Match Thread Coventry City vs Rochdale Match Thread - Saturday 1st Sep (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

Same team and 4-4-2 that started last week's match. City to score early, dominate like last week but Rochdale to collapse. City 4-0. Andreu, JCH x2, Shipley as scorers.

skyblueinBaku

Same team and 4-4-2 that started last week's match. City to score early, dominate like last week but Rochdale to collapse. City 4-0. Andreu, JCH x2, Shipley as scorers.
Yes, same team, same tactics, same intensity. Rochdale have had a poor start to the season, and if we can score early they might well collapse.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Coventry 6-1 Rochdale - Chaplin x6 Bakayoko to get sent off. Lee Burge to drop a bollock causing us to start the “we need a new goalkeeper debate” again

Bakayoko Gets sarcastically applauded off whilst the SBA sing we all dream of a team of Conor Chaplin’s as he’s clearly lived up to the hype and pressure of a 63 page thread on SBT

oucho

Agree. A thumping win to shut up some of the moaners for a bit longer.

Terry Gibson's perm

Just for Vow a drab nil nil with Bakayoko missing a hatful of chances.

Always happy

pusbccfc

3-0. Bakayoko 2, Willis 1.

Very rarely do I predict a win, however, after the performance on Saturday I'm confident we can blow these out the water.

Greggs

Just hope we can get back into the habit of holding onto a lead. If we went 1-0 up last year, you could almost relax and enjoy proceedings! Fancy a win this week!

Paxman II

Some tough fixtures coming up based on how others have started so this one is a must win.
I think we are fully capable of a good win here but will need to address that goalscorer problem.
If Ponticilli is not fancied then we must act before the loan window closes or I feel it will be a long way to the Januarywindow.
2-0

Greggs

Agree. A thumping win to shut up some of the moaners for a bit longer.
Is it moaning, or just people voicing a realistic opinion? Just because you've coloured your glasses sky blue, doesn't mean everyone else has.

oucho

Is it moaning, or just people voicing a realistic opinion? Just because you've coloured your glasses sky blue, doesn't mean everyone else has.
There's nothing to be critical of at this stage. 5 games ago we won at Wembley. Now we've recorded a decent pair of draws and a solid win; at this stage that's nothing to moan about as we are clearly competitive in this league.

Last edited:

Otis

There's nothing to be critical of at this stage. 4 games ago we won at Wembley. Now we've recorded a decent pair of draws and a solid win; at this stage that's nothing to moan about as we are clearly competitive in this league.
We have shown enough to show that we should be.

smileycov

Facebook User
3-0 I fancy, 1-0 half time two goals late on as they tire. Chaplin to make Home debut!!

oucho

We have shown enough to show that we should be.

Exactly. We're still feeling our way back in the league and getting the feel of a new-look team with many new players to bed in. I don't get why anyone would be critical of our efforts thus far (barring the Oxford cup defeat which by definition was not in the league anyway).

Philosorapter

Coventry vs Rochdale.

Rochdale are pretty much dark horses for their postition in the ratings.

IMG_1207.PNG IMG_1303.JPG

Greggs

There's nothing to be critical of at this stage. 5 games ago we won at Wembley. Now we've recorded a decent pair of draws and a solid win; at this stage that's nothing to moan about as we are clearly competitive in this league.
Didn't the club say promotion was our target this season?

oucho

Didn't the club say promotion was our target this season?

As far as I saw, they said they'd obviously want to make as much progress as possible and obviously if we can get promoted then great. But my sense has been that they haven't been too gung-ho in saying so. Whilst they may have said "we want to challenge for promotion", this is not the same as saying "it'll be a failure if we do not get promoted".

Besides, we've only had 5 games and there is nothing to indicate we won't compete for promotion - 5 games is too short a timeframe in which to read anything much about our prospects for the year. Personally, I wouldn't be unhappy with an unspectacular lower-mid table finish provided we don't get drawn into a relegation dogfight.

Sky Blue Harry H

Agreed Greggs. You've got a bit of moany juice on yours though. Go on, give them a wipe!

Last edited:

Greggs

As far as I saw, they said they'd obviously want to make as much progress as possible and obviously if we can get promoted then great. But my sense has been that they haven't been too gung-ho in saying so. Whilst they may have said "we want to challenge for promotion", this is not the same as saying "it'll be a failure if we do not get promoted".

Besides, we've only had 5 games and there is nothing to indicate we won't compete for promotion - 5 games is too short a timeframe in which to read anything much about our prospects for the year. Personally, I wouldn't be unhappy with an unspectacular lower-mid table finish provided we don't get drawn into a relegation dogfight.
1 goal from open play...giving away leads.....no apparent favoured formation or starting 11......doubts about goalkeeper.......

AFCCOVENTRY

Interesting to see if Stirling comes straight back in the team as there's a rumour that he must start as part of his loan deal.

Greggs

Exactly. We're still feeling our way back in the league and getting the feel of a new-look team with many new players to bed in. I don't get why anyone would be critical of our efforts thus far (barring the Oxford cup defeat which by definition was not in the league anyway).
Blackpool away?

oucho

1 goal from open play...giving away leads.....no apparent favoured formation or starting 11......doubts about goalkeeper.......
Blackpool away?

Another way of looking at is that we've picked up a couple of decent away points, a solid home win and suffered a predictable weeknight away defeat. The only disappointment was losing at home on the opening day, but that was first game after promotion to a team who get to the play-off final last season. There's nothing in those facts for me to be downhearted about.

skyblueelephant76

Interesting to see if Stirling comes straight back in the team as there's a rumour that he must start as part of his loan deal.
A rumour with no substance like most connected with us. It's more likely that it's a deal where what we pay for him reduces the more he plays.

skyblueinBaku

A rumour with no substance like most connected with us. It's more likely that it's a deal where what we pay for him reduces the more he plays.
If what you say is correct, I'm sure that Tim Fisher would want him to play every game for the senior team and all of the youth/development teams

Londonccfcfan

Stick with same team vs Gillingham.
As it finally looked like we gelled.

Not sure if he's fit but Ogogu will have to bide his time if he's fit.

If we don't get Chaplin in time..hope Hiwual and JP get some decent game time.

2-1 city....Andreu and JCH.

better days

I'd say there's no chance
Apparently he developed the back spasm after realising he wouldn't play on Saturday
He's got a bit to do before he gets back into the team
I think it's wrong to underestimate Mark Robins influence at the club
He wouldn't allow any 'must play' deals

mark82

Apparently he developed the back spasm after realising he wouldn't play on Saturday

People love a conspiracy. The fact is he's been playing because he is a talented young kid. It's a big step up to men's football whatever the level, it'll take time but I'm sure he'll contribute this season.

Otis

Yep.

Said before that there may be an expectation from Chelsea for us to play him as much as possible, but there wouldn't actually be any concrete agreement in place whereby he has to play.

Of course Chelsea want to see him playing regularly, but at the end of the day it will be down to Mark Robins as to whether he picks him or not.

Users who are viewing this thread