Match Thread Coventry City vs. Shrewsbury Town Match Thread - Saturday 14th Mar (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Coventry City vs. Shrewsbury Town match, tactics and predictions :)

SkyBlueDom26

We are due to give someone a spanking, lets hope we can end this awful run we have against our 'bogey team'

4-0 city

Also helps that they have Vela suspended

SkyBlueCRJ

Shrewsbury will be no walkover. It's likely they would have comfortably beaten Oxford last week if it wasn't for Vela receiving his marching orders in the first half so we shouldn't underestimate them.

They are the second lowest scorers in the league with 31 goals. Only Bolton are below them with 25 - certainly plays into our hands if our defence is on the ball. Their goals conceded isn't actually too bad given where they are in the league at 41 goals.

They've got a few good players in their team. Laurent, Cummings, Whalley, Edwards, Williams are all solid for L1. I see Laurent particularly being quite a handful - a few Shrews fans have him down as player of the season alongside Edwards.

They've beaten us, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Peterborough, Doncaster and they've drawn to Rotherham, Oxford, Fleetwood, Gillingham. So they seem to perform better against the top sides in the league.

Personally think we'll do well to get a win here. I have this as a 1-1 draw.

Paxman II

Yes a tougher game than it seems on paper. They have had good wins at times and we should not under estimate them.
Think we look a little leggy recently, but have found a way to win. Our passing game has largely disappeared and we keep going long now too. Is that due to the state of the pitches in late season or the opposition? Confidence must be high and Kelly seemed to pick up his game after a few poor performances. We should have more than enough to beat them. We also carry the 'title' of table toppers, putting fear into the opposition before the game even kicks off. Use that fear and attack fervently from the off and they will relent if we get an early goal.

0-2 City

Briles

another win by one goal I'd assume.

If we can score 2 goals in the first half then we will win 6 or 7-0 i'm sure of it.

Aaron Pierre could be out too as picked up an Injury Sat, he's one of their mainstay defenders

clint van damme

be a tough game and our players will be under a lot of pressure where as theirs won't be under any.
A win by any means necessary will do. Expecting another heart churning, stomach bouncing 90 minutes.

SkyblueTexan

Would hope for a comfortable win, but they're our bogey side and after watching the last several weeks, 1-0 to us will do.

CCFC88

Yes a tougher game than it seems on paper. They have had good wins at times and we should not under estimate them.
Think we look a little leggy recently, but have found a way to win. Our passing game has largely disappeared and we keep going long now too. Is that due to the state of the pitches in late season or the opposition? Confidence must be high and Kelly seemed to pick up his game after a few poor performances. We should have more than enough to beat them. We also carry the 'title' of table toppers, putting fear into the opposition before the game even kicks off. Use that fear and attack fervently from the off and they will relent if we get an early goal.

0-2 City
Agree that we've been going longer more recently but our goals are still coming from football on the ground or out wide, we're certainly playing into Walsh and Kelly less from the back and our patterns of play are starting with Dabo and McCallum more than Kelly and Walsh in our own half. Think this may have something to do with pitches cutting up more and wanting to avoid errors in the middle of the park

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Unchanged again. Should win. Really don't want a loss as it'll mean no-one can do the double over us this season - not sure when/if we've managed that before.

shmmeee

Tough game. Can see a draw. They’ve had some good results against teams at the top.

Same side. Keep doing what we’re doing.

Haven't beat these in the last seven meetings but I keep saying this year's team is a different Coventry city hopefully this is the game to prove that, do hope we can put a few past them and a nice easy win but take any sort of win, same 11 unless there's a knock to Allen who he might bring Shipley in for

theferret

I worry about this game. Think it will be quite flat in the ground compared to Rotherham and Sunderland. Also, ticket sales look really poor in the circumstances, a few days to go though so hope they pick up. They'll be an air of expectancy in the ground, which is natural when you're top of the league and winning consistently. After the intensity of the last few games, we have to be careful not to be complacent. Shrewsbury have nothing to lose and nothing to play for, so will probably have a go and play without fear. That may suit us though. Bogey side or not, this is the game I am worrying about most out of the next 4. Probably irrational, hope so.

usskyblue

Let’s face it, we’re all shittingbricks before every game irrespective of who we’re playing....but Squeaky and his beautiful Skyblue Basturrds do us proud every week.

2 fucking 0

(Feel free time use this CET)

Philosorapter

It does look like Shrewsbury likes the big games.

Do they do better against the higher position teams in the league, then teams lower then them?

Sure looks that way.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Not as a starter! If we evee take a 2 nil leas go for it i wud like to see him too!

So you think Godden, Allen, O’Hare, etc are all shit because you’re OK with Robins subbing them but McCallum is vital unless we are coasting?

Users who are viewing this thread