Match Thread Coventry City vs. Portsmouth Match Thread - Tuesday 2nd Oct (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

JCH & Chaplin are ok I feel JCH is playing well tonight & Saturday we have no creativity and I don’t know know why Thomas is a constant threat Bayliss is box to box centre mid hopefully Jones on the left left will bring us more creativity

Is Thomas a constant threat? He gets in good positions but so far has failed to make use of it

letsallsingtogether

Wow the negativity on here anyone would have thought we had just lost 3-0 to the bottom side.
I thought it was a close game.
Admittedly our strike force is poor our midfield don't shoot but our defence looked pretty solid. Started off the same last season goals were rare but we came good. Like to think same will happen soon.
PUSB.

Johnnythespider

We had plenty of possession, just in not very dangerous areas. I don't think they had loads of chances but we had just the one and once again wasted it. I don't think we'll be in a relegation fight but we are shocking up front. Some of the new players need to be given a few games to get up to speed, such as Agogo. It's hard to see where the goals will come from even with everybody fit.

itsabuzzard

If we continue to struggle to score, surely we will be fighting relegation?
We had plenty of possession, just in not very dangerous areas. I don't think they had loads of chances but we had just the one and once again wasted it. I don't think we'll be in a relegation fight but we are shocking up front. Some of the new players need to be given a few games to get up to speed, such as Agogo. It's hard to see where the goals will come from even with everybody fit.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

cc84cov

Grimmer & Mason back we will have full backs who can bomb on and join the attack JCH & Chaplin I think will do ok

Terry Gibson's perm

We don’t move the ball forward quickly enough and always look to involve Doyle, the whole side is short on goals and unless we change something it will be a long hard season

cc84cov

We don’t move the ball forward quickly enough and always look to involve Doyle, the whole side is short on goals and unless we change something it will be a long hard season
I think we’re missing grimmer and mason 2 full backs who can bomb on and join attacks

The CableGuy

Frustrating night. If we was still playing now we still wouldn't have scored. Our final ball lacked quality, but we were playing against a quality team at the top of the table.

cc84cov

How people can think we’re what off is beyond me.Beat Barnsley drew with Sunderland who we should of beat and matched Pompey tonight fine margins JCH score the 1 on 1 it could of been very different same as chaplin missing his 1 on 1 last sat...

McNulty I feel buries both of them 1 on 1s

Ashdown

Portsmouth were nothing special. It's sad when your centre backs are by far your best players at home. We need to get Doyle off every dead ball and get a bit of fire into our team, they spend half the game trying to make friends with the opposition. Players need to have a pop at goal, so little confidence.

Nick

Administrator
How people can think we’re what off is beyond me.Beat Barnsley drew with Sunderland who we should of beat and matched Pompey tonight fine margins JCH score the 1 on 1 it could of been very different same as chaplin missing his 1 on 1 last sat...

McNulty I feel buries both of them 1 on 1s
Should doesn't mean anything though does it?

LilleSkyBlue

I don't feel as negative as a lot of posters here. I thought there was plenty of sharp, accurate forward passing and a lot of pleasing possession. I agreed with Dietmar Bruck on the commentary - we had certainly got on top of them in the first half. Their goal from a long punt was predictable (how many this season have we conceded like that?) and it felt like the winner as it went in. Not because we were playing badly, but because you just cannot see how we'll score, unless one of those long, ultra-precise and thus hopeful daisy-cutter balls from Bayliss is not cut out and makes it through to Thomas.

I say Thomas because you can basically forget the strikers on show tonight. Clarke-Harris bustles and barges about. Andreu would be great if there was anyone for him to play in but on second thoughts, if that's Hiwula, he may as well not bother. I still hold out some hope that Chaplin will start converting chances and Jones will start creating some. He looked all right tonight.

Still, Portsmouth were solid but painfully limited and a draw should have been within our capabilities.

Ah bollocks to it all, we lost 0-1 at home. Bollocks.

lifeskyblue

I thought Portsmouth were very clever tonight: contained and controlled us easily. We had the majority of play but apart from the hesitation that led to the JCH chance they didn’t give us anything. Their centre half Motm for me. I thought Willis and sterling were pretty good and burge and the rest of defence didn’t have much to do second half. We have to create more otherwise we are going to get a lot of 1-0 defeats or 0-0 draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greggs

Injuries starting to mount up too. We're only a defensive injury away from a disaster

Terry Gibson's perm

I think we’re missing grimmer and mason 2 full backs who can bomb on and join attacks

They will but then Shipley and Thomas will either sit in and drop Draper so we will gain little also as few actually go in the box any crosses they put in will be catching practice

Covstu

Portsmouth were nothing special. It's sad when your centre backs are by far your best players at home. We need to get Doyle off every dead ball and get a bit of fire into our team, they spend half the game trying to make friends with the opposition. Players need to have a pop at goal, so little confidence.
Their centre halves didn’t break sweat however, perfect away setup

Covstu

I thought Portsmouth were very clever tonight: contained and controlled us easily. We had the majority of play but apart from the hesitation that led to the JCH chance they didn’t give us anything. Their centre half Motm for me. I thought Willis and sterling were pretty good and burge and the rest of defence didn’t have much to do second half. We have to create more otherwise we are going to get a lot of 1-0 defeats or 0-0 draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly this, stifled our play all night and restricted any attacks we had although I think we made it way too easy for them

Esoterica

Robins was given a squad last year that was better than the rest of the division and we scraped the play offs with it. He's done great things off the pitch but on it he's so defensive that I can't see what his plan is to win games. He signed too many players and can't put a coherent team together or influence a game that is drifting away. Doyle is the player our team is built around but he's the reason this side will never be better than mid table. This season is boiling down to getting the kids a year in L1 and finding a replacement for Doyle going forward. Might be a winner in the long term but won't be fun to watch this year - there's just so much wrong with it. A right winger who can't pass or shoot, a snail paced DM undermining our attacking play, a talented youngster being asked to do the running for 2 in CM and a left midfielder who isn't really a left midfielder struggling to make an impact after a meteoric rise in the 1st team.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Our attack is very poor, but it's made even worse with our midfield behind them.

Shipley, Thomas, Doyle, and Bayliss are all underperforming for what is required at this level.

The passing and creation is sub-par from every single one of them. I would say in fairness to Doyle, it's hard to see how effective he can be at this level when he's babysitting the others, but equally that doesn't excuse him taking all the set pieces and doing them badly. Have we got no one better?

The defence and (for all his fairly warranted stick) Burge are the only reason we are not currently in the relegation zone.

JCH and Chaplin might work, but the whole midfield needs dismantling for me. I'd probably drop at least 2 or 3 of them from tonight going forwards.

SlowerThanPlatt

So 11 games in which of Robin’s signings to turn us into a good League 1 side have been successful so far? Brandon Mason at a push?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Is Thomas a constant threat? He gets in good positions but so far has failed to make use of it

Thomas was once compared to Kent early on in hisCCFC career. I kindasee the link now. Gets the ball, gets you off your seat, nothing comes of it, you sit back down!

Clearly had ability but just too rabbit-in-headlights at times for me. Then again, George Thomas was like that early on in his first team career too, and look how he ended up........oh, hang on, in a reserve team, scrap that ;)

Esoterica

Our attack is very poor, but it's made even worse with our midfield behind them.

Shipley, Thomas, Doyle, and Bayliss are all underperforming for what is required at this level.

The passing and creation is sub-par from every single one of them. I would say in fairness to Doyle, it's hard to see how effective he can be at this level when he's babysitting the others, but equally that doesn't excuse him taking all the set pieces and doing them badly. Have we got no one better?

The defence and (for all his fairly warranted stick) Burge are the only reason we are not currently in the relegation zone.

JCH and Chaplin might work, but the whole midfield needs dismantling for me. I'd probably drop at least 2 or 3 of them from tonight going forwards.
Doyle isn't babysitting anyone, it's a myth. He's not controlling anyone - watch him. All he does is bollock other people's bad passes and then proceed to hoof it out for a goal kick himself. He's on borrowed time because he's no longer leading by example.

Adge

Well that was abysmal! Didn’t even threaten the keeper in the 2nd half once. Poor poor showing.

cc84cov

So 11 games in which of Robin’s signings to turn us into a good League 1 side have been successful so far? Brandon Mason at a push?
I said after 4 games mason was the pick...

I think Ogogo will come good maybe brown too but Baka seems one for the future at the minute.I’ll take staying in league 1 this season all day.

NorthernWisdom

Would be interested to know which of those were Robin's signings.
In that context, the quote from Robins during the Chaplin saga was interesting.

Mark Robins said:
I keep saying to the head of recruitment that we need to do something, that we need to move.

He's not in full control of transfers, seemingly. I get the continuity argument (we've been shafted in the past with managers moving on and taking all their scouting with them) but there's definitely an argument not to overthink it at lower league level, and keep it simple.

Users who are viewing this thread