Coventry Council WILL support a new stadium... (1 Viewer)

chickentikkamasala

within Coventry.

Holbrooks site could provide solution to keep club in city, says leading councillor, Coventry City Council would support an application to build a new stadium within the city boundary, according to the man responsible for the city’s development.

Coun Kevin Maton, cabinet member for business and the man behind the city’s plans for physical and economic growth over the next 20 years, has said the council would support an application from Sky Blues’ owners Sisu to build a new home in the city.
Football club officials say the club needs to own its own home in order to be financially sustainable.
They claim to be progressing plans for a new permanent base in the “Coventry area” – although many supporters have called the plans into question after lengthy delays.
Club officials have also previously hinted that a base within the city boundary was unlikely due to the owners’ fractured relationship with the council.But Coun Maton insisted any application would be treated fairly.
He said: “Of course we would support them in the same way we would support any other organisation.
“If we made a perverse planning decision, just because we didn’t like the owners, they would appeal and they would win.
“The decision would be reversed and we would get a hefty fine. You can’t refuse applications on the basis of who is applying.”
Coun Maton even suggested there could be an appropriate site which meant the club didn’t have to leave the city.

He said: “The only one I can think of is the former Dunlop site in Holbrooks, which is in sight of the Ricoh.“Any site is likely to be tricky to develop. There are no easy sites, even the few large brownfield sites we have left.
“I know the owners of the Holbrooks site are looking for a housing value, so it is not going to come cheaply.”
He added: “Anything with a stadium is going to generate traffic. There would be a number of other issues to consider too, including parking.”
Coventry City bosses insist significant progress has been made on the new stadium plans and that supporters can expect news in the New Year.
Premiership rugby side Wasps recently took control of the Ricoh Arena, a move which CCFC’s owners says leaves them with no option but to build their own stadium.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/new-coventry-city-fc-ground-8360998

Although it is made very clear the council could not refuse on the basis of the applicant, or they will end up in court again :)

So my question is, how would you feel if the stadium is built in Holbrooks on the former Dunlop site?

torchomatic

And Council's apparently don't agree with "ripping a club from it's community", but hey, needs must right?

bigfatronssba

And Council's apparently don't agree with "ripping a club from it's community", but hey, needs must right?

So you disagree with him where he says this?:

“If we made a perverse planning decision, just because we didn’t like the owners, they would appeal and they would win.
“The decision would be reversed and we would get a hefty fine. You can’t refuse applications on the basis of who is applying.”

wafw1971

Dunlop location is not big enough and the traffic would be a nightmare. I think Coventry Airport area is the location (if there is a location at all) and that comes under Warwick COuncil. Perhaps Coventry Council can see that they will be losing another cash cow (rates etc) with us moving (I know its very doubtful)

Otis

Dunlop location is not big enough and the traffic would be a nightmare. I think Coventry Airport area is the location (if there is a location at all) and that comes under Warwick COuncil. Perhaps Coventry Council can see that they will be losing another cash cow (rates etc) with us moving (I know its very doubtful)

Yep. Traffic would be an absolute nightmare. I travel that route every day and it's already clogged most of the time.

Anyone else think this is just the council being quite clever in expectation of a Sisu statement decalring that the new stadium has to be built so many miles away because they cannot build in Coventry? :whistle:

wafw1971

Yep. Traffic would be an absolute nightmare. I travel that route every day and it's already clogged most of the time.

Anyone else think this is just the council being quite clever in expectation of a Sisu statement declaring that the new stadium has to be built so many miles away because they cannot build in Coventry? :whistle:

I agree, the Council especially Coun Kevin Maton are conniving and calculated and only look out for them selves. I don't trust any of them.

wafw1971

FFS can we give this bullshit a rest, their wont be a fucking new stadium, they have no plans whatsoever.

You know what I used to agree with you, but and its a big BUT I think they do have plans and a location this doesn't mean they will ever build it. I have to say i would love a new stadium now because going to the Ricoh is turning into a nightmare.

bigfatronssba

Anyone else think this is just the council being quite clever in expectation of a Sisu statement decalring that the new stadium has to be built so many miles away because they cannot build in Coventry? :whistle:

All the council have done here is clarify the planning process, and that whilst Joy Seppala will base the future of the club based on spite, the council cannot involve spite in the planning process.

Had Sisu actually done something in regards to a new stadium over the past 3 years then there probably would have been somewhere in Coventry for them.

LB87ccfc

You know what I used to agree with you, but and its a big BUT I think they do have plans and a location this doesn't mean they will ever build it. I have to say i would love a new stadium now because going to the Ricoh is turning into a nightmare.

That is because the Ricoh has been a nightmare since day one IMO

bigfatronssba

They haven't got plans because they havent discussed anything with the relevant authorities.

What they might have at best is an idea. Which frankly means nothing.

wafw1971

They haven't got plans because they havent discussed anything with the relevant authorities.

The thing is the FOI that the "Trust" sent to the relevant authorities was answered but the relevant authorities do not have to divulge private and "business confidential" information and i'm afraid land purchases are in this category.

italiahorse

Why is it a nightmare ?

LB87ccfc

The thing is the FOI that the "Trust" sent to the relevant authorities was answered but the relevant authorities do not have to divulge private and "business confidential" information and i'm afraid land purchases are in this category.

How can you honestly believe anything SISU have said about this fantasy they have? continuous cost cutting at every level of the business, and not a fucking penny to purchase a player for cold hard cash, and you really think they would have the finances to build fantasy land, I mean comon, seriously, your better than this.

torchomatic

And yet he said the football club should NOT be given any control over the arena as we could not be trusted. YEt perversely agreed to sell to a rugby team moving 80 miles to a new area with absolutely no affinity with them or their fans. Presumably, you agree with that.

I'm sure when Otis and others sending begging letters to the council they were backed by Councillor Maton.

So you disagree with him where he says this?:

torchomatic

Dwindling gates at a soulless bowl with Wasps regalia everywhere will also not help to purchase a player for "cold hard cash", will it?

How can you honestly believe anything SISU have said about this fantasy they have? continuous cost cutting at every level of the business, and not a fucking penny to purchase a player for cold hard cash, and you really think they would have the finances to build fantasy land, I mean comon, seriously, your better than this.

italiahorse

Hopefully they are using the stadium talk to secure a good deal for the club at the Ricoh.
A stadium is financial suicide and still leaves the club at the mercy of Sisu as the club won't own it.

Anybody daft enough to think the club will own the stadium and why ?

torchomatic

You could also be talking about staying at the Ricoh.

A stadium is financial suicide and still leaves the club at the mercy of Sisu as the club won't own it.

Anybody daft enough to think the club will own the stadium and why ?

Glen

Well if we do (and i do not think we will) build a ground outside City now we all have to fucking not go.

bigfatronssba

That simply isn't true. The authorities can refuse to answer a question, they cannot respond to an foi request with a lie under any circumstances.

No planning discussions have taken place.

wafw1971

I don't believe SISU, the Council and any type of person in "charge" they are all liars, con artists. Not one of them gives a shit about you, me or any other CCFC supporter all they care about is themselves.

I wish we the fans could come up with a way of buying the club but we would at least £30 million and i'm afraid I don't have that kind of cash lying about.

italiahorse

Dwindling gates at a soulless bowl with Wasps regalia everywhere will also not help to purchase a player for "cold hard cash", will it?

Its all we have to work with.
We could plaster the inside with CCFC stuff if we wanted too but that would need some commitment from the club.
The stadium do wind away the massive Wasps flags over the tunnels for CCFC games at least.

torchomatic

At least we would (or SISU would) have something to sell to someone. What is there now that a potential new owner would be interested in?

No it won't so what you saying ? a new stadium plunging us further into SISU's debt will help us fund players?

bigfatronssba

And yet he said the football club should NOT be given any control over the arena as we could not be trusted. YEt perversely agreed to sell to a rugby team moving 80 miles to a new area with absolutely no affinity with them or their fans. Presumably, you agree with that.

I'm sure when Otis and others sending begging letters to the council they were backed by Councillor Maton.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have sisu anywhere near the Ricoh.

Anyway, you haven't answered my question. Maton was quoting the law, and he is correct. So I don't see how you can disagree with him.

torchomatic

We would have to ask Wasps first, wouldn't we? It's not our stadium so we can't just do what we want. That is the problem.

Its all we have to work with.
We could plaster the inside with CCFC stuff if we wanted too but that would need some commitment from the club.
The stadium do wind away the massive Wasps flags over the tunnels for CCFC games at least.

bigfatronssba

Even when it was full, Chelsea, JPT Final (Semi-Final) it was dead. I cannot remember a good time up there to be honest.

Bollocks.

Users who are viewing this thread