Coventry Council-City Fans bollox. (1 Viewer)

shepardo01

Throughout all the shit between all the involved parties one thing has been consistent-that is the key players in the council namely Lucas,
Duggins and Ridley say that they are Coventry City fans.

It’s another aspect of this whole sordid affair that really pisses me off.

If any of us were in their shoes it wouldn’t have gone this far.

We wouldn’t have sold the ground built for Coventry City football team to a rugby club from London.

We would have given the profits of the land sale from TESCO to the Football Club. (Or at least shared them!)

We wouldn’t be celebrating Coventry as a City of sport while watching action less as the clubs 136 history teeters on the brink of collapse.

We wouldn’t have backtracked on statements made that tied the sale of the the ground build for the football club to the ongoing future of CCFC or Coventry RUFC.

If COVENTRY CITY COUNCIL were Coventry City FC fans they wouldn’t have let personal agendas get in the way of supporting there football team. They would have seen past the short termism and realised that SISU wouldn’t have been here forever.

Owners come and go but football teams always stay constant. How many owners have we had in 136 years?

As fans of CCFC we would never had even considered any of the above. We would have never let it go this far. Any sane fan would never jeopardise our 136 year history because of their hatred towards our owners.

It’s time for Coventry City Council to start being Coventry City Supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
(Excuse the caps here, just SO frustrated..) ITS ALSO TIME FOR COVENTRY CITY SUPPORTERS TO SUPPORT THE CLUB AGAINST WASPS AND NOT SYMPATHISE WITH THEM.... ANY CCFC FAN WHO WANTS THE CLUB AT THE RICOH SHOULD STAND UP AGAINST WASPS.... WHO ARE REFUSING TO DO A DEAL FOR CCFC TO PLAY AT THE RICOH!!! FORGET ABOUT "LEGALS" AND BACK THE CLUB, NOT F**KING WASPS!! THEY HAVE DONE A DEAL WITH LEGALS IN THE BACKGROUND BEFORE... IF THEY/THE COUNCIL ARE CLEAN THEN WHAT HAVE THEY GOT TO LOSE.....????????????????? (OR WHAR HAVE THEY GO TO HIDE???)

shepardo01

On top of the above, and in line with thread title,
The coucil WILL NOT deal with SISU. There are many CCFC fans dealing with/have dealt with the stadium since its inception and through its spats with the club and SISU. They were linning up wasps BEFORE we went to Sixfields- FACT... even mentioned in council doc released by CCFC as part of last weeks statement. Many of these CCFC supporters will not go to the Ricoh whilst SISU are part of CCFC and I know that they will NOT deal with SISU WHATEVER THE COST TO CCFC....
They are using WASPS as a buffer and highly likely leaning on them regarding the current stance.
(Have a look at les reids tweets re ccfc/ccc dealings)

Last edited:

skyblueeyesrevisited

(Excuse the caps here, just SO frustrated..) ITS ALSO TIME FOR COVENTRY CITY SUPPORTERS TO SUPPORT THE CLUB AGAINST WASPS AND NOT SYMPATHISE WITH THEM.... ANY CCFC FAN WHO WANTS THE CLUB AT THE RICOH SHOULD STAND UP AGAINST WASPS.... WHO ARE REFUSING TO DO A DEAL FOR CCFC TO PLAY AT THE RICOH!!! FORGET ABOUT "LEGALS" AND BACK THE CLUB, NOT F**KING WASPS!! THEY HAVE DONE A DEAL WITH LEGALS IN THE BACKGROUND BEFORE... IF THEY/THE COUNCIL ARE CLEAN THEN WHAT HAVE THEY GOT TO LOSE.....????????????????? (OR WHAR HAVE THEY GO TO HIDE???)
Stop shouting we are not deaf!

Fergusons_Beard

Again I think you make an excellent couple of points but what do you think they can do? They were / are huge fans of the club John and Ann had season tickets for decades so they were / are honestly. So what do you think led them to do it? And what can they practically do to stop Sisu destroying what’s left?

Pete my original point still stands.

They cannot possibly be ‘huge fans of the club’ like I said none of us would have ever let the ground built for our football club be sold to a rugby club. End of.

I’m sorry as a fan absolutely nothing would have led me to doing that-tantamount to pulling the rug from underneath he club.

