Match Thread Coventry City vs. Shrewsbury Town Match Thread - Saturday 14th Mar (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

So you think Godden, Allen, O’Hare, etc are all shit because you’re OK with Robins subbing them but McCallum is vital unless we are coasting?
You dont change a settled defence at nil nil or 1-0. It rarely happens in any games with other teams either

fernandopartridge

Yes a tougher game than it seems on paper. They have had good wins at times and we should not under estimate them.
Think we look a little leggy recently, but have found a way to win. Our passing game has largely disappeared and we keep going long now too. Is that due to the state of the pitches in late season or the opposition? Confidence must be high and Kelly seemed to pick up his game after a few poor performances. We should have more than enough to beat them. We also carry the 'title' of table toppers, putting fear into the opposition before the game even kicks off. Use that fear and attack fervently from the off and they will relent if we get an early goal.

0-2 City
God almighty, our passing game hasn't disappeared at all. We're just a bit more streetwise now and will go long when necessary. We still pass out from the back most of the time.

shmmeee

You dont change a settled defence at nil nil or 1-0. It rarely happens in any games with other teams either

He’s not just a defender though. Our wingbacks provide all our attacking width as well. That’s the point. There’s been games like Ipswich where we could’ve got more play down our left with a more attacking player. As McFadz said the defensive record starts with Godden and O’Hares chasing. It’s a bit naive to think because he’s nominally a defender you don’t touch him.

covcity4life

He’s not just a defender though. Our wingbacks provide all our attacking width as well. That’s the point. There’s been games like Ipswich where we could’ve got more play down our left with a more attacking player. As McFadz said the defensive record starts with Godden and O’Hares chasing. It’s a bit naive to think because he’s nominally a defender you don’t touch him.
There is no naivity. This is my opinion and its 1 clearly shared by mark robins

You always want shit changed. Square oegs in round holes or new sugnings in or randomly pick players to be dropord.

Real life isn't a computer game neo. You will always have to live with fact if we get promoted that u spent ya time arguing everything wasnt right. 14 games unbeaten,stacking up clean sheets,CHANGE THE DEFENCE! I mean have you nitvthought to yourself that mcallum continually helps ys to clean sheets whikst you have been pushing for this absurd change?

Shame on you

Evo1883

Officially Dabo and McCallum play left and right midfield in our system 3 4 2 1

covcity4life

Its a back 5 too

The only times i am happy for wingbsck to be subbed during a season where wins are so important is:

2 or 3 nil lead and time to experiment

Playing poorly/ being skinned by opposition wonger

Risking a suspension

Losing/drawing the game and want to freshen up wing play

Would love to see scenario 1 believe me i want to see giles play too. I dont hate him lol. But whilst we r winning by narrow margins confirming the clean sheet is my priority. Same reason you dont see park coming on to replace dabo much

Evo1883

Its a back 5 too

The only times i am happy for wingbsck to be subbed during a season where wins are so important is:

2 or 3 nil lead and time to experiment

Playing poorly/ being skinned by opposition wonger

Risking a suspension

Losing the game and want to freshen up wing play

Would love to see scenario 1 believe me i want to see giles play too. I dont hate him lol. But whilst we r winning by narrow margins confirming the clean sheet is my priority. Same reason you dont see park coming on to replace dabo much

I jest, we know it's a back 5.

Mccallum was being destroyed late on at Ipswich kept lunging in and missing and being sent to the chippy

Should have come off for me

SkyBlueDom26

Mccallum was being destroyed late on at Ipswich kept lunging in and missing and being sent to the chippy

Be interesting to see if Giles plays some part this weekend, with it being his old loan team surely this would be a good time to see what he can do

CCFC88

He was getting done but I'm not sure I'd have taken him off, just needed a bit more support, which he got from Kelly. Their winger, I think it was Judge was on one and Id have worried more with a sub coming on having to get up to speed with the game being faced with that. Robins did the right thing

Evo1883

He was getting done but I'm not sure I'd have taken him off, just needed a bit more support, which he got from Kelly. Their winger, I think it was Judge was on one and Id have worried more with a sub coming on having to get up to speed with the game being faced with that. Robins did the right thing

He did the right thing because we won... I can't argue that

shmmeee

There is no naivity. This is my opinion and its 1 clearly shared by mark robins

You always want shit changed. Square oegs in round holes or new sugnings in or randomly pick players to be dropord.

Real life isn't a computer game neo. You will always have to live with fact if we get promoted that u spent ya time arguing everything wasnt right. 14 games unbeaten,stacking up clean sheets,CHANGE THE DEFENCE! I mean have you nitvthought to yourself that mcallum continually helps ys to clean sheets whikst you have been pushing for this absurd change?

Shame on you

In 3421 the wingbacks aren’t just “the defence”. And you talk about others thinking it’s a computer game.

If you had your way this entire forum would be no posts until Robins does something then an entire thread of “excellent decision, I agree”. It’s nice that you’ve got over Mowbray though.

Magwitch

I’ve stuck up for McCallum when some on here have said he could do with resting but I was alarmed second half Saturday how easily the Ipswich right winger was getting passed him on the outside, don’t know who the player was or if he was one of the substitutes but he was bloody dangerous. Think Robins was right to stay with him and not bugger about with the defence at a vital time but perhaps showed a possible weakness.

Evo1883

No he wasn't, he got beaten once and fouled his man.

This is like last year when he got "destroyed" at home to Bradford

He struggled for much of the second half and lunged in twice towards the end and was sent to Spain.

He Didn't play well second half at all

He is currently and has been for a while now our weakest player as hard as it is for some to accept

Just saying it as I see it

Last edited:

shmmeee

My main issue is that he’s not brave enough going forward as well as a few defensive frailties. That invites pressure on us. Contrast with Dabo on the right. Sometimes when we are under the cosh a bit we could do with pushing further up the pitch and having a pacy out ball down the channels.

peaches and cream

Probably going to get the usual round of abuse but here goes, both my boys have asked to go to a City match so we are going on Saturday so i'm after information on best places to park and at what sort of time should i be thinking of leaving if i drive?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Probably going to get the usual round of abuse but here goes, both my boys have asked to go to a City match so we are going on Saturday so i'm after information on best places to park and at what sort of time should i be thinking of leaving if i drive?
Can't answer the time taken to drive as I'm not living in Cov but parking-wise, I am yet to drive on a Saturday as the train is a better option for us, but on week nights Adderley Street/New Bond Street have been perfect every time.

Nick

Administrator

You can park on the roads around there, look for somewhere safe / well lit rather than a dodgy sidestreet that's empty. Allow probably 10 more minutes for traffic but it depends on what time you want to get there.

lifeskyblue

Plenty of side roads around the ground (for free parking) and some business/factory parking for small fee.
I would aim to park up by 1:30 (2 latest) as I’m sure it will get busy as more join the promotion bandwagon.

Hope your boys enjoy it...and get the taste for supporting a proper cov team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peaches and cream

Plenty of side roads around the ground (for free parking) and some business/factory parking for small fee.
I would aim to park up by 1:30 (2 latest) as I’m sure it will get busy as more join the promotion bandwagon.

Hope your boys enjoy it...and get the taste for supporting a proper cov team

Both of my boys are born and bred in Coventry so have absolutely no issue taking them to games. There grandad and uncle are both season ticket holders so it even get me brownie points with the in-laws

peaches and cream

Can't answer the time taken to drive as I'm not living in Cov but parking-wise, I am yet to drive on a Saturday as the train is a better option for us, but on week nights Adderley Street/New Bond Street have been perfect every time.
Didn't even think to use the train to be honest so I will probably have a look at that, what's the nearest station?

lifeskyblue

Both of my boys are born and bred in Coventry so have absolutely no issue taking them to games. There grandad and uncle are both season ticket holders so it even get me brownie points with the in-laws

Always got to keep the in-laws sweet. Are you going with their grandad and uncle...perhaps travel together. Where do they park?

Depending on how old your boys are I would normally suggest you get into the ground early enough for them to enjoy the Family Zone (activities, meet past, injured and youth players, and try and win the dugout draw) but I believe due to Coronavirus some of these activities are being curtailed.

Nick

Administrator
Always got to keep the in-laws sweet. Are you going with their grandad and uncle...perhaps travel together. Where do they park?

Depending on how old your boys are I would normally suggest you get into the ground early enough for them to enjoy the Family Zone (activities, meet past, injured and youth players, and try and win the dugout draw) but I believe due to Coronavirus some of these activities are being curtailed.

Yeah I don't think players will be there.

peaches and cream

They usually go a bit earlier and go few beers first so we will probably go on our own and meet them there.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Didn't even think to use the train to be honest so I will probably have a look at that, what's the nearest station?
I come from Stratford so it's Moor Street (25 minute walk to the ground), but I believe Bordesley is the nearest station (probably 5 minutes) and that some of the Cov trains come via there, although you may need to check that.

Irish Sky Blue

Bordesley Green Girls School on Bordesley Green Road is 5 mins walk from the ground and has parking for £4.

covcity4life

In 3421 the wingbacks aren’t just “the defence”. And you talk about others thinking it’s a computer game.

If you had your way this entire forum would be no posts until Robins does something then an entire thread of “excellent decision, I agree”. It’s nice that you’ve got over Mowbray though.
Stop making assumptions of what i think. Wing backs obviously controbite to attack but we also thw defence and considerijg we have the BEST defence ib the league it would be silly to change it up for no reason other than curiousity to see the new loanee

As ccfc88 points out too there is nonguarantee a sub comes on and does better. Sometimes might be cold to game and winger gets better of them to our detrimemt. I agree and another reason why we havnt seeb giles or pask much

The front 3 can be rotated as they all give us something different at differrnt times of the game.

We dont need different in the defence. Its literally perfect

As i said their are scenarios for change and i hope we see giles at some point. I am happy to debatw footy with u but if u call sum1 naive because they disagree with u then expect it to get bitty unforuntley

Skyblueweeman

I saw Shrewsbury vs Pompey a few weeks back and they didn't look anything special.

3-1 win for us. Godden, Walsh and Hyam.

fernandopartridge

Difficult game as our record against them isn't great. That said, we were unlucky to lose to them (looked like a foul on McCallum in the build up to their goal).

Users who are viewing this thread