same with Tallon, the pen sponsor. I got annoyed because we were never allowed pens where I lived. We had to use crayons! Much safer!

SkyBlueSoul

We would be fine. RB Coventry City play in the same colours as the sugar free version, Sky Blue. Everyone's a winner.

I’d be happy with RB before the name. Kit wise we’d just look like Blackburn from last season

1f5ce88c32d479edb65444bce0ef458a.jpg

Grendel

Was it Hull who wanted to change the name but couldn't?
Gave up following the 20/20 when it became the Birmingham bears. Found it offensive to all warks fans outside Birmingham.

It was Hull yes

Users who are viewing this thread