What could they have done? For a start they should not have said that their statement of making sure that the sale of the Ricoh to Wasps would impact negatively on CCFC & CRUFC was only a 4 year thing....

You answer points with questions & deep down I know that you realise that Lucas et al have badly let down Coventry City FC, the people of Coventry and the supporters.

Sky Blue Pete

They cannot possibly be ‘huge fans of the club’ like I said none of us would have ever let the ground built for our football club be sold to a rugby club. End of.

I’m sorry as a fan absolutely nothing would have led me to doing that-tantamount to pulling the rug from underneath he club.

What could they have done? For a start they should not have said that their statement of making sure that the sale of the Ricoh to Wasps would impact negatively on CCFC & CRUFC was only a 4 year thing....

You answer points with questions & deep down I know that you realise that Lucas et al have badly let down Coventry City FC, the people of Coventry and the supporters.

Not very deep down. I’m trying to be armed with arguments when my next argument takes place with them as the mantra seems to be it was the only possible decision at the time and Sisu have made their bed and now have to lie in it.

It’s interesting that you can’t square the fans selling the Ricoh from underneath the club. I respect that opinion but knowing the individuals they were absolutely fans like you and me AND did sell the club from underneath the fans.

I wonder what is in store over the next couple of months

OffenhamSkyBlue

Not very deep down. I’m trying to be armed with arguments when my next argument takes place with them as the mantra seems to be it was the only possible decision at the time and Sisu have made their bed and now have to lie in it.

It’s interesting that you can’t square the fans selling the Ricoh from underneath the club. I respect that opinion but knowing the individuals they were absolutely fans like you and me AND did sell the club from underneath the fans.

Home shirts for £30 a pop!

Fergusons_Beard

It’s interesting you still call them fans after they agreed to sell the Ricoh to a rugby club.

What positives for the football club did they think as fans would ever come out of that deal?

Also I see you don’t mention my point about the ‘mission impossible’ self destruct after 4 years statement about the Ricoh sale having no negative impact on the club.

What’s in store in the next couple of months? A shit storm created by THAT sale by the Council to WASPS.

Sorry Pete as far as I’m concerned as a fan you’d have never even considered selling the club done the river (because that’s what they’ve done).

A true fan would after making THAT decision try everything in their power to help the club they support and make things right.

Nothing Lucas et al have done since that decision was made indicates that they are doing everything in their power to put things right in fact quite the opposite.

That’s the indication that they can’t possibly be fans of CCFC-that they sit idly by as our great club stands at the precipice of extinction.

Nick

Administrator
Again, out of interest how many of them go to games to support CCFC without a big song and dance about it?

Fergusons_Beard

Again, out of interest how many of them go to games to support CCFC without a big song and dance about it?

Yes Pete says they were ‘season ticket’ holders but I know councillors receive free tickets-how many times did they go paying out of their own pocket.

Do they still go now?

Sky Blue Pete

It’s interesting you still call them fans after they agreed to sell the Ricoh to a rugby club.

What positives for the football club did they think as fans would ever come out of that deal?

Also I see you don’t mention my point about the ‘mission impossible’ self destruct after 4 years statement about the Ricoh sale having no negative impact on the club.

What’s in store in the next couple of months? A shit storm created by THAT sale by the Council to WASPS.

Sorry Pete as far as I’m concerned as a fan you’d have never even considered selling the club done the river (because that’s what they’ve done).

A true fan would after making THAT decision try everything in their power to help the club they support and make things right.

Nothing Lucas et al have done since that decision was made indicates that they are doing everything in their power to put things right in fact quite the opposite.

That’s the indication that they can’t possibly be fans of CCFC-that they sit idly by as our great club stands at the precipice of extinction.

I’m sorry I completely agree about the caveat of adding something like 4 years or as far as it is down to us given sisu’s current and future legal action. They didn’t say that. The excuse I get from Labour Party members is how could they know the future well no shit the future often mirrors the past so don’t make the statement and don’t hide behind it now cllr Duggins

I think it’s fair enough to throw that back at me about still calling them fans and like I say your points are well made.

I have thought about getting involved in local politics and if this had come up I think the only possible way of managing that conflict of interests is to absent yourself from the vote. As you would hope they all had a conflict of interest it would be a given and the decision they had was to secure the future of the Ricoh but how?

Wasps had an offer and have clearly brought a measure of investment over and above the few millions paid for the Ricoh. So this has benefitted the broader community of coventry.

Think you are right this situation was and is always going to be a shit storm caused by that decision to sell the stadium to a third party.

I suppose a true fan could have said its with a heavy heart that I voted or as a sky blues fan I recognise the dangers of this decision etc but ultimately that decision has put the ongoing viability of the city’s almost 140 year old institution at risk and passing the blame completely over to the hedge fund that don’t give a shit about the city or it appears the club was something they could and should be putting right as far as they are able

Thanks this is useful for getting my thoughts in line

Sky Blue Pete

Yes Pete says they were ‘season ticket’ holders but I know councillors receive free tickets-how many times did they go paying out of their own pocket.

Do they still go now?

Cllr Lucas doesn’t go and hasn’t for a while cllr mutton always used to be up there but not seen him for a while. A businessman friend who was linked with some moves for a buy out is banned and doesn’t have a nice word to say for Sisu and how they treated fans. Again I know joy sepalla has been shocked at the vitriol and hatred from the council. Can’t see why. Maybe in the USA it is all smiles and slaps on the back and knives in the back and that’s ok but telling someone to their face that they won’t ever get their hands on an asset is not the done thing

I’m pretty sure it was always felt Sisu would leave the club and new owners would take over and make new relationships and whoever thought that was monumentally wrong

Sky Blue Pete

What investment have they brought?
Nowhere near as much as was expected. Jobs and funding for the machinery and community work that is involved behind a top echelon rugby club. Hundreds of jobs I would have thought and all that goes with the economic impact of them spending money and the fans spending money when in the area. I have no figures but I’m sure economic benefits are a given

Nick

Administrator
Nowhere near as much as was expected. Jobs and funding for the machinery and community work that is involved behind a top echelon rugby club. Hundreds of jobs I would have thought and all that goes with the economic impact of them spending money and the fans spending money when in the area. I have no figures but I’m sure economic benefits are a given

Maybe while the councillors reel this off to you, you can ask them to compare it to the loss of CCFC ;)

Sky Blue Pete

Maybe while the councillors reel this off to you, you can ask them to compare it to the loss of CCFC ;)
Absolutely right! Economically of course. but more so emotionally and historically it’s just insane. Can still recall my dad taking me up in 78 or so and my father in law talk about about the early 60’s and my 12 year old assumes he will tell his grand children about the lowest point in 2016 when we were relagated. You can’t play games with that

NorthernWisdom

Wasps had an offer and have clearly brought a measure of investment over and above the few millions paid for the Ricoh. So this has benefitted the broader community of coventry.
Pete, I appreciate the way you argue your points, but I must take issue with this.

On one measurement, maybe the Wasps move does benefit the broader community. I'd argue it actually costs however, in the long term. There's nothing Wasps are doing that CRFC couldn't have done with the right investment, and as CRFC have greater ties to the city, they'd be more likely to base any training ground in the city, along with increasing 'brand awareness', for wont of a better term, of the city of Coventry - that's something Wasps don't bring, as they're indeterminate.

The Wasps move also handicaps the football club post SISU (and, if they wanted to engineer a regime change, then they clearly apprec iate SISU will not stay forever) and potentially costs more as a result in terms of investment into the wider comnmunity, and awareness, and identity, and civic pride.

Take away the sporting clubs, and the investment in hotels etc. is something that could be done in a myriad of other ways, it doesn't need a rugby club moving in to achieve it.

I don't see how selling the Ricoh to Wasps is of benefit in the slightest to the city, apart from in the immediate future of the sale, and washing their hands of a toxic asset.

letsallsingtogether

Sorry, can I clarify that you mean this was told to Seppala's face?
Well she told us to our faces at the Christ the King meeting we would never go back and she was building a new ground.
So what people say and what people actually mean are usually two different things.
Just in this case she got caught with her Knickers down.
It ok playing hard ball to get your own way problem is when you come up against someone from the same stubborn mould as yourself.

Sky Blue Pete

Pete, I appreciate the way you argue your points, but I must take issue with this.

On one measurement, maybe the Wasps move does benefit the broader community. I'd argue it actually costs however, in the long term. There's nothing Wasps are doing that CRFC couldn't have done with the right investment, and as CRFC have greater ties to the city, they'd be more likely to base any training ground in the city, along with increasing 'brand awareness', for wont of a better term, of the city of Coventry - that's something Wasps don't bring, as they're indeterminate.

The Wasps move also handicaps the football club post SISU (and, if they wanted to engineer a regime change, then they clearly apprec iate SISU will not stay forever) and potentially costs more as a result in terms of investment into the wider comnmunity, and awareness, and identity, and civic pride.

Take away the sporting clubs, and the investment in hotels etc. is something that could be done in a myriad of other ways, it doesn't need a rugby club moving in to achieve it.

I don't see how selling the Ricoh to Wasps is of benefit in the slightest to the city, apart from in the immediate future of the sale, and washing their hands of a toxic asset.
Fair enough challenge and the sort of questions that are required to be answered by cllr Duggins and others

Last edited:

Captain Dart

There is little doubt it is proving difficult to bring more investment into the area an objective that appears to have featured prominantly in Council thinking.

The hotel they want to get built has not materialised.

The Council trying to get out from direct involvement in the Arena seems to have failed to because they can't get rid of SISU initiated litigation.

slyblue57

There seems barely a month goes by without reading about fuck ups by the Council tbf.
Building projects that costs millions that have no secured tenants
Hush money paid out in gagging orders
Mis-information re losses at the Godiva festival.
It does seem strange that the Cov Telegraph reports this but nothing to the Councils detrement re CCFC.
Maybe the Telegraph are in a new consortium lol.
pusb

SkyBlueZack

So they haven’t brought investment? They’ve brought economic benefits, yes. Not quite the same as investment though. No new training ground, no new hotel.

NW beat me to it lol

shmmeee

Not everyone thinks that giving the Ricoh to Sisu (not CCFC) is the best thing for the club or the city.

That doesn’t make them not a city fan, it makes them a city fan with a different opinion to you. Get over it.

Sky Blue Pete

Not everyone thinks that giving the Ricoh to Sisu (not CCFC) is the best thing for the club or the city.

That doesn’t make them not a city fan, it makes them a city fan with a different opinion to you. Get over it.
How do you square it shmmeee

shmmeee

How do you square it shmmeee

I square it as a bunch of people who, in their personal dealings with Sisu and with the legal advice they’re given, didn’t think handing over millions of pounds of tax payer assets to an organisation without a track record of doing public good was a good idea either for Coventry City or the city of Coventry.

We will never know if they were right (unless by some magic Sisu do get the Ricoh).

Having met some of the people mentioned, usually whilst at the Ricoh, I find the charge that they aren’t City fans appalling. I don’t say Nick isn’t a fan because he stans Sisu 24/7, he just had a different view.

It’s a complex scenario with many different angles and no clear answer. Maybe lay off those who have come to a different conclusion.

SkyBlueZack

That was because Sisu would use the Ricoh as leverage? Put loads of debt on it etc. How’s that turned out with wasps?

Nick

Administrator

Surely it shouldn't be about opinions, it should be about facts?

Were there reports done to say projections of actual income from having Wasps here for the city compared to the loss of CCFC that would have needed to be weighed up in pros and cons for both.

There were the promises from Wasps about the training ground in the city, hotels etc and neither have happened so while they bang on about Fisher's bullshit stadium they need to take that into consideration too.

Nick

Administrator
I square it as a bunch of people who, in their personal dealings with Sisu and with the legal advice they’re given, didn’t think handing over millions of pounds of tax payer assets to an organisation without a track record of doing public good was a good idea either for Coventry City or the city of Coventry.

We will never know if they were right (unless by some magic Sisu do get the Ricoh).

Having met some of the people mentioned, usually whilst at the Ricoh, I find the charge that they aren’t City fans appalling. I don’t say Nick isn’t a fan because he stans Sisu 24/7, he just had a different view.

It’s a complex scenario with many different angles and no clear answer. Maybe lay off those who have come to a different conclusion.

Do Lucas / Mutton etc all go to games? Does Colleen Fletcher who is regularly speaking about CCFC and preaching etc?

Must admit I don't know half of them if they walked past me but I have seen Maton (I think it was him anyway) a couple of times just walking back from a game minding his own business and not in the VIP section either.

letsallsingtogether

Funny I see Nick as a supporter not a fan.
A fan likes to watch from a distance a supporter actually goes.
I know many MUFC fans none have seen a live game or have been to a couple in there lives.

Nick

Administrator
Funny I see Nick as a supporter not a fan.

Nicest thing you have ever said.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread