Match Thread Coventry City vs Rochdale Match Thread - Saturday 1st Sep (1 Viewer)

Hullinho87

I am hoping that after a night of reflection that there is less negativity and more positivity heading in to the Oxford games, particularly from those travelling.

I am also hoping and assuming that as passionate fans, those who are barracking Robins and even those calling for his head are genuinely hoping, that those who think MR’s methods will come good are proved right rather than themselves being proven right that he won’t?!

Malaka

This was my first game this season due to being out of the country. TBH after the first 10 mins we did really well and should have had the game wrapped up but didn't. We created a lot of chances and I was particularly impressed with the left back. Yes there was a sucker punch and yes they could have scored again soon after. But overall, I think that we will do OK once we find our shooting boots. I like the team, but think we do need a bit more in midfield. Maybe its just a settling in time, I think MR needs to get to know his players a little better and find the system that suits. It's early days, I am confident we will come strong

Irish Sky Blue

Is it though? Hasn’t he has all summer with most of them?
Not true. Willis, Burge and Kelly all injured. Bayliss and Sterling away with England. Quite a few of the signings were late arrivals too. They started a back a week later than other teams due to the late end of last season.In the pre season friendlies it was clear that players such as Grimmer were not at their best, something that Robins has confirmed with his comments this week, giving the reasons why.

CovInEssex

Need to play out short with Thomas and Allisanni on the wings and Bayliss not having won a header since he played in the u9's

Irish Sky Blue

At the risk of labouring the point, (but it is a point that some don’t seem to get), we lost this game not through being out played, out fought or the manager being out thought. We did not lose because the tactics or the formation was wrong. We lost because the players missed chance, after chance after chance. Presumably it was the manager’s tactics and the way that he set the team up that allowed us to make those chances. Conversely, it could be argued that the Rochdale manager was a tactical buffoon as he set up his team in such a way as to allow them to be outplayed and to concede 6 or 7 presentable chances in the first half alone. In truth, I think it was just at that stage of the game, our players were playing much better than theirs.
Against Scunthorpe, we were on top, leading and had hit the woodwork three times before they scored. (As with yesterday we should have been out of sight before they got back into it. Yes, I know they hit the post twice themselves, but we were completely dominating the game). Errors from Bayliss, Sterling and O’Brien all contributed to their equaliser, their winner was what we are lacking at the moment, a great finish. Wrong tactics costing us or individual player errors?
At Gillingham, their manager was forced to change the team due to injury. One of the subs coming on, List, was the player who caused us problems and scored their goal. If their manager is so astute, why didn’t he play him from the start rather than having to bring him on as another player was hurt? In truth, we dominated that game from start to finish and as with the Scunthorpe and Rochdale games, didn’t win because of player error, (mainly missing chances but also failing to take the many chances our players had to stop their goal), nothing to do with tactics.
Finally, winning or losing games is not the only indicator of how a team is doing.If we had played in every game this season the way we did at Blackpool I think that there would be genuine cause for concern. However, that is not the case. In the games against Scunthorpe, Gillingham and Rochdale and in the first half against Plymouth the team has played well, created chances and you can see what the manager is trying to do. The big fault has been sticking the ball in the back of the net, something everyone can see. The manager obviously knows this and has waited to get the man he thinks can solve this problem. Not good enough for the tactical experts on here who boldly state that they want Robins out now or others, who through their sniping, negative comments are virtually saying the same thing.
It just goes to show that managers, whatever they do or achieve, are given no grace whatsoever by some. For them the manager has to keep on achieving now, this game, instantly or they should be shown the door. If a manager like Raneri can win the PL with a club like Leicester and still be given the boot the following season, I don’t suppose we should be surprised that a manager like Robins, who achieves promotion with a club like ours, considering the state it was in when he took over, should be the victim of abuse from a few on here. Perhaps the surprise should be that it took until the second league game at Wimbledon before the whinging started (look at that match thread).
The message these people are giving is; we want to win games now, instantly, right this minute, irrespective of circumstances (ignoring all of the evidence of what a manager is clearly trying to do and how well the team are playing). Anything else is failure and the manager needs to go. A managerial merry go round that got us to the low point we were at a year ago and which is a proven way to ensure failure, but that is the way that some on here want us to go. Unbelievable!

Last edited:

NortonSkyBlue

At the risk of labouring the point, (but it is a point that some don’t seem to get), we lost this game not through being out played, out fought or the manager being out thought. We did not lose because the tactics or the formation was wrong. We lost because the players missed chance, after chance after chance. Presumably it was the manager’s tactics and the way that he set the team up that allowed us to make those chances. Conversely, it could be argued that the Rochdale manager was a tactical buffoon as he set up his team in such a way as to allow them to be outplayed and to concede 6 or 7 presentable chances in the first half alone. In truth, I think it was just at that stage of the game, our players were playing much better than theirs.
Against Scunthorpe, we were on top, leading and had hit the woodwork three times before they scored. (As with yesterday we should have been out of sight before they got back into it. Yes, I know they hit the post twice themselves, but we were completely dominating the game). Errors from Bayliss, Sterling and O’Brien all contributed to their equaliser, their winner was what we are lacking at the moment, a great finish. Wrong tactics costing us or individual player errors?
At Gillingham, their manager was forced to change the team due to injury. One of the subs coming on, List, was the player who caused us problems and scored their goal. If their manager is so astute, why didn’t he play him from the start rather than having to bring him on as another player was hurt? In truth, we dominated that game from start to finish and as with the Scunthorpe and Rochdale games, didn’t win because of player error, (mainly missing chances but also failing to take the many chances our players had to stop their goal), nothing to do with tactics.
Finally, winning or losing games is not the only indicator of how a team is doing.If we had played in every game this season the way we did at Blackpool I think that there would be genuine cause for concern. However, that is not the case. In the games against Scunthorpe, Gillingham and Rochdale and in the first half against Plymouth the team has played well, created chances and you can see what the manager is trying to do. The big fault has been sticking the ball in the back of the net, something everyone can see. The manager obviously knows this and has waited to get the man he thinks can solve this problem. Not good enough for the tactical experts on here who boldly state that they want Robins out now or others, who through their sniping, negative comments are virtually saying the same thing.
It just goes to show that managers, whatever they do or achieve, are given no grace whatsoever by some. For them the manager has to keep on achieving now, this game, instantly or they should be shown the door. If a manager like Raneri can win the PL with a club like Leicester and still be given the boot the following season, I don’t suppose we should be surprised that a manager like Robins, who achieves promotion with a club like ours, considering the state it was in when he took over, should be the victim of abuse from a few on here. Perhaps the surprise should be that it took until the second league game at Wimbledon before the whinging started (look at that match thread).
The message these people are giving is; we want to win games now, instantly, right this minute, irrespective of circumstances (ignoring all of the evidence of what a manager is clearly trying to do and how well the team are playing). Anything else is failure and the manager needs to go. A managerial merry go round that got us to the low point we were at a year ago and which is a proven way to ensure failure, but that is the way that some on here want us to go. Unbelievable!
We all know that Robins didn't say to the players "please miss the good chances" but it was just as concerning that we could have been a couple down in the first ten minutes of the first half and could have been 0-5 in the first 15 of the second. Rochdale were walking through our team at one stage.
I am not advocating a change other than hoping the players start taking chances and the players stop switching off.
I think that is reasonable and the manager deserves a chance to bed in the new players. As I have stated before I think that he tried to implement too many changes at once.
I am grateful that the Sunderland and Portsmouth games are at home in a month and I think that will allow us a target to aim for for. I hope we don't miss!!!

Rasputin

If matches like Blackpool were not a one off, I would be very concerned.
Matches like Rochdale and Gillingham just make me think we are nearly there and just need to stay sharp for the full 90 minutes.

Grendel

The first paragraph was nonsense so I gave up after that.

We didn’t in the first half miss chances - all were speculative long range efforts or clarke Harris trying to put power on two powder puff crosses.

Robins has made a decision to sign clarke Harris, Hiwula, Chaplin and Bakayako even before Biamou was injured but would only ever play 1. That is nonsense.

Yes he was outdone as the only reason we gained traction in the first half is they weee exposed on their left which was addressed.

They had the better actual chances and worked the keeper harder than us.

We will go down if he persists in believing a player whose only ever achieved in a poor Scottish league needs a formation building around him.

Otis

We didn’t in the first half miss chances - all were speculative long range efforts or clarke Harris trying to put power on two powder puff crosses.

Robins has made a decision to sign clarke Harris, Hiwula, Chaplin and Bakayako even before Biamou was injured but would only ever play 1. That is nonsense.

Yes he was outdone as the only reason we gained traction in the first half is they weee exposed on their left which was addressed.

We will go down if he persists in believing a player whose only ever achieved in a poor Scottish league needs a formation building around him.
All were long range efforts?

Wasn't Andreu's in the penalty area. Seemed much easier to hit the target than miss it.

Sky Blue Pete

Rubbish. Thomas clean through at the end of the half, Andreu miss from about the penalty spot. Jch putting pace on headers my arse. Those were two excellent chances as was Shipley when he chose to dance and you can add Thomas shots from edge of the box in space to good chances. Sure there were speculative shots but that list is pretty large mate

Otis

You are wrong, Grendel. Even just looking at the very short highlights, Andreu's shot was almost on the penalty spot and then JCH had a header from just around the 6 yard box.

Not all long range efforts at all.

Grendel

Rubbish. Thomas clean through at the end of the half, Andreu miss from about the penalty spot. Jch putting pace on headers my arse. Those were two excellent chances as was Shipley when he chose to dance and you can add Thomas shots from edge of the box in space to good chances. Sure there were speculative shots but that list is pretty large mate

Keep fooling yourself

Otis

Yep. There were several.

Sky Blue Harry H

A bit harsh to blame certain future relegation on Tony Andreu's inclusion. I think he will be an asset when fully fit (which most think he isn't) I'd leave him out and replace with Ogogo/Kelly (when fully fit) until he gets up to speed (can use U23s and Checkatrade), but that's up to MR. I'd still like Tom Davies back in (if only for some added aerial threat from set pieces). Impressed with Brandon Mason, and Grimmer had a good game (first 10 mins aside), although what Rochdale were doing at left back in the first half, I've no idea. Need to get the ball out to the wingers quicker, and Doyle needs to be rested every now and then, although we need someone to step up and lead the team in his absence.

Grendel

You are wrong, Grendel. Even just looking at the very short highlights, Andreu's shot was almost on the penalty spot and then JCH had a header from just around the 6 yard box.

Not all long range efforts at all.

Clarke Harris header was in the second half - the other two he had defenders on him and to say the first was a blatant miss is a joke.

Andreu is Robins prodigy so if he keeps persisting with him you are basically agreeing he needs to go

Grendel

Yep. There were several.

You live in Petes chocolate box world.

Also even if there were several (which I don’t agree) they weee missed by players robins signed weren’t they?

Grendel

Misty eyed gibberish as usual

Otis

Clarke Harris header was in the second half - the other two he had defenders on him and to say the first was a blatant miss is a joke.

Andreu is Robins prodigy so if he keeps persisting with him you are basically agreeing he needs to go
I JUST watched the highlights! JCH had a header in the first half that went inches wide.

Grendel

I JUST watched the highlights! JCH had a header in the first half that went inches wide.

Which wasn’t a glaring miss and he had to work to create it. So now your saying we need to convert the crumbs that come our way virtually all the time?

Oxford is a massive game and if we lose it we are in big trouble.

How many other teams in this league have scored one goal from open play?

Most games this season have been against teams that will struggle and we’ve looked second best on a lot of occasions in those games. Yesterday for twenty minutes in the second half they created more real chances for their forwards than we have all season.

This team has relegation strugglers written all over it

Grendel

You can't not agree.

Watch the highlights.

I have I know what I’m talking about. To be fair you did once describe Peter Vincenti as brilliant so let’s leave it at that

Otis

Which wasn’t a glaring miss and he had to work to create it. So now your saying we need to convert the crumbs that come our way virtually all the time?

Most games this season have been against teams that will struggle and we’ve looked second best on a lot of occasions in those games. Yesterday for twenty minutes in the second half they created more real chances for their forwards than we have all season.

Crumbs?

You wouldn't be saying that if it was Biamou. You'd be saying it was a bad miss.

Grendel

Crumbs?

You wouldn't be saying that if it was Biamou. You'd be saying it was a bad miss.

He’d never even got into position - if that’s a bad miss then good luck as if we’d had Biamou or Bakayoko playing they’d have not even been in position to score.

Otis

I have I know what I’m talking about. To be fair you did once describe Peter Vincenti as brilliant so let’s leave it at that
He was in one game. Stand by that. ONE game! That doesn't mean anything and you cannot use that to justify any point, so get off your high horse.

You think Biamou plays badly when everyone else says he plays well.

So let's just leave it at that shall we.

Otis

Plus, I don't get it. How come AFTER watching the highlights and seeing Andreu miss a glorious chance from well inside the penalty area, you can say we only had long range shots??

Grendel

He was in one game. Stand by that. ONE game! That doesn't mean anything and you cannot use that to justify any point, so get off your high horse.

You think Biamou plays badly when everyone else says he plays well.

So let's just leave it at that shall we.

I suggest you view the ratings thread to assess the performances of the team from everyone else in here.

Robins has signed;

Brown - higher salary than Charlton offered. Kept out by a player with 1 game before this season

Bakayoko - a player with zero goal pedigree in a team that needs goals

Biamou - a player who has an allergy to scoring goals but gets a 3 year deal

Hiwula - so prolific he can’t get Bakayoko off the bench

Ogogo - jury very much out

Sterling - already replaced by a clearly unfit Grimmer

Are you seriously telling me this is sound management?

Hullinho87

“Big” trouble? You mad man!

If we draw, we are just “in trouble”?

Win and we “survive another week”?

Grendel

Plus, I don't get it. How come AFTER watching the highlights and seeing Andreu miss a glorious chance from well inside the penalty area, you can say we only had long range shots??

Andreu is Robins golden boy and the whole team is created to suit him so be careful with that one.

Grendel

“Big” trouble? You mad man!

If we draw, we are just “in trouble”?

Win and we “survive another week”?

Most teams do not change positions after 10 in and I’d struggle to see us getting a lot from Portsmouth Barnsley and Sunderland

Otis

I suggest you view the ratings thread to assess the performances of the team from everyone else in here.

Robins has signed;

Brown - higher salary than Charlton offered. Kept out by a player with 1 game before this season

Bakayoko - a player with zero goal pedigree in a team that needs goals

Biamou - a player who has an allergy to scoring goals but gets a 3 year deal

Hiwula - so prolific he can’t get Bakayoko off the bench

Ogogo - jury very much out

Sterling - already replaced by a clearly unfit Grimmer

Are you seriously telling me this is sound management?
I am not arguing with any of that. I am merely saying we had a number of very good chances to score yesterday, especially in the first half.

I obviously have much more of a problem when we are not creating. We were definitely carving out openings yesterday and we should have scored at least 3.

My worry yesterday wasn't the attack, it was the defence.

I honestly can't see us keep missing chances like that week in week out. We keep creating chances like that we will be winning games real soon.

Grendel

I am not arguing with any of that. I am merely saying we had a number of very good chances to score yesterday, especially in the first half.

I obviously have much more of a problem when we are not creating. We were definitely carving out openings yesterday and we should have scored at least 3.

My worry yesterday wasn't the attack, it was the defence.

I honestly can't see us keep missing chances like that week in week out. We keep creating chances like that we will be winning games real soon.

Who created the better chances for the forwards - us or the opposition?

Users who are viewing this thread