Match Thread Coventry City vs. Southend United Match Thread - Saturday 29th Dec (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Should we not be expecting more than Southend? These callers are so pessimistic. We had a very good budget and we have big support. So yes I expect a top 6 or close this season.

stupot07

Another good result. First half was forgettable but much better second half. Sterling was outstanding again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stupot07

He is a danger, thought he has looked a threat from the first game vs Scunthorpe where he was on the left.
Some people said he would never score goals and doesn't look up to it, but he is showing he can score goals at this level and is learning aswell! Great 2 wins! PUSB
Who said that? He was the only striker we signed in the summer who actually has decent goals scoring stats at this level.

letsallsingtogether

[QUOTENick, post: 1668454, member: 1"]You can talk sense when you want. Usually when you agree with me ;) :)[/QUOTE]
Ouch.
Won't make a habit of it :);)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I and a bit of an idiot. I was so wound up that the red allowed the kick off even though the second player touched the Allen before the ball had travelled its circumference

I've read that three times now and still can't make head nor tail of it.

D

Deleted member 4439

Southend should have scored there

Mason off for McCallum

If this is the moment in which they had three in front of our players, with a guy closing down on burge from the angle, then the other two players looked well off-side, and the one in the middle most certainly active. Thought in general the offals didn't have a great game.

Last edited by a moderator:

stupot07

JCH played well when on but did my head in not taking that pass then not realising the defender had slipped because he was stropping
Yeah he played well, but there was also three other times he strikers/attcki g instinct.
- the poor pass/cross when he had it on the left.
- the time he overhit it and went wide, we had 2v 2 in the box and rather than pass/cross he played for a corner
- he got on the end of through just right of the goal inside the box, and you were waiting for him to cut back in and shoot but he took far too long lost the ball.

He should have had a pen though.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just about worth the win and for once we were the team that improved second half. Was surprised Westbrooke started, and even more so when he was on the right instead of Bayliss (I can't understand playing youngsters with little match experience out of position at all) but he improved as the game went on.

Hiwula showing what he can do in his favoured position and disappointing that Chaplin missed a few chances, but at least he had the chances to miss in the first place.

JCH is someone who need dropping every three or four games to give him a kick up the arse - he gets far too complacent too quickly. Looked up for it and menacing today.

Could even understand the subs today, although it's probably put MR off making them as it did look like we might be down to 10 men after Kelly got injured. Hope Thomas doesn't have to miss that second game (isn't it 10 days for loss of conciousness?) and if Shipley is out too we've got no-one playing wide. If that were the case I'd have to be considering four full backs against Wycombe, though deep down I know MR will drop Hiwula back onto the left if that were the case

Pleasantly surprised to see where we are in the table given our overall performances this year - I'd have thought about 17th - but it's also slightly annoying because you think with just a little more attacking intent in some games we could be well into play-off contention.

Ashdown

Shame to see them { Leicester } go down today ??!! Hinckley was full of coach loads of Cardiff fans !
A bit more positivity around again after this week thankfully. I'm keeping away, if I go we lose !

Magwitch

Wow, Hyam a lot of quality, won everything in the air, composed on the ball, simple short passes and some cracking cross field passes to Sterling too.
Apart from our loanees our best player imo and possibly our most valuable, that’s a worry.

no_loyalty

Some really good passing and movement in the second half, after a rather forgettable first half. Sterling was a class above, Kelly bossed the midfielder and some good delivery from Westbrooke, will let him off for his poor grass cutter cross. Solid performances from Willis and Hyam, and Mason got forward well in the second half.

Johhny Blue

Good result. Good defensive performance and Hiwula impressed me up front. But, otherwise a pretty average performance. Robins’ subs were spot on and felt Doyle and Kelly in the middle gave us stability and is something I’d consider going forward.
Kelly might be too scared to play beside Doyle again

D

Deleted member 4439

Welcome to Fantasy island Chris.

In fairness, if you look at the goal then you can see how Bayliss may have been offside (it's not quite caught within the camera's FOV) The goal

There were at least 2 missed off-sides by the assistant running the other line.

Just pleased to see cynical play unrewarded.

Mucca Mad Boys

In fairness, if you look at the goal then you can see how Bayliss may have been offside (it's not quite caught within the camera's FOV) The goal

There were at least 2 missed off-sides by the assistant running the other line.

Just pleased to see cynical play unrewarded.

He’s deluded if he genuinely thinks they had the better chances. Whilst we didn’t create clear cut chances, they didn’t offer a lot but for one set piece chance. It was pretty average game, attacking-wise, but we were the better side by far.

mark_ccfc

What makes you think that?
Another thread on here where people thought he was keen to go back to Derby? I thought the loan period was up in January anyway?

Before anyone starts on me being negative, I thought him not playing would have an adverse effect on our play - but it seems not.

Esoterica

If Thomas is out, Zain Westbrooke into the more advanced midfield position and move Bayliss to the right. I don't think Kelly has enough to his game to play higher in midfield at this level and certainly don't want to go back to 2 DMs.
I like Robins but he still didn't get it quite right today.

clint van damme

Another thread on here where people thought he was keen to go back to Derby? I thought the loan period was up in January anyway?

Before anyone starts on me being negative, I thought him not playing would have an adverse effect on our play - but it seems not.

I've no idea whether he'll stay or not, was just curious as to why you'd think he's going.

I've a hunch he'll stay, but it is just a hunch.

hill83

giphy.gif

steve82

Hiwula is the best striker in the squad.

He’s taking his opportunity.

Constantly scored 9 in in L1 previous seasons, I’m glad he’s finally the opportunity to get a run up front tho that now depends on Shipley and his knock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